Five Shows, Zero ‘Bump’

Wrong, Mr. President. The health care reform bill clearly says “tax” when you clearly say otherwise. I’d call you a liar, but that would make me a racist.

Five. Five Sunday talk shows. And not to mention the friendly confines of the Late Show with David Letterman tonight. President Barack Obama is certainly on a roll — or, at the very least, on the television. Constantly. More than Oprah, Law & Order and the Slap-Chop combined. But why?

From the look of the Rasmussen Daily Presidential Tracking Poll, the president’s poll numbers have not received even the slightest bump upwards from his Sunday morning media blitz, so Operation Television Saturation likely isn’t about working to increase Obama’s approval rating.

From the look of issue-specific polling on the health care reform proposals currently being sold by the president and his Democrats, most Americans feel that deficit reduction and not health care should be the real priority, so White House whoring to the mainstream press probably isn’t about ginning up support for the president’s planned reforms. And, heck, the Democrats can pass any bill they want, anyway.

Call me a cynic, but I figure that the president’s on-air menage a cinq was more about Obama himself, and less about any specific issue or message. It is becoming abundantly clear that this president views speechifying, not principled leadership and decision-making, as the hallmark of governance, and in the president’s mind Sunday likely came off as a masterstroke.

To be solipsistic (to bring back perhaps my favorite word to describe Barack Obama) is to believe that little if anything else exists or is relevant beyond what is in a person’s own mind. In Barack Obama’s mind, delivering a 45-minute partisan lecture filled with half-truths and wholesome rhetoric is as important as anything else in his presidency. Obama has gone through his entire life able to talk his way into and out of anything, including the Oval Office, and that his rhetoric fails to resonate with a growing number of Americans is impossible for him to understand. His solution: talk more. Hence the speech to the joint session of Congress. Hence the speech to our schoolchildren on education. Hence the speech to the hated capitalists on Wall Street. Hence the 60 Minutes interview. And hence the appearance on not one, not two, but five Sunday morning talk shows yesterday.

For me, it makes me smile. He’s like a pre-teen trying to lie his way out of a lie, or my mid-potty-training three-year-old who says with a shocked look on her face, “I did not pee,” when clearly she’s in need of a new pair of underpants. It’s a little bit endearing. It’s a little bit sad. It’s a whole lot frustrating. But it’s kind of fun to watch.

Comments

1. John Feeny says:

I've been saying it, and I've been saying it, and I dedicate a reasonable degree of space to this in my book, but hard-leftists – those on the left who don't want to hear anything except what they want to hear…are nothing but stunted adolescents. A great majority of them have unresolved issues with their parents (see..oh, wait..our president!) and are firmly against the abstract concept of GROWTH in all of its manifestations – think about it…we're not talking merely about economic growth…we're talking about growth of every conceivable kind – economic, spiritual, emotional – you name it. It all comes back to one, basic underlying cause – for whatever traumatic reason, these are people who either refuse to grow up and/or are incapable of seeing the world through any prism other than that of an 18-year-old.
    They simply cannot cross that threshold and want to eliminate all boundaries, either real or imagined.

Jeff, you're absolutely correct….
    it would be somewhat amusing, if only these people weren't so freaking dangerous.

He is a red shoed clown, and was busted in this interview.

3. goddessdivine says:

Obama just likes to hear himself talk. And I find it funny that he's only preaching to the choir. To go on ABC, CBS, NBC, etc, he's talking to the 'journalists' who already adore him, and reaching the small audience that thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. The snub of Chris Wallace and Fox is only detrimental to his cause. (And seriously, the Late Night Show?!) FoxNews is creaming everyone in the ratings AND contains the viewers he needs to convince.

His little talk-show circuit will do nothing to boost his numbers. He just doesn't get it.

Jeff, please don't tell me you're endeared to BO. And, even though it is interesting how you compare BO to your daughter, really, I think your wife would appreciate that you don't insult your daughter that way.

Otherwise I liked your article.

Have a nice day.

mmm

That reminds me… About a week ago, I talked to my classmate who lives in Germany. Among other things, I asked him whether he watched Obama a year ago. He astonished me by saying yes, but then added a very enlightening detail: there was a rock concert with free beer following Obama's speech. Many in the crowd did not even know who Obama was. Now, I thought, serve free beer with Sarah Palin's speech and you'll have half the country attending…

That last paragraph IS Obama to a T.

Ha-ha-ha-ha-HA! Funnnnnnny! Can't get a rise in approval rating with five TV appearances! ROFLMAO!

"solipsistic" — Jeff, how do you even remember how to spell this word, when I'm not sure I can even pronounce it?

Like a cold sore that won't go away. Burning out my TV remote trying to surf over everything this guy is on.

Andrew Breitbart at biggovernment.com with more exposing evidence. I just want to know IS THIS IMPEACHABLE???

EXPLOSIVE new audio reveals White House using NEA to push partisan agenda…

His approval rating is 55%, actually up from 54%(see CNN poll of polls..average of six national polls). By not going down any lower he can still get his healthcare plan passed.

I think John Feeney is a leftist plant. He is trying to make right wing zealots look like idiots who make no sense at all.

12. Tilli says:

You are the king….you used slap-chop.

13. Bodenzee says:

I never thought that I'd watch cooking shows by choice, but that's all I can find at noon time that Barry hasn't taken over.

Advertising works and companies spend millions of dollars to boost sales of their products. Apparently they feel it works, but it's shocking to realize a deodorant or soft drink commercial could outperform five different same-day Obama appearances. Obviously, the man has lost his ability to sway the masses. Some might be happy about this, but I fear this is where things start to become REALLY scary in our government.

"solipsistic" – Is that like "solid lipstick" –like on a pig?

Kind of like trying to scrape burnt toast to make it edible. It looks better, but it still smells like burnt toast.

Anon at 1:22…roflmao…!!!

Bodenzee, I know how you feel–and I hate watching a cooking show, too!

You know, it's a bit unfair, with 535 of them plus Obama and each one of us battling their aggressive control.

I found some polls on Facebook or MySpace (forget which–I'm dyslexic) but every one of the polls showed the same trends as the Rasmussen Reports polls. We aren't the only ones who are cringing at the thought of Obama and his regime.

19. THESPIAN IN CHIEF says:

He likes 'playing' President, but he is not so good at 'being' a President.

20. ALL CAPS MAN says:

As he flits from stage to stage, his administration leaks secret VITAl war reports.

When the cool cat's away, the rats will play.

21. Chris R says:

The show was very entertaining and enlightening.

I'm glad Obama is our President.

22. eHarmony says:

Chris is desperate.

23. Marc O says:

I saw Obama on Letterman last night. I was not impressed by the way Letterman brown-nosed to the POTUS, and most of his questions were noticeable softballs. The whole episode left me unimpressed. Too much shmoozing, too little substance.

Are you saying he looks like burnt toast 1:22? racist!. rotflmao

25. Jake Hartfield says:

You guys are haters and you continue to talk crap about this guy and he hasn't been In the office a year yet. All of you racist bastards need to find a solution to your miserable lives I mean come on. You want a republican to screw you over more and drive this country into a whole, Obama didn't start the war Bush did so he can get fat on his oil dividends get with it people, Bush killed your nieces, nephews, Husbands, Cousins, Boyfriends and baby's daddy's Obama had nothing to do with that is it because he's black YES ignorant people that's why when God returns all you are going to burn crispy fried chicken style.

26. Proud Hater says:

Yep, I am a hater, of his policies, and his friends; and most definitely of his sequestered history.

27. Col. Sanders says:

Jake,
    if I will be burning fried chicken style, where will the bi-sexual, fetus murdering, lieing guy be?

28. Call me Sam says:

My life isn't miserable, it's quite nice actually. I am trying to prevent it from becoming miserable Mr. Hartfield.

I am not miserable; I have never even considered bombing the Pentagon, like a lot of his friends have actually done.

> All of you racist bastards need to find a solution to your
    > miserable lives I mean come on.

I have a perfect solution but it is kinda illegal, not to mention the blog owner doesn't approve of it. And my problem is not with Obama being Black, but rather with him behaving like one.

31. Sam says:

And I am an Independent, with a bumper sticker calling for a TOTALLY new Congress, so don't be so offended I don't like your beloved leader. He is just one cog in this three branch machine of 545 people that are off the track.

Jake Hartsfield–

Temper–Temper!

You said, "You want a republican to screw you over more and drive this country into a whole (sic), Obama didn't start the war Bush did so he can get fat on his oil dividends get with it people…."

A financial deficit is a HOLE, not the sum of its parts.

And what George W. spent on the war is a walk in the park on Sunday morning compared to the damage Obama/Soetoro has done and is doing. It will take a really good conservative to straighten this mess out. If you don't believe me, ask yourself why the progressives (socialists) are RUSHING everything, why is everything a CRISIS, and what the h3ll does Obama/Soetoro know about economics when he sought out and studied Communism?

Get real. He's the puppet for the internationalists who are well on their way to overthrowing this Republic.

We should all lighten up and allow this guy a FULL 4 YEARS to totally F**K up our country.

- Jakes therapist

To "Jake Hartfield":

You know, Jake, I'm kinda tired of being called a racist by Obama supporters. Is that the best that you can do to refute the arguments against the path and policies of the Obama sdminstration?

Have you done any objective research as to what actually constitutes traditional conservatism vs liberal progressivism so that you can understand what this site is all about?

I think that the first person who uses the word "racist" as a defense is most likely the racist in the crowd, don't you?

Yes, there are a few racist comments that slip past Jeff's watchful eye, but they are truly few compared with all of the fact-based comments. There's nothing that shows weakness of position more that trying to paint your opposition with an excessively broad brush.

So join the debate, but use commonly accessible and objective points of reference – maybe like the Constitution, or something like that we can all relate to – to support your position; not playground name-calling. That diminishes you and I, for one, would like to build you up.

Old Bob

35. Ian Thorpe says:

In the UK our favourite image of the liar who can't stop is the kid with chocolate all around the mouth whi is standing next to a half eatern chocolate cake and when asked "did you eat the cake?" says no and blames an imaginary friend / monkey.

Oh but hush my mouth, chocolate is brown isn't it? What am I saying, that Obama would stole the chocolate cake because he is African American?

This Presidency is going to get sillier and sillier.

36. constant gina says:

wow…Obama has to be one of the most actve presidents have seen in a long time…he is EVERYWHERE!!