9/12 By the Numbers

I’ve been meaning to do this all day, but only now have the chance to do so. Below, from various media sources, are the estimates as to attendance at this past Saturday’s march on Washington. Many thanks to the folks at American Thinker and at Hot Air who already did much of the dirty work and compiled numbers from various sources. I found a few more estimates as well.

Anyway, the numbers:

If I had to venture a guess, I’d say that there was anywhere between 600,000 to 900,000 people there. Keep in mind, though, that a stomach bug unfortunately kept me out of DC personally on Saturday, and I am only comparing what I’ve seen on television and in photos with my experience going to an SEC school with an on-campus stadium that holds slightly upwards of 87,451 Auburn fans.

The real story, for me, was the conduct of the people involved. I’ve exchanged e-mails and had conversations with more than a few folks who attended the event, and all said that everybody was on their best behavior. There was some yelling and chanting, for sure, but swearing and other unfortunate conduct was kept at a minimum. An acquaintance in the Capitol Police said that, while officials were taken aback by the size of the event, they had little to fear from the people themselves — because of the nature of the people.

When the Tax Day event rolled through a soggy Philadelphia last April, I noted that nobody had left behind even a trace of garbage at Love Park. Well, whether the attendance this weekend was truly in the hundreds of thousands or upwards of a million, Gateway Pundit did exactly what I was hoping someone would do and contrasted the litter left behind following Barack Obama’s inauguration with the litter left behind by tea party attendees. Two of the photos are below, and I want to take it a bit further, and include video from the aftermath of the inauguration.

The National Mall following Saturday’s event.

The National Mall following Barack Obama’s inauguration.

As impressed as I am with the conduct and the passion displayed by concerned Americans this past weekend, I am even more impressed with the turnout. While it is difficult to garner objective attendance estimates from rallies such as the Million Man March and Martin Luther King, Jr.’s 1963 march on Washington, the National Park Service is indeed saying that the tea party event from last weekend could have eclipsed everything else in history.

Regardless of whether that’s entirely accurate, we saw a gathering of everyday concerned Americans from coast to coast who truly chose to come together of their own volition. No big-shot personality to organize it. Nothing of the sort. Unlike some other people we know, not a day goes by when I’m not proud of my country. This weekend, though, I was even more proud of America than ever before

Comments

1. elspeth says:

Jeff, I too am very proud of my fellow Americans. Not only for showing up, for cleaning up, and for conducting themselves as someone of whom we can all be proud, but for waking up!

I think a lot of the waking up can be attributed to you and the other writers here at AR and other similar blogs.

Thank you, Jeff, contributing writers, and fellow Americans alike!

elspeth

2. Bodenzee says:

Why should I expect anything less from civilized people who love their country. It is Obama's uncivilized followers that have and will continue to desecrate the nation. They don't know any better. They are largely under educated (its not 'kool' to study hard)…they have yet to be truly civilized.

I've seen an animated gif that overlays the inauguration/USA image to an aerial of 9/12 in DC. I can't find it now. Anyone else see that animated gif? There were far more outside the overlay provided for 1/20/09.

4. Michele says:

We met w/ Bart Gordon to take him some partitions and he was arrogant. He has got to go. At one point and time he said that his wife paid more taxes than everyone of us in that room combined. He also said he didn't know anything about the 9/12 march and said when is it? We met w/ him on 9/11. We were shocked that he didn't even know it was 9/11. Did congress not take a moment of silence for the victims of 9/11. I know the flags were lowered but did the congress?

Stand up and be proud! Don't let them minimize all we are doing. We are going to WIN!

5. elspeth says:

Here is a link to the page with the animated gif using an overlay of the USAToday inauguration day image to compare to the turn out for the 9/12 march on DC. The animated gif is at the bottom of the posting:

I suggest you remove the pictures that compare the difference between the Usurper's "Inauguration" crowd and the Tea Party crowd.

The Tea Party "after" picture proves there was no crowd since there was no trash.

The "after picture" from last January shows evidence of a crowd.

You know that's how Editors at the NYT et al. are preparing to spin the story.

7. elspeth says:

Sorry, folks! The animated gif of which I provided a link has the PromiseKeepers image as a base, not 9/12 DC.

8. goddessdivine says:

Wow–what a contrast.

And we wonder why FoxNews' numbers are skyrocketing and everyone else's are plummeting: The former report the news!! The more these other sorry networks continue to downplay these events and not report things–like the ACORN corruption–they are pulling their own plugs. They have no reason to complain that their subscriptions and/or viewers are dwindling.

The Park Service went with 1.6 million while the University of IL went with 1.7 million, but it really doesn't matter. There could have been 5 million there and they would have been ignored by Obama, the White House, and the media. Actually, I'm glad they are underestimating the numbers. It means they will be utterly surprised when push comes to shove later on.

Why is the media ignoring the march? why is the government ignoring the march? why is everything the protest was there to protest is still going to happen? Simple, it was right there in the middle of the article:

"The people I encountered at the march were the most civil, passionate, and solicitous crowd I have ever seen on such a large scale. There was no thuggery, trash talk or trash, pushing or shoving".

The silent majority has been so silent for so long that no one can hear you shout. We don't know how to protest. Write a letter? call your Senator? Wake up, THEY DON'T CARE.

Remember the old saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". We are not "squeaky" enough to gain attention. There could have been 5 million people there and it still would not have mattered. We are not angry enough yet.
    The big news today is how "clean" the "protesters" left the area.

Look at the attention a dozen code pink whack jobs get protesting out side a Marine recruiting office. They get headlines, interviews and are in the news for weeks. One million patriotic Americans march peacefully thru DC, yawn.

When the left protests they have PR agents, media relations and they know how to get the medias attention. Hell, the media will show up at their event and wait for the go sign to film their 2 minutes so they can all go home. Then you watch a major protest on TV, but it was really only 15 people and lasted all of 5 minutes.

The government is going to pass what they want and we will end up obeying their new laws and paying our new taxes. Why, because we are civil, law abiding people who haven't been pushed enough to snap and start busting some heads.

What our wonderful stroll thru the Capital needed was a few broken windows and some cars set on fire, then it would be on the news and then the politicians might think "oh $hit we pushed them to far".

The best possible example of this "violence works" scenario is on display in the UK right now. Are muslims taking over the UK by peacefully marching, carrying funny signs and singing we shall over come? No, they are shouting, rioting, raping, burning, assaulting and stealing the UK and all of Europe. Every politician over there is bending over backwards to fill every demand to make them happy and the victims, regular citizens who have no voice, who wont stoop to that level and are losing everything as they peacefully march to their enslavement.

Wake up. Until they know you are angry enough to actually do something they will ridicule you and do as they please. Some fool once said "the pen is mightier than the sword", sure bring a pen to a sword fight and I will prove you wrong. But right now pens are being used to take our freedom, our earnings and our lives while we sit waiting for their pens to take our "swords" too.

The time to stop this assault on our liberties and our Nation is now. After seeing how easily the "G" rated family hour on Saturday was ignored it is time to step it up and let them know we mean business, that they can't ignore us. They are laughing at us, Pelosi, Reid, Obama and every politician in Chicago probably wet themselves laughing so hard at our demonstration and what little effect it will have.

2010 will be too late, laws once passed are almost impossible to undo. Government agencies once created are just as impossible to dismantle. They have the power and will not give it up so easily. You think your Senator will listen to you or to Obama? He goes along with Obama then all that stimulus money for the DNC and ACORN will be used to ensure his re-election. He obeys his constituents and does what is right then they will leave him out to dry and ACORN will buy his seat for someone else who will obey.

You/we are not rich enough or mad enough yet to stop this.
    So as king barry has said "it is time to get in their faces and push back"…HARD.

Anon at 5:30…check out Michelle Malkin or American Thinker. Perhaps Drudge…not sure, but I saw it on one of those. I'm thinking it's Michelle's site somewhere.

12. Robert Wallace says:

10:43 PM – Can you get a source on those? The conservatives are getting punked right now with that Parks and Services quote about "the biggest rally, ever". That was a quote about THE INAUGURATION, not the 9/12 protests. You can see it in an article written for the Boston Globe in JANUARY:

Some liberals are laughing really, really hard right now as that quote managed to get onto American Thinker and has been making the rounds since then.

Johhny:

Fox reported the U of I number of 1.7 mil just minutes ago. Hope that helps!

Lisa in TX

14. Robert Wallace says:

Lisa-

Was that on TV? Do you have a link?

Robert…Glenn Beck discussed the U of I thing, too… with Greta last night on her show…

This isn't a very good source since it lacks backup links, but hope it helps.

I am proud of our patriotic American citizens, too.

I just wish I could say the same for members of the Obama/Soetoro regime.