The Shout [Only] Heard ‘Round the New York Times Newsroom

I didn’t hear it – did you?

I watched the video clip over and over and over again. Each time, I grinned as I saw House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s head nearly explode. Each time, I looked closely to see if any portion of Vice President Joe Biden’s own brand of astroturf jumped ship from his hairline when he shook his head in feigned disgust. Each time, I noted how the president’s knee-jerk reaction was to point out and make a momentary mental note of the dissenter before him. Indeed, I watched the video clip several times. Not once, however, did I hear South Carolina Rep. Joe Wilson utter the word “boy.”

In a column entitled Boy, oh, Boy, New York Times writer Maureen Dowd said she heard it. Unspoken or not, according to Dowd, Joe Wilson shouted out “you lie, boy!” at the president of the United States.

Surrounded by middle-aged white guys–a sepia snapshot of the days when such pols ran Washington like their own men’s club–Joe Wilson yelled “You lie!” at a president who didn’t.

But, fair or not, what I heard was an unspoken word in the air: You lie, boy!

Arguing incorrectly that “no Democrat ever shouted ‘liar’ at W. when he was hawking a fake case for war in Iraq,” Dowd explained that Joe Wilson’s “shocking disrespect for the office of the president” convinced her that “[s]ome people just can’t believe a black man is president and will never accept it.”

Forget for a moment that Democrats loudly booed former President George W. Bush during the 2005 State of the Union address, or that Nevada Sen. Harry Reid, a Democrat, famously called Bush a “liar” and even more famously repeatedly refused to apologize for doing so — the issue here is Dowd’s treatment of Wilson, specifically her willingness to manufacture from thin air a statement universally acknowledged as inflammatory and place it squarely into the congressman’s own mouth as if he had said it himself. However, rather than being the manifestation of deep-seated regional racism, perhaps there’s a more plausible explanation for Wilson’s outburst: the president was lying.

On Wednesday night, Barack Obama stated that “[t]here are also those who claim that our reform effort will insure illegal immigrants” and claimed that “this, too, is false — the reforms I’m proposing would not apply to those who are here illegally.” The Congressional Research Service, however, released a report finding that, in reality, “[u]nder H.R. 3200, a ‘Health Insurance Exchange’ would begin operation in 2013 and would offer private plans alongside a public option … H.R. 3200 does not contain any restrictions on noncitizens—whether legally or illegally present, or in the United States temporarily or permanently—participating in the exchange.”

This plan, a “Health Insurance Exchange” opening for business in 2013, was the exact plan being touted by the president in Wednesday night’s speech. Furthermore, according to a fact-checking memo disseminated by the House Republican Conference, “Nothing in any of the Democrat bills would require individuals to verify their citizenship or identity prior to receiving taxpayer-subsidized benefits-making the President’s promise one that the legislation itself does not keep.” In fact, according to The Hill, Republicans offered an amendment to the committee bill which would have both specifically required the government to obtain verification of citizenship before enrolling individuals and provided for enforcement of such a requirement; in their growing tradition of unilateralism, however, the Democrats rejected it.

In fact, it wasn’t until Friday evening that the White House provided clarification on its stance on illegal immigrants and health care reform. Even MSNBC, on organization which lusts after the president with as much unparalleled adolescent fervor as does Dowd, admitted that Friday was “the first time as far as we know” that the Obama administration disclosed it was “backing a provision that would require proof of citizenship before someone could enroll in a plan selected on the exchange.”

On Wednesday, that means, Congressman Joe Wilson was absolutely, unequivocally right — the president of the United States was knowingly, purposefully, deliberately lying not only to Congress, but more importantly to approximately 32 million Americans watching the address and looking to Barack Obama for the truth about the fate of one-sixth of the American economy and, on a more personal and essential level, their own health care.

And, as I pointed out in the wee hours of Thursday morning and again later on that day, coverage of illegal immigrants wasn’t the only issue that the president overtly lied about that night. He lied about health care reform providing coverage to every American. He lied about the American people’s ability to keep their current doctors and health plans. He lied about the cost of so-called “uncompensated care.” He lied about the former presence of a provision mandating end-of-life counseling as a cost-cutting measure. He lied about federal dollars not being used to fund abortions. He lied about the plan being deficit-neutral. He lied about the overall cost of health care reform, and the ability to pay for it by excising waste from Medicare and other programs. He lied about “seeking common ground” and working to garner input from Republicans.

Forget all that, though. Forget the facts. It’s obvious that Joe Wilson, overcome with emotion stemming from a long and arduous fight and from watching the president of the United States nonchalantly spew fabrications and misrepresentations at the American people for nearly an hour, shouted “you lie!” only because he simply cannot believe a black man is president, and that he cannot and will not accept it. Personally, I firmly believe that the president was lying on Wednesday night — I guess that makes me a racist, too.

That being said, let’s get back to Maureen Dowd. I’m not done with her yet.

Not since Jayson Blair egregiously manufactured stories for The New York Times has there been such an embarrassment to journalism as this piece of garbage penned by Dowd, a bitter, partisan, worthless, Beltway-born plagiarist. This is the same writer who, in March of last year, responded to Rev. Jeremiah Wright’s description of our nation as the “United States of KKK-A” and assertion that “Hillary [Clinton] ain’t never been called a nigger!” by viciously denouncing him as … wait for it … a “wackadoodle.” Yet Joe Wilson, who never uttered a single questionable word, is somehow the latest rabid, racist hatemonger from a long line of rabid, racist hatemongers.

So here’s a woman–a journalist, by some accounts at least–who has no problem whatsoever largely giving a pass to an actual, bona-fide racist openly making racist statements, yet feels it necessary to completely fabricate racist statements and project them onto a white congressman–who, in reality, did not say or even insinuate anything of the sort–when she feels the need to protect the president by distracting from damaging facts and arguments.

Anybody looking for the root cause of the continued racial divide in America need look no further than political smutpeddlers like Maureen Dowd. Simply put, a truly post-racial America doesn’t fit their political agenda.

It’s one thing to “inadvertently” lift a paragraph from another writer and claim it as her own, but it’s another ball game altogether to manufacture a racial slur and claim it to be said by another person, nevertheless an elected congressman. If anybody should be apologizing here, it should be Dowd — not Wilson. Heck, given her propensity to reproduce other people’s material, I’m surprised Dowd passed on the opportunity to parrot the personal attack being propagated by the Jordan Fabian of The Hill, who ever-so-substantively pointed out on Thursday that Wilson had admitted in 2007 to—oh, no!—regularly taking caffeine pills when coffee wasn’t readily available.

Instead, in order to validate her prized but embattled president, Dowd made the conscious decision to dredge up some of South Carolina’s more unfortunate race-related history, dating all the way back to the War For State’s Rights. Unfortunately for Dowd and her disgraceful ilk, doing so does not hide that the American political left is simply unable to advocate factually its plans for the destruction of our health care system and our country, and that they have no choice but to distract an awakening American populace with shallow, worthless race-baiting. You think it’s bad now — just wait until this time next year, when the Democrats are faced with the possibility of losing control of both the House and Senate. As a writer who longs for the days of objective journalism, I shudder to think of the partisan filth Dowd’s keyboard will be vomiting forth at that point.

In 1796, 18th century British statesman Edmund Burke–who only twenty-five years before had argued strenuously in Parliament for the very American rights currently being micturated upon by this president described it as “an economy of truth.” During an election campaign in 1906, former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill deemed it “terminological inexactitude.” Last Wednesday, confronted with a president deliberately misinforming the American people in order to advance his agenda, Congressman Joe Wilson called it something a whole lot simpler: lies.

Joe Wilson’s outburst may have been a breach of congressional decorum, but his core statement directed at the president—“you lie!”—was absolutely, unmistakably correct. Obama lied to the American people. President of the United States Barack Obama intentionally, deliberately, consciously, knowingly, premeditatively lied to the very people he supposedly serves in a shallow, superficial, angry attempt to rationalize an agenda as unpopular as it is un-American.

That’s the real story here. A responsible, honest, intelligent journalist would understand that.

Boy, oh boy. I guess that tells us all we need to know about Maureen Dowd.

Comments

I think that if anyone is going to be calling names, (s)he should come up with something at least ad definitive as Rev. James Manning's label of "long-legged Mack Daddy" as he refers to well, that long-legged Mack Daddy occupying the White House! But "wackadoodle?" Is that the best Dowd could come up with after her hallucination of "boy?"

The problem with liberal progressives is that they fight with "feelings" against conservatives who give "just the facts."

Sorry, Dowd, but your long-legged Mack Daddy is, was, and will be a liar.

Want to know why his approval rating is tanking? Because he had no integrity, no dignity, no class, no brain, no compassion for a grieving America on 9/11, and just can't seem to understand why his charm is not still working; two million people came to Washington, D.C. to tell him about it in no uncertain terms.

In the following 48 hours after the deafening wordless "boy," Wilson about doubled his campaign contributions of the last two years. Miller, his opponent, had to lend himself almost as much as he already had. Keep picking on Joe Wilson–America loves and respects him!

Wackadoodle. Geez!

What's the difference in jumping up and down like a bunch of yay-hoos, and clapping as excitedly as though they'd just been told that everyone had the winning lottery numbers, and an honest man telling a liar that he'd been caught in the act? Both were exercising freedom of speech.

The yay-hoos were supportive of lies and propaganda; the honest man was not. Now which is REALLY worse?

3. TInners says:

No Jeff, I couldn't tell at all that you were angry. Not at all.

Tim

4. TJ says:

What shocks me most is that most of the people leaving comments on her article actually agree that he was being racist.

How can "You lie" be construed as racism in any way? Oh, that's right, let's mentally add the unspoken word "boy" on the end.

Um, commentator number 3 said "The right wing loves authority and confidence. Let's show it to them in spades." What? Did I just see the word "spades"? Isn't that racist? Or is it okay because it's in plural form?

IMHO, it's the democrats who won't let racism die.

verification word: vismut – very import smut – what that whole article is

Acorn busted in New York

biggovernment.com

6. Pat in NC says:

Perhaps Dowd doth protest too much and actually harbors racism in her heart but attempts to cover her hate by projecting it on to everyone else.

I yelled at the TV before the congressman because I knew the attempts to include verification of citizenship had been defeated. I also know that "women's health' is vaguely written and Sibelius will write the rules and regs that interpret the nuanced bill to include abortion. The bill is so vague that the administration will interpret it as they want even if
    Congress says the opposite.

Discussing distortions, exaggerations and outright lies perpetrated by liberal journalists is not unlike reciting multiplication table. Some things just never change.

Oh, and I hope Rep. Joe Wilson is indeed a racist, in addition to being an oddity of an honest politician. I'd hate my fifty-bucks contribution to have gone to another P.C.-addict.

8. Teri~Facedown says:

I was basically called a racist last week because I questioned a liberal when he called that Americans "demand civility in Congress." I challenged him about that statement, because we all know how civil the liberals were toward GWB when he spoke. (I do believe there needs to be respect and decorum, but not just on a party basis.)
    Anyway, this guy knows I am a conservative and knows that I am also a christian–so instead of taking ownership of his complete bias–he literally asked me WWJD? (What Would Jesus Do?) He then proceeded to tell me that Jesus would "never let a child go without health insurance just because it was on the wrong side of a man made border."
    Really?
    Then he told me that as I prayed on Sunday not to forget to tell Jesus that I didn't want any brown babies in my hospital.

Here's the hilarious thing. Every Thursday I take care of a friends newly adopted baby. This baby is three months old, he is an adorable half caucasian half hispanic baby. And I watch him for free because my friends spent a boat load on adopting him, and it's something small I can do to help out. (I would take care of him everyday if I could–but I'm a wife, a mom to 3 children, work part time and go to school full time–Thursday is my only day off.)

So on the very day I was told that I don't care about brown babies–I was literally CARING for one all day!

All I can say is, as intelligent as some liberals can be, they sure are stupid.

9. Bodenzee says:

Don't be too hard on Maureen Dowd, I hear that old women "hear things" that never happened as they get close to senility.

10. Jack Ott says:

Maureen Dowd has merely joined liberals all over the country who, because of the emptiness of their arguments, have resorted to name-calling like a group of arguing children.

If Joe Wilson's comment can be called racist, as is now the case with many of the conservative arguments, it could easily be said that FDR's declaration of war against the Japanese was racist.

This in from Reuters:
    "Saudi foreign minister undergoes surgery in U.S."

But according to BO and the liberal ding-dongs, we have a broken health care system that is substandard to many others in the world.

BO – You Lie!

I encourage all of you on Facebook to join his Facebook page and show your support http://www.facebook.com/JoeWilsonforCongress

The liberals are fighting hard because they fear him ;) they can only hide behind the "racism" front for so long.

13. tanarg says:

Rather amusing, I thought, that the WH seems to dispute her interpretation.

The only people accusing anyone of racism are the racists themselves!

15. Still a Patriot says:

Hi Jeff -

I was listening to NPR yesterday where a member of the press who was actually in the room said he thought Wilson's reaction was like a primal scream resulting from so much pent-up anger. While he didn't excuse him, he thought the apology was accepted & it was time to move on.

I listen to NPR to get a perspective on the liberal mindset. Sometimes they surprise me by actually presenting an unbiased report.

Is there any way Wilson can sue this Dowd for defamation of character or something?

We have to remember – the truth will win in the end. The "father of lies" will ultimately be defeated.

Susan

16. EBONY v IVORY says:

Racism: Kanye's treatment of Taylor Swift at the Music Awards

17. Claudia says:

Rush just made a comment about Dowd and a thing she said during the campaign….. she made a comment about Obama's big ears and he told her that she was being a bit offensive and she (DOWD)stated "wer're just trying to toughen you up, boy" …. SO WHO IS REALLY THE RACIST in this liberal conversation group, Wilson for stating a KNOWN TRUTH or DOWD for being a RACIST by her use of that race baiting slang word from way back in the 1040's….??? Seems to me Wilson was right, hell, even I was yelling at my TV screen YOU LYING….

18. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

No kidding, Claudia? I remember the comment, but I don't remember the "boy."

Gosh, I wish I knew that last night.

Thanks for pointing it out!

19. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

No kidding, Claudia? I remember the comment, but I don't remember the "boy."

Gosh, I wish I knew that last night.

Thanks for pointing it out!

"Criticizing While White". Is that a misdemeanor?

'Bout time for Dowd to face a panel??

Wonder what Cass Sunstein really feels about someone AS OLD, and this might not be PC, someone as unhealthy as Maureen? Careful Dowd, you might be setting yourself up for a Sunstein/Holdren 'intervention' ala Kervorkian.

Obama Admits Rep. Wilson Was Right
    by Bryan Fischer, AFA Director of Issue Analysis

The White House has now conceded that Rep. Joe Wilson was exactly right when he accused President Obama of lying when Mr. Obama denied that illegal aliens would be covered under the

24. Tilli says:

Hey Jeff,

Love the article.

I did a little looking and Dowd did NOT add the word BOY to her comment. She did say they were trying to toughen him up. Joking about his ears.

25. California Mom says:

LOVED this article Jeff!! We ALL have a right to be angry right now. I only wish I could put it into words as eloquently as you have! We need more people like you to tell it how it is!! Thanks Jeff :>

26. Dee says:

I wrote to Dowd when she went off about Sarah Palin. I told her that she sounded like a 7th grader who is jealous of the nicest girl in the class. Dowd should be on MSNBC where they are all name callers.

Obama loses credibility when he speaks out against violence entering into the abortion debate because he is able to conveniently forget that abortion is the most violent of attacks.

As the unfortunate possessor of the most selective memory on earth, everything he says has to be run through the prism of his selective memory, and that is not a policy which Americans are going to endorse.

28. goddessdivine says:

Who hasn't taken a caffeine pill?! Sheesh; the things they go after….

Maybe Dowd had a senior moment. Or maybe she's a fraud. Whatever the case, she is a disgrace. She needs to be called out and taken to the cleaners, so to speak, for her own lies and misconduct as a writer for a news establishment.

I am soooo sick of the race card. Can't anyone disagree with the president w/o being accused as a racist? By the way–racism is not a one-way street. Many of these accusers need to look in the mirror. When you have 96% of the black community voting for a black candidate (many of whom did so because of his race), I think that speaks volumes.

Maureen Dowd should be fired…yesterday!

30. Claudia says:

All I know is that Rush stated that she said "boy" at the end of that comment about toughening him up during the campaign. I didn't hear anythhing other than what Rush said yesterday about it, so to all you who say that she didn't say it, go ask Rush,… I am sure he has a clip of the exact comment….. somewhere, as he is sure to have kept it, since he referenced it yesterday

Dog-gone! JIMMY CARTER has stepped into it!

I suppose now that the progressive Democrats will make it a law that people can't say anything against Obama/Soetoro under penalty of arrest on racist charges?

I don't care what color Obama/Soetoro's skin is; I DO CARE that he is sucking the life out of our independence from the federal government. That means, we're losing our freedom.

Trackbacks

1. [...] ‘light-skinned’ tenor of Reid’s remarks, it definitely bordered on racist. Kind of similar to Maureen Dowd’s claim that South Carolina Rep. Joe Wilson’s “You Lie!” outburst during one of President Obama’s [...]

2. [...] next weekend, in her typical sensationalist, partisan and race-obsessed fashion, New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd read a racist remark into Wilson’s outburst, insisting that she heard [...]