The 9/12 March on Washington

I read yesterday that White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs feigned ignorance (as opposed to other days, when the ignorance is genuine) with regard to today’s gathering of concerned Americans, saying something along the lines of “well, we’re not certain that anything is going on” and asking “what group is it?”

Oh, there is definitely something going on. Thanks to a lingering stomach bug and far too much work to do for school, I’m unfortunately watching it on television. And, honestly, it’s more the stomach bug than the schoolwork — I can fake the reading to a certain extent, but a 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Washington trip without a restroom in my current condition . . . that wouldn’t be good for anybody.

From the look of things, though, there must be at least 100,000 men, women and children there. I’m so gosh-darned proud to be an American.

Just a few notes as the afternoon has progressed:

First, I really like seeing Mike Pence and Jim DeMint there, speaking to and mixing with the crowd. I’ve always like DeMint and, while I was unsure about Pence for a bit, the work that he has been doing with the House Republican Conference shows that he gets it, shows that he’s willing to shape the GOP and push it in the right direction, recognizing that it is the most realistic political vehicle to move once again toward a limited federal government. It’s people like these two, Pence in the House and DeMint in the Senate, that give me pause when folks advocate dumping everyone and starting over. That they have continued to stand fast while nearly everyone around them have been tacking toward bigger government says something about how much they’ll be needed in the future.

“If the Republican Party will carry the banner for the people who are here today, I think that the wide majority of Americans will come with us,” DeMint said a few minutes ago. “I just hope that the rest of the Republicans here in Congress will be smart enough to see that.” And he’s absolutely, positively right. I understand the lack of faith in the GOP and the two-party system in general, but right now remaking the party in the mold of small-government, free-market conservatism will give us a far better chance at saving our nation than would scrapping the GOP and starting over while the Democrats continue to motor along. The key will be staying on top of things and never taking anything for granted once we’ve wrested control of our government.

Mike Pence touched upon that very idea, admitting that “in 2006 and 2008, Republicans did not just lose our right to govern, we lost our way.” The GOP lost those elections, he said, “because we walked away from the principles that have drawn hundreds of thousands of people to the Capitol today, to tea parties all across the country, and to town hall meetings.” That’s why what we’ve seen over the past few months has been so important.

Second, see this write-up from the Daily Mail for some good commentary and great photos. I guess we have to leave it to the Brits to report fairly about what is going on in America. Incidentially, MSNBC and the New York Times have dismissed the number of attendees as merely “thousands,” while CNN, the Daily Mail and some others seem to be measuring in the millions. I love this country!

Third, Here are Pence’s full remarks, as delivered to the masses:

I am Mike Pence. I am from Indiana, and it is an honor to welcome the largest gathering of conservatives in American history to your nation’s capitol.

There are some politicians who think of you people as astroturf. Un-American. I’ve got to be honest with you, after nine years of fighting runaway spending here on this hill, you people look like the cavalry to me.

We stand together at a historic moment in the life of the conservative movement and in the life of this great country. The coming weeks and months may well set the course for this nation for a generation. How we as conservatives respond to these challenges, could determine whether America retains her place in the world as a beacon of freedom or whether we slip into the abyss that has swallowed much of Europe in an avalanche of socialism.

While some are prepared to write the obituary on capitalism and the conservative movement, I believe we are on the verge of a great American awakening. And it will begin here and begin now and begin with you.

This Administration and this Congress are getting a badly needed history lesson, starting with just what our founders meant by ‘consent of the governed.’ If silence is consent, it is now revoked.

We the people, do not consent to runaway federal spending. We the people, do not consent to the notion that we can borrow and spend and bail our way back to a growing America. And we the people, do not consent to government-run insurance that will cause millions of Americans to lose the insurance they have, and that will lead us to a government takeover of health care in this nation.

This week, the president came to this hill and he gave one more speech about the same bad plan. Mr. President, America doesn’t want another speech, we want another health care plan that is built on freedom.

And we the people, do not consent to Members of Congress passing thousand-page bills without anybody ever reading them. Members of Congress should be required to read ever major bill that Congress adopts. I’ve got to be honest with you, I think Members of Congress should read major bills, but I’d be just as happy if some of them read this just a little more often – the Constitution of the United States.

You know, there is a lot of good stuff in there and it reminds us that we are a nation led by the people, and not the elites and the bureaucrats and the politicians. It reminds us that the powers not delegated to the federal government by the Constitution are reserved to the states or to the people.

And nowhere in our Constitution can you find the word ‘czar.’ It is time Washington, D.C. became a No Czar Zone.

The American people are not happy. But it is not just about dollars and cents. It is about who we are as a nation.

As Ronald Reagan said in 1964, it’s about whether ‘we abandon the American Revolution and confess that a little intellectual elite in a far-distant capital can plan our lives for us better than we can plan them ourselves.’ My money is on the American people. My money is on freedom. My money is on the future.

This great national Capitol is filled with memorials to freedom’s heroes. Americans whose faces are carved in bronze, whose names adorn monuments, and just across that river, lie the remains of Americans who paid freedom’s price so we could gather here today. In their time, they did freedom’s work as citizens and patriots. Now it’s our turn.

Let us do as those great Americans we remember in this city have done before: let us stand and fight for freedom. And if we hold the banner of freedom high, I believe with all my heart that the good and great people of this country will rally to our cause, we will take this Congress back in 2010 and we will take this Country back in 2012, so help us God.

Comments

1. darkleo777 says:

Capitol Cam blocked out…hmmmmmmmmmm http://www.earthcam.com/usa/dc/metrosquare/

CNN reports thousands of protesters in washington, MSNBC says thousands…real numbers 1.2 – 1.5 MILLION.

Wonder what Gibbs is smoking?

Jeff, I hope you feel better soon.

I'm so excited that — gee– I'm just all wee weed up!

H O O R A Y ! ! !

America, you GO, Girl!

I am here in D.C. At LEAST 200-250,000 people. At LEAST…

Thanks for covering this Jeff, I'm watching it on C-SPAN and surprised they are doing wide shots of the crowd. I'm impressed C-SPAN is covering it at all. If I didn't have kids I would have flown to DC to add to the numbers.

Thanks to everyone that was able to attend!

TJ

GRRR

American Thinker has a nice article report HUGE crowds. It has a picture from TrafficLand.com that shows a HUGE crowd on the street but the flag is at half mast. Protocol would have the flag at full staff on 9-12.

trafficland.com is showing an empty street and flag at full staff.

Someone is lying here and it sadly looks like it's American Thinker :(

Any thoughts, anyone?

TJ

The whole street cam thing has been bothering me all afternoon. I found this youtube video from the AP, it shows the flag at half mast and the streets full. I called a friend that lives in the DC area she confirmed the flags were still at half mast and not raised till noonish on the 12th.

Looks like American Thinker is okay. Now the problem is with the street cams, where were all the people?

Sorry for thinking so much on your Blog,

TJ

I hope you feel better soon, Jeff. Stomach bug is a nasty thing and getting far from a very available bathroom is a deadly adventure. The presence of your quill on AR is more important than that of your boots in Washington D.C.

As for Jim deMint, I see him as the only viable candidate for a 2012 run the GOP is left with. Impeccably conservative record, vast exposure to every legislative aspect in the Senate, and possibly the cleanest linen of all people on the Hill. – what's not to love? I am actually surprised he has not visited Iowa yet.

8. Sue says:

I have to admit, I sent more than a few scathing emails and phone calls to Mike Pence a few years back regarding his stance on illegals…Today, I am PROUD to say that he is my Representative in the House. Way to go, Mike…we will be keeping an eye on you in the future…

I can fake the reading to a certain extent, but a 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Washington trip without a restroom in my current condition . . . that wouldn't be good for anybody.

Oversharing!!!!!

Hope you feel better! :-)

It would have been nice if the main occupant of the Whitehouse was at home when his GUESTS arrived. It was definitely a wonderful opportunity to show some bi-partisan concern. Wouldn't it have been nice to have a message from Obama stating that he is HEARING our cries!!! Yikes…what will it take???

Kudos to DeMint and Pence for being smart enought to recognize the writing on the wall (major kudos to De Mint for correcting Fox by saying on camera hundreds of thousands of people were there – not 'tens").

If the lack of coverage of this historic event and under reporting of numbers attending is not proof positive that the legacy media is dead, I don't know what is!!

12. Ann says:

Jeff

Just got back home from D.C. The crowd stretched from the white house to the Washington Monument.
    And as far as the eye could see in every direction. We all marched from the white house up Penn. Ave. for hours we just kept arriving. The entire street was covered. All sizes, ages and races. There were people from all over the country and it was peaceful and so powerful. Of course we all knew it would be downplayed by the msm but we were there. And there were so many cameras they will not be able to deny the size of this MOB for long.
    You would have been very proud. The last estimate we received was between 2.1 to 2.7 Mil. So much for tens of thousands. It was truly Awesome.

Ann

Glad you're waking up to Pence, Jeff. I sure wish Michael Steele would.

14. thunderprince says:

Yes – what is wrong with Michael Steele?? He should be on the news everyday reinforcing our plight talking about the 9/12 gathering – not just an occasional letter asking for money every other week.

He needs to get out there on the news programs and saying the things that the people are saying -look at their signs if he can't figure out how to respond he is the wrong spokesperson for the party!!!

15. Chris L. says:

9/12. The Washington Tea Party!Another historic date that will be forever imprinted in my memory. I arrived with a group of chartered buses from South Jersey. We emerged from the Metro onto Pennsylvania Ave. to a surreal scene of sign carrying patriots as far as the eye could see down towards the very distant Capital. The roar of the cheering crowd literally rolled down the street in waves toward us like water from a broken dam. In fact, I am certain that the dam of pent up discontent and frustration with our wayward government has been unleashed, and there is no going back. As the day went on, we were hearing ridiculous reports that the "lame street media" was reporting phony small crowd numbers. I made a point of periodically asking the DC police around the perimeter what the crowd estimates were. 1 to 1.5 million at around 2pm, with people still pouring in and the beltway jammed. This from a command center at the foot of the Capital steps. (had a satellite tower next to the trailer) The officer there said they can estimate the crowd well because they know how many can fit in each designated quadrant and street surrounding the area. I was actually shocked how few police were on duty for crowd control. It appeared that they had way underestimated the expected numbers. That many people, and yet so peaceful, civil, and orderly. People were very respectful, not leaving trash where they stood. (remember the pigpen left behind after the inauguration crowd) although they did not have nearly enough trash receptacles available. BTW Jeff, we waited in line for almost an hour to use the port'o potties! Amazingly, the ACORN and SEIU thugs were conspiculously absent, guess they do not "work" on Saturdays, or slithered away to hide when they saw the magnitude of the crowd they would try to be disrupting.
    It was a truly magical day, we were not rained on by one single drop, though the sky was threatening.(kept us cool) Every now and then the sun would pop through the thickest of dark clouds, and shine down upon us. Divine Providence was intervening yesterday in oh so many ways. From my first Tea Party at Independece Hall this past winter, to the steps of the Capital, returning home last night I feel hopeful that I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and I am forever changed.

16. FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT says:

WASHINGTON – The White House and its Democratic allies on Sunday tried to play down the role of a government insurance option in health care legislation as the party in power worked to reclaim momentum on President Barack Obama's top domestic priority.

His spokesman described the public option as just one way to achieve Obama's goal of providing coverage to the estimated 45 uninsured Americans without insurance. His senior adviser contended the White House was ready to accept that Congress would reject the idea, though he, too, said it was an option, not a make-or-break choice.

Congressional Democrats took care to say the idea, backed by liberals and targeted by conservatives, is not a deal breaker in a debate that has consumed Washington for the summer and shows now sign of abating.

17. A BOOK TO READ says:

One of the first things Stalin, Hitler, Mao, and other totalitarians did was rewrite the histories of their nations, remaking the past to bolster their control of the present. The American Left has done the same thing in our country: Most American history books — both for students and adults — are riddled with PC nonsense that makes the Founding Fathers over into racist slaveholders, the settlers of the West into genocidal land-stealers, and the welfare state into America's ultimate triumph.

But conservatives and patriotic Americans have an antidote: The Politically Incorrect Guide™to American History is a handy one-volume guide to our nation's glorious past that has one key advantage over today's dozens of dreary PC history books. This one tells you what really happened — not what liberals wish had happened.

From the Puritans through the drafting of the Constitution, the Civil War, the World Wars, the failure of the "Great Society" to the fiasco of the Clinton Administration, this brightly written book gives you the whole truth and nothing but the truth about our great nation: History professor Thomas E. Woods presents the Founding Fathers as the visionary heroes they were, discusses the real causes of the Civil War and World War I fairly and objectively, and examines in depth the ravages of statism, high taxes, and the war against American initiative.

-Human Events

verification word: imettle
    "I mettle" Michelle Obama

I would love to see a headline, "March on D.C. Draws 2 Million"

(sub head:)
    "Inauguration Crowd Dwarfed"

Estimate the crowd. Here's a chart and pictures

It looks easily like over a million people to me. This march was the biggest Washington march in American history. M.L. King had approximately 250,000. Million Man March had between 300,000 and 400,000.
    It's time that they listen to us. We will get stronger!

Just received an open letter to Barack Obama, which needs sharing:

Dear President Obama:

Today I read of your administration's plan to re-define September 11 as a National Service Day. Sir, it's time we had a talk.

During your campaign, Americans watched as you made mockery of our tradition of standing and crossing your heart when the Pledge of Allegiance was spoken. You refused to comply as an American. You, out of four people on the stage, were the only one not honoring our tradition.

We noticed.

During one of your many speeches, Americans heard you say that you intended to visit all 57 states. We all know that Islam, not America, has 57 states.

We noticed.

When President Bush leaned over at Ground Zero and gently placed a flower on the memorial, you tossed your flower onto the pile without leaning over.

We noticed.

Everytime you apologized to other countries for America's position on an issue, we have wondered why you don't share our pride in this great country. When you have heard foreign leaders berate our country and our beliefs, you have not defended us. You called us 'arrogant' in a national speech abroad.

We noticed.

When your pastor of 20 years damned America and said that 9/11 was "America's chickens coming home to roost," you denied having heard anti-white, anti-American, bigoted recriminations out of the mouth of your "avuncular" pastor, we wondered how that could be. When you later disassociated yourself from that church and pastor because it was politically expedient to do so,

we noticed.

When you announced that you would transform America, we wondered why. With all her faults, America is still the greatest country on earth. Sir, if not for America and the people who built her, you wouldn't be sitting in the White House now. Prior to your election to the highest office in this country, you were briefly a senator from Illinois, and not a remarkable one.

We noticed.

All through your campaign and even now, you have surrounded yourself with individuals who are basically unqualified for the positions you appointed them to. Worse than that, the majority of them are people who, like you, bear no special gratitude, respect or affection for this country and her traditions.

We noticed.

You are 6 months into your term, and every morning millions of Americans wake up to a new horror heaped upon us by you. You seek to saddle working Americans with a health reform package that, along with cap and trade, will bankrupt this nation.

We noticed.

We seek, by protesting, to let our representatives know that we are not in favor of these crippling expenditures, and we are labeled "un-American," "racist." We wonder how we are supposed to let you know how frustrated we are. You have attempted to make our protests seem isolated.

We noticed.

On September 11, 2001, there were no Republicans or Democrats, only Americans. We all grieved together and helped each other as one. The attack on 9/11 was carried out only because we are Americans.

We noticed.

There were many of us who prayed that, as a black president, you could help unite this nation even more. In six months you have done more to destroy this nation than anyone since 9/11.

We noticed.

September 11 is a day of remembrance for all Americans. You propose to make 9/11 a "National Service Day." While we we've noticed that you don't share our reverence for 9/11, we pray that history will report your proposal as what it is: a disgrace.

When Americans come together again as one, it will be to remove you from office. You have made a mockery of our Constitution and the office you hold. You are an embarrassment to us as a nation.

We have noticed all these things. We will deal with you.

I was at the rally and march…I took my 20 yr. old and 77 yr old mother. It was the best day ever! I could go on and on, but I will give my take on the #'s:

My son, a UT student, says that 100,000 attend their football games, and that there were many times more than that. There were people jam-packed as far as the eye could see, down Pennsylvania Ave., Constitution Ave., on the West, North, and South lawns of the Capitol, and even on parts of the mall even though people were told to leave there b/c we did not have a permit for the mall. There HAD to be at least 1 MILLION there…no other answer makes sense!

It is impossible to describe the sheer magnitude of the crowd. It was simply breathtaking! More and more people poured in all day long, and it was reported that the highways feeding into DC were completely jammed.

I am so mad that Fox is reporting "official" numbers as only at 60,000! What the heck!!! I can assure everyone that this is a LUDICROUS report!

One of my favorite signs was: "Bankrupting America one un-read bill at a time."

There were SO MANY fabulous and creative signs. Everyone was so well behaved and peaceful. We had a great spot towards the front middle near the stage, and I will tell you that once you left that area to go to the porta johns back on Pennsylvania Ave., you weren't allowed back into the closest area. I know from experience, but I begged the police to let me back in! Many, many elderly people stood for 6 hours straight to take part and hear all the speakers! My family was unprepared, so we didn't have anything to eat or drink for that 6 hours! But it was worth it! I will never forget yesterday, and I am thrilled that my 20 year old got to experience a such a historic event. He loved it!

Lisa in TX

22. Linda says:

Rix: I have been looking to DeMint to make a run at 2012 for quite some time. Hopefully someone will present that prospect to him and he'll give it some very serious thought.

23. Jan says:

I so wanted to be in DC yesterday. Instead I kicked my 12 year old son off the XBox and I was there with them in spirit. I am so proud of my countrymen and women and will do all in my power to make sure I am available for the next time they need people power!

24. RoBoTech says:

Robert "Jibbs", WH Press Secretary is the laughing stock of the World! He has taken "Baghdad Bob,Iraq Misinformation Minister's" place in this Socialist Admin.
    Remember "Baghdad Bob" during the last 2-3 days before Baghdad fell? He was standing on a roof balcony in Baghdad with the World Press ans saying "There are NO American Military in Baghdad" while 2 klicks behind him, an A40 Warthog was flying, mini-gun moaning. The epitome of stupidity, at least till Bob "Jibbs (Jowls?)".
    By saying on Fri, 9/11, that the WH knew nothing of a rally, even tho it had been publicized for over 5 months, AND the Tea Party Express had been on the road for 12 days with the publicized intent of stopping it's tour in DC on the 12th, yet "No American Citizen rally in DC" was all Gibby could say?
    Monimizing the rally, then having from 102 MILLION marchers show up, HAD to be embarring to the WH. It damn sure embarressed me to hear such "misinformation" coming from the sewer Gibbs calls a mouth. This denigration of "We the People" WILL bite The Socialist Liar Obama, and his agenda, in the buttocks. I hope they continue to denounce the grass roots movement, it will hasten their demise. And the Million Man March was DWARFED by the 9/12 DC Rally. The Mall was filled to capacity and that's over a Million, PLUS there was no where to even sit by 8:30AM! Even Obama's Inauguration was not that dense in attendence!
    "Backstreet Bob Gibbs" is a buffoon.

25. Brian says:

Mr. Schrieber, I was at the protest in DC and it was amazing. All those people and no violence, incredible! I'm going off topic and I would like you to check out a story coming from Canada about the " alleged " 2008 election fraud. Please go to http:// canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/14583. I don't know if you are aware of it, but I would like you to check it out. Keep up the good work you are doing for us all. Everyone else should look at this article also. God bless the world. Thank you.

Axelrod has just come out with a statement about the march on Washington yesterday. In his words…"They're wrong." He goes on to say that those who are protesting do not represent the views of the broader public.
    Well, I believe that for every one person that was in Washington DC yesterday protesting BIG GOV there were 10 at home cheering them on and with them in spirit!!! I believe there is a far larger representation against BIG GOV than meets the eye. Some of us could not be there…but believe me, if it takes place again, just watch the turnout. I am so angered by the propaganda put forth by this administration.
    Thank you, Jeff, for all you do to present the truth is a straight forward way. We appreciate this blog site.

That statement by Axelrod was reported on FOX…

A BOOK TO READ:
    A truly P.C.-free book would have the dreary n-word in it on pretty much every page past MLK's assassination's story. I am sure he'd shudder in his grave if he saw what his ideas were turned into.

29. Still a Patriot says:

Hi Jeff -

Thanks for printing Pence's speech. "No czar zone" – I love it!

I am so proud of all the Patriots who exercised their right of peaceful assembly. I prayed for their safety & success, as I could not attend. I believe God was smiling down on them!

Susan

30. Michele says:

Jeff, I was there also. It was amazing. I didn't want to leave. My body ached so bad from standing so long and holding signs above my head. We were singing, applauding, cheering, crying and laughing. There were people of all ages, but there were elderly there that could barely walk, but they proudly leaned on their canes and walked all that distance to the Capitol.

You know, I never thought about it but, "We own the Dome"! And it has been taken over by a bunch of people that just want power and do not believe in the true "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA". I am here to tell all of you that were not able to attend that we thought of you and knew you were there in spirit. Together we are going to take back America. Get involved in any way you can.

We all may not have the money they have but strength comes in numbers.

We met w/ Bart Gordon to take him some partitions and he was arrogant. He has got to go. At one point and time he said that his wife paid more taxes than everyone of us in that room combined. He also said he didn't know anything about the 9/12 march and said when is it? We met w/ him on 9/11. We were shocked that he didn't even know it was 9/11. Did congress not take a moment of silence for the victims of 9/11. I know the flags were lowered but did the congress?

Stand up and be proud! Don't let them minimize all we are doing. We are going to WIN!

31. Aria says:

I have done my own study base on a devised stationary methodology and calculation which you can find here.

It's backed by visual evidence (pictures and clips) all available in the same entry, plus determining the boundaries of the rally and calculation of the final tally derived from the density of the crowd at each given block. My calculus puts the figures around 130k up to 160k.