The ‘Rifqa Bary Facebook Fatwa’

So here we have a lovely young woman who, after converting to Christianity, is fearful for her life and wants nothing more than legal intervention enjoining her from returning from Florida to her parents in Ohio, where she could very likely face an honor killing. To the court, to the media and to the world, her parents argue that Islam is a religion of peace, that Rifqa is in no danger, that it is the Christian minister who has brought such fantasies into her mind.

Is it?

Thanks to Pam Geller at Atlas Shrugs, we see that a Facebook group has popped up in which threats are made to kill Rifqa Bary. Her crime? Apostasy. Punishable, they say, by death.

This young woman is the new face of the violence and subjugation of women inherent in radical Islam. As Geller points out, “Salman Rushdie did far less.”

And yet we as a civilized nation continue to be so caught up in our politically correct nonsense that we refuse to see and identify evil right in front of us. We continue to watch as the left labels concerned everyday Americans as “extremists” and “domestic terrorists” when the real radicals are on our doorstep.

Furthermore, where are the women’s groups? Where are the women’s rights activists coming out for this young woman? The practice of honor killings has come to the forefront, and yet there is deafening silence from the National Organization for Women, the same non-response after stories of women stoned for committing adultery, arrested for talking to men at a coffee shop, imprisoned for daring to drive a car. Where are they? Why can’t they stand up for Rifqa?

I hate to get political, but it always frustrates me to see the double standard. Hollywood activist actresses like Annette Bening and Alfre Woodard have no problem traveling to Iran, congressional fools like House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has no qualms about traveling to Syria, donning headscarves and lauding a culture which kills women for apostasy, stones women for adultery, whips women for socializing, and looks upon women as third-class citizens, but once they return to the States they turn right around and show up at events sponsored by NOW and its discriminatory counterparts.

Where are these people for Rifqa Bary? My God, you see it — this girl faces death if she is forced to return home to her family. And yet we hide behind this inexplicable need for tolerance in the face of murder. I don’t get it.

Comments

1. C.M. Hatem says:

Jeff, I hate to say this because I know what's coming my way for having said something but, there's no credible threat identified from her parents and the threat from outside the family is likely as real in Florida as it is in Ohio.

It is a bad situation all the way around but, all things being equal, that girl belongs with her family.

I've followed the case locally and as I said, there's no credible threat here.

Of course, I took heat back in the 90's too because I supported the return of elian to his Father as well.

The term "Radical Islam" is a redundancy.

It makes no sense to any intelligent person.

C.M. Hatem, Elian's mother gave her life for her son to get out of Cuba and into a free America. She died for NOTHING!

While CM is right that children belong with their parents, this girl does not want to go and she is 17.

In Missouri, if a child is 17 and wants to leave his or her parents home, there is nothing the parent can do about it. And that is true for just having the desire to leave; this has threat of death in the girl's own words.

Someone tell me that there is a single prosecutor willing to go after Islam as a religion, a single judge willing to see the matter his way and a single politician who'd publicly support them. If there are any, put them on the ballot and a hundred million Christians will get them to victory; tell me there aren't any, and I'll say that this country is already gone.

7. Michele says:

C. M. Hatem,

How would you feel if she was returned home and then murdered? I think that Rifqa knows her family better than you do. Her friend that was interviewed outside the courtroom said she was shaking all over. I don't think you get that reaction over nothing.

Have you ever lived in a home where your father beat your mother? On the outside your family looks normal, but behind closed doors it's a different story. Well I have.

8. C.M. Hatem says:

Gail B. Elian's mother wasn't the custodial parent. she kidnapped the boy. parents kidnap their children all the time.

Michele, I'm sorry you lived underr those conditions however, I've seen several cases where a child has lied or been coerced by an outsider.

I know nothing more about this Pastor than I do about her parents except that he harbored an underage girl in his home while she was listed as a missing person.

Maybe you think it's a good idea to have complete strangers looking after your children. I have a different point of view.

C.M. Hatem–I wasn't aware that she was not the custodial parent, or forgot it if I did know it at the time.

Sorry about that. And, thanks.

10. Silence says:

Those who believe Rifqa should be forced to go back to her parents, to a community connected to a local mosque that hosted/employed radical Muslim clerics, and is using CAIR, an organization constantly under investigation for terror ties needs to do some serious waking up. The girl is 17, and she was 17 when she ran away. If things in her home were not as bad as she said, why then did she not just stick it out until her 18th birthday and leave forever without any legal problem? It's because what she said is true. Any Christian can see her faith is sincere and even very mature for her age. Those of us who have learned about Islam in detail understand and recognize the very real threat she faces if ignorant appeasers send her back to her family. Wake up and ditch the PC insanity.

Radical Christianity is as bad or worse than Radical Islam. She was kidnapped and is now returned to her home state.