Olbermann, Beck, and the Politics of Personal Destruction

Undoubtedly frustrated in the wake of Van Jones’ resignation, it appears as though MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann has just this morning put out a desperate plea at The Daily Kos:

I don’t know why I’ve got this phrasing in my head, but: Find everything you can about Glenn Beck, Stu Burguiere, and Roger Ailes.

No, even now, I refuse to go all caps.

No, sending me links to the last two Countdowns with my own de-constructions of his biblical vision quality Communist/Fascist/Socialist/Zimbalist art at Rockefeller Center (where, curiously, he works, Comrade) doesn’t count. Nor does sending me links to specious inappropriate point-underscoring prove-you’re-innocent made-up rumors.

It’s the same old politics of personal destruction and the left, led by its Windbag in Chief, is looking to attack anyone pointing out the failures of Barack Obama’s administration in the same way they attacked Sarah Palin.

Honestly, all this does is underscore the left’s inherent cowardice, not to mention the sort of media bias that would have Edward R. Murrow rolling in his grave. Olbermann and the half-dozen friends and family who watch his inane ramblings and faux outrage each night simply cannot present an argument based upon fact supporting what this administration is doing to our economy and national security. That’s what happens, I guess, when a brainless sportscaster reads Marx and gets inspired.

And, mark my words, it will backfire. This nation always has been, and is still, a center-right nation. Ordinary people in the flyover states, the very kind of people that Olbermann scoffs at from behind his pretentious eyewear, don’t like seeing people on the right or the left being destroyed personally, not in the way the left went after Palin and Joe Wurzelbacher, or how they obviously plan to go after Glenn Beck. This, like the efforts undertaken by Congress to exponentially expand the size, scope and reach of the federal government through measures like health care reform and cap-and-trade, will only drive the American people further and further away from the very message that biased broadcasters like Olbermann are trying to disseminate and perpetuate.

Congratulations, Democratic Party. By putting your faith in politicians like Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid, and in personalities like Keith Olbermann, you will have effectively destroyed yourselves.

Comments

1. Robert Wallace says:

I'll be praying for Glenn Beck and his staff. Look at the hell they managed to put Sarah Palin through.

Glenn Beck attacked Van Jones' stance on THE ISSUES. He didn't use unsourced, anonymous tips or rumors and theories, he used Van Jones' OWN WORDS.

If Olbermann can't take the same high road when it comes to Glenn, he's going to find that Americans aren't so idiotic that they can't tell the difference between reporting and muckraking.

2. Michele says:

I agree Robert. I didn't think about the people turning on Olbermann. That made me smile. Maybe he will loose his job, or maybe he will get threats like Beck has on his family. Oh wait, that's only the left loons that make threats against people and their families that oppose them.

Well we will just have to fight w/ the, "facts just the facts ma'am". That's a quote from an old show but I can't remember the name of it.

He should go back to sports where he belongs.

4. CLICK, BOOM says:

The Dems are playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded automatic…. this is so fun to watch.

Here's some dirt on Olbermann…… his ratings are in the toilet.

How nasty of him!

7. Larry Walker Jr says:

Olbermann is a year late and a $1 Trillion short. I didn't know he still existed until you mentioned him.

8. Robert Wallace says:

Gail – You said it. The point about the politics of "person destruction" is that they are personal. Look at attacks on Palin. That's personal.

But Beck?

He aired video of Van Jones in his own words.

That's not personal destruction.

That's the truth.

9. Proof says:

"He should go back to sports where he belongs."
    D'Oh-olbermann sucked at sports, too!

10. libhom says:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there decided to do join in this little game on behalf of Beck. Beck openly admits he's a recovering alcoholic so I doubt he has much to hide. As hateful as Olbermann can be, he probably has a lot to hide.

libhom said…

"How can the right complain about the "politics of personal destruction" after what the right just did to Van Jones?"

And just WHAT did the right do to Van Jones? Nothing. Van Jones did it all, and he did it to himself.

One truthful, courageous TV talk show host simply told America about it.

13. goddessdivine says:

If MSNBC wants to pull its own plug, then let them. Not even Obamacare could resuscitate that network; it's ready to flatline.

Can't you guys ever right an editorial without resorting to meaningless labels, e.g. liberal, left, right, etc.

15. C.M. Hatem says:

Mr. olberman, I have reliable information that proves Elmo worked behind the scenes to destroy the careers of Cookie Monster and Grover.

It goes much deeper though. I believe Elmo is merely a puppet and being directed by the hand of someone else. please research this.

Gail B said…

libhom said…

One truthful, courageous TV talk show host simply told America about it.
    ___________

One local talk show host here put it this way: Van Jones wasn't taken down by some vast Right-Wing Conspiracy — Van Jones' chickens came home to roost!

As far as Olbermann goes, I suspect that if enough people wrote to MSNBC's president, they might take notice. Clearly what he did here was way out of line, and even the MSNBC heads might be able to see that.

Btw, why the hell is Microsoft still allowing its name to be associated with this network??? Maybe we need to be writing to them?

Anonymous said…

"Can't you guys ever right (sic) an editorial without resorting to meaningless labels, e.g. liberal, left, right, etc."

Let me ask you about constituents who gather at town hall meetings: Can't we do that without (1) PAID "protesters" showing up, and (2) without being called "Astroturf," "teabaggers," and "mobs?"

Can't we speak up for what we want our representatives in D.C. to do without being called "right-wing terrorists" and "racists?"

Get real, Anonymous. Get a life.

"The biggest problems that we're facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all. And that's what I intend to reverse when I'm president of the United States." ~ Sen. Barack Obama, March 31, 2008

What a liar! Why can't we have HONEST people in power? Why do they have to lie to us? They lie because they know that we will reject the truth if it comes out.

19. Boston Blackie says:

Thank you, Jeff, for bringing this to our attention. I would tell him to go back to sports but he sucked doing that too. He lasted only months here in Boston years ago. Thank you also to Gail for reminding me of B. Hussein Obamama's comments back in 2008 that the koolaid drinkers believed. True limo liberals – do as I say not as I do.

To contact the producers, anchors, and correspondents of Countdown by Keith Olbermann, email with this: countdown@msnbc.com.

A letter may be mailed to

NBC News
    30 Rockefeller Plaza
    New York, NY 10112

All legal notices should be sent by mail to the editor-in-chief:

MSNBC on the Internet
    One Microsoft Way
    Redmond, WA 98052

21. CIA says:

Careful Olbermann or we will unleash 20,000 birth certificate sleuths.

22. OLBERMANN'S RATINGS says:
  23. TOO MANY BETTER CHANNELS says:

I have never EVEN ONCE watched MSNBC, let alone Ubermanly….. how do these wacks stay in business?

I have a confession to make. You may have noticed that I hate the guts of everyone that the Usurper brought with him from the hellhole called Chicago, and I wish them all to die very painful deaths, a non-Christian soulless bastard as I am. However, I do enjoy watching them fight and I salute their efficiency. I appreciate a chess master even if he plays against my own team.

Yes, they ignored the ratings – most likely because they know them to be irrelevant. They sacrificed a worthless (harmful, actually) pawn of Van Jones to feed the black and liberal anger. They succeeded, however, to neutralize or remove every single piece that threatened their king. The Birth Certificate controversy is the laughing stock that gets nowhere through the court system, and none of the FoxNews showmen dares to utter a peep on the issue. All Republican leaders and potential 2012 candidates are MIA (Romney, Huckabee, Jindal), ridiculed into self-destruction (Palin, Sanford) or withdrew (Jeb Bush). No one even disputes that there will be no another Reagan Revolution because the Democrats will keep both Houses in 2010. But the greatest liberal achievement, as I see it, is that the conservatives, grassroots and Tea Parties and all, did not dare tapping into white anger. Our political leaders expect sacrifice and patriotism from us but they want their hands clean and their pockets full. That's not how victories are made, folks. Either we learn from Alinsky or his cause wins, today or in eight or sixteen years. The demographic clock is ruthless and it works against us.

This whole Presidency boils down to TRUST….and the more the FRAUD conceals and the longer he conceals the less TRUST anyone is going to have in him or his minions….I for one haven't ever watched these LIBERAL IDIOTS….they are all losers in my book and it appears in many other books as well!!

Michele,

That's from Dragnet (back in the Stone Age), and is what Sgt. Joe Friday, played by Jack Webb, used to say.

Now, what's on TV today? Is there another channel besides Fox News? (Had a talk with my phone company last week. The lady asked me if I had cable or satellite. I told her I didn't need it–I watch Fox News on my computer. "Oh.")

we need people like glenn beck. olberman can learn much from him and its not too late unless his pride takes over.

msnbc (all players of the same political mind – hows that for individualism) must be in a fight. why? this is less to do with knocking the other guy out than it has to do with doing what is fair and right. if only olberman can pick up on that and be man enough to express it even if he had to walk away from that msnbc group.

i can just imagine their rumpeltinskin moment when they came to the realization that the little foxCableNews they are always picking a fight with single-handedly took Jones off the scoreboard. with nothing but THE TRUTH.

takes real character to stand up to that kind of competition and have the guts to congratulate the opponent? yeah, i guess so.

I hate to be repetitive, but Rix is right.