Just Hollywood Being Hollywood

Yesterday was my super-long day. Work all day, then school until after 10:00 p.m. Needless to say, I didn’t catch much on television. Unfortunately, that means that I missed the discussion on this video, and that I bring it to you a day late. Hey, there’s only so much I can do, people!

I’m just grateful to the folks at Newsbusters, who always seem to get my attention.

This video is creepy on so many levels, none so much as the line we hear near the end of the clip, the whole part about being “a servant to our president.” The celebrities chanting in unison was a lovely Orwellian touch too. It’s this kind of thing which puts into perspective the now-whitewashed directive provided by the White House to our nation’s teachers in advance of next week’s presidential address to schoolchildren.

Before it was scrubbed, the directive suggested that students write letters to themselves about how they can help the president, and that teachers hold them accountable for those goals, and help any students falling short. The whole “servant” idea just seems to come back and back and back.

Speaking of that, as I watched the video in bed a few moments ago while putting this post together before turning in for the night, my wife turns to me and says: “So, wait — in the same video where these Hollywood stars pledge to eliminate present-day slavery in Africa and everywhere else, they pledge to serve someone? That doesn’t make any sense.”

So true, so true. Then again, what part of this administration does, anyway?

Comments

El EM AY OH!

Slavery vs. Indentured servitude vs. SERVANT!!! (there's a difference, but liberals, even faced with hypocrisy have never understood it)

How come every one in the video appears to be an entertainer?

Pretentiousness defined – I made one mil. per episode Courtney Cox and you should serve more.
    Jealousy? you bet…. that kind of coin is unimaginable to me and nearly every one I know.

Courtney was hot,
    now she is not,
    thanks to brain rot.

3. Robb Cabansag says:

I pledge to uphold and defend the constitution of this great country…to extol the virtues of freedom, personal responsibility and limited government, and to TRULY help others, not by carrying them, but by teaching them.

I thoroughly enjoyed the video and so will my wife. It awakes in us that warm and fuzzy nostalgic memory of living in the USSR in the 70-ies and 80-ies. Speaking out without an order was a felony, the food was crappy and scarce and computers were a fairy tale but heck, we were young, healthy and happy. Who wouldn't trade anything for being twenty again?

5. the conservative resistance says:

I PLEDGE…..

to say to every leftist I encounter…

"not in my house."

Servant shmervant. Elected officials — including the President of the United States — are called "public servants". The public does not serve elected officials. Elected officials are elected to serve and represent the interests of the public.

This is so creepy.

One more inch leading towards taking a mile?!

Question, Obama/Soetoro: As you deem it necessary to apologize for everything in America's past, and considering that America is the largest contributor of worldwide relief, what makes you think we owe YOU any pledges for more "service?"

How about YOUR pledge, made on a stack of assorted books, such as a Bible, the Koran, your autobiography, and so on, that you will give Americans proof that you are not a foreign national and proof of your real identity?

How about YOUR pledge that you will rid the czars and put Congress back in control so that We the People will be represented?

How about YOUR pledge that you will do nothing more to destroy free enterprise in America?

How about YOUR pledge that you will remember that you are there to SERVE the PEOPLE, instead of the other way around?

If you want this economy to turn around abruptly, cut the federal government by the third you have enlarged it, cut it another third, undo the Stimulus that places Pelosi's rats and Florida's turtles on a higher priority than the American people, and forget about Universal Healthcare and Cap & Tax. Allow Americans to keep what they earn, and you will see the economy flourish.

How about YOUR pledge not to enslave the American People to Marxism?

How about YOUR pledge to America, when you took the oath of office?

How about YOUR Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which she stands~ one nation under God, with liberty and justice for all?

Courtney has been blessed with millions, I've been blessed with common sense. She loses.

10. T.I.M. says:

Apparently, Matt Damon was too busy studying — and regretting — the truth about Sarah Palin and the dinosaurs to participate in this parade of narcissism, led by a "man" who has more trouble avoiding a camera than L.A. Mayor Villaraigosa. The YouTube comments are nearly unanimous in their condemnation of this lunacy, which was, by the way, produced by that unbiased leader of viewers, Oprah Winfrey.

Obama works for us. He should be pledging to the citizens of the US, not the other way around.

Any graphic artists in here that can put Obamas pretty face on the face of a can of Pledge furniture spray?.

Once a Marine, always a Marine!

I made a pledge already, and most Marines will follow that pledge till the day we die.

The tide is turning now. It is now blatant that he wishes to become a dictator. Propaganda everywhere. Media control. What else is needed?

God, I hope my kids dont have to see and feel the horrors of this. I just fear it might be to late for us to win back our country with just words, ideas, and votes… I hope and pray I'm wrong.

foreign, and domestic, Marine…. take the point.

Just sent out from the principal to the staff at an elementary school on guidance for Obama's Sept 8th speech:
    —————————–
    Please read the following information from the District Office:

President Obama will deliver a nationally televised address for students on the importance of education this Tuesday, September 8, at 9 a.m. During the approximately 20-minute address, the President will challenge students to work hard, set educational goals, and take responsibility for their learning. He will also call for a shared responsibility and commitment on the part of students, parents and educators to ensure that every child in every school receives the best education possible.

We have not directed teachers to view this broadcast with their students. We understand that for most teachers, the broadcast may not be consistent with their curricular plan for Tuesday.

We also understand that some families do not wish to have their child watch the President’s speech at school. If a teacher plans to include the speech as part of a classroom lesson, the teacher needs to inform parents/guardians by the end of school this Friday, and give parents an opportunity to opt out by notifying the teacher prior to the broadcast on Tuesday morning. Students who have opted out will need to be assigned supervised alternate learning activities out of the classroom during the 20-minute speech and any immediate follow-up discussion.

Thank you for following the District's suggestions.
    ————————

I had heard originally that there was not to be any advanced notification to parents that this would be shown to the students. I feel that the above guidance is a compromise that I can accept. It doesn't make me any more accepting of Obama's targeting of students and the Department of Education's accompanying instructional guidance. But it's a compromise and that's what our nation should be about.

16. Claudia says:

what Gail SAID so very eloquently and honestly, I totally agree with ever word you wrote!!! Thank you Gail, and have a great Labor Day Weekend.

17. Dee says:

I saw this video the other day and was amazed. Apparently it was shown to a PTA group before reviewing it, and once they saw it they wished they hadn't shown it. I think they were considering showing it to the school. I have always wondered why Hollywood stars feel that they are more intelligent then we are and that their voices are so much more important, and that we should listen to what they say and follow their lead. The truly conservative and patriotic ones, such as Gary Sinese, quietly go about supporting our country and our troops.
    Gail, I agree with your pledge list and BO, Nancy, and Harry should read it. Not that it will make a difference.
    Thank you all.

18. Chuck in San Diego says:

Come on people, these people are entertainers. It's their JOB to entertain. They get PAID to entertain.

They're not moral compasses or intellectual magnets.

I found this video to be entertaining. Entertaining just like I found videos posted on the old ogrish.com website – sick and depraved….but fascinating at the same time……

When I watched this video I could hear and feel my ears pop due to the intellectual vacuum it caused surrounding my computer.

I pledge to throw up every time I watch this video.

Anonymous at 11:14 a.m.–

Which planet are you on?

Right now, a carryover from (what time did I go to bed, Jeff?) 3 a.m., I am working on convincing a man to run against one of my own Republican senators in 2010. You do realize that in 2010, all 485 United States Representatives will be up for reelection, don't you?

You do realize that there is a movement right now to remove those 485, just to break up Obama/Soetoro's meat-grinding political machine, don't you? The Members of Congress are *not representing* the People but are being quiet on Constitutional issues and being vague or even unresponsive to their thus far loyal constituents.

And, I'm in a conservative state!

Last night I heard from a state representative who is not my district rep–so he was not communicating to gain reelection! I was so shocked to hear from him out of the blue and without my ever emailing him, that I blinked and looked him up on the Internet!

verify: monsiout (monsiour is out of my district)

Chuck,

they are no more entertainers than Sponge Bob Square Pants is… should we listen to Mr. Pants as well? ha ha…. loved your post.

I pledge, that in my life, I will NEVER kiss the ring of Obama (or curtsy to him like Brian Williams).

23. Courtney (NOT COX) says:

The very beginning wasn't so bad and I was thinking, ok, maybe it's people overreacting…. Then I got the to second half of the video and OMG – what the HEdoublehockeysticks were they thinking? What flipping idiots and who do they think they are? My daughter's not in public school yet, but this is getting scary.

You know, everything they said with the exception of their idolatry to Barry Obama or Soetoro, was just rhetoric. They aren't going to do any of those things. We should work and make our way, but when we see others trying, honestly, an not quite making it, there's nothing wrong with lending a helping hand. It doesn't have to be money that we help one another with, but that, too, is ok if we have it to help. What Socialism is today is a twisted and perverted version of what it should be. Jesus was socialistic in that He loved people and helped them out. I don't think there's one example of where He "enabled" someone that did not have his head on straight.

I care about people, but very likely don't do what I should near enough. I will admit, I'm more selfish than I probably realize. I don't want to be.

I wish you all well.

25. goddessdivine says:

This video was shown at an elementary school in my state…..a conservative one at that. All hell broke lose and the principal (who hadn't previewed it) apologized. The PTA president who motioned to show this monstrosity still doesn't understand why parents are upset.

The junior high where I teach sent home a letter today informing parents that if teachers choose to show the Obama speech (read: indoctrination), their child can opt to leave the classroom. Apparently the phones have been ringing off the hook. Teachers I work with don't understand the outrage and claim these parents are 'overreacting'.

As a teacher, I am often ashamed of many in my profession. They are so out of touch with reality.

This is a LOT of pledging to someone who won't even say the Pledge of Allegiance to The Flag.

Some of these actresses would look kinda hot licking his boots.