Hide the Children

By Randy Wills
America’s Right

A few weeks ago I urged parents to get their kids out of the public schools if they wanted to protect them from the influences that are central to the promotion of a Progressive worldview. A good start would be to at least pull them from the classroom next Tuesday, September 8.

Why? Well, you might want to read the following document sent to the public school teachers in advance of the September 8th speech by President Obama to all of America’s schoolchildren:

Address to Students Across America
Produced by Teaching Ambassador Fellows, U.S. Department of Education
September 8, 2009

BEFORE THE SPEECH:

Teachers can build background knowledge about the President of the United States and his speech by reading books about presidents and Barack Obama and motivate students by asking the following questions:

• Who is the President of the United States?
  • What do you think it takes to be President?
  • To whom do you think the President is going to be speaking?
  • Why do you think he wants to speak to you?
  • What do you think he will say to you?

Teachers can ask students to imagine being the President delivering a speech to all of the students in the United States. What would you tell students? What can students do to help in our schools? Teachers can chart ideas about what they would say.

Why is it important that we listen to the President and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important?

DURING THE SPEECH:

As the President speaks, teachers can ask students to write down key ideas or phrases that are important or personally meaningful. Students could use a note-taking graphic organizer such as a Cluster Web, or students could record their thoughts on sticky notes. Younger children can draw pictures and write as appropriate. As students listen to the speech, they could think about the following:

• What is the President trying to tell me?
  • What is the President asking me to do?
  • What new ideas and actions is the President challenging me to think about?

Students can record important parts of the speech where the President is asking them to do something. Students might think about: What specific job is he asking me to do? Is he asking anything of anyone else? Teachers? Principals? Parents? The American people?

Students can record any questions they have while he is speaking and then discuss them after the speech. Younger children may need to dictate their questions.

AFTER THE SPEECH:

Teachers could ask students to share the ideas they recorded, exchange sticky notes or stick notes on a butcher paper poster in the classroom to discuss main ideas from the speech, i.e. citizenship, personal responsibility, civic duty.

Students could discuss their responses to the following questions:

• What do you think the President wants us to do?
  • Does the speech make you want to do anything?
  • Are we able to do what President Obama is asking of us?
  • What would you like to tell the President?

Teachers could encourage students to participate in the Department of Education’s “I Am What I learn” video contest. On September 8th the Department will invite K-12 students to submit a video no longer than 2 min, explaining why education is important and how their education will help them achieve their dreams. Teachers are welcome to incorporate the same or a similar video project into an assignment. More details will be released via www.ed.gov.

EXTENSION OF THE SPEECH:

Teachers can extend learning by having students:

• Create posters of their goals. Posters could be formatted in quadrants or puzzle pieces or trails marked with the labels: personal, academic, community, country. Each area could be labeled with three steps for achieving goals in those areas. It might make sense to focus on personal and academic so community and country goals come more readily.
  • Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president. These would be collected and redistributed at an appropriate later date by the teacher to make students accountable to their goals.
  • Write goals on colored index cards or precut designs to post around the classroom.
  • Interview and share about their goals with one another to create a supportive community.
  • Participate in School wide incentive programs or contests for students who achieve their goals.
  • Write about their goals in a variety of genres, i.e. poems, songs, personal essays.
  • Create artistic projects based on the themes of their goals.
  • Graph student progress toward goals.

Asking students to “write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president?” To help the president?!? Nowhere on this worksheet do you see anything about what the students can do for the country. Nothing about how they can make America better. No. Instead, it’s all about Barack Obama, about civic duty, about social responsibility. It’s about advancing his agenda.

My goodness. Whatever happened to “[a]sk not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country?”

And you wonder why I say “Hide the Children”? My advice is, if you care about maintaining control of your parental prerogatives, keep them home on September 8th and use the time to teach a refresher course on the Constitution.

[NOTE: Because of formatting restrictions, I had to change up some of the bulleting in the document. None--I repeat, none--of the substantive material was changed. -- Jeff]

—————
Randy Wills lives in the Northwest with his wife of over 52 years and divides his time between his role as Operations Manager of a software development business founded with his son in 2002 and maintaining close contact with his extended family. Both he and his wife are avid readers and spend as much time as they can together reading and engaging in deep discussion of history, religion, and politics. For recreation, Randy and his wife like to “get away” in their RV.

Comments

1. K-5 CZARS says:

How sad; now the Messiah is trying to pick the brains of little children for ideas on how to run his administration.

2. D.A.Gust says:

* Does this not reek of the mind-bending tactics used by the Third Reich in the 1930’s? *

I suppose this is a rhetorical question. I've been saying that line for 6 months. This is just one of the many "items" that seems to have been picked right out of a history lesson. The whole bunch seem more like the National Socialists, than they do Americans from a democratic republic.

The phrase Gott Mit Uns on belt buckles is next…

My wife and I are presently debating this for our 2nd grader. Keeping him home, or having the school keep him out of the lecture, is shutting out dissent. That's what liberals do. "Shut UP!".

I think it's better to send him to school, but talk to him about it before and after. We're still thinking it over, but so far I don't think I'm on board with keeping 'em home.

Yes, Randy, I saw that, too. It is going viral on the Internet as I type.

Somewhere I heard that a teacher told her students that they were to read Obama(/Soetoro)'s books over the summer, but a wise parent told her child that he didn't have to.

I guess you've heard about the mess with the Alliance for the Arts that Glenn Beck exposed. From the website for Alliance for the Arts is this statement:

"The arts are a complex industry in which the commercial and nonprofit sectors enjoy a close relationship with talent, product and capital flowing from one to the other." The product referred to is the propaganda supporting Obama–such as the Hope poster.

It's all about campaigning. That's all Obama/Soetoro really understands and knows. He's taking his orders from his financial backers, and I'm thinking our Congressmen have been paid off or threatened, or both.

I am just so sick of all this Marxism! Meanwhile the fight for our freedoms continues as we try to protect our children in government schools.

I found it quite interesting that HOME-SCHOOLED children score higher on SATs and college entrance exams.

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    ~ John Adams

I shudder to think of my seven years old daughter being asked what she would like to tell the President. She's surprisingly versed in politics and greatly expanded her vocabulary watching me assemble IKEA furniture. :)

6. LEAVE THE KIDS ALONE says:

Is he going to preempt Sponge Bob Square Pants?
    Oh are they gonna be pi**sed.

Just received another email about this from a member of my political action group. She said she had called the principal about this and that he was unaware of any such plan. She told him that NO POLITICIAN was to talk to her child without her presence.

I'd put that in writing, if I still had a child in school.

8. Lilly says:

I just emailed the principle at our school asking if this was going to be aired there. If they come back with a yes, I think we'll be sick that day. I'm hoping it will be a no response, as it is a small town school. This is just so wrong. I have no problem with a short video to the kids to be played at the teachers discretion that basically says; study hard, education's important, dream big, etc. But how can I help a president,blah blah blah is way WRONG!!

word verification: bratig Just thought that was funny brats = kids

Note the suggested questions BEFORE the presentation begins are designed to define Obama as a powerful authority figure and solidify reasons why students should listen to him. This is exactly the mindset the ruling class wants subjects to have in order to exert authority over them. Mao & Hitler love this kind of stuff!

Randy,
    I share your concern and your point that it is all Obama and not our country is correct. I wish someone would ask him how important he feels character, honesty and patriotism are and if he feels he exhibits these traits as President. God protect our young children from the mind control of the liberal dimwits.

11. goddessdivine says:

As a secondary educator I find this appalling. Luckily it looks like it's only in grades k-6….perhaps when their minds are the most impressionable. Lovely.

Is this something that will be broadcast via television?

12. GOOD RIDDANCE, GET GLASSES THAT STAY UP says:

NEW YORK – ABC News says Charles Gibson is retiring and Diane Sawyer will replace him as the anchor of "World News."

Neal Boortz was just talking about this on WSB Talk Radio, in support of it. He completely missed the point of our objections.

It all sounds positive for a better education, encouraging personal responsibility, and (as he said) to stop the black kids from not acting white.

He missed this little "insignificant" part:

"* Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help *the president*. These would be collected and redistributed at an appropriate later date by the teacher to make students accountable to their goals." (Emphasis mine)

As Randy pointed out, what happened to "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

I may have to change stations in the a.m. and again at night when Boortz is replayed.

Uh, Rix, as outspoken as you are, I'd be afraid to watch you assemble IKEA furniture!

I am confident that your 7-year-old daughter is as proficient in profanity in three languages by now as a Sailor is in his own language.

(Just messing with you.)

15. MR OBAMA WHERE WERE YOU BORN? says:

What does he have in common with all those little ones???? THEY have birth certificates.

WND's story on this, with video of Obama being interviewed by a young student:

17. THAT'S HOTTTTT says:

Hmmmm, Diane Sawyer, I just might start WATCHING the news on ABC, WITH THE SOUND OFF however!

18. sharon says:

This would definitely be the time to consider home schooling.

Anonymous, I would not keep my children home that day. I would discuss it with them first and reiterate your own beliefs. If you keep them home you will not have a good grasp on what was said, or what they do in the future curriculum regarding this subject. Having all of the information is best. Better yet, visit the classroom that day and observe.

19. Lilly says:

Just heard back from our principle. Due to it being during our lunch times we will not be widely airing this in our school. I asked for clarification of that statement. Also stating that if they are playing it, then I want to be there during the airing and the before and after discussions. I won't censor, but I will correct!

20. Protect our children... says:

I have already called my superintendent's office, as well as the communications office, and told them that my child will not be participating.
    I do not think that a president of any party should be allowed to do this. President Bush has education ideologies that I do not agree with, and certainly Obama has plenty of his own I do not agree with. I do not want politcians pushing their agendas on my child nor anyone else's. As Randy pointed out, this isn't about the country, it's about him, and it's creepy.
    On a talk radio show this morning, parents were calling in to say they had also called their districts to tell them their children weren't going to participate. One lady had the office person ask her, "Well, don't you think that it's a good thing to talk to children about education"? She responded, "That's my job. That's the teacher's job. That's not the place of the president"! Good for her!!!

21. Protect our children... says:

Anon @ 11:46 am…
    Exactly! Instead of asking the children what they can do for their country, he asks what they can do to help him. In other words, it puts into the minds of impressionable children to have an allegiance to a particular leader…HIM…instead of the country! Again, very creepy…

Anon – 11:23 AM:

I agree with Sharon – visit the classroom and observe. That way you'll know exactly what to talk to him about. When my kids were in school, I used to pop in from time to time. Oh yea, the kids moaned a little about it, but now that they're grown, they admit it was a good thing and they intend to do the same with their kids. Besides, you have a right to see how your tax dollars are being abused.

23. Randy Wills says:

To those who think that it is wise to send their children to school that day, I would just like to point out that it is not only what the President has to say that concerns me, it is how the left-leaning, union-conforming, teachers will use this opportunity to drive home their worldview.

Also, you might want to consider the emotional risk that you expose your child to. Any response (as requested by the teacher) that your child might make contrary to the party line may well be met with ridicule and chastisement, not only by the teacher but also the dissenting child's peers. This is emotional blackmail in the world of a "K-6" student. Peer pressure is everything at that age and it wouldn't be the first time that a student who disagrees with Obama's policies would be called a racist in front of their classmates.

Give it some thought, O.K?

24. YOU KIDS LIKE G.I. JOE? says:

K-5 civilian Army recruiting.

Parents should try to file a motion to stop the broadcast of this insidious political propaganda before Tuesday.

I was appalled during the election campaign that my daughter’s middle school was plastered with ONLY Obama posters – clearly indicating the administrations favoritism for one candidate. If they were trying to teach the children about the political process, all the candidates should have been equally represented (and that was not the case).
    I thought about filing an action at that point and could kick myself that I didn’t. Now with this address looming, I think the time for legal action has come.

We have a situation where at political figure (Obama) has taken on religious significance for many individuals in this country. (Merriam Webster defines religion as : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith – The actions of the District of continuing to promote Obama to this extent clearly qualifies under this definition.)

This “religion” is now being brought in to the classroom against the will of the parents and children. The materials the administration has prepared for teachers to direct children before and after the address is not neutral – it is full of self promoting questions about Obama and why good children should listen to him.

The Supreme Court has upheld that parents can sue school districts without lawyers, so get the ball rolling in your local district!

26. cherpa says:

Parents need to call their school administrators and tell them.President Obama has asked us to respect his family and leave his children alone.Tell them you will abide by his request as long as he LEAVES OUR CHILDREN ALONE.

27. Julie says:

When I raised my concerns about this to my school board, they responded by sending me this letter going out to all principals:

————-

Some of you may have received an e-mail from Arne Duncan, U.S. Secretary of Education, outlining details for a live web address by President Obama scheduled for Sept. 8. This information is also attached for your reference as not all schools received the e-mail. We have contacted Secretary Duncan’s office, and we were told that the speech is approximately 20 minutes in length. Secretary Duncan’s office was not able to provide the written text of the message.

We recognize that this live broadcast is on the first day of school, and that the broadcast time does not work well with opening-day activities. The web-cast will be archived (www.whitehouse.gov/video) so that students may view the President’s message along with their families at home if they choose to do so.

Following standard procedures for resources utilized in the classroom, and after the message has been broadcast, additional guidance will be provided to schools.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me at 898-0409.

———-

I responded by saying that I expect to be contacted in advance if and when any additional guidance is provided to schools so that I can make a decision about my childrens' participation in any activities related to this address.

28. Moonbeam says:

I have 4 grandchildren. I spoke with their parents about this. They will now be homeschooled and will not attend the Sept 8 promotion of the Master.

Obama refuses to be an American. He desires nothing less then to be King of the World.

Things are going to get uglier. We must all be prepared. Glenn Beck has been the only person to put his neck on the line..btw.. Where the hell is BILL O'Reilly???? Anyone know?

29. momathome says:

Homeschool, homeschool, homeschool!

It is not nearly as difficult as many people think it will be – there are great co-ops, tons of resources, support groups, etc. You will get to know how your kids think and learn and the family memories that you build will never be forgotten!

My oldest just graduated. He is on a full scholarship at a leading university – one of six where he was admitted. He is outgoing, curious, committed…and polite! Both of my children were taught early on to examine all sides of an issue. I am not afraid of facts, especially since I know that the liberals will always lose in a true debate. History is simply not on their side, which is why Obama wants to indoctrinate your kids at an early age.

Fight back! You can live without alot of the material things which a second income provides but you can never regain what you will lose by letting the government schools raise your children for you!

God bless our military, our police and our firefighters…and God bless those teachers who are trying to fight the tide – I know they are out there, too!

Must-read Underground History of American Education by three-time NYC teacher of the year, John Taylor Gatto. Read it
    here

Also read:
    The Yellow Prison Bus and the Future of American Healthcare

Received in my inbox today.

The study included almost 12,000 homeschool students from all 50 states who took three well-known standardized achievements tests—the California Achievement Test, the Iowa Test of Basic Skills and the Stanford Achievement Test—for the 2007–08 academic year. The students were drawn from 15 independent testing services, making it the most comprehensive homeschool academic study to date.

Read about the superb outcomes
    here.

And there are no gym fees, locker fees, lock rental, PTA meetings, contributions, or after-school detention. The child won't have to ride the school bus or walk in the rain or snow.

AND, home-schooled students make higher scores on SATs and college entrance exams than students from government schools.

obama going fast-pacing all these projects because he fears he will be found out to be notworthy of the office so he's pushing american into poverty in accordince with his view of what america owes and at the same time stuffing the pockets of his interest groups and personal friends while stacking money into little pockets across the globe for future favors?

his rapid fire on all these policies and implementing this and that is a way to discourage any real scrutiny of any of his actions.

obama really believes in the snarl(SIGN NOW READ LATER). as much as he can slip on by you without giving you the time to absort it the more he gets through.

he will not stop until he IS stopped as we did witht he townHalls – this is why healthcare is in trouble. had we stoodby he would have gotten away with it the same way he would have gotten away with making VETS pay their own insurance bills after losing limbs in war, BUT BECAUSE THE VETS, THE REPUBLICANS IN GENERAL said and said loudly, "hey, wait a minute…." – - obama backed off.

the ones we do notihng about are the ones he will get away with. we must remain diligent and pay attention and act. these are critical times in this country. if we do nothing there will be a major shift in this country… downhill.

"obama going fast-pacing all these projects"

Trait of cocaine use in many people.