Report: White House Abandons Public Option

Assigned Reading: Under Fire, Obama Shifts Strategy
(FROM: Politico)

So, what does this mean? Well, before anything else, it should be noted that if there is a shift here, it is from Obama only. As I pointed out on August 16 by using their very own words to dismiss the notion that the “public option” is somehow not an essential element of their plan, Obama’s Democratic Party colleagues will not be as quick to euthanize the public option they want so badly.

From this point on, though, everything I see from David Axelrod and the head flunkies in the West Wing makes me think that dropping the “public option” could be more of an exercise in semantics than anything else. When Axelrod says things like “[w]e’re entering a new season” and “[i]t’s time to synthesize and harmonize these strands and get this done,” it makes me believe that he is preparing to go to the mattresses and wage war with a focus on spin.

Obama’s White House will need to convince an increasingly untrusting American people that health care co-ops, despite being federally funded, staffed and organized, will be somehow different than the so-called “public option.” Similarly, they’ll need to convince us that the economy is stable enough to sustain the blow that the Democrats’ health care reform package will bring.

It’s going to be smoke and mirrors, folks. That’s what this little tid-bit from the White House means. In Axelrod’s own words: “We’re going to approach it in a different way.”

Should we be happy that our involvement changed the nature of the debate? Absolutely! Should we become complacent? Absolutely not.

Comments

jeff: don't you ever sleep?!?

Anonymous at 12:32 a.m.–

Jeff sleeps between 3 & 4 a.m. until about 6 or 7, if he's lucky, I'm guessing.
    ——————
    Just WHERE would we get the money for so much as an aspirin for everyone in the United States? How the heck can we afford healthcare? We're already out of money and over our skyscrapers in debt!

Somebody either give those bastards a sleeping pill or get that imposter out of the White House!

Who would have thought a retiree would need to fight our government to keep the inalienable rights our Creator gave us? A Progressive Democrat–go figure!

"White House Abandons Public Option"
    "Under Fire, Obama Shifts Strategy"

How about:
    "White House Kicks Out Faux POTUS"
    "Biden Shifts to Resolute Desk" ??

Seriously, I hope that *if* the healthcare pelosi comes up for a vote, everyone will be so afraid of losing seats that it will be soundly defeated, right along Cap & Tax.

THAT would cause some to sit up and pay attention (or cause Obama/Soetoro to pull the plug on the Internet).

4. Sundae5 says:

Ditto, Jeff no sleep?

I wonder if really this is not a ploy of "throwing a bone" to appease those who are less than satisfied with Obamacare. If they can present the image of compromise then they can create a portrait of willingness to reach across the aisle and at the same time get their way with spin. We cannot forget with whom we are dealing here. Do we really think this particular president with arrogance to spare would really give up something he holds so dear? He is so savvy about "re-presenting" things in another more palatable way so that the public will find a reason to swallow his desires that I cannot imagine he would let go of one of his most anticipated battle points.

5. TJ says:

This must be why Mr. O couldn't be bothered to be present at the WWII commemoration ceremony in Poland. Of course, it doesn't explain why the VP or Hillary weren't available.

6. Courtney says:

I don't know if anyone has seen this youtube video. This happened in Reston, VA. This cop wouldn't allow a sign w/ a pic of BO and actually said "It ain't [America] no more, ok?"

7. PLEDGE says:

To Congress,

I ask that you make these 5 Pledges:

1. I believe in a balanced budget and therefore will vote for a freeze in government spending until that goal is realized.

2. I believe government should no increase the financial burden on it citizenry during difficult economic times therefore I will oppose all tax increases until our economy has rebounded.

3. I believe more than four decades of U.S. dependence on foreign oil is a travesty therefore I will support and energy plan that calls for immediately increasing usage of all domestic resources including nuclear energy, natural gas, and coal as necessary.

4. I believe in the sovereignty and security of out country and therefore will support measures to close our borders except for designated immigration points so we will know who is entering and why and I will vehemently oppose
    any measure giving another country, the United Nations, or any other entity, power over U.S. citizens.

5. I believe the United States of America is the greatest country on earth and therefore will not apologize for policies or actions, which have served to free more and feed more people around the world than any other nation on the planet.

I anticipate your reply if you support these pledges, or not. If not, why not.

Sincerely,

8. SAYONARA AMERICA says:

The Japanese have a political system that many Americans would no doubt find attractive. Although their parties prepare all year around, they only have a two week formal campaign.

-Newt Gingrich

9. WAITING PATIENTLY says:

Told ya. The cap-and-trade nightmare may yet be defated but the healthcare "reform" with a public option will be in even if Rahmbo will have to personally break a few arms. Come to think of it, how would YOU vote if your were guaranteed that 1) you'll get $10 mil of free campaign money and a few busloads of "volunteers" if you vote aye, 2) your child will meet an "unfortunate accident" if you vote nay, go to police or make the conversation above public?

WAITING PATIENTLY said…
    "I have yet to hear back from Congressman Tanner on his position on HR 1503….. imagine that….. I'm just a birther with no intelligence."

Don't have that "unloved, left out" feeling! My two Senators are Chambliss and Isakson. Neither one bother to reply to my concerns, questions, or acknowledge requests, even when a reply is specifically requested.

It is a crying shame when there has to be a federal law to FORCE a political party's national committee to be able to prove its candidates' eligibility. It seems more of a shame and disgrace when the same national committee will not speak up for its party members when there is no doubt that their elected official is invalid. It just seems to me that SOMEBODY would value integrity over power. Hmmm–there's the problem right there! Integrity doesn't hold up anymore, has no value.