Obama Handout to the Unions

Assigned Reading: Barack Obama Sneaks Through ‘Union Only’ Order
(FROM: RedState.com)

RedState is covering a little-noticed “thank-you” to the unions from the president:

There has not been a lot of coverage of this. It happened back in July and is only now winding its way through the federal system.

Barack Obama and his administration are about to significantly drive up the costs of federal building construction. This is an astonishing reach. The Office of Management and Budget has directed that any federal construction over $25 million benefit unions.

The order would make all federal construction projects 10-20% more expensive by requiring all contractors to either use union workers or apply inefficient union apprenticeship and work rules to their employees. Contractors would also be required to make contributions to union pension funds and other union programs that non-union workers will never benefit from.

Egregious doesn’t even begin to cover the extent to which this blatant kickback violates all norms of common sense and decency. As I mentioned earlier, if there’s one thing Obama learned from the Daley Machine in Chicago it’s how to use power to stay in power. The unions give Obama foot soldiers and cash, and then Obama turns around and shovels taxpayer dollars right back at them.

Of course it’s even worse than that because unemployment is high and the construction sector is one of the hardest hit areas of our economy. But since nearly 85 percent of privately-owned construction companies are non-unionized, Obama is slamming the door shut on stimulus money that was supposed to create jobs.

So, in one stroke, Obama has managed to:

• hurt job growth
  • hurt small businesses
  • increase federal waste

And you thought the “stimulus” bill was a joke before even the remotely stimulating government expenditures got turned into nothing but union payoffs!

Thanks to Dr. William Harvey for the heads up on this one.

Comments

Bend over–this is gonna hurt!

Thank you, Dr. Harvey.

Uh, Jeff, where in the Constitution does it give the federal government authority to DO all this pelosi?

2. SQUEEZZEEEEE says:

Add the letter b to union, bunion….. they really rub me the wrong way. Hopefully they will be the militias first objectives.

It's hard to comment on this without crossing the line. Obama, aided by Pelosi, Reid, Frank, etc., is the most politically and racially divisive POTUS of my lifetime – perhaps ever.

As for Unions, they make me want to puke. As a very young man, I was a Union Member for five years and I can say from my own personal experience, they are nothing but organized street thugs, dipping into the paychecks of their members, intentionally negotiating contracts that retard productivity – causing the company to hire more Union members in order to maintain the same level of production. Unions milk all they can from their members and the companies, then scratch their heads and blame the companies for going bankrupt and/or moving overseas.

My last Union meeting was on the eve of my fifth anniversary. When I spoke out about the hypocrisy of their call to "tighten our belts" and "bring the company to their knees", I was physically removed from the Union Hall by four Union Thugs and told that I would never be welcomed back. I quit the next day and went looking for someone who would pay me for what I was worth with no "Union Price Tag" attached.

Surprise – if you're willing to work, if you have skills, if you have talent, or if you're willing to listen, learn and help a company succeed, you will be well compensated. Yep, it's called Capitalism and it rings so sweet in my ears. Get rid of the Unions, lower the Corporate Tax and bring some jobs back to the USA.

Ranting done – Back to the context of this article. When you have Obama as President and you allow him to force "Non-Union" companies to adhere to "Union Directives" and pay monies into "Union Coffers" – then who needs "CardCheck?"

4. Proof says:

Things like this are going to keep happening until 2010, and beyond if we don't get organized!

5. Courtney says:

When I lived in Indiana, I had a state job and during job orientation learned that I had to pay union dues as a state employee whether I joined or not. I didn't live there very long and only worked there a year, but during that year it wasn't an option for me not to pay union dues. It really ticked me off. I HATE unions. Oh – btw – the union halls in my home town did not fly the American Flag at half-mast for Ted Kennedy. Most other businesses did though. I thought that was interesting.

6. D.A.Gust says:

The chiping away at every little thing is the way of the progressive.

Adding the little one line phrases to bills has really produced for their adgenda.

The Obama admin is not working to recover the economy. Why should they, it would weaken thier thrust for the progressive ideals. I've been thinking about this for at least a month. I beleive Obama is truley trying to put as many people out of work as possible.

The whole 'health care' drive would be simplified for them if more workers are forced to take on personal monthly payments to continue thier once provided, or partially provided health insurance costs.

The lag in distibution of the $686B remaining in the stimey-us bill is a tool. The plan is for there to be a substancial dole-out of these funds next year prior to the 2010 elections. I beleive it is an attempt to flood the economy, and it will show a false, or short lived improvement, so you think thier plan is working, and in turn you vote for them again. (Simple..eh)

I wonder, is there someone in law inforcement who could charge this entire admin with the RICO law?

We should really stop using the word "union" and replace it with "gang" or "organized crime" because they are nothing but. The support they recieve from Washington doesn't make their "activities" any more legal (less, actually). An individual gangster might be a sympathetic chap and a good church-going family member but he is still a gangster. As things are now, they should be dealt with by police, not legislators.

8. MAKE RIX A CONTRIBUTOR says:

Rix = Brilliant (consistently)

9. Dee says:

I find this article very interesting. What gives the AFL-CIO the right to suggest what should be taxed? http://thehill.com/homenews/house/56789-afl-cio-dems-push-new-wall-street-tax

I am amazed as to what goes on daily in this administration and much of it is never questioned. If this goes through, I may pull out all of the stock I own ( all $59 worth) and hide it under the mattress. Of course, I read in another article that Massachusetts is proposing a bill that would give the local police the authority to come into private homes without a warrent if they suspect the residents are not being compliant with H1N1 quarantine laws.
    Thank you all for being here. I do not feel so alone.

Dee:

I have to admit that I find myself liking the proposal. No solution that strives to defeat HFT (high-frequency trading) cannot be truly and completely evil, even if it's union gangsters who lay it on the table. The effect for an average joe who keeps his assets in 401(k) will be truly minimal.

I have a problem, however, with the "spend" part of the proposal because "infrastructure" usually means "union jobs" in Dems' vocabulary. But if all gains from the said tax will be directed to repayment of national debt, I'd vote for it.