‘The Power and Danger of Iconography’

Brilliant. Great job from the folks at Pajamas Media.

Several times here at America’s Right I’ve commented on how the Republican Party, besides needing desperately to go back to conservative roots, needs to bridge a technological gap in order to keep up with the Democrats. To demonstrate that point, on one or two occasions I’ve told the story about how, on election day last year, I discovered and was fooling around with a revolutionary free iPhone application called “Obama ’08″ which essentially turned ordinary cellphones into campaign phone banks, only to have a robotic Rudy Giuliani call my house ten minutes before polls closed to tell me how important voting was in Pennsylvania (I had already voted, of course).

Slowly but surely, I think the GOP is closing the distance. As a guy who runs a conservative Web site of only moderate size and minimal influence, I can say firsthand that I’ve been blown away by new efforts at outreach from GOP congressmen and senators. Heck, Republicans are even “winning” against Democrats on Twitter.

While I am certainly not okay with the pervasive nature of Barack Obama’s “O” symbol, there is something to be admired in terms of its design for the way the cultish left has taken to it, just like there is much to be admired about Obama’s efficient campaign machine. Come this fall, campaign offices will once again smell of fresh-brewed coffee and a steady helping of bullcrap (always on tap), as the race for the 2010 mid-term elections will be officially under way. People like you and like me can do our part to hasten the GOP’s closure of the technological outreach gap — get in touch with your congressman or your favorite candidate and ask what you can do.

Comments

1. THAT ICON IS LAME says:

I agree that an icon can backfire on you as well, as you now see in thousands of ANTI-Obama bumper stickers, shirts and buttons.

2. elspeth says:

When I was young, my grandmother used a particular word a lot that would make me roll my eyes. The word: vulgar. She couldn't stand Cher because Cher's navel was on display.

Now I can appreciate the word "vulgar". The article to which you linked talks about Republicans who constantly masturbate. It's vulgar language, but then again, my son, who was six at the time, came home from school one day while Clinton was in office and asked me what a blow job was. Thanks, Bill!

The author of the article linked from your post is obviously on the left side of the aisle. I honestly do not see the right side using vulgar language.

My grandmother would be proud of me!

3. OH CRAP........ says:

MOSCOW (AFP) – Top Russian officials admitted Wednesday that a cargo ship hijacked under murky circumstances in the Baltic Sea may have been carrying a suspicious cargo, after initially playing down such reports.

Speculation has been raging that the Arctic Sea — a ship that was seized by pirates near Sweden last month and vanished for weeks before being recaptured by the Russian navy — may have held weapons or even nuclear materials.
    The Maltese-flagged ship with a crew of 15 Russian sailors was officially heading to Algeria with a cargo of timber.

But Moscow's top investigator, Alexander Bastrykin, cast doubt on that in a newspaper interview.
    "We do not rule out the possibility that the Arctic Sea transported something other than wood," Bastrykin told the official government daily Rossiyskaya Gazeta.

4. HMMMM? says:

Do the three red stripes in that logo represent his THREE CITIZENSHIPS????

5. MUJERLATINA says:

Some have also noted the similarity of Obama's logo with Saul Alinsky's in his book Rules for Radicals. Worth checking that out folks. It looks as if BHO lifted his logo right from Alinsky…

From Drudge – WANTED: NEA SEEKS ARTISTS TO PUSH OBAMA AGENDA…

The National Endowment for the Art of Persuasion?

"Backed by the full weight of President Barack Obama’s call to service and the institutional weight of the NEA, the conference call was billed as an opportunity for those in the art community to inspire service in four key categories, and at the top of the list were “health care” and “energy and environment.” The service was to be attached to the President’s United We Serve campaign, a nationwide federal initiative to make service a way of life for all Americans."

7. sneese says:

7:49 in the clip-the LOL is the best. Thanks pj media!

The most powerful electoral force on Earth is not Internet, not money and not even love of God. It is humor. The Democrats shone because they could laugh their heads off at McCain and at his age at particular, while any jokes about the Anointed One were booed down as racism.

Well, no more, I say! Telling jokes with words "Obama" and "monkey" in it is legal and *not* automatically a bad taste (of course, they still have to be funny). The only reason the well-worn racial card is still being used because WE AGREE TO IT!

Remember the third Harry Potter book? You can only defeat a scary boggart by laughing at it.

9. NO BC NO PEACE says:

RIGHT ON Rix!!!!!

Oh Crap…

Great lead! I heard about this ship but not much info…timber….right!

Maybe "timber" is code for something that can be lit ON FIRE!…like weapons!

Hmmmmm……….