Sen. Ted Kennedy Dead at 77

A few minutes ago, at approximately 1:45 a.m., news that Sen. Edward Kennedy had succumbed to his brain tumor came across the wires. Only reason I’m seeing this now is because I’m up studying Workers’ Compensation law. It’s gripping stuff, really.

Ted Kennedy is a conundrum for me. As a kid learning about the assassination of his two brothers, I was sympathetic toward the man. Nobody should have to endure such a loss. As a young adult learning of the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, however, specifically in that officials felt as though a swift response could have saved her life and that he was more concerned with career and cover-up, any sympathy was gone for good.

While his voice during the civil rights movement was strong, welcome and warranted, his perspective on health care–which would rob people of the very treatments that had extended his life–and so many other pieces of social legislation has been hypocritical at best. For me, his contribution to beneficial anomalies such as the Americans With Disabilities Act will always be juxtaposed with his role in exponentially expanding the size, scope and reach of the federal government.

That being said, I’ve made it a personal policy to refrain from completely dumping upon someone at a time so near to their death. Kennedy was, after all, a United States Senator and an older American and thus deserving of respect. All politics aside, my thoughts and prayers are with the Kennedy family — but any wish that he “rest in peace” should be noticeably absent, as he extended no such courtesy to Mary Jo Kopechne.

Comments

1. Over the bridge and through the lies we go.... says:

Isn't it weird that, of the 3 brothers, 2 were murdered, and the 3rd was a murderer himself? What are the odds?

Politics aside, rest in peace.

Politics aside, there's sufficient question if he'll rest in peace…..

that people like the kennedys continue to be in politics, just shows how divalued has become politics in usa
    politicians should at least have a minimun decorum & decency, but it seems that some politicians are armoured against atrocious behaviours, and continue to be our representatives
    THIS IS ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS WHY USA IS IN A SUCH DISASTROUS SITUATION

5. PEME says:

I'm certain Mary Jo Kopechne's realtives have breathed a sigh of relief at last. They finally have the justice that was denied them.

Time to answer for your actions to the all knowing. I was too young to know of what happened to Mary Jo, but when I researched the event online I was uterly disgusted and I have a feeling there will be no mention of her in this "ocean" of media coverage.

7. GODS TERM LIMIT says:

It's all water under the bridge now.
    And, LEAVE MY HEALTHCARE alone.

8. Laurie says:

" — but any wish that he "rest in peace" should be noticeably absent, as he extended no such courtesy to Mary Jo Kopechne."

Jeff, I could not agree more. From accounts I read Mary Jo did not drown, she sufficated. What a horrible way to die….praying for 12 hours that help would arrive and it never did. He passed with his family and loved ones around him. But "vengence is mine" sayeth the Lord……and I will leave Him to it.

Say Hi to Mary Jo, if by chance you're in the same vicinity.

10. Sandy says:

What is weird is the amount of tragedy in the Kennedy family.

JOE – die in WWII plane crash
    JACK – assassinated
    BOBBY – assassinated
    TEDDY – Mary Jo Kopechne, survived 1964 plane crash that left him with severe back pain, died of brain cancer
    ROSEMARY – mildly mentally challenged while young, at 23 was lobotomized and became completely incapacitated
    JOHN JR. – died in plane crash with his wife and sister-in-law
    EDWARD JR. – Ted's son had leg amputated at knee due to cancer
    KARA – Ted's daughter had tumor removed
    PATRICK – Ted's son had tumor removed
    JOAN – Ted's ex-wife and mother to Kara, Patrick and Edward Jr. battled alcoholism and breast cancer

11. sharon says:

I called my mom today. She raised us in Michigan where we still reside. She was born and raised in MA, her family remain life long MA residents. The Kennedy's are well loved in MA so I sent my condolences. I disagreed politically with so much, but that family in particular know what loss is more so than many. I wish them all my blessings. ( I had a huge crush on John Jr.)

Regardless of how I feel about him personally, he is an illustration of why we do not need career politicians. I know the people voted for him but I think they become so entrenched in the system and so arrogant that they abuse the POWER that WE have given them.
    We need to have term limits so that the politicians can maintain a clear perspective as to why they are there and who they work for…they need to understand that they are dispensible and there are others who can do just as well or better than they have done. I pray that he made his peace with God as I do not wish damnation on anyone.

13. Boidenzee says:

I can't recall so many CNN talking heads wearing black.

14. Sprite says:

Who of us is flawless and without faults? Do we not learn from others mistakes? I have made many and would dare not reveal them mainly from pure shame and will not judge another. Uncle Teddy was a man that stood for service for others. What have you done or what will do? I must go I have work to do.

I am surprized that Massachusets did not mummify Ted Kennedy to prevent midterm reelection. That's precisely what Isralei left did to Ariel Sharon to postpone the reelection and let Ehud Olmert, a media-controlled nobody, to keep the ruling party in power for two extra years.

Other than that, good riddance. I have no good will towards the professionally-political clans, be it Kennedy, Bush or Clinton. also, even though I am not opposed to murder on religious grounds, the one as pointless and vile as that of Ms. Kopechne cries for a retribution.

Now its on to making legislation in heaven.

(Your personal policy to refrain from completely dumping upon someone at a time so near to their death)

But you couldn't refrain yourself from doing just that.

That's just so Right wing of you.

I would have more respect for you if you were honest with your hate for the man.

18. goddessdivine says:

I think you summed up so many of our sentiments here. I want to be respectful at this time of his passing, but it's a little hard not to think of the damage done by one man……esp Chappaquiddick.

My heart and prayers go out to his family.

19. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

But you couldn't refrain yourself from doing just that.

That's just so Right wing of you.

I could have done a lot worse.

Joe Biden just called him "one of the most partisan, liberal men of the last century." And that's fine. Politics is politics.

I can forgive someone for following liberal ideology in terms of shaping legislation. My issue was with the character he showed back then along the Chappaquiddick.

I've heard that he was the consummate professional. I've read that he was a wonderful man. But because I cannot assess that for myself, and CAN assess what happened with Mary Jo, it's hard for me to reconcile feeling upset because of his passing.

I feel for his family, for sure. But as for him, I'm ambivalent.

20. HOSPICE HILL says:

I can't respect ANYONE that makes government their LIFELONG vocation. GET A LIFE and let others take a shot at REPRESENTING us.

Anonymous at 10:22, I can assure you the critics on the left will be much harsher on GWB when the time comes and what will you have to say about him? Will you be the slightest bit charitable?

22. Jan says:

As a professing Christian I am saddened by this piece. We humans, this side of Heaven put a measuring scale on sin and wrong-doing. However, God treats all sin the same. He likens gossip to murder. Regardless the fact that I do not like the man’s actions he still deserved my love and compassion. The God I serve formed and knew this man before in his mother’s womb no differently than I. My first obligation as a Christian is to love the Lord my God with all my heart, mind, soul and strength. Second is my command to love others. I cannot do this on my own but through Christ who lives in me. No matter how much I may agree/disagree with this man only God knows his heart. God loves him as much as He loves me, whether we deserve it or not. Senator Kennedy was someone’s son, someone’s father, husband, grandfather, cousin, uncle, brother, friend. People knew and loved him, as did God. I pray for the family and pray he received God’s gift of love and salvation.

anonymous at 10:22 a.m.–

The MAN died; the Senate lost a MEMBER.

We can discuss politics all day long, from both sides of the aisle. This isn't about Rightwing/Leftwing issues, though.

Ted Kennedy had a less than illustrious past. An innocent girl died because of his underhanded self-gratification.

I don't see anything honorable about the MAN; I could give a rat's rosterium about MA politics. Everything he did in Congress cost taxpayers billions of dollars. Is that so "wonderful?"

24. Chuck in San Diego says:

Joseph Farah said it pretty well in this article from April 03, 2008:

….."Economist Milton Friedman was testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee in favor of a national constitutional amendment for a balanced budget. Kennedy argued that a requirement for a balanced budget would restrict the federal government's power and its ability to spend – thus, he said, Washington's role in more fairly and equitably distributing wealth, goods and services.

"Senator, socialism hasn't worked in 6,000 years of recorded history," explained Friedman. "Why won't you give up on it?"

Kennedy rose to his feet, according to Nuttle, who attended the hearing, and replied: "It hasn't worked in 6,000 years of recorded history because it didn't have me to run it."
    …..

Watch Ted Kennedy's passing become the new mantra/battle cry for passing Obama's "Health Insurance Reform".

The timing couldn't be better.

I can just see the the placards at the upcoming rallies supporting Obama's policies with a picture of "The Lion of the Senate" and a caption something like "Teddy's last words;'Don't fail me. Pass health care reform'".

Old Bob

26. Leah says:

Remembering Mary Jo Kopechne.

You can not hide from Justice. He will have to answer for what he did.

The Kennedy family was cursed years ago. I heard the first version, being a Lubavitcher myself.

If it really happened like this or not, who knows.

RIP Mary Jo Kopechne.

Old Bob:
    A very wise observation. That's how Israelis ended up with all those insanely lopsided "agreements" and "treaties" with the Palestinian gang – they were rammed down their throats as a legacy of Rabin who was "died to pave the road to peace". And of course, everyone who objected was declared a radical who desecrated the holy memory of the deceased. I'm quite sure that Rahm Emmanuel know the technology.

…but let's not name this health care bill after Ted Kennedy. What a way to get a sympathy vote.
    Sorry he has died, but he has left quite a bit in his wake!

29. Bodenzee says:

To quote the noted attorney, Clarence Darrow:

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."

30. William A. Rose says:

I have to disagree with your wording, Jeff. At the end of this: "That being said, I've made it a personal policy to refrain from completely dumping upon someone at a time so near to their death. Kennedy was, after all, a United States Senator and an older American and thus deserving of respect."

Respect must be earned. It should not be freely given. Courtesy, on the other hand, should be freely given and should not have to be earned. Just think about this. If yo udisagree, or anyone else, really give it some more thought. Thanks

Please stop by 43rdsfan@zazzle.com to see the stickers I posted on Kennedys passing. I beleive they are telling, yet in good taste. Gods Grace.

32. bblackvt says:

This is terrible. How can we say that she died for a good cause???? Did I miss something? She was probably rapped and then left to drown and die. The Kennedys are notorious for coming such crimes. Hate to say it, but it’s true.