Further Steps?

Assigned Reading: Deficit Projection Grows by $2 Trillion
(FROM: Politico)

So, I’m making some rounds across the ole’ Internet, looking to populate the list of Fresh-Picked Assigned Reading (on the right-hand-side of the page, a feature I’ve been regretfully neglecting recently), and I came across this story at Politico.com.

It’s not so much the news that the projected allowable 10-year deficit has grown to $9 trillion, as that news came out at the end of the day on Friday. What gets me, though, is the first paragraph to the Politico piece:

The White House on Tuesday reiterated its projection “that the recession will end in the second half of 2009,” and said President Barack Obama plans to take further steps to reduce the deficit in next year’s budget.

I’ve admitted that I’m not an economic genius, but how exactly is the president taking “further steps” to reduce the deficit? The very idea of “further steps” insinuates that steps have already been taken in the first place, and the news that the projected deficit has been increased by $2 trillion countermands that sentiment quite clearly.

That’s all. Just needed to get that question off of my chest.

Comments

1. IT'S OUR FAULT says:

My poor grandson (due Dec 12)

"Spend more–enjoy it less?"

I just had a CRAZY thought: If obama/Soetoro is going to strip us of our money anyway, why not just go ahead and spend it?

An idea of what a trillion dollars looks like: A stack of a hundred $100 bills = $10,000.

A hundred stacks of $10,000 each = a million dollars ($1,000,000).

A hundred million fits on a standard pallet (About as high as wide).

One billion dollars (1 + 9 zeroes $1,000,000,000) will fit on ten pallets.

One TRILLION DOLLARS (this gets ugly) = $1,000,000,000,000 (that 1 + 12 zeroes) looks like a football field covered with 50 pallets across DOUBLE-STACKED and double-stacked to cover the entire football field.

For each trillion dollars of debt, add another layer of double-stacked pallets to cover the same football field.

HELLO, EPA: We will be out of trees before 2012! If you don't raise Cain over this, then we may as well go ahead and drill our own oil, before Soros figures out how to get his mitts on that, too.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhh, I'm so sorry! But he will receive U.S. citizenship on the day he is BORN!

4. Michele says:

IT'S OUR FAULT,

I'm confused as to what you mean. Did I miss something?

The Obama Administration will say anything to make themselves look good. They are deceiving and are a bunch of liars.

The Obama Administration is sooo concerned about how the terrorist are treated, but they promote mistreatment of American's trying to vote. The Black Panthers can carry bullyclubs (sp) to intimidate voters but don't you dare even look wrong at the terrorists. The terrorists have more rights than we do.

5. goddessdivine says:

Not only does Obama need an econ course, but one in math as well. (Hint to Obama: To reduce a number you can't add $2 mil.)

6. SORRY GRANDSON says:

IT'S OUR FAULT that we have let this go on… and on… and on….. billions and now trillions of waste and mismanagement, R's and D's…… we really do need a revolution.

verification word: hyphi
    A fraternity hand slap in the air

The left are lying to conceal their incompetence and embezzlement. Heck, tell me something I didn't know…

8. Lilly says:

Jeff- Sorry to give you more bad news. According to the CBO and other experts with an interview with fox & Friends this am, that number is crazy and it's much worse then that. That number is based on potential savings that will NEVER happen. 1 example they showed was saving billions by cutting cost on the childrens nutritional food programs and wick programs. Do you really think that will ever happen??
    Fuzzy math at it's finest!