Political Correctness Run Amok

From this point on, because of my maternal great-great-grandfather, I must be addressed as Lithuanian-American. My eyes may be blue, but my hair certainly isn’t brown. It’s a deeper shade of “toast,” please. And, shoot, I think the only safe color left anywhere is pink. Barney Frank is going to be pleased.

But look out, Britain. The word police are on the way. Is the thought police so far behind?

From the Times yesterday:

Among the everyday sayings that have been quietly dropped in a bid to stamp out racism and sexism are “whiter than white”, “gentleman’s agreement”, “black mark” and “right-hand man”.

The Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission has advised staff to replace the phrase “black day” with “miserable day”, according to documents released under freedom of information rules.

It points out that certain words carry with them a “hierarchical valuation of skin colour”. The commission even urges employees to be mindful of the term “ethnic minority” because it can imply “something smaller and less important”.

The National Gallery in London believes that the phrase “gentleman’s agreement” is potentially offensive to women and suggests that staff should replace it with “unwritten agreement” or “an agreement based on trust” instead. The term “right-hand man” is also considered taboo by the gallery, with “second in command” being deemed more suitable.

Many institutions have urged their workforce to be mindful of “gender bias” in language. The Learning and Skills Council wants staff to “perfect” their brief rather than “master” it, while the Newcastle University has singled out the phrase “master bedroom” as being problematic.

I drink my coffee black. Apparently, that makes me the Grand Exalted Imperial Wizard Cyclops of the Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter of the Ku Klux Klan.

Seriously, am I a racist now? I most certainly am a racist, apparently, because I oppose a government-run health care program that will surely descend–through the very free market it works to disable–into a single-payer system. I most certainly am a racist, apparently, because I believe in capitalism, in merit-based pay and advancement, and deny the perceived scourge that is man-made global warming. And not to mention that I not only enjoy drinking caucasians, but that I also am one.

In fact, by having previously come out and having said that it is inherently hypocritical to advocate affirmative action and racial equality in the same sentence, that right there makes me a rabid racist. Forget my whole belief in the Constitution and that whole “equal protection” thing. Not to mention my unhealthy, racist obsession with winners, losers, and the benefit of competition.

We are literally coddling ourselves into oblivion. We’ve created a cushy, mushy, “loserless” culture, and it’s choking the life out of all of us. Our children receive faux gold trophies for participation, their schools ban schoolyard games like dodgeball and “tag,” and in the classroom students can no longer answer a question wrong. And, even if they do, forget the red pen — that makes them feel like they failed!

So, what happens when a problem arises? We solve shortcomings in the classroom, gnat-like attention spans caused by an environment devoid of any competition, by over-diagnosing and over-prescribing Ritalin, Adderal and Concerta. We address other shortcomings, like childhood obesity, not by increasing time in the gymnasium (which would also help the classroom behavior) but instead by blaming school districts for the food they serve, or filing suit against fast food restaurants.

Even our current economic crisis was caused by political correctness run amok. Just as everybody deserves a trophy for strapping on a helmet in pee-wee football, everybody deserved a house, even if they couldn’t afford it. As for the banks and lenders, surely there are no losers among them, either — at a time when smaller banks should be enjoying the irresponsible ways of their bigger counterparts, the ones on the losing end of common sense, the government is instead bailing them out, giving trophies for participation and leaving the responsible winners to fend for themselves.

Oh, and for sure we see political correctness into our steady descent into a nanny state. The Democrats are trying desperately to spend nearly two trillion dollars and destroy our free market-driven health care system so they can theoretically insure the 15 million or so people truly uninsured in America.

And, of course, don’t forget matters of national security. We can’t call terrorists “terrorists.” We can’t call acts of terrorism “terrorism.” There are no “jihadists” anymore. Unlike our politically correct approach to childhood obesity, homeownership or health care, however, this divorce from reality could very well get us killed.

How are we, as a society, supposed to truly bridge the perceived divide between races, sexes, classes or more when we cannot confront them, when we’re avoiding them like a giant pachyderm in the room (I don’t want to say “elephant” for fear of offending Rosie O’Donnell) and tiptoeing around the simplest of phrases? Saying that I want my coffee “black. . . I mean, dark . . . I mean, without cream or sugar or artificial sweetener” makes things even more uncomfortable, and just eliminates the conversation that truly makes us all equal from the landscape of human nature.

This is communal liberalism run amok. It’s happening in Britain now, and it will get even worse there and here unless we all just put our feet down . . . I mean, take a stand . . . I mean, stand firm . . . I mean, resist, and say that enough is, in fact, enough.

Forgive that last part. I just didn’t want to offend the wheelchair-bound.

Comments

"Forgive that last part. I just didn't want to offend the wheelchair bound" (or remind us of Joe Biden's gaffe?).

Question: Just WHO is dictating all those changes of speech? And WHY?

There has to be someone behind it, and there has to be a reason. The Great Usurper can call terrorism whatever he wants to, but I call a spade a spade. Anyone in this country illegally is still an illegal alien; and I'm thinking that our Secretary of Homeland Security is a left-wing extremist terrorist who does not seem to be aware of the fact that this nation has a Constitution.

As long as there is Freedom of Speech, I will call it as I see it!

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." Henry David Thoreau

2. DON'T CALL EM AS YOU SEE EM says:

You mean we can't call a spade a spade?

3. MORE FREE MONEY !!!!! says:

A $300 million cash-for-clunkers-type federal program to boost sales of energy-efficient home appliances provides a glimmer of hope for beleaguered makers of washing machines and dishwashers, but it's probably not enough to lift companies such as Whirlpool (NYSE:WHR – News) and Electrolux out of the worst down cycle in the sector's history.

Beginning late this fall, the program authorizes rebates of $50 to $200 for purchases of high-efficiency household appliances. The money is part of the broader economic stimulus bill passed earlier this year. Program details will vary by state, and the Energy Dept. has set a deadline of Oct. 15 for states to file formal applications. The Energy Dept. expects the bulk of the $300 million to be awarded by the end of November. (Unlike the clunkers auto program, consumers won't have to trade in their old appliances.)

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority & rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Best definition I have ever read about political correctness!!

Right on. When confronted by a liberal calling me a racist, homophobe, etc… I have just started saying, "You know, your right. I am!" At least this shuts them up. They can't think of anything else to say.

6. Ian Thorpe says:

A phrase that was popular at the rather posh school I attended was, "Play the white man old chap;" meaning "do the decent thing."

I suppose a revival of that is out of the question………?

What you need in America is some rhyming slang. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks, Ian. We need all the help we can get!

On another note: Re GLENN BECK
    33 Advertisers have now pulled their ads from Fox News

You know the drill!

8. Magenta Fury says:

Just yesterday, the Silicon Valley Mercury News, a SF Bay area left-wing rag, posted this:

I couldn't believe it was presented as a factual story, not an opinion or editorial piece. You'll note the article clearly spells out that if you are angry about what's going on in this country, you're just a white middle class racist who is not smart enough to realize it!

Can you believe this one? WH Press Secretary Robert Gibbs has told us that "President Obama" is satisfied with being a one-term president.

Say WHAT?! Obama/Soetoro is invalid in the first place! He became a Kenyan citizen on 11 December 1963 because his father was born in Kenya.

Idea! We should all celebrate his Kenyan citizenship on December 11! We could wrap his gifts in copies of the Kenyan Constitution.

Better yet–make that Kenyan Citizenship Month! Help Kenyans celebrate their citizenship and Republic, including Barack Obama/Soetoro's citizenship gained through his father. And it makes no difference WHERE Obama Jr. was born, either.

10. Katherine says:

Racism, sexism, and other -isms are still extremely big problems in society today. More than you could imagine. An article just came out today this week in Psychological Science that was a meta-analysis of a phenomenon called "stereotype threat" (look it up) that demonstrated across 15,000+ people in many different studies, minorities and women are able to outperform their counterparts academically when they are in a "safe" environment as opposed to one that reminds them of their color or gender. In short, racial gaps in achievement and gender gaps in quantitative achievement are psychological, because these folks carry heavy stereotypes with them wherever they go, thus taxing their executive resources that should be used to actually take the test/achieve academically.

All of that being said, political correctness is NOT THE ANSWER. Politically correct moves like this one JUST MAKE THINGS WORSE. What we need is open and honest dialogue. People shouldn't be afraid to say what they feel. Once it's out there we can tackle the issues and learn from each other. I can't believe the words and phrases that you say some of these people and institutions are trying to eradicate. It's also like saying you're "colorblind." No, you're not. So saying you are just suppresses your true feelings. You can see color but still not be a racist.

– a liberal democrat

Katherine:

I have my own, private take on the racism issue. I do not believe that *all* Blacks are inferior to *all* Whites – that would be idiocy since plenty of examples exist saying otherwise – but denying that the races differ in mean parameters such as intelligence, physical characteristics or moral values is not liberalism, it is blind stupidity. Racism is not a rejection of "people of color" as liberals love to term the issue, it is a rejection of the culture commonly assiciated with the majority of people of certain color.

Rix – a statistical analyst and, consequently, a proud racist

Has anyone read this?
    I just read this article-
    Who Is Behind Quashing the Birth Certificate Issue? http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/14089

Judith