Barack & Michelle Minus 4 Years

By Robert Wallace
America’s Right

Don’t get me wrong. Patricia Heaton is a hottie. (It’s OK, my wife says I can say that.) As if that wasn’t enough, she’s also an Honorary Chair of Feminists for Life. And Ray Ramano is a pretty funny guy. Despite these facts I’ve never been able to get into Everybody Loves Raymond.

I don’t know what it is about family sitcoms these days, but it seems like every marriage relationship onscreen boils down to a couple of bickering children. It’s a constantly adversarial relationship pitting an insecure, incompetent, immature, and selfish husband against his uptight and domineering wife. Playful teasing can be funny, and of course every marriage has disagreements, but there just didn’t seem to be enough love interspersed between the friction to keep those improbably hot wives and their pathetic husbands together.

When I first saw a few episodes of Jon and Kate Plus 8 a couple of years ago I immediately thought “They’re going to get divorced.” I didn’t watch the show often because the chaotic scenes of two overwhelmed parents trying to wrangle eight kids completely stressed me out, but in just about every episode there are short snippets of the unhappy couple sitting rigidly before the camera and trading snide remarks about each other.

Of course we know now they do end up getting divorced. And in hindsight my initial reaction seems pretty obvious.

But at the time I second-guessed myself. I think part of the reason I changed my original estimation was that shows like Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, etc have so lowered my expectations for modern marriages. But more than anything, TV content conveys a sense of inevitability to that narratives it depicts. We’re passive consumers, and we simply observer the representation of reality depicted on the screen. It might not be real, but it’s constructed, and so the regular rules don’t apply. All the signs were there – even from a few casual viewings – that there was serious trouble, but that was the name of the show, right? Jon and Kate. I guess it must work for them, I decided.

Everyone in America – conservatives and liberals alike – has been looking at the Obama campaign (including his term so far) through similarly tinted glasses not coincidentally because most of our perceptions of it are shaped by the TV. All the signs of potential trouble have been there from the beginning. America is fundamentally incompatible with the Obamas. We may have come a long, long way from our radically independent roots, but we’re still a fundamentally individualistic country. We’re still a country that believes in our greatest institutions. Even people who want to bury the principles of the Constitution have to pay lip service to it to survive in politics. You don’t mess with the troops and – as Obama found out – you don’t mess with the men and women in blue either. We’re still a country that understands such basic concepts as “don’t spend more money than you have.” Sure, you may whip out the credit card in an emergency. Sure, you may go into debt to buy a home for your family. But responsible or emergency spending on credit has nothing to do with the drunken spending spree Obama and the Democrats have been on. One started – not incidentally – by Republican President George W. Bush.

Contrast this with the Obamas. We have Michelle “Proud-of-My-Country-for-the-First-Time” Obama who believes that her race comes before her country and even her God. And we’ve got Barack “Spread-the-Wealth” Obama who believes that the colletive outweighs the individuals and who views the fundamental principle of the US Constitution – limited government – as an obstacle to be overcome rather than a precept to be protected and – dare I say – conserved.

Talk about irreconcilable differences! All the signs have been there from the beginning: this is not a match that will work.

And yet despite this, Obama won. He won because the aura of inevitability that had been Hillary Clinton’s was ripped from her clutched fingers by a deliriously worshipful mainstream media and handed to Obama like a token of love and fealty. The same kind of intellectuals who produce our evening entertainment crafted a fairytale for us. The narrative was one of hope and change, sure, but what it was really about was redemption. We’re a nation founded on a principle of equality, and yet our history is marred by the most egregious repudiation of our central principle: slavery. The Obama campaign did not present us with a decision to be made. It was a passion play to be experienced. A communal ritual of cleansing.

And for those who dared question the coronation there was the explicit threat: anyone who endangers the rite of racial atonement and rebirth by refusing to buy into the narrative and actually voting based on policy is actually just a bitter, fanatical racist clinging to guns and an intolerant, out-dated religion.

And so the voter turnout in 2008 was lower than 2004 and Obama won. Not because he won the country over to his worldview, but because the narrative of redemption was too appealing. And for those who didn’t buy into the myth — well, many of them were either intimidated by the threat of being labeled racist, apathetic after the betrayals of Bush, or simply disgusted by John McCain’s lackluster campaign.

America is facing two dangers right now. The first danger we face is the obvious one: encroaching statism. The second danger we face is more subtle, however. The country is becoming increasingly attracted to political polls that stand for the exact same things. As long as the Republican Party continues after the mold of Bush and McCain the choice of Democrat vs. Republican is like rooting for the home team vs. the visitor. Rooting for your team because of the pure chance of where you happened to be born may be good enough for modern tribe psychology, but is that any way to run a country? They’re both playing the same game, people.

I don’t want to detract attention from the first danger because it’s the more immediate one. As low as Obama’s poll numbers are and as incompetent as his team has been in recent weeks, we can’t count him out. We cannot rest until we have buried cap-and-trade, euthanized socialized medicine, and defeated all the other efforts to remake America in the image of the failed policies and dogmas of the past.

But in the back of our minds we need to be aware of what else is going on in our society. Take a look at the decaying condition of our newspapers and network news. The mainstream media richly deserves the imminent financial catastrophe that is headed its way, but we should be cognizant that – for better or worse – at least the MSM represented some attempt to have a middle ground where Americans from the left and right could fight over a common watering hole. The “I’m going to take my ball and go home” attitude that is replacing it – on the left and right – is dividing America into opposing tribes that don’t even recognize each other, let alone communicate with each other. Meanwhile both political parties are being reduced to little more than glorified errand-boys for the special interests that keep getting the same Good Ole Boys (or Girls) elected.

A wise man once explained how this process led to the fall of the Roman Empire:

On both sides the ancient propaganda of freedom has a singularly hollow ring, because each was being torn and flattered by internal bits of polarization, that factio, the restless, narrow, angry and violent defense of special interests which, according to the ancient observers, was what really destroyed the Empire. Each half of the world was in itself a world of factions and parties, of rival ideologies and rival cultures pitted against each other in deadly conflict, yet so exactly alike in everything but label as to give the impression that one antagonist is simply a mirror-image of the other.

This is a very important principle. As the two poles conceive an ever-greater antipathy to each other, they become more and more alike. Everyone knows that it is like poles that repel each other. As each recognizes itself in the other, it resents the incriminating resemblance. It was the custom of the emperors of Rome and Asia to describe themselves in identical terms, while each accused his rival of being a base forgery and depraved imitation of himself. We have not here a real clash of ideologies at all, but only the rivalry of parties animated by identical principles and racing for the same objectives. What they were both after was … power and gain. And the secret of commanding loyalty on both sides was, of course, to play up the wickedness of the other.

While the short-range danger is both clear and present, the long-range danger is left unaddressed. I don’t think Barack Obama’s presidency has any more of a chance to be successful in the long run than the Gosselin’s ill-fated marriage. There are enough good men and women in this country standing up and joining the political arena for the first time that, if we remain dedicated, we can win.

But if we allow this upsurge of patriotic dissent to be hijacked by a corrupt Republican Party, then just a few years from now we’re going to have another George W. Bush, but worse. Bush – I believe – was in large part motivated by a sincere and profound desire to keep America safe following the attacks of September 11, 2001. I don’t think he was a bad person, but there’s no question that expanding government as he did through programs like No Child Left Behind was bad government. So we will end up there again, with Republicans on a spending spree and expanding government, and the idealistic, charismatic populist who comes after Obama is going to have an even better chance of pushing the country over the brink. The heightened dangers we face from resurgent old enemies, nefarious new enemies, and a US dollar speeding towards the brink of total collapse only serve to raise the stakes.

The solution is simple: we who have stood up as conservatives must refuse to be co-opted by the Republican Party. Pragmatically speaking a 3rd party is not the solution (although I’m not ruling it out, either), but we must absolutely not allow our movement to be co-opted. This means more of us need to run for office ourselves, become active at the primary level in selecting genuinely conservative candidates, and more vocal between elections in holding our elected representatives accountable. Although I’ve long been and continue to be a supporter of Mitt Romney, I can think of no candidate that better epitomizes the fresh spirit we need than Sarah Palin. Young, conservative, willing to learn, and in it for the right reasons.

Regardless of the specifics of what we do in the years to come, the key is that we keep the base active. It’s easy to be motivated now, when Obama’s insane policies are creating a convenient rallying point. It’s going to be harder – ironically – to remain vigilant if and when Obama and Pelosi’s progressive policies are soundly defeated.

—————
Robert Wallace is classical liberal and a devout Mormon. He is currently studying economics in graduate school. He and his wife work as business analysis consultants, and they live as undercover conservatives with their two small children in a liberal bastion of a college town. He has been writing for America’s Right since December 2008.

Comments

1. PALIN 2012 says:

Robert, RIGHT ON! I proudly keep my Palin sticker on my car, and feel NO shame. We need a NORMAL person in Washington. COMMON SENSE outweighs Ivy League any day of the week.

Robert, that was absolutely great!

No arguments, just total agreement. And, it needed to be said!

3. Ian Thorpe says:

Enjoyed the description of sitcom sexism Robert, I still like Married With Children.

A few years ago here it the UK television companies seemed to find it impossible to make a sitcom that did not feature a harassed professional woman juggling careers and home life hampered by her useless, obnoxious husband while her very beautiful and successful best friend had a wonderful man, a great cook and helpful with housework, sensitive and caring, well groomed, just about perfect in every way. And inevitably black.

These comedies were seldom recommissioned for a second series, some didn't even complete the first. When will media types understand if we want to be preached at we will go to church.

What really needs to happen to curtail the corruption in congress is we need term limits and no special privileges for Congress. 8 yrs in the House, 8 yrs in the Senate. Once their term is up they run for another office or return to being a private citizen. They should not receive the pay of a Congressman for the rest of their lives. It is a privilege to serve not serving is a privilege.

Are there any Vegas bet-brokers taking wages on THIS marriage lasting? Would love to know those odds.

6. Foxwood says:

Do you believe the Constitution is the rule of law? Do you believe in the original intent of our founding fathers? Do you want to reform Congress? If your answer is yes, we have to work together to make this happen.

7. Robert Wallace says:

"What should I do come November 2012?"

If you're waiting until 2012 you're waiting too long. I'm not sure if this is a product of your background (and I don't mean that in any offensive way) but a big part of the "But what do we DO!?!" hand-wringing crowd is the obsession with finding something to do that involves the system. Either somehow co-opting it, changing it, or in other ways interfacing with it.

Systemic government is an arbitrary creation that rests upon public will. I don't know if you have any experience with software design, but the conceptual frameworks they describe for interaction between hardware, operating system, and applications apply. Government is the most-removed from the actual source of power: the populace. It's the applications.

Public will is the hardware: it's what actually runs everything.

Any myopic obsession with altering the applications that we run is going to miss the fact that the problem is with the hardware: a jaded and disengaged public.

All that the United States needs is an active public dedicated to preserving our ideals, and proper government will flow from that.

Unfortunately, this is not a question that can be reduced to poll numbers or analytics. Nor can it be systematized or codified.

This doesn't make it any less real. Just look at the numbers of formerly apathetic Americans who are starting to wake up.

That's what we need.

The question now is whether this indignation will be channeled into productive rebirth or hijacked into partisan feuding.

No matter what happens, however, if you're sitting around in 2012 trying to figure out who to vote for you already missed the boat.

By years.

8. KISS OFF GORE, I BELIEVE M.I.T. says:
  9. Lilly says:

Robert-
    I couldn't agree more and have been thinking the same thing for a while. Thank you for putting it in an easy to understand way. Along the same topic, kind of, I think this video by PJTV has an excellent point too.

An interesting article that is long on good rhetorics and short on actual suggestions. What should I do come November 2012? Hold my nose as I push the red button? Or pull a Nader on a so-so, semi-conservative candidate to get another Democratic tyrant? Because as long as the idiocy of open primaries (which saddled us with John McLame) continue, there is not a snowball's chance in hell for a solidly conservative candidate to make it to the finals.

11. TWO PARTY SYSTEM SUCKS says:

Right on Rix,

why can't we have 34 candidates like we do now for mayor of Memphis?

That would be sooooo cool.

12. Dee says:

I agree with your article but would also like to see the primary election held on the same day in all the states. It seems that those states that have the earliest primaries somehow persuade those with the latest primaries that the candidates that won early on are the best. The MSM grabs onto the one they like and that is the only one they write about in positive terms.
    I think it is vitally important that we keep those who are now waking up awake and intersted. Communicating and presenting the other side will be very important and must continue until 2012. The next conservative candidate had better have a great platform that he can stick to. I listen to all of them and think that I can say the same things and be on the ballot ( lower taxes, more money for schools, free this, free that, and you won't have to spend anymore than you do now). I've become a political junkie and am beginning to think I should go to some political junkie anonymous meeting. Thank you, Robert, and to all you contribute and comment.

13. Robert Wallace says:

"Another part of my background, which I believe I have mentioned before, is not being a citizen of the USA until early fall 2012."

My mistake. If you had mentioned not being a citizen until 2012 I have forgotten.

"You know my take on the situation…"

I do. And I'm ready to put money on it. $50 says the Dems lose 20 or more seats in the House.

What do you say?

> If you're waiting until 2012 you're waiting too long. I'm not
    > sure if this is a product of your background…

Yeah, it is a part of my background. Another part of my background, which I believe I have mentioned before, is not being a citizen of the USA until early fall 2012.

You know my take on the situation and it say that 2012 is indeed too late. Actually, 2010 is also too late – by a few years or maybe decades. The "minority payback dream" jinni is out of the bottle and sooner or later demographic trends will finish what started long before Obama unless voting rules are changed drastically.

They're saying something like 8 to 10, but admitted that probably wasn't enough.

I'll say 20 also, but I'm praying for many more!

From NumbersUSA:

U.S. Imports 1.5 million Foreign Workers Despite 15 Million Unemployed Americans

Two weeks ago, we began our Elevator Ad television campaign, and Roy's blog that introduced it, referred to the importation of 1.5 million foreign workers per year (or 125,000 per month). Many NumbersUSA members asked how we arrived at the figure, so Roy posted a video blog on Wednesday explaining the math.

With 15 million unemployed Americans, the government continues to import massive amounts of foreign labor to compete for open jobs, and Congress has done nothing to stop it. NumbersUSA is calling for a suspension of non-essential immigration to help American workers get back on their feet. Visit your Action Buffet for a list of faxes to send to your Members of Congress and read Roy's blog and watch his video blog for more information.

The health care debate continues to rage on, so the Center for Immigration Studies hosted a panel discussion on Wednesday to talk about the impacts of immigration on health care. Watch the broadcast of the panel discussion on C-SPAN to learn more.

Thanks,
    Chris Chmielenski
    Website Content Manager

17. TERM LIMITS!!!!!! says:

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Rep. Patrick Kennedy said Friday that his father, Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy, has been "very frustrated" to be absent from Washington during the debate over health care reform.
    Kennedy, a Rhode Island Democrat, told The Associated Press that his father, who has made health care a core issue during his 47 years in the Senate, has a unique ability to read his colleagues and negotiate compromises.

"Every other senator in that Senate knows that there have been very few senators like Ted Kennedy over the years that can bring both sides together and hammer out a deal that can then go to the president," said the younger Kennedy, who called his father a "master legislator" and statesman.

Patrick Kennedy plans his own town hall meeting on Sept. 3. He said critics of the reform have blatantly misrepresented facts, causing confusion and unnecessary concern that people would be forced to change their health plan even if they like it. If the health care overhaul fails, he warned, Americans would be left with an unmanageble system.

"It's very hard to have any logical and honest debate when you're trying to discuss an issue in which two people are coming at it from a totally different set of suppositions," he said.

Rep. Kennedy's father was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor in May 2008. He underwent a risky, aggressive surgery shortly after his diagnosis, but since then has been convalescing at his homes in Washington and Hyannis Port, Mass., as well as a rental property in Florida.

Earlier this week, Edward Kennedy sent a letter to Massachusetts leaders asking that they change state law to allow someone to be quickly appointed to his seat in Congress "should a vacancy occur," though aides said there has been no material change to his condition.
    Patrick Kennedy did not discuss his father's health other than to say, "I love being with him and all the time that I've been given to be with him. These last several months to a year have just been a blessing to me and my family."

But he said it's been "very frustrating" for his father to miss a debate that he's helped lead for many years and to watch Democrats and Republicans struggle for compromise. Still, the senator has followed the debate from afar, prodding his colleagues to pass reforms in a recent essay in Newsweek magazine.

"My dad has the principle of ensuring the best possible deal for the American people, and he also has the practicality to know what can be accomplished in a given political environment," Patrick Kennedy said. "He is the master legislator."

> I do. And I'm ready to put money on it. $50 says the Dems lose 20 or
    > more seats in the House.

I'll pass on the offer – and, since you did not take my bet (on Dems keeping both Houses), our estimates are pretty close.

I got a robo-call from Rep. Boehner tonight asking for money to support his bid for Speaker seat. I said I'll resume sending Republicans money when they launch an official Birth Certificate investigation. The aide who called sighed and said I'm the third person in a row who said so…

I've read all the comments and I don't think there is a Republican out there NOW who can run for President and win-and i.ve been a
    Republican all my life!! The reasons are obvious: The GOP under Bush lead us into two wars (on-going),a financial hole the ground in 2008 with TARP and the public has not forgottten!! Think of the clowns in the 2006 house that were corrupt-Dennis Hastert and Tom Delay and others in the Senate who lost also from the backlash to Bush-even though he wasn't running!!
    Mccain was a pathetic candidate who was desperate
    and choose Sarah Palin. She won't be President in 2012 even though I like her and believe she is a populist with comment sense. She is continually attacked even after she left office because the Democrats are totally 'scared' she might!
    In 1990 I made a mistake and voted for Ross Perot rather than Bush and I got-OMG–Clinton!! I mention him because Perot made the cas about the National debt that voters believed in. So we need someone with the moral authority, brains and 'national' name recognition like Jeb Bush, Mitt Rommeny, who was ripped unfairly for being a Morman, Rudy Giuiani etc. you take the good parts :brains, national standing and political savvy add a ethnic
    component and you come up with a "Rocky Balboa". I'm serious about this the GOP under Steele are to weak and don't fight dirty enought for me!!!!!!!!! We need the same crimnal tactics as the corrupt Democrats= secert accounts payed by Billionaires who are either conservative or far right wing. Why because it WORKED. We need a grass roots system for the rest of America that equals or better than Acorn,Media Matters,Daily Kos, Huffington Post BS. We must be more effective at slamming the MSM outside the Fox news network. We need a nation/local grass roots that can give irrefutable facts againg the Democrats. I swear If
    the repubs. op again for public finacing I won't even VOTE in 2010,2012-they will lose both elections ensuring a socialist communist outcome for America. My point here is we should start trying to find who could come into the fray that is compete enought without skeltons in their closet to not be dismissed by the left wing media. We need a right wing underground that have the ability to intimidate the left underground including right wing thugs who show up at democrat rallies and are willing to scream and have enought people there to make the media know the days of the left wing thugs can be a beated (literaly) and prove the left to be the liars we know they are!! in short the new election needs a instant reply WAR Room a real-fact check to fight the Annunberg leftist liars that can instanly attack and be effective aginst the MSM at drowning out the nasties on the left and get MSM to cite the machine built by the right!
    Remember one thing about the 2008 election Obama out spent the Mccain champain by 3 to one and most of it came in the form of $200 credit cards send from here and overseas and NOT ONE cent was scruntinized the FEC!!! but public money by Mccain was 100% 'audited' by the FEC. is that insane or what!! i believe the tea parties in 538 districts and the 9/12 meet in washing DC could be very effective. i;ve been to one and the rage I saw fron genuine average citizens was great. I say keep it up and we will defeat the Socialist 'public option' which is trojan horse for one payer. it's the same tactis the canadians used to get one payer. I'm nt saying the private Insurance companies are not corrupt BUT you can jump or SUE them if they 'screw' over you. With the government -there is no appeal!! i kow i worked the DoD in Contracting and anyone who appealed allomst always lost. Who would you appeal to- Barney Frank, Henry Waxman,Nancy Pelosi!
    Sorry I ran my mounth so long but being 67 years old and seriously Ill for the last 13 years I fear the $500 billion over the next 10 years will result in ratioing for seniors nomatter what Obama says.
    thaks John from Ohio.

20. whats_up says:

Robert,

Interesting piece, however one point of clarification. Voter turnout for the 2008 Presidential election was higher than for 2004 by about 10 mil people.

21. IQ TEST AND 1040 SHOULD BE REQUIRED says:

That's because all those Mickey Mouses turned out to vote.

Quantity does not mean quality. Ask Rix about the quality and goal of the electorate of late.

22. Still a Patriot says:

Hi Robert -

I have some fears about the upcoming elections & the probability of fraud. I agree we need an overhaul in the GOP, not to mention the entire process.

Dee – I totally agree with you – all primaries on the same day!!!

To John & anyone else considering Romney – please check out his record as governor & check out massresistance.org. It wasn't so much his religion as his record & constant flip-flopping.

We need someone with a back bone who doesn't change their message to accomodate the audience. I say Mike Huckabee in 2012.

Susan