Does This Make Ben Bernanke a Drug Dealer?

Assigned Reading: U.S. Banknotes Show Cocaine Traces
(FROM: BBC)

Hmm. Maybe now our currency is actually worth something.

Come on. I don’t care who you are — that’s funny right there.

All kidding aside, this item–reported yesterday–isn’t really news. A study in 1985 by the Miami Herald showed that most bills did in fact test positive for traces of the drug. Interestingly enough, $20 bills collected from an archbishop, a former Miss America, Jeb Bush–then the son of the sitting vice president–and a Dade County State Attorney named Janet Reno were among those which tested positive.

Comments

1. PRESSES RUNNING HOT says:

This must be why they are printing so much NEW, CLEAN money.

I don't think there is any political implication in the article – I mean, outside of a hearty laugh. A single drug dealer has more cash passing through his hands weekly than I'll likely have in my lifetime.

I still remember that in 2002, when I was still unaware that other radio stations exist besides NPR, there was an "hour of science" there that I kinda liked. Some day, a chemist was talking about their new marijuana testing technology that involved a piece of hair instead of usual urine sample. They tested a few police precincts in California and received results that in today's America would be a crime to publish: while 100% of Caucasian cops were clean, about 80% of African Americans weren't. The interview went on approximately like that:
    NPR interviewer, in flustered voice: "The technology is probably not reliable enough yet, is it?"
    Scientist: "Of course it is. We tested it on a large number of rats."
    Interviewer: "I don't see how it can be applicable."
    Scientist, annoyed: "Well, I do."
    Awkward silence, then advertising.

3. GET LINCOLN OUTTA YO NOSE says:

Lets go back to the gold standard (Acapulco gold).

I like Barack's solution to this issue best of all. Just print more money!

Solve two problems at once!

See? Liberal thinking ain't that hard to figger.

They got those bills from Right-wingers! You knew that, though, huh?

6. ITS RAINING MONEY says:

Bernanke is clean, he just dispenses newly printed, drug-trace free, worthless dollar bills.

7. SWAB WITH A FRANKLIN says:

Gail, ours have gun powder on them, silly.