Finding a Few Welcome Surprises

By golly, the folks over at Newsbusters have been busy in recent days, as the frustration over the Democratic Party’s plan for health care reform has reached a boiling point. Every time I’m on that phenomenal Web site, it motivates me to do more here at America’s Right. In the meantime, I’m happy to just give them a tip of the hat for bringing to light the following CNN video:

I don’t know much of anything about CNN’s Rick Sanchez. I haven’t watched him enough to know where his personal politics lie. I do remember his perspective on the immigration debate being biased toward illegal immigrants (kind of like Geraldo Rivera), and I remember some shameless promotion of Sonia Sotomayor. But I also recall Sanchez owning up to a mistake he made about the McCain campaign during last year’s presidential election. Regardless, what I saw here, however, was a journalist who was doing his job as a journalist. I would hope that, regardless of whether it was a Democrat or Republican that was displaying such disgusting conduct at their own town meeting, Sanchez and any other industry-respecting journalist would do the same.

It’s funny, in a way, how conflict and strife of the sort we are seeing can bring unexpected perspective. On a national level, the polls are showing that Americans may be waking up to the reality of the Democrats’ health care agenda; on a personal level, I have new-found respect for two unlikely people as a result of their conduct throughout this congressional recess.

The first, of course, is Sanchez. Shortly after I decided to pursue journalism at Auburn, I climbed the stairs to the second floor at Tichenor Hall to introduce myself to some of the faculty and talk a bit to a few of the students. Walking down the hallway toward the offices, I could see the First Amendment painted on the far wall with care. I smiled. I wanted a career in print journalism, writing news pieces. Fast forward more than a dozen years, and what I’m doing is profoundly different.

Here at America’s Right, I’m blessed to be able to express my opinion. I’m a commentator of sorts, just as Glenn Beck, Bill O’Reilly, Sean Hannity, Chris Matthews, Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow are commentators (NOTE: I am not comparing my abilities to theirs). They, like me, are opinion peddlers. A news anchor is an entirely different animal, however. At CNN and MSNBC, Fox News Channel and the networks, news anchors–as opposed to commentators–are hired and expected to objectively report the news. At Fox, Shepard Smith does a nice job as a news anchor. On the opposite side of the yellow journalism spectrum, MSNBC’s David Shuster can rarely contain himself and refrain from injecting personal opinion into what should be objectively-read news. Despite some previous hang-ups–which all seem to center around one particular issue–I’d say that Sanchez is more Smith than Shuster. You wouldn’t catch Shuster dead giving a Democrat congresswoman a hard time.

Second, the despicable conduct of Rep. Jackson-Lee has reinforced my respect for my own congressman, Joe Sestak. I know that he’s a liberal Democrat. I know that I don’t agree with him on anything. Comparing Sestak’s conduct at yesterday’s town hall meeting with that of Jackson-Lee’s, however, is like comparing night with day. Sestak went out of his way to meet people, physically strained to listen, and conducted himself admirably. Jackson-Lee, well, didn’t.

People like Sheila Jackson-Lee, as opposed to Joe Sestak, seem to have forgotten that they work for you and for me. With regard to Sestak, I wrote a short note to him, thanking him for setting an example for the rest of his colleagues when it comes to constituent interaction. With regard to those like Jackson-Lee who don’t follow that example, who forget exactly who they work for, I find the best way to remind those people of their employers is to provide them with a pink slip in even years.

Comments

1. PSYDOG says:

This Congresswoman has an issue with pride. She just another example of the arrogant politician that has no interest in what their constituent want nor do they want to hear from them. I am in the military and currently teaching other soldiers at a military school and I am yet to hear any of m students, voice anything but disgust and distrust of these politicians that are holding these town hall meetings and not listening to the people.

2. PSYDOG says:

Sorry for the misspelled and missing letters. I have been up since 5:00 am and taught classes for 11 hours.

I watched Greta interview her tonight. Lee is self absorbed and arrogant. She wouldn't let Greta get a word in edgewise either. She is guilty as charged, otherwise she wouldn't have tried to control the conversation as such.
    The lady asking the question was interviewed on Fox last night. I can't remember which program it was off hand, but she did NOT imply that she was so moved and touched by the conversation that took place with Lee after the meeting. She wasn't impressed at all the way that Lee puts on in both the interviews I've watched. She's trying to sugarcoat this major foul up that she made. I guess if Obama got away with the lame excuses, or lies as I like to call it.. she can too. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. But, I will add that I was glad to see this CNN guy speak up.

4. THE AUDACITY OF DOPE says:

It wasn't 3am at that townhall meeting was it? She may have been making one of those 3am calls to the White House (to report that lady). Hillary warned us.

5. CSA says:

What a disgrace to TWO hallowed names, JACKSON and LEE. It's lookin like we just might 'rise again'.

verification word: penized
    What Barry was in the limo

OK folks…this is it.

Democratic Representative Sheila Jackson Lee has a plant at her health care town hall, but it's not just any plant…this was a campaign volunteer impersonating a DOCTOR! Is there not any law or moral code on the face of the earth that these hypocritical politicians have any fear of judgment whatsoever? It sure doesn't appear as such. Evil is as evil does.

Bottom line this politician needs to at worst be charged with a crime for fraud perpetrated against her constituents and at least be forced to resign immediately. She should not be allowed to continue with impunity after this blatant and egregious breach of trust and violation of the oath of office she swore to uphold. She has to go and punishment has to follow.

Secondly, this little miss "I'm gonna play a doc tonight for the pres" has some splainin' to do before a judge. Impersonating a doctor is a crime. Period.

"What are the legal ramifications of impersonating a doctor?"

Practicing medicine without a license is a felony in every state. In some states, the board of examiners can prosecute. In others, they can only refer the case to the local district attorney.

We'll I guess if we can have a fake president, why not a fake doc, right?

She must have slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

Get to a phone today (right now) and call the board of examiners, the district attorney and the state attorney general. Make this one stick.

Also, send this to as many as you can, get the word out on this one. WWJD. He turned the tables on the money changers. There comes a time where you have to take responsibility for reporting a crime. It's your civic duty and you should not be expected to continually turn the other cheek.

Liberty or tyranny.

Pixel Patriot

It never ceases to pleasantly surprise me when a representative actually pays attention to his or her constituents. And why should they? Money speaks louder than deeds anyway – a well placed TV ad can yield more votes than a great law that cost a year's worth of sweat. With most of th epopulation so woefully uneducated (read my lips: and stupid), the "democratic" election process has become a sad joke. People voting with their taxes is what the country needs.

"If voting changed anything they'd make it illegal." — Emma Goldman

I think it was Maxine Waters calling Sheila Jackson Lee to advise her "Don't say the word SOCIALISM"

10. CLICK CLICK CLICK says:

Sure she was talking' on that phone? She may be snapping cellphone pics of opposition to email to flag@whitehouse.gov

Would have loved to have seen reporter Rick Sanchez whip out a cell phone and start a conversation while interviewing Jackson-Lee.

PSYDOG…tell us more about what your military students say! That sounds encouraging! Oh, and don't worry about mispellings…or is it misspellings? I can't even spell mispell correctly! At least you're just tired…lol…

13. PSYDOG says:

Just got out of class about 7:30 pm Pacific time. Most of my students think this administration is a joke. They are young people who seem to be very informed. The students in the course that I teach are among the top 10% in the Army. They are concerned about the health care bill and the economy. Soldiers in general care about how the legislation takes care of them. They see funding issues first hand. They know that when funding is inadequate they have to do without. I have been in the military for 26 years and I long for a leader like Ronald Reagan. One that knows the value of having a strong military.