Hypocrisy, Hyperbole, and the Death of the Democratic Party

Speaker Pelosi, Rep. Hoyer speak out in today’s USA Today, describe opposition to health care reform “un-American”

“Health care is complex,” wrote House No. 1 and No. 2 Nancy Pelosi and Steny Hoyer in an op-ed piece in today’s USA Today. “It touches every American life. It drives our economy. People must be allowed to learn the facts.”

The people, Madame Speaker, already know the facts. Unlike the members of your Congress, the American people have read the bill, and know the ramifications. Unlike the members of your Congress, the American people understand the natural force which is the free market, and they know what will happen — that, while public and private options for health insurance may exist temporarily, private insurers will never be able to compete with a federal government that prints its own money and sets its own rules; that costs will go up for private insurance, and employers from coast to coast will soon find it more cost-effective to pay a fee and deny private insurance for employees, forcing them to enroll in the public option.

This unwanted, unnecessary reform will be the slow death of private sector health care. It will pull the plug on American ingenuity. It will systematically numb the quality of care. And it was designed this way. And we all know it.

The people, Nancy, have read your thousand-page health care bill. And because health care is so complex, because health care touches every American life, when their elected representatives reluctantly return to their district for recess and town hall meetings, the people have questions. About the facts. And when those questions are answered with the same collection of lies, misrepresentations and misdirection peddled each and every day from Capitol Hill–not to mention in your USA Today commentary–they understandably get louder. And when rooms are stocked with burly and intimidating union supporters, and when doors are closed to the public, they understandably get frustrated, and understandably get angry.

See, Congress hasn’t much had the American people in mind recently. You’ve thrown the nation into debt which we will not be capable of bearing for long. You’ve abandoned all promises of transparency and bipartisanship, taking steps to shut down, shut out and shut up any and all opposition and dissent from Republican Party officials and individual Americans alike, whether the issue be so-called economic stimulus, or the global transfer of wealth, destruction of the economy and death of American exceptionalism disguised not-so-cleverly as energy and environmental legislation. You don’t listen. So we shout. And you don’t like it.

That’s where you get the idea that we’re “[d]rowning out opposing views.” The problem, however, is that it is the American people who are gasping for breath, who are begging to be heard, who are clamoring for a chance to ensure that our children and our children’s children are not worn raw from the bondage of debt.

And you dare call us un-American?

It’s your behavior, Nancy Pelosi, that has been borderline treasonous. And it hasn’t just been with regard to health care. Time and time again, you’ve toed that line by placing party before country, whether it be by blocking the renewal of intelligence-gathering authority back in May and June 2008, or intentionally and needlessly causing strife in relations between the United States and Turkey (not to mention putting our troops in harm’s way) in 2006 by dredging up a decades-old congressional resolution to recognize as “genocide” the 1915 Turkish slaughter of Armenians at a time when we needed the Turks for supply line and overflight during the height of the Iraq war, or alienating our intelligence community by repeatedly accusing–without any evidence–that the CIA was systematically lying to Congress about detainee interrogation tactics. And the list goes on.

Last I checked, those honest, everyday concerned Americans gathering to speak with their representatives at community centers and libraries from east coast to west have not been actively working against the American economy, nor have they been actively placing American lives in jeopardy. No, Nancy, we’ll leave that to you.

You cite a few examples of how Americans, angry at a lack of representation bordering on spiteful, express that frustration. You mention a congressman “hanging in effigy” now, but were oddly silent when your own constituents burned former President George W. Bush in effigy, or attended movies which depicted his assassination.

You mention an “ugly campaign” now, but apparently had your eyes closed for the previous eight years. Whatever happened to the “dissent is patriotic” bumper stickers which adorned so many cars in your home district, Madame Speaker? Or did you forget that, in the years of sitting on your high horse in Washington, D.C., you actually have constituents to represent?

The audacity of your faux outrage, unfathomably inappropriate after you just last week accused ordinary citizens of being Nazi sympathizers, is surpassed only by your ignorance as to the type of government over which you hold court. “The dialogue between elected representatives and constituents is at the heart of our democracy,” you and Rep. Hoyer write. The problem, Madame speaker, is that we don’t live in a democracy, but rather a constitutional representative republic. You work for us, not the other way around. Yet you denounce our efforts to merely have our voices and opinions heard, nonetheless heeded, in Washington as “un-American.” This, from the woman who advocates the return of the Fairness Doctrine. This, from the woman who shuts out her Republican counterparts while promising compromise. Your hypocrisy is off the charts, even by political standards.

Oddly enough, I take pleasure in it. Every time you open your taut mouth, every time you mention another piece of legislation or argue in favor of one already in the works, you add another nail in the coffin holding your precious Democratic Party. Slowly but surely, your party is being exposed for what it is, and Americans everywhere are waking up to realize that you and your flunkies have never, ever had the health, well-being, safety, security or prosperity of America or Americans at heart — only your agenda, your thirst for power in perpetuity. The more you reach, the more we push back. And now, desperate, you seek to muzzle opposition and dissent, simultaneously reframing the argument so as to suggest that it is instead us Americans who are somehow trying to silence you, the one with the biggest megaphone.

So keep talking, Speaker Pelosi. Keep attacking everyday Americans. Keep accusing us of being un-American. Keep making up lies about the people. Keep trying to undermine our economy, our security, our military. Keep ignoring our Constitution. Your particular congressional seat is safe, I assure you, but I will delight in your political misery as you preside over a shrinking minority in years to come.

If you want facts to prevail, consider the truth: your leadership will contribute to the demise of your party. Keep it up.

Comments

1. Celia in TX says:

Standing up and clapping at 1 a.m., Jeff. Fabulous article!!

Madame Speaker must be too busy nazi hunting to listen.

3. diggerjohn111 says:

THANK YOU! But she won't read it. Anyone who isn't a mindless Obamazombie is UnAmerican to her.

4. Mr. Nourse says:

> Nancy Pelosi, borderline treasonous.

No Nancy Pelosi is the poster child for treasonous behavior.

We will vote the treasonous politicians out in 2010 & 2012. I only hope they do not do any lasting damage before we take out the trash.

P.S. Please report this post, "this unamerican activity", to heir Führer aka Dear Leader.

I don't suppose most of the fools in Washington even know that this country was born in rebellion and that real Americans will always fight for liberty.

5. Linda says:

Jeff, I agree with Celia. This is an incredible article. I might not be standing up clapping, but if you could hear my comments as I read every word, you would hear my unfettered agreement and approval. I'd find some other places in which to post this article. Or might I suggest to the other readers that they get this article out there. I know I am certainly going to advise my reader list of it. It deserves distribution. After the inane email argument I had with my liberal [lawyer] brother who thinks it's great that BHO "at least … doing it by throwing cold water in our faces and making us confront the reality" [huh?] it's refreshing to hear a member of the bar speak with intelligence and rationale.

Thank you, Jeff. It's great to have you home.

I agree too. Lets get this article viral. Lets email it to everyone we know. I mean, the talk shows today (Rush, Hannitey, Beck) are going to talk about the usatoday article and their going to want to read something. Lets make sure they read this article.

7. JWBlack says:

Wow, great column!!!!!

This is one of your best! It is too bad that the ones that count, the ones you speak of will not read this.

MCPO USN (ret)

9. Courtney says:

Hear, Hear!!!

Motivating and powerful article – akin to famous historical speeches – I'm thinking Patrick Henry….

Thanks Jeff – you're expressing what we're all feeling.

10. Irritated says:

What a great article to start my morning. Thank you!

This is EXCELLENT!!! Am I allowed to post your articles on facebook?

While you correctly describe today's Democratic Party, you fail to understand their calculated treachery. They have deduced that with Acorn being funded by Soris and taxpayer dollars, they can deny the ballot box option to the American people. The American public will be rendered impotent to do anything about it. As the imposter has arrogantly stated: "Just sit down, shut up and get used to it"!!!

13. Laurie says:

Jeff….outstanding article!!! I could not agree more ….glad you are back!!!

"Unlike the members of your Congress, the American people have read the bill, and know the ramifications."

"The people, Nancy, have read your thousand-page health care bill."

I'd bet just about anything that the vast, vast majority of Americans have not, in fact, read the bill; to claim otherwise is just ridiculous. And to be clear, I apply this statement equally to both those who support the bill and those who do not. Of the precious few private citizens who are engaged in the debate over this bill at all, most just limit themselves to recycling talking points that they've heard from political commentators or read online. I doubt 10% of them have sat down and attempted to read the actual legislation in question.

Jeff, from my heart, thank you. Thank you for speaking for everyday-Americans who are spinning in frustration. Thank you for giving us a voice!

A great and very inspiring article, Jeff. The problem is, however, that at this point I have all the inspiration I need. The question du jour is "what to do", not "why", and I don't believe that 2010 election is the answer.

First, the election will be undoubtedly rigged. Those who have not lived outside the USA, missed the recent electoral farce in Iran and forgot the famous "vote early and vote often" by Al Capone cannot imagine the possibilities incumbents have to set the elections up.

Second, many of the Republican challenges will be sorely outfinanced and outlawyered by their Democratic opponents. Al Franken's vile presence in the Senate is a proof what court domination and cold cash can achieve.

Third, Democrats are deeply entrenched in many urban and coastal districts. No matter how much they screw up, they are going to keep their seats on the power of Kool-Aid alone.

Fourth, billions of the "stimulus" money will be injected to create a temporary feeling of "recovery" right before the election time. For those who suddenly find work or get a new stream of orders, spite and anger will quickly turn to gratitude.

Fifth, Obama's ideas are not as unpopular as we love to believe. The amount of people, both poor and rich, who have direct financial interest in his "reforms" is significant, and his over-the-50% approval rating do not come from outer space.

And last but not least, even if the midterm election proves to be a victory, the burden of the damage to be inflicted until the voting booths open will eventually bring the country to its knees. Bankers will have easy time creating another crisis (for which Republican Congress will be conveniently blamed), ushering in another term for Obama.

So we must act, and act quickly. To think that the next crop of Congressmen and Senators – assuming we are even allowed to elect them – will be any better than the bunch we are now stuck with is naivete that we cannot afford. The election mechanism must be changed, and soon, before we end up like Soviet Union that, surprisingly, also had free elections and secret ballots.

Okay, Jeff, I'm voting for you president 2012. Better seriously contemplate running!

Jeff, incredible article! Thank you for the time you took in writing this. Rix, your points are well taken too.

19. goddessdivine says:

Bravo Jeff. This needs to be faxed to Madame Speaker. Apparently dissent is only patriotic and American if you are a liberal. Otherwise, you must shut up and get out of the way. Unbelievable.

20. TOO MAD TO WRITE ELOQUENCE says:

Doesn't she and hubby own Czar Kissed tuna? Buy your own danged G5's scar face.

21. RAINMAN says:

It's a good thing I am not an officer in the military, because I am somewhat self-diagnosed OCD and a perfectionist, and my oath TO THE CONSTITUTION would really be messing with my mind right now.

22. SMOOTH AS BABYS BOTTOM says:

"taut mouth"….. that alone was worth reading the article. Any scientista in here?, how much 'potential energy' is stored up in those tucks?

23. Anna Leigh says:

"It's your behavior, Nancy Pelosi, that has been borderline treasonous"

I've never been able to stand that (censored) but I'm becoming filled with full blown hatred, which really disturbs me. She undoubtedly has delusions of grandeur.

Interestingly, the heading of this op-ed reads, un-American attacks can't derail health care debate – what I'd like to know, are we living under a dictatorship, or what? The arrogance is amazing, absolutely amazing. Polls show the majority of Americans are really, really unhappy about this and if I were Pelosi, I'd be a little more careful with my declarations.

My senator used the word "un-American," just the other day, to describe the 'anti-health care with government control' folks – now it's confirmed: talking points from the democrats. That insult to the citizenry was later clarified with the statement “that some of those protesters are disrespectful” . . . no apology, mind you. It's time to get rid of everyone who acts like a conservative at home but morphs into a mad radical upon arrival in D.C. I'm in a red state and I predict those words will come back to haunt. I smell blood in the water . . .

Our current government is sinking this country into a third world banana republic as fast as it can. They are traitors to the American dream. I think their agenda is to intentionally drain the wealth of this country. I just wonder if all of them are in on the 'dirty little secret' or are some of them just stupid, like they believe we are?

It's time to take back America. I propose an amendment taking the vote from all individuals who do not contribute in any manner to society. Aren't we supposed to not have taxation without representation? When you get a bunch of people dragging down the system and voting for welfare, it's time to take the country back! Those who really need help and are incapable of helping themselves would receive all the help they need from individuals, churches and charitable groups. Those unwilling to work would no longer get to sit around while we support them.

24. Reaganite Republican says:

These lefty fascists like Pelosi would be really quite funny… if WE weren't the ones they were planning to control, that is.

Now the DNC is deploying AFL-CIO palookas while at the same time hypocritically dismissing Obamacare opponents as paid shills -even running TV ads to slander them- and delirious SanFranNan is seeing imaginary Swastikas.

This should make clear to anyone just what these power-drunk elitists think of your opinion.

Note that whenever Obama, Emanuel, or Gibbs are asked about why polls show SO many people oppose their misguided Cap-n-Trade and Obamacare proposals, they ALWAYS segue-right-into “we need to educate the public…”.

LOL- save your breath… Constitutionally-aware American patriots don’t take lectures from Marxists.

> It's time to take back America. I propose an amendment taking the
    > vote from all individuals who do not contribute in any manner to
    > society. Aren't we supposed to not have taxation without
    > representation?

I couldn't agree more. The Founding Fathers went to war with the slogan of "No taxation without representation" – ours must be

NO REPRESENTATINO WITHOUT TAXATION!

Anonymous at 9:27 a.m.–

Go tell your supervisor that the percentage of us who have read the healthcare bill might NOT be as great as Jeff said, but we HAVE been doing some reading.

I have mentioned Global Research before. Do you want to know what the U.S. government is up to?

(It's another "read and weep.")

Anonymous–tell your socialists to keep pushing us, okay? When a state secedes from the Union, and the US Military or Obama's Brown Shirts come to mow that state down, the rest of Obama's "56 states" will be watching.

And, if he wants us to trust us enough to support his deathcare bill, tell him to show us proof of his authority to sign the damned thing! He's already said that he would stand with the Muslims. Is there a problem with his upholding the U.S. Constitution?

27. STOOL SAMPLE OF A BILL says:

It looks like dog poop….
    It smells like dog poop…
    but I'll be damned if I am gonna go all buffet on it

The few pieces of corn in it that I have read are enough to turn me off to it.

28. Lilly says:

Bravo Jeff & Glad you are back! I honestly hope that you do mail/email these types of post to who they are meant for with cc's to your own representatives and the President.

29. NOT HOLDING MY BREATH says:

I'll read the bill right after I have read his birth certificate.

30. GO BACK TO YOUR SOAPS says:

I agree Rix and Anna Leigh; no 1040 showing taxes paid, you don't get in the booth to pull the lever.

Very well said – thank you!

But why do you say that Pelosi's " (Your) particular congressional seat is safe,…" ? I believe she is up for re-election in 2010, and I am sure she'll go gone!!!

32. CA HA HA HA says:

Anonymous at 2:00
    You obviously don't know California.
    She's a lifer. She'll be in office till the cows come home.

33. Samuel Fain says:

Excellent article, Jeff!

The question is, do normal people (as opposed to us, who read blogs like this and generally search out information ignored by the MSM) see this amazing hypocrisy? And if they do, will it influence them in the voting booth 1.25 years from now?

34. sharon says:

They are just a tad ticked off because we did not have the decency to sit idly by while they shoved yet another massive unnecessary bill through congress..

Anon at 9:27 am…
    Take your self-righteousness somewhere else, thank you.

36. Bobby K. says:

All the Dems want is fro us to bend over and take it and shut the hell up.

I guess I can be added to the ranks of the UnAmerican

37. SMUG THUG says:

Anonymous at 11:17
    That was our dear leader on his blackberry

verification word: ecollout
    The latest lower GI cleanser

38. GOTCHA says:

Bobby,

I'll bend over, but before I do I'm having 25 volcano tacos at Taco Bell.

I understand that under the New
    Health Bill that I will have to
    show proof of insurance with my
    1040 Tax Return when I mail it to
    the IRS.
    Question: Is there a phone number
    that I can call to turn in my neighbors that don't have health insurance or do I simply tell my
    Local Block Commander ?