More Words From Obama on Abortion and the Healthcare Agenda

Sen. Barack Obama answers questions at a July 17, 2007 Planned Parenthood event.

On July 17, 2007, then Sen. Barack Obama told supporters at a Planned Parenthood event that women’s reproductive services–read: abortion–would be at the center of his healthcare agenda.

Two years later, on July 21, 2009, Obama told CBS Evening News anchor Katie Couric that abortion was not a focus of his healthcare plan.

“I’m pro-choice, but I think we also have the tradition in this town, historically, of not financing abortions as part of government-funded health care,” he said, adding: “My main focus is making sure that people have options of high quality care at the lowest possible price.”

Two days ago, however, the Associated Press reported that the government-sponsored insurance plan–Barack Obama’s “Public Option”–would indeed provide coverage for abortions. And, as taxpayers will inevitably foot the bill for government-provided healthcare (which will inevitably push private insurance out of the marketplace), that means that taxpayers will indeed be funding abortions here in the United States of America.

So much for that “tradition in this town.”

Comments

I'm praying that the government-run healthcare simply will not pass. They will take a mile if given an inch.

Can someone explain to me why the Democrats have not so much as peeped about all the Czars in place who are unconstitutionally taking authority away from the Democratic-controlled Congress?

Uh-oh! If Obama/Soetoro declares Martial Law, Congress will have no say-so for six months!

2. QUELL EM YOURSELF BARRY says:

Semper Fi, martial law will not fly.

"The best place in battle is behind a platoon of Marines."

Saw that bumper sticker at a Beiruit Memorial service in NC. I photographed it and put it up on the wall at the newspaper office.

4. Linda says:

Czars? What czars?? Surely you jest, Gail.

Jeff, Linda's being funny, right?

6. goddessdivine says:

FYI: I'm reporting you to flag@whitehouse.gov. This sounds 'fishy'….. ;-)

Heaven help us if this healthcare thing actually passes.

7. WE ALL BE FUNNY says:

Jeff, Gails being funny about Linda being funny, right? We all need to reattend sarcasm school. :D

8. Michele says:

I just called my congressman's (Bart Gordon)office again, to see if he has scheduled any town hall meetings yet. Finally they said he had 3 scheduled and they will be posted on his website tomorrow so I hung up. Then it hit me, I wonder if the SEIU or ACORN was going to be there? So I called back and the lady that answered this time was not very friendly. Anyway, I asked her if the
    SEIU or ACORN was going to be there. She said she didn't know and I said the SEIU and ACORN are the one's making things worse and she said well you need to take that up w/ the congressman at the town hall. I asked her why are you guys doing this to American's? Then I said that they probably will not let us in.
    How do they think this is ok? Have the staff members not seen the videos of Obama saying that this will lead to single payer like he wants. How blind can one person be? Is the staff also going to keep the same insurance they have no matter what? Is that why they are not worried?

9. TJ says:

Totally off topic, but I have this site bookmarked and read it several times a day. Today, when I clicked on that bookmark, I got a "We're sorry but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.
    See Google Help for more information.

However, when I did a search through Yahoo, I was able to get in.

Any idea what's up with that?

Call me paranoid, but whenever I have trouble getting into the site, I worry that hacker's have attacked it.

10. Michele says:

I know this is off topic but would you tell me how SEIU or ACORN has any authority over anybody? Do they have the right to act like policemen? Maybe would should all join the union and arrest or beat up one another and it will all be legal.

It baffles me that the taxpayers will be funding abortions and that doctors that will not perform abortions will be fired. How do these idiots not get what is going on? They do not care who or what is sacrificed just as long as they get what they want for free. Obama has torn are great country into pieces.

Don't confuse me. I have enough trouble sorting things out when they aren't funny!

12. NATIONWIDE GANG WAR says:

So, are we the crypts, and the libs are the bloods, or is it the other way around? What color should we be wearing? This is ridiculous.

13. MARTIALMELLOW LAW says:

Scenario: martial law declared

. Protest takes place in the square
    . GI Joe martial man sees his local walmart greeter being rowdy
    . He shoots, wacks or smiles?

My guess he smiles and high5's her

14. LOVE MY SQUARE PANTS says:

The thoughts of SpongeBob now residing on the White House server makes me smile.

I am reading that the White House may be in some trouble over their "fishy" email collection…ILLEGAL???
    Read about it on the Drudge Report.

16. MOB NAMES NEEDED says:

Hannity says our homework assignment over the weekend is to come up with our mob 'handle'. I am leaning towards Sam the Shanker.

17. SHILOH says:

Its feeling like Blue v Gray all over again.

18. goddessdivine says:

TJ–so glad you mentioned that, because I too had trouble….but with all blogs, including my own. I've finally been able to get in. (For now.) So now I think it was more of a google problems, rather than my internet service.

As a very non-religious person, I see absolutely no problem with funding late-term abortions. I could even name a few population sectors for whom I'd gladly implement a mandatory one. By the way, is 20 year old considered a "late term"?

It's fixing to get worse than blue and grey. It's gonna get black and blue.

Am researching what has been done to shred the Constitution. It will make you CRY!

Read and weep:

EVERYTHING Rix has told us is TRUE.

From the link:

A clue as to where Harman's commission might be aiming is the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act, a law that labels those who "engage in sit-ins, civil disobedience, trespass, or any other crime in the name of animal rights" as terrorists. Other groups in the crosshairs could be anti-abortion protesters, anti-tax agitators, immigration activists, environmentalists, peace demonstrators, Second Amendment rights supporters…the list goes on and on. According to author Naomi Wolf, the National Counterterrorism Center holds the names of roughly 775,000 "terror suspects" with the number increasing by 20,000 per month. [Wonder if flag@whitehouse.gov emails will be added? - Gail]

What could the government be contemplating that leads it to make contingency plans to detain without recourse millions of its own citizens?

The Constitution does not allow the executive to have unchecked power under any circumstances. The people must not allow the president to use the war on terrorism to rule by fear instead of by law.

22. Michele says:

Gail B listed a website on her blog at 5:30pm talking about detention camps in the US. Do you think this is where we are headed? Do you think Obama will do away w/ the 2010 election and that's why the Democrats are not too worried about listening to us?

Thanks in advance for your input,
    Michele

> Read and weep:
    > http://www.texemarrs.com/052008/detention_camps_are_real.htm
    > EVERYTHING Rix has told us is TRUE

And apparently, I haven't even told the whole truth. The link below is 100% authentic and its content is so ominous that I strongly suggest – Jeff's guidelines be damned – to take up arms at this point.

To my best knowledge, National Guard is not employed in correction facilities. That leaves no place for any other explanation: yes, they started hiring concentration camp guards!

Asked at what point a baby gets “human rights,” Obama, who strongly supports abortion rights, said: “… whether you’re looking at it from a theological perspective or a scientific perspective, answering that question with specificity … is above my pay grade.”

IMHO – Anyone who has ever relied on a condom, knows exactly when life begins!

25. whats_up says:

26. Courtney says:

On the abortion issue, I'm pro-choice (not a supporter of late-term, but that's a whole other discussion). However I don't think anything should be determined by the Federal Govt. It should be up to the States themselves. That's why it wouldn't bother me if Roe v. Wade were overturned. There would be States in which that particular procedure would be available and safe. If the individuals involved wish to pursue that option, they could.

Ultimately, it should be decided on a State level. Point blank.

Rix: you can't be serious about your abortion comments, can you?

Regarding the camps, I am telling you all, I think the first thing they would be used for is to round up any who will not take the mandatory swine flu shot, which is coming, people!

DON'T TAKE THIS SHOT, FRIENDS!!! Do research…go to infowars…there are lots of articles regarding this with very thorough, but shocking info on the production of this vaccine, which is being tested on people as we speak!

I will probably be one of the first in the camps, I guess!

Lisa in TX

whats_up said…

"As usual Rix is wrong. National Guard troops have been used for overseas correctional facilities that house prisoners from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Remember the only officer that was reprimanded in the Abu Garab (sp) mess was a National Guard Colonel I believe."

What's Up, AS USUAL, RIX IS NOT WRONG. A former NG recruiter called a buddy of his who IS a recruiter and asked him about the classification and the job slot. The recruiter had no clue about it.

Now, if they've been doing this for years, wouldn't they have used an old classification, rather than a new one? They open the slots according to NEED.

You owe Rix an apology.

BTW, I learned from the The Roth Show last night that Obama/Soetoro has a full-time, 24/7 computer operation going on, to monitor sites such as this one and other right wing sites. People like you also, we were told, make comments to discredit what we say.

Are you the one who disrupted Twitter, this site, and people's computers in the last few days?

29. Linda says:

Yes, Gail. I was being funny (or at least trying to).

30. Anna Leigh says:

Any woman carrying a child that is deemed to have a birth defect will be ordered to have an abortion -possible or unlikely? I wouldn't hedge my bets.

verification: sadshou – yep we are seeing a really "sad shou" right before our very own eyes.

whats_up:
    > As usual Rix is wrong. National Guard troops have been used for
    > overseas correctional facilities that house prisoners from the wars
    > in Afghanistan and Iraq. Remember the only officer that was
    > reprimanded in the Abu Garab (sp) mess was a National Guard Colonel I
    > believe.

That would be a case in which I'd greatly prefer to be wrong. Unfortunately, even though National Guard does indeed serve in Iraqi military jails (I did not think of that), your explanation is unlikely to hold water. People who looked online for a job know that ads for positions overseas inevitably contain keywords like "travel", "culture" or "language". Hence, these positions are likely offered inside USA. Also, as correctly noted above by Gail, they are *new* positions, and we're not exactly expanding our presence in Iraq.

Gail:
    > BTW, I learned from the The Roth Show last night that Obama/Soetoro
    > has a full-time, 24/7 computer operation going on, to monitor
    > sites such as this one and other right wing sites. People like you
    > also, we were told, make comments to discredit what we say.

I was well aware that Democrats use forum trolls to throw general disarray and occasional insults and provocations, but I certainly didn't know it's organized from that high above. Politics is indeed like a cesspool: the largest chunks rise to the top. And, of course, please accept my thanks for referring me to the Roth Show – I was looking out to expand my reader list.

Lisa:
    > Rix: you can't be serious about your abortion comments, can you?

Sorry, I actually can. As an atheist, I'm a law abiding citizen that won't go on a killing spree, but I place no special value on human life outside the costs involved, and my position on many socially-charged issues is not exactly conservative.

Oh, and just to clarify my take on abortions issue:

1) For a change, I agree with the Squatter-in-Chief that the issue of new life creation is above my pay grade. My personal, intuitive take on it says that the heartbeat is the criterion.

2) I absolutely agree with Claudia that the issue must be placed back in hands of the individual states. The main implication of Roe vs Wade is that federal court is as prone to power grabs as federal Congress.

3) I strongly abhor the idea of forcing people who morally oppose abortions to pay for them. That's exactly the form of tyranny that Thomas Jefferson warned us about.

Linda–

LOL! My comment was for Jeff's enjoyment. A while back, someone made a sarcastic comment that I took as serious and responded to it like a Jack-in-the-Box. Jeff emailed me to let me know it was just sarcasm. He was watching my back.

I don't mind laughing at myself in the least. I mean, I could cry instead, but laughing is more fun!

This just came out–an article by Investors Business Daily, "How House Bill Runs Over Grandma" and discussed in an email from Human Events:

From the sources:
    Grandmas and unborn babies face EXTERMINATION by Obama's "Health" care plan.

1) EUTHANASIA is the first result of Obama's socialist government "health" care plan.

2) Tax-payer funded ABORTION on demand is another guaranteed result.

3) Obama will REMOVE Christian prayers and symbols from Government-run hospitals

4) Homosexuals free $50,000 tax-funded sex-change surgery not excluded by Democrats.

A DETAILED ANALYSIS OF THE 1000 PAGE HEALTH CARE PLAN BY MAT STAVER, DEAN OF LIBERTY UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW is under the article, which is written by Chaplain Gordon James Klingenschmitt.

(I think I've given all the right folks credit appropriately! If not, PLEASE don't hurt me badly enough to need MEDICAL ATTENTION!)

35. Michele says:

Would you explain how pharmaceuticals will benefit by giving $150,000,000 to the Obama administration to advertise for Obamacare? And how do the insurance companies benefit from backing Obamacare? I've called my ins. co. 2x's and asked them if they were concerned about Universal healthcare and they act offended and I also asked if they are getting any calls from concerned policyholders and the lady told me I was her 1st and she was very rude to me (and this was just last week). So I went on their website and sure enough they back the Obama administration. I'm worried about what game these people are playing w/ our lives. This seems like a horror movie w/ a bad ending.

Thanks,
    Michele

36. suek says:

As if all that wasn't bad enough:

HC Bill – Govt will have real-time access to individs finances & a National ID Healthcard will be issued!”

private bank account access

HC Bill lines 21-24 Govt will have direct access 2 your banks accts for elective funds transfer”

The goal here is that if you have any funds at your disposal, and the government pays for your health care, they can pay themselves back. At present, if you have Medicaid (I don't know about Medicare), have extensive health expensives, you have to give them your financial info, and they have first claim on your estate if you die.

37. FETUSES ARE MIRACLES says:

Rix,

I admire your three points.
    Thank you for clarifying your stance on it.

OMG, that was so funny that I just *had* to share it with you.

I just received a robocall from Bill Pascrell, one slick Democratic weasel of a Congressman from NJ. Incurably curious, I located his webpage to check the hot issues before gracing his Town Hall meeting with my presence.

What I saw there sent me into a minute-long laughing fit. Apparently, Rep. Pascrell is a part of so-called Congressional Brain Injury Task Force! Gosh, my thought was, that's probably the most successful inititative this Congress ever had…