Assuring Specter’s Political Demise as Early as Possible

Assigned Reading: It’s [Officially] On: Sestak vs. Specter
(FROM: The Philadelphia Inquirer)

On July 4th, as I sat alongside West Chester Pike watching a parade with my family, I had the chance to shake the hand of my congressman, Admiral Joe Sestak, as he pressed the flesh with his constituents. In the few seconds I had, I told him that even though I am a conservative, I will support him in his primary fight against Arlen Specter.

He looked a bit perplexed. He shouldn’t be.

I admire people who have principles, regardless of whether I agree with them. It takes more courage to stand by your values, whatever they may be, than to rubberize your spinal column and twist back and forth in the political wind. Sestak is way left-of-center, I can assure you. But at least I know where he stands, and at least he stands there for what he feels is the benefit of the United States of America, rather than simply and solely for his own political future.

Sure, he’s susceptible as any to the trappings of power. But I’ve had enough of Arlen Specter, as I’ve mentioned on several different occasions here at America’s Right. I will indeed support Sestak in the primary fight, but will support Pat Toomey or whomever is running against him from the other side in November.

Now, all that being said, I found this article while searching for any news of a local town hall meeting to attend. Unfortunately, it seemed to occur while I was overseas. Perhaps there will be another — I’d like to speak with my congressman, given the chance. I may admire that he has principles, but that doesn’t mean I have to like them.

Comments

1. ANYBODY ELSE SEE THE IRONY? says:

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE (Reuters) – White House spokesman Robert Gibbs on Wednesday said he had misspoken in calling Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Iran's elected leader and that Washington will let the Iranian people decide whether Iran's election was fair.

"Let me correct a little bit of what I said yesterday. I denoted that Mr. Ahmadinejad was the elected leader of Iran. I would say that's not for me to pass judgment on," Gibbs told reporters aboard Air Force One.

"He's been inaugurated. That's a fact. Whether any election was fair, obviously the Iranian people still have questions about that, and we'll let them decide about that."

FOUND the link:
    Your cursor will drop the windows as it floats over them.

Everybody needs to check it out!

3. michele says:

This is off topic but maybe you can help me or can direct me to a website that can. There's going to be a national tea party in Washington DC on 9/12/09, do you know if there will be any chartered buses from any of the states going there? I've tried to find something on google, but had no luck. I'm from TN and would like to go.

Thanks,
    Michele

Jeff:

First, you are following a curious pattern here – the one I believe to be immoral, though often undeniably effective. What you call for reminds me of the trick that Democrats pulled on Republicans in 2008. They used open primaries to pole-vault less-than-exciting John McCain into lead, and then summarily proceeded to mop the floor with him in general elections.

And second, I do not believe that the Old Sphincter is the epitome of all evil. Yes, he is a poster boy for Senate term limits. Yes, he denied the GOP leadership, common sense and constitutional principles by voting for ARRA insanity. Still, I believe that he nothing but a good wind vane – and blaming wind vane for the wrong wind direction is, ahem, unwise.

My apology for posting not on the subject of the publicatio, but I just can't help it…
    Answering to a journalist's question about town hall meetings, she said that town hallers had SWASTIKAS (!!!)

[url=http://www.radikal.ru][img]http://s50.radikal.ru/i130/0908/7b/d89501c6293b.jpg[/img][/url]

Gail, I found this on the wanttoknow site you posted earlier

Chicago Sun-Times
    4-5-2004

Obama says, on how a particular verse from the Gospel of John, where Jesus says, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me," is heard. "Alongside my own deep personal faith, I am a follower, as well, of our civic religion," he says. "I am a big believer in the separation of church and state. I am a big believer in our constitutional structure."

How are we supposed to believe ANYTHING that comes out of this man's mouth?

Sally

a good decision.
    many times we cant get 100% of what we want but being responsible to weigh both sides and choose the best side is always the right thing to do.

in this case specter made the choice ever so simple. that a career politician actually verbalized that he is switching merely to stay in office leaves me at a loss to describe the arrogance of it all.

specter could have retired gracefully. instead he stains his legacy with what is sure to be a disgraceful exit.

Michele,

I believe you can go to resistnet.com and find out what groups (from your state, and others) will be attending the marches.

Your resistnet.com state sponsor should know of transportation plans as well. Darla D. is the national coordinator. She should be able to able you. http://www.resistnet.com/profile/DDawald

10. Still a Patriot says:

Hi Jeff -
    I feel the same way about my Senator, Russ Feingold. I don't always agree with him, but he works very hard for the veterans, & he stays connected to his constituents. He addresses my concerns when I contact him, unlike Kohl & Baldwin who send out the canned responses every time.
    Feingold has never taken a pay raise in his entire term in the Senate – very unusual & admirable.

Susan