Another Obama Reversal

There have been plenty of Obama reversals since Inauguration Day. Sometimes I wonder if Candidate Obama and Barack Obama would recognize each other. Then I remember that Obama has always been entirely consistent on one thing: political expediency. So yeah, I guess some things never change.

There have been plenty of reversals on the War on Terror. Domestic wiretapping is bad and must be stopped. Oh wait, never mind, we’ll keep it around. Military tribunals are bad. Except that now they are good. And so on.

Then there’s been the mysterious 180 on gay rights, although in some ways that one was less mysterious. Candidate and President Obama have both been on every side of that issue.

Most recently the well-regarded legal blog The Volokh Conspiracy has a pithy summary of yet another one we can add to the list:

Candidate Obama, June 2008, in front of AIPAC: “And Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel, and it must remain undivided.” President Obama, July 2009: “The United States views East Jerusalem as no different than an illegal West Bank outpost with regard to its demand for a freeze on settlement construction.”

Of all the Jewish Americans that I know, almost all of them did not vote for President Obama. But, according to exit polling, 77% of Jews in this nation did vote for him despite ample evidence of Obama’s antipathy towards the nation of Israel. I suppose on the one hand it’s not necessarily valid to connect the interests of Jewish Americans with the nation of Israel, but on the other hand I have a feeling that American Jews will soon find themselves added to the long list of erstwhile Obama supporters who find themselves with little but disappointment and broken promises in return for their support.

Comments

Obama/Soetoro has said and promised so many things and reversed his position that now he's just so much noise. I haven't believed anything he said since I realized during the campaign that he sounds like a high school cheerleader, not a presidential candidate.

And now he doesn't even sound like an American, natural-born (ha!) or not.

Please do not confuse suburban and urban Jews (rural variety, while quite numerous in Israel, is virtually unheard of in the USA).

The former group – including yours humbly – are practically indistinguishable from typical suburban population, being professional, gainfully employed people who religiously pay their taxes and rightfully hate those striving to raise them.

Urban Jews, however, are a wholly different type. In a sense, this group fell victim to the success of their ancestors whose minds, sharpened by centuries of Torah studies that they abandoned, availed them access to commanding positions in banking, politics, jurisprudence, media and art. The modern generation, unfortunately, shows a significant gap between exalted social position and meager intellectual prowess; this gap, full of mental aberrations such as notorious "white guilt" and irrational disdain for all things traditional, is a rich field for many a shrink.

Do not underestimate this group, though. It might have been urban lumpen who overthrew the Russian regime in 1917 but it were Jews who incited, armed and guided them. History, as we all know, loves to repeat itself.

My Jew friends who live in my community (suburb)all were horrified that Obama became President.None of them voted for him. How do I know, My Jew customers ( I have a business in NY) ALL voted for Obama. "Obama, Obama, Obama" is all I would hear out of their mouths during the election. They don't bring Obama much lately.

4. La Muse Poetique says:

I grew up in a town that was 60 percent Jewish. Jeff probably knows it since it's the Main Line which borders Philly.

What I've seen is that many American Jews are kind of apathetic to the whole Israel situation, or their staggering liberal mentality outweighs their support of Israel.

So I don't know how much it would affect my neighborhood.

5. Lynn L. says:

A public Townhall meeting with Congressman Mike Castle erupted when a woman in the audience raised the question of whether Pres. Obama is actually a citizen, and asked why he doesn't produce a REAL birth certificate:

Rix and Jeff, I'd surely vote for that ticket!

And, Robert, you'd be fine as Press Secretary! Or better yet, Speaker of the House! Or whatever you want!

Rix, I wish you were a natural-born citizen!

Lynn,

that is very inspiring. This needs to happen at ANY AND ALL townhall meetings from now on. And not just for the BC but for college records as well. This Kenyan is a fraud.

> Rix, I wish you were a natural-born citizen!

I could still run as Jeff's VP. :)

10. goddessdivine says:

Funny how the media doesn't cover his chameleon behavior. Oh that's right, they're in bed with him.

11. A COLB FOR RIX says:

I can photoshop Rix a COLB. That seems to be all you need.