Worse than Appeasement

You’d think that more than six decades after Neville Chamberlain infamously declared that appeasing Hitler would mean “peace for our time” the British would have learned a little something about the practice of appeasement.

Apparently they have.

They’ve learned how to make it worse.

Evan Maloney of Brain Terminal describes an attempt by the British government to limit charges brought against radical Islamic extremists. They don’t mind enforcing a ban on Michael Savage – he is not allowed to enter the country – because of allegedly inflammatory rhetoric on his part, but they want to prevent charges from being brought against Islamic extremists for crimes such as “inciting hatred” or “viewing extremist material”.

They know Michael Savage and his listeners aren’t actually going to do anything violent, so they have no problems clamping down. But since radical extremists occasionally blow up subways and buses in England they get preferential treatment. They are rewarding the behavior that they claim to want to prevent. This is flagrant appeasement.

What makes this new appeasement even worse than the old is that the selectively-applied charges – “viewing extremist material” and so on – are thought-crimes. It’s not a good idea to have laws like this at all. If you’re going to have them, at least don’t compound the problem by failing to apply them to the very people that are actually inciting real-world, lethal mayhem.

Comments

1. HOW DO YOU SPELL STUPID? says:

Britain = C R A Z Y

My firm belief is that the Constitution's limitation on cruel and unusual punishment should not apply to people who see life sentence as a combination of public tribune and vacation resort at taxpayer's expense and a death row as a sort of promotion. Brits, for example, sewed Arab terrorists in pigskins before execution. As for me, public executions went out of fashion way too soon.

I'd say it compares to "no spanking" and the problems with have with ADHD.

Have you seen the SouthPark episode in regards to a cure for ADHD?

If it weren't so true, it'd be funny!

4. Bodenzee says:

If this nation is ever presented again with an opportunity to aid another we must just say no.

History has shown that the protected and saved are not grateful. Let them go, they aren't worth the effort.

I think Lord Chamberlain's exact phrase was "Peace in our time," not "Peace for our time."

Sorry. . . history buff here. 'Course, I could be wrong.

JV

Quote Of The Year:

"On a more serious front, I sincerely hope that when the president goes in for his annual check-up, the doctors at Bethesda will do a brain scan. Surely something must be terribly wrong with a man who seems to be far more concerned with a Jew building a house in Israel than with Muslims building a nuclear bomb in Iran."

— Columnist Burt Prelutsky

"Appeasement is feeding the dragon hoping he will eat you last." — Winston Churchill

8. LAME *UCK PRESIDENT says:

Lookin at his pics lately, it's "A PIECE just in time"

9. I WANT TO KEEP MY OWN INSURANCE says:

What will happen to my children when they are too old to stay on our family plan? Does that mean that they will be forced into universal health care? I am aware that they are still trying to get rid of private insurance but I am still worried about my children. Why does Obama hate us so?