The Palmetto State Powerhouse Strikes Again

Assigned Reading: DeMint Wins Vote For Border Fence!
(FROM: Townhall)

Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., won a 54-44 vote to require double-layer fences along 700 miles of the border with Mexico rather than vehicle barriers and high-tech equipment.

DeMint said the U.S.-Mexico border “has become a battleground” as drug and weapons traffickers, along with illegal immigrants, move too freely. He said the department is spending too much on “virtual” fencing such as motion detectors. Those barriers, he said, don’t work as well as a real fence designed to block people crossing the border on foot.

Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, countered that the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency was the best judge of fencing for various parts of the border. He said some stretches of physical fencing can cost up to $5 million per mile.

DeMint’s amendment is likely to be dropped during House-Senate talks on a compromise version of the bill.

I know why Republicans are fighting each other with regard to the border fence. They’ve bought into the myth, see, that backing the enforcement of our current immigration laws and actually working to secure our nation’s borders will somehow mean the loss of the Hispanic vote and thus the destruction of the Republican Party.

It’s a lie, a misrepresentation which has been perfectly executed by the same mainstream press that, in just a few months, will begin to inform the American people that Colin Powell and a center-tacking GOP are the only solutions for the political right. Truth be told, we’re seeing over and over and over again that the United States of America is a center-right nation, if not a right-center nation. To be successful, the GOP does not need to actively court the Hispanic vote. If American Hispanics are more comfortable voting for a party that believes in a limited federal government and the sanctity of life, then so be it; if they don’t, then so long as the GOP shores up its conservative bona fides, the party will be just fine. Furthermore, to adopt the idea that Hispanics vote in a bloc is to take away from the fiercely independent spirit of not only just Hispanics but all ethnic Americans.

Regardless, it should be pointed out that, once again, it’s South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint rising to the top and doing what needs to be done for America. And while the amendment will indeed likely be scrubbed, it is on the Republicans to adopt a stance of constructive obstructionism and come together behind DeMint’s efforts. To the extent it is possible considering the border failures of the Bush administration as well, make the Democrats own continued instability and lack of security on our southern border.

Comments

1. Chuck in San Diego says:

Jeff and all readers,

I support and actively use the following site for my immigration reform news and efforts.

The information is straight, the use of their tools is easy, and it gets RESULTS!! I really like the easy faxing capability to Congress and the President on immigration issues.

I encourage everyone to give it a look, register, and participate. Let's take advantage of the same technology that the Dems have been using!!

So, what you're saying is the Republicans (again) are presenting conservative legislation in a congress they know they don't have the votes to get passed? Where was this type of leadership and legislation when they had control of everything over several years?

This is the type of thing that has disillusioned me from the Republican Party. Only now that they have lost power are they starting to masquerade as conservatives.

Even if there is a power switch in 2010, nothing will change. They are all bastards and just play the political smoke and mirrors games to keep their respective sheep in line.

I'm so terribly sick of hearing "where were they when [fill in with your choice]".

Come on, people! Stop name calling, and finger pointing, and playing the blame game. What does that do for you?

Stop looking back. Start looking forward.

2:02 Anon, not to get personal, could you try that?

3:10 Anon

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result…

Relying on the same two party system that has bankrupted our country, taken away our freedoms, taxed us to death etc. and expecting them to lead us out of that is insane. It's not a matter of pointing fingers; it's a matter of calling it what it is.

The Republicans are not a better class of politician’s compared to the Democrats. Their form of hope and change will be no different from the Democrats, just more false promises.

5. Celia in TX says:

@ Anonymous, 3:10

I totally agree!

If, a year or 2 or 3 from now we get some people here or on similar blogs who used to support some of this trash or weren't around at all, I sure as heck won't be saying "where we you" as I hear every single day, I will be saying "Thank God you woke up and are ready to take action!"

6. CTRL ALT DEL CONGRESS says:

Clean House 2010
    435 NEW congressmen

Does anyone another proof that Senator deMint's ability to lead and deliver is one of our last shots at the conservative presidency?

Jim deMint & Ron Paul 2012

4:13 Anon

I did not mean to imply any of the things that you mentioned.

I merely am asking anyone who feels "where were they when" if it is solving anything, works toward anything, or builds anything that helps.

The problems we are facing have a lot more to do with other things than the two party system, hope and change analogies, and insanity.

I ponder why my elementary children are learning more about other cultures and history of other countries and don't know a damn thing about ours other than what I teach them.

I don't need my children to speak Spanish, but I do need them to know the words of our national anthem and our pledge of allegiance. I need them to know what makes our country great and not feel entitled to the freedoms that don't come free.

My oldest son is learning about economics the hard way — by working and paying his own way. That's not what they are teaching him in school, but you can bet your sweet ass that's what I am teaching him so he can be a productive member of society.

I do not mean to offend or enrage you with these words, but to take my comment and turn it into something that was not intended needs correction.

My faith is in God and His will. I know there are not enough forces on earth to stop God's will, and I feel compelled to speak out about the blame-game-pointing-fingers-name-calling crap, and I feel it is Him working through me to help us towards the right direction.