More Constructive Obstructionism in Action

Louisiana congressman introduces bill that would force any member of Congress who votes in favor of government-run health care to enroll themselves in the program.

Yesterday, I wrote a little about the Doctrine of Constructive Obstructionism, about how congressional Republicans must propose alternatives to the plans and proposals put forth by their counterparts across the aisle, unify behind those alternatives, and refuse to budge with regard to each and every piece of legislation proposed by the Democrats that weakens our economy and undermines our national defense.

It seems as though, when it comes to the health care debate, one House Republican is getting the ball rolling. In a recent press release, Louisiana Congressman John Fleming, M.D.–that’s right, a medical doctor–described a new piece of legislation he has introduced which would hold his colleagues accountable as they seek to enact groundbreaking reforms to the American health care system. Fleming’s statement:

As a physician, I am amazed at the number of bureaucrats in this House who are quick to claim a government-run health care plan is the reform this country needs. This resolution will offer members of Congress an opportunity to put their money where their mouth is, and urge their colleagues who vote for legislation creating a government-run health care plan to lead by example and enroll themselves in the same public plan.

Fantastic. What better way for congressmen and congresswomen to truly represent their constituents than to subject themselves to the very same rules they enact? I love it.

Fleming’s legislation, of course, will likely not go anywhere — but it’s the idea that Republicans are offering alternatives and new ideas while at the very same time strongly saying “no” to the Democrats’ plans. Regardless of whether the health care reform legislation passes, the GOP can and will be in the position of looking back upon the debate and informing the electorate that, no, the Democrats refused to play by the very same rules which they were foisting upon the American people.

Comments

Thank you for the update Jeff. Great piece of news! I wrote Congressman Fleming a thank you and commended him on his creative thinking. I also told him this is what Republicans need to do instead of waiting for the axe to fall.

Thanks again Jeff.

2. YOUR CHEATIN HEART says:

Honey, I'd like to have affairs, but could YOU please be faithful. Same deal here with Congress' healthcare.

3. THESE PEOPLE HAVE TO GO says:

I'm beginning to think that, maybe, just maybe Congressional poop DOESN'T stink!!!

In Soviet Union, the party leaders were treated by the same overworked doctors, same outdated medications and same understaffed and poorly supplied hospitals as common citizens – officially, of course. The reality, however, was that Communist partaigenosses and their families had a separate network of well-supplied and well-equipped medical providers that a commoner could not access except by personal "recommendation". That's what Americans will have in 7.5 years – unless Atlas shrugs, and soon.

5. Chuck in San Diego says:

I've been saying for years that everyone on Capital Hill or the White House should eat their own dog food.

- Pensions & Retirement
    - Health Care
    - Vacations
    - and the list goes on….

Give them the same government benefits that the Selective Executive Service (SES) gets. They're the cream of the crop civilian government employees. What makes members of congress any more special than them?

But I disagree with the Louisiana congressman, I think all of these things should be mandatory enrollment at time of oath.

6. FRANCE SMARTER THAN U.S. says:

Europe is telling US to quit spending and work on deficit reduction. How funny is that? Ha Ha Ha

7. goddessdivine says:

I love it. But you're right – it likely won't go anywhere. Congressmen are above the law, remember?

Rix, I'm sending your comment to the two most troublesome GA legislators and probably to the newspapers, too.

> Rix, I'm sending your comment to the two most troublesome GA
    > legislators and probably to the newspapers, too.

I am honored by such a high esteem for my foreign experience. Most likely, those legislators know it pretty well as the Usurper have provided them with a booklet.

By the way, I could also tell a lot about my experience in Israel – the country that implemented mandatory healthcare coverage, also known here as "HillaryCare", in mid-nineties. To say it didn't work would be a *very* diplomatic term…