Beam Him Up . . . to the White House?

Okay, so this may not be the deepest or most insightful bit of political commentary to grace the pages of America’s Right, but I thought I’d go along with it anyway.

Last night, in the wake of Sarah Palin’s departure and Mark Sanford’s travels to Argentina, I was having a discussion with a friend about possible contenders for the GOP nomination in 2012. At one point, he and I were discussing Palin and Sanford as stimulus-resistant governors who had apparently fallen from grace, and wondering if there would be some sort of “Family Feud”-type curse that would inevitably befall the others.

Talk turned to Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, for a long time a favorite of mine, and my buddy said something that absolutely blew my mind:

“I think Haley Barbour and William Shatner are the same person.”

While he was obviously kidding–though, as far as I know, Shatner and Barbour have never once been seen in the same place–I watched a few old interviews with the Mississippi governor and, much like being apprised of the ingenious subliminal arrow in the FedEx logo left me unable to see anything else, I am now completely and totally incapable of picturing anyone but William Shatner each and every time Barbour is on camera.

This is a problem. Barbour has has replaced Sanford as chairman of the Republican Governors Association. He has been making fundraising trips to Iowa and New Hampshire. He has consistently been on the fiscally responsible end of nearly every question and issue, and has no problem articulating conservative ideas, principles and values. But, now, every time I see him, I see William Shatner.

Consider this video from last November . . . fittingly, about the prospects of Sarah Palin:

Thankfully, Barbour sounds nothing like Shatner. While some might look at me a little strange from this point on, as I close my eyes and smile slightly while listening to the Mississippi governor articulate the tenets of conservatism, it’s worth it — if not, I wouldn’t be able to take him seriously, and I’d keep looking for Leonard Nimoy.

Comments

1. The Magus says:

I have to agree with you Jeff, not your deepest commentary nor is it insightful. Palin fallen from grace? Now you're parroting the Liberal talking heads and some dimwitted conservative political pundits? The words aren’t prompted by a desire to report news or by individual political insight gained during years of keen observation – they are just following orders. Sarah knows that and so does her lawyer, she has thrown down the gauntlet to them all and to us as well.Sarah is being true to her maverick nature, and that she will continue to speak truth to power in whatever form that takes. She resonates with people because she is forthright, and the content is more important than an Ivy League vocabulary, and speeches filled with lies and contradictions. Sarah Palin is scary because she is everywoman. Men are especially terrified, who feel the primal threat waged by a woman who can best them, outrun them, outshoot them, outfox them, beat them at chess,etc. This upsets the power structure.

No Jeff, Palin has not fallen from grace..only those who relentlessly tried to stain(with bogus ethics lawsuits) and end her political career have taken the plunge in that cesspool of smear. NEVER underestimate Palin, she is just getting started and I suggest you stop throwing dirt over her political grave. It's not only foolish,it's unbecoming. I might also add, she's a breath of fresh air. You might try breathing more deeply.

2. Linda says:

You really need some sleep, Jeff.

3. ARTICLE 2 SECTION 1 CLAUSE 5 says:

Better a star fleet commander than an ALIEN in the White House.

4. JEFF, THIS DESERVES AN EXPOSE' says:

We have an agnostic (or MUCH worse) in the White House!

I certainly wouldn't categorize Palin with Sanford as those "who have fallen from grace"! Just the opposite in her case.

For the last five years, William Shattner was not about "Beam me up, Scottie" for me. As memorable as his Captain Kirk performance was, Denny Crane trumps it in spades – heck, it was the only show that could compete for my attention against House M.D. juggernaut. I actually had a "Crane & Shore 2008" sticker on my last car!

Back to politics, Gov. Haley Barbour's record is impreccable and he could be a tremendous candidate if not for two hefty factors. First, he lacks national exposure; I consider myself reasonably versed in American politics and I haven't heard much of him prior to 2008. Second, his name is politically tainted by association with tobacco lobbying; it will provide ample newspaper fodder come elections.

Had never thought about it, but you're right! Haley Barbour does look like William Shatner!

I am disappointed that you refer to Gov Palin as "fallen from grace" just because she chose to resign from her office. All of the talking heads seem to ASSUME that her ONLY objective is to run for president and quite frankly, I think they surely hope she will because they love to hate her, so much so, that they make fun of a baby with downs syndrome. Perhaps she has decided she can do more as a private citizen and can defend her family much better in that capacity. I don't know if she has what it takes to be president and I don't know if I would vote for her, but I cannot for the life of me see how she is a worse candidate than the bozo we now have occupying the White House. Lumping her into a category with an adulterer is a bit much.
    Carolinagirl

JEFF, THIS DESERVES AN EXPOSE' said…
    "We have an agnostic (or MUCH worse) in the White House!"

It just hit me–Remember when Obama said that we are not a Christian nation? I guess he's right, since "In God We Trust" is on our money; the constitution of every state acknowledges God or our Creator; and our pledge of allegiance acknowledges that we are a nation Under God!

If Obama is the great Christian he claims to be, where is his faith? He was raised an Islamic Muslim, had Communists as mentors, and has no clue as to the meaning of TRUTH.

10. ARISE AND WALK says:

Fallen from Grace? NEIN! Risen from Muck.

11. the conservative resistance says:

My favorite line from Star Trek, uttered by Scottie, should guide our foreign policy -

"The only diplomat I know is a fully-charged phaser bank."

Gail:
    > "We have an agnostic (or MUCH worse) in the White House!"

I beg to differ. I don't give a rat's behind whether Obama is a Christian, a Muslim, a Satanist or an unbeliever; it is his actions that I care about, not his prayers. I'm sure, for example, that I'd make a fine POTUS despite being an atheist (of course, I'm a foreign born non-citizen but that seems to be almost a requirement these days) – the only condition being to respect YOUR right to be Christian.

13. SCOTTIE says:

But Cap'n Soetoro, she's cracking up! breaking apart.. we can't keep throwing the money at er!!!

14. SHE CAN TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT says:

"I said before … 'You know, politically speaking, if I die, I die. So be it,'"
    -Sarah Palin

I personally love a person whose whole life has not been to be in The White House. (Clinton, Bush, Soetoro)

I am going to miss this breath of fresh air if she leaves the scene.