Five Years

Back when Joanna and I were dating.

My day started early that Saturday morning, but not as early as hers. My tuxedo was already pressed, after all, and during breakfast at the hotel I was able to nervously read a newspaper and make smalltalk with various friends and extended family members who had flown in for the wedding. Joanna, however, had been up with the sun, her parents’ house an epicenter of activity with a dozen girls and women of all ages running around, piling into a modestly sized bathroom to apply makeup, waiting patiently for their turn to have their hair done.

The entire day was a blur. The ceremony was wonderful, with a little more than 100 people packed into a small Polish church in suburban Philadelphia. I distinctly remember four things: (1) how absolutely beautiful my wife looked as the doors opened at the back of the church, (2) the bird that sang throughout Father Mickey Genovese’s homily, (3) hearing so many people saying “congratulations” in the receiving line that I eventually started saying “congratulations” to them myself instead of “thanks for coming” or “great to see you,” and (4) that I managed not to trip and fall or faint.

I came close, though, afterward. July 3, 2004 was the hottest day of the year to date, I believe, and standing out in the hot sun in a black tuxedo, posing for photographs, almost got the better of my consciousness. At one point, I sent one of my buddies back into the limousine-bus for a beverage, thinking I was surely going to pass out. I should have been more specific.

“Dude,” I said, lamenting that the phenomenal tuxedo–a gift from my brother, who works for perhaps the top name in men’s fashion–would likely have emitted steam if I had removed my jacket. “I really need something to drink. I’m going to pass out.”

“Sure thing, Jeff,” he said. And he came back with a glass of champagne.

The reception constituted about five hours of doing our best to spend a little time with everyone. The room was majestic (only a few months before, it had hosted President George W. Bush for some fundraising dinner), the food was great (or so I was told, as we barely had any time to eat), the drinks were flowing (though every time I put one down to shake someone’s hand or pose for a picture, it was whisked away by someone in white gloves), and the company was fantastic. By the end of the night, our faces hurt from smiling so much, and our feet were numb because of the dancing. All in all, it was absolutely phenomenal.

And the five years since have been even better. We might not have the nice cars or the disposable income or the fancy new television, and we may not have had the chance to escape for exotic vacations or sample all the finest restaurants in Philadelphia, but every day is better than the last, and that’s about all you can ask for.

It’s funny. Each day, it seems, I receive wonderfully nice e-mails from so many readers who look at what they know about my busy life and thank me for putting the time in here at America’s Right. The thing is, I couldn’t do any of it without my wife. Balancing work, school, family and the Web site is not always easy, but Joanna is about as supportive as a spouse could ever be. Without her, none of this would happen. Without her, God only knows where I’d be.

So, because today is our five year wedding anniversary, and because the courts I cover for my day job are closed for the holiday weekend, we’re scooping up the munchkin and heading off to spend the day at an area water park. It’s fair to say that not a day goes by where I don’t thank God for blessing us and our family, but it’s also not often that we have a chance to cut loose.

Unless something absolutely crazy happens–I hope not–this is all you will find at America’s Right today. Tomorrow’s content will be fairly simple as well, as Independence Day should be spent away from the computer and with family, a chance to come together and remind ourselves and others of just what it means to be free. Now, more than ever, we need the opportunity for introspection.

In the meantime, however, if you need me, I’ll be in the lazy river. I’m the one that looks like a manatee — a pale, hairy manatee who obviously married up.

Comments

1. La Muse Poetique says:

This isn't political!! I DEMAND POLITICS!!!!

Nah. Jk. CONGRATS!!!!

2. La Muse Poetique says:

Oh and watch out for those late afternoon T-storms!

Happy Anniversary, Mr. and Mrs. Manatee! (Sorry, Jeff, you left yourself wide open for that one!)

I am truly happy that marriage has been kind to you, but I am struck by the fact that you are a man who actually APPRECIATES what he has!

And, even if you didn't appreciate the jewel you have as a wife, you have the morals to honor your commitment.

The best to all three of you!

And, hot dog! I have the day off tomorrow–Jeff's going manateeing!

4. Claudia says:

She is beautiful Jeff…. happy anniversary. I think that you are both the lucky ones, cause you also have your sweet little daughter.

Her is a thought that I have been using on my own emails in the signature line and something that if we all used, we might get some attention….

Hello EVERYONE ON America'sRight blog and in the group of faithful, I have come up with a new catch phrase for us all to use on our mails and email signatures and everywhere we can…… it is:

“WHO HAS DUAL CITIZENSHIP and is NOT A NATURAL BORN CITIZEN?”

IF everyone started using that on all correspondence with others, it would have the same impact, eventually, as a billboard or any other advertisement, and it is easy to insert into your signature line. Just one little sentence but it has impact and asks a VALID QUESTION, much better than WND’s billboard cause it hits the truth. It is the one thing that Obama can’t run from and can’t change, because he himself put it all out there, on his websites, in his books, and has stated it several times in his innauguration speech and several other places….

Just my little brain working overtime, but I have been using this on my own emails and have gotten a few comebacks with the obvious questions and then I could explain to those and give them something to think about…..

5. T.I.M. says:

Jeff: Thanks for reminding us of the truly precious things in our lives. As you float up in that lazy marital river, may you (to borrow an omnipresent phrase) never land. As I'm about to marry my angel (whose email address starts with manatee — a creature that fills our home) for the twenty-second time — it's very reassuring to see someone who not only understands politics, but also has a firm grasp on real values.

Claudia, you are brilliant!

I like the caps, too.

Night, everybody–I'm done.

7. Paul says:

Congratulations Jeff :)

8. John Feeny says:

Congrats, Jeff…I'm at 14 years and counting myself, and couldn't have expressed the sentiments any better (I never found the lazy river all that enthralling myself…no real excitement there).
    In response to Claudia – my wife was driving home from New Jersey with friends the other day, and she said that at one point in that state they passed a large billboard that read, "Where's the Birth Certificate"? She couldn't tell which group had paid for it, though.
    One other point – has anyone seen the video called "The Obama Deception"? You can watch the entire film on Youtube; it's about 90 minutes in length. I hate going down the road of conspiracy theories – I really do – but if that film has any truth to it, I can't help but think that we're up against forces that are much larger than we can even begin to anticipate. I'd like to know what anyone else thinks, if you've either already seen it or do watch it eventually.

9. vcw39 says:

Happy Anniversary Jeff, Today my wife and I are also celebrating our wedding anniversary, only 30 more years than yours.
    Claudia has provided us with a really great email signature.
    'The Obama Deception' is very, very interesting. Watched it when it first was shown and probably have forgotten most of it by now so will have to watch it again.

10. cher-pa says:

Happy Anniversary Jeff and Joanna.Enjoy yourselves at the waterpark today.Your family deserves it.Heres a little saying that I try to live by.
    Love Bears All Things,Believes All Things,Endures All Things,Hopes All Things…
    Love Never Fails.

Happy 4th of July to everyone at Americas Right.I will be busy also this weekend.Arts and Heritage Festival,Tea Party at Bushy Run Battelfield and my beautiful niece/goddaughter was born on the fourth.Never take for granted your freedoms and celebrate them every chance you get.
    Let Freedom Ring!!!!

11. Jan says:

Congratulations to you both! Thanks for sharing that part of your personal life, Jeff. May all three of you have a blessed time today.

12. goddessdivine says:

Congratulations Jeff. Enjoy your time with the family; you deserve it!

13. Still a Patriot says:

Hi Jeff -

Congratulations & blessings to you & your beautiful family.

To Jeff & all of the Patriots at America's Right:
    Have a safe & happy Fourth of July!
    Let freedom ring!
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

Susan

Happy Anniversary! Wishing you and your lovely wife a great day loafing and enjoying each others company. May you both have 50 more years together of pure wedded bliss! Thanks (to both of you) for all you do to make America's Right possible.

Oh, and Happy Independence Day too!

15. jmi says:

Congratulations, Jeff on your 5th anniversary! Keep up your wonderful attitude and you'll make it for the long haul like we have…46 in October. Hope you have a wonderful 4th!

God bless!

Happy Anniversary Jeff and Joanna!!Thank you Joanna for sharing Jeff with us..he gives us strength. The two of you and your precious little girl give some of us who are older hope in the future. As one who has enjoyed 39 years of marriage, two children, 3 + 1 (on the way)grandchildren I can tell you it's worth the struggles you go thru so keep loving each other and enjoying life. May God give you many happy years and a wonderful, free country for your daughter to grow up in…thanks to the sacrifice of many brave men and women. That is what we all want for our children and by God's grace, we will restore this great nation. Enjoy your weekend!!!

17. carder says:

Awesome.

Enjoy!

18. sneese says:

Thank-you Joanna for the support you give Jeff day in and day out. This website is so important to so many people, I for one appreciate both of your time involved. Happy Anniversary!

Happy Anniversary, Jeff. Just remember to spend the day looking through your daughter's eyes, and you are sure to have a blast.

20. Nancy says:

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! I love the picture! What a great smile!

May you have a long, happy life together! It is definitely family that makes many things in life possible. Thank you Jeff and Joanna! Thank you for such a great and informative site!

Jeff:

CONGRATS!!! I am so happy for you and your beautiful bride! (And she truly is!)

Marriage is the true shelter of life…it can re-energize, re-ground, and help remind us of the true value of life…relationships!

It is also hard on occasion, and brings out the best and worst in each of us!

We are on our 22nd year, 3 children later…what blessings they are! But when they are gone, my precious husband and I will eagerly embark on some well-deserved "us" time. We still enjoy being together…maybe even more so now.

My husband tells me that I am more beautiful than the day he married me (probably b/c of the 80's big hair!), and I feel the same about him.

We have had serious dark years…they CAN come to the best marriages…but if one hangs on, those times only make the marriage better!

Lisa in TX

John Feeney:

I have the Obama Deception…I've watched it, plus have done tons of other reading research…please know that the private bankers ARE in control of the world…as Rothschild said, "I care not who holds the throne of England (or something like that)…the one who controls the money controls the country…and I control the money." David Rockefeller admitted in his own memoirs that he is "guilty of a conspiracy to create a global government."

Think about it: To get elected, one has to have huge amounts of money. The Wall Street gang makes vast donations to the candidates who get elected, so the elected are beholden to them! Keep reading and learning…

One thing I know is that "conspiracy theorists" are maligned ON PURPOSE…to discredit the information and truths that can be found. Most people are just too dumbed-down, naive, or trusting to let themselves believe that there is something going on below the surface of the "current reality".

Be prepared to be shunned, disbelieved, and derided…even most people on this blog are not intersted in this info. It is just too disturbing to want to believe. Focusing on partisanship is much more in the comfort zone.

Just sayin'…

Lisa in TX

To our military and our veterans:

Thank you for your service to our country, that we may celebrate our freedom and independence for the 233rd time in our history.

May God bless you and keep you safe.

Many more years and decades for you both to walk together, Jeff.

PS: Something crazy just happened, if FoxNews can be trusted. You won't forgive yourself later if you don't comment on the last Sarah Palin's move.

25. MANATEE AND MERMAID SITTIN IN A TREE says:

Congratulations you two!

congratulation jeff to you and your wife

private:

oh and on americanthinker.com, colin powell is publicly dissing obama on economy and trillions in deficit

28. LOVE STORY says:

is she Argentinian?

Congratulations & God Bless you both. We celebrated on June 15…52 years. It goes by fast…cherish each day!!

Rix mentioned the story of Sarah Palin's resignation..it is a shock and I'm starting to wonder, "Can Republicans get a break..are we trying to self destruct?" We don't know the full story of Palin yet but I'm sure her family has suffered from her public torture that they have been subjected to..I have never seen such an assault against a politician in my life..we just don't realize yet the viciousness of the left and what they will do if you get in their way. I don't think Palin is out of politics but she will certainly be the target of more ridicule for this move.

31. John Feeny says:

Lisa in Texas -
    My sister lives in Texas, so I've been down there quite a bit…I know that your people are as straight,honest, and kind as one can be. So I appreciate what you're saying.
    On my blog today I posted an entry called , "Am I Crazy?" Should you read it, I'd be interested in knowing what you think.

32. Steve says:

Happy Anniversary and God Bless to both of you!!
    -Steve

33. GATOR-1 says:

Enjoy Your Independence Day weekend my friend. It gives me joy in knowing that you are going to get a well deserved break.

Thanks again for this site.

And you are correct….the proof is in the pics….You married UP!

Chomp Chomp Jeff

Blessings Patriots…

34. MARK SANFORD says:

Dude,

she is beautiful!

35. Auntie Lib says:

I didn't stop by yesterday – it was my 38th wedding anniversary and I was spending time with my husband instead of on the laptop. What a surprise to discover we share the date with Jeff and his bride! Congratulations Schreibers!!!!

Happy 4th to all! God bless us everyone!

36. Dee says:

Congratulations to you and your wife. We will celebrate our 41st anniversary on July 6. Our oldest son was born on Thanksgiving Day and July 4th is my daughter's birthday. We have been blessed with 3 children (our youngest son skipped the holidays and was born when he was due, the end of June, the very end) and so far only 4 grand cats! Have a great weekend and may God Bless America and all those who believe in her.

Hello Jeff,

Great to see someone in love. My best wishes to you and your wife.

I first read your blog concerning Obama's eligibility and I am still in wait of justice on this matter. I am puzzled how evil this whole legal process is where it seems that justice avoids tackling the issue head on for the benefits of Obama and his gang!

38. DR STEAL says:

great couple. Just one tip: if you EVER happen to need or desire marriage counseling, stay away from male therapists (even married ones). My luck I ended up with a 'Mark Sanford' and you know the rest of the story.

But from your writings I can tell you have the intellect and the love to never need that. I'm glad she lets you devote time to keep us informed and thinking. Thanks to both of you.

39. KEEP ON SMILIN' says:

After every angry post I post I come back to this photo of you two for a sanity check.