Despite Consequences, Sen. Franken a Net Loss for the Left

Senator Al Franken. I don’t like it. But it could end up being a good thing.

Am I crazy? After all, doesn’t Franken provide the Democrats with a filibuster-proof majority? Perhaps, and of course it does. However, at this point I get the feeling as though every move made by the Democrats to spend more money, to expand federal power, seems to be met with more and more skepticism and dissent from Americans on both sides of the political spectrum. Franken’s win may allow the Democrats to force through anything they’d like, but the more force they use to expand power, the more concerned Americans will push back.

It is precisely that tendency to overreach which will manifest itself in further economic trouble, and as we get closer and closer to midterm elections in 2010, I firmly believe that nearly every action taken by the Democrats will build up more and more backlash at the polls. Add an outspoken, unqualified, ideologically rabid liberal joke politician to the mix, and that backlash will only grow further.

Sixty is a crucial number, but the success or failure of contentious, disastrous bills such as cap-and-trade and health care reform will turn on our ability to appeal to common sense among several Democrats interested in maintaining their seat, not just one. Al Franken, a senator? I call this a net loss for the left. After all, there’s a reason that Air America could never get off the ground — the man is simply not that popular, and his ideas simply do not resonate with most of America.

Comments

1. Foxwood says:

Don't believe this is not a tax on those making under $250,000 and 95% of Americans will not get taxed. Everything this bill touches will go down the FOOD chain. Gas, electricity, food, products and services. Everything will go up, but it's not a tax on you. Not to mention man made climate change is a myth.

2. MAKING THE 3 STOOGES LOOK INTELLIGENT says:

Poster child for what's wrong with America's self governance. Maybe the left can elect Janeane Garofalo in 2010 as well.

Jeff, wake up and stop being silly. More than 40% of Americans – and the number is growing rapidly – do not pay any taxes and couldn't care less how the tax money is squelched because IT IS NOT THEIR MONEY. In Soviet Union where I lived for two decades, people reacted to wasteful projects and blatant embezzlement schemes with nothing but smirks – and even here, we gradually become desensitized to them. At some point, trust me, we either revolt or stop caring – and IMHO, the sooner the better.

I hope that you are correct, Jeff, but I would have said the same for Barney Frank a number of years ago.
    Apparently, MN, like MA, has a fondness for real nutcakes.

5. John Feeny says:

The people are waking up, and they're coming my friend, they're coming. This ain't Russia. There's a reason the Messiah was expounding on the illegalities of the military's rising up in Honduras…he knows he's been exposed as the malicious fraud that he is.

6. goddessdivine says:

He's NOT good enough, NOT smart enough, and doggonit, only SOME people like him.

Seriously, what were the people of MN thinking?! (Maybe ACORN had a hand in this…..)

7. Proof says:

"Sixty is a crucial number" And with the addition of Franken to the Senate, sixty is the new average IQ of Senate Dems! Heh.

If this wasn't so pathetic it would be funny. So, you thought Barney Frank was a joke – well, stay tuned for the Frank & Franken show.

In a recent post on America's Right, John Cardillo said: "We'll have to weather a little storm for some months to come, but I think Obama and this Congress are the best things to happen to the right since Reagan." I would love to believe that somehow this "Constitutional Cancer" currently infesting Washington would somehow bring all conservative factions together on the only thing that matters – The Constitution. Unfortunately, I see most conservatives – fiscal, social, neo, theo, paleo, libertarian, federalist, etc. – posturing – like they're engaged in some kind of beauty contest – WTF – It's the Constitution, stupid!

Rix said… "At some point, trust me, we either revolt or stop caring – and IMHO, the sooner the better." – IMHO, if we don't come together SOON with a common purpose, then I have to agree with Rix and frankly my dear (soon to be comrades), I'll never stop caring and I'm way past giving a damn!

9. tm says:

No Stuart smley did not win today-George Soros and his money won ….again. He now has a fool proof way to bring this country to its knees. Which was always the plan. Soros had no less than 3 major fundraisers for the court hearings in New York add to this he made sure ACORN was funded and all in play found a way to pay for and find fradulent ballots. Now we will all have to endure the consequences of this election of a clown. This is no longer about political parties and little political games – this is "our lives" these thugs are now playng with. Bottom Line: This election was stolen. And with a fillibuster proof senate " Our democracy" is stolen too. I disagree Jeff. Not a good day for this country.

10. NO SOVIET UNION FOR ME says:

Drums and fifes at my funeral please.
    Patrick Henry, YOU ARE THE MAN.

verification word: shude
    We 'shoulda' done this a long time ago

11. FOREGO FARGO says:

BOYCOTT Minnesota, that'll teach em.

tm: i agree and have said so from the beginning

how can we fix it?

word verification: subdu (huh?)

13. Bodenzee says:

It's sad when the voters don't recognize the eastern end of a west bound horse for what it is.

Frankenstein and Frankfurter in the same party…one is as worthless and unscrupulous as the other but the people who voted for them are the ones I question. I know that there were voter 'irregularities' but there were enough idiots who supported these clowns to get them in office. Our government has become the opposite of what the intent of our founding fathers was and we have a "political monster" at the helm. Until the citizens WAKE UP, they will continue to devastate our country.

15. JC says:

I read yesterday in the Washington Post about this. The journalist stated that while this does provide a "technical" filibuster, the real picture is just not the case. He stated that 2 of the democrats are not on the floor right now, and they have no real time table of returning. Also, the division and in house fighting among the democrats will further deteriorate the chances of the other 58 agreeing with each other on ANY bill. I remain cautiously optimistic though, as I agree with you on this one. Al Franken is a jester, and his influence is just above that. The only thing he has at this point is a vote. Anything more and people will laugh.

16. SNL says: