‘Tanned, Rested and Ready’

Assigned Reading: Mitt Romney’s Team Awaits 2012
(FROM: Politico)

Before going any further, let me say that I’m not certain I’d like a president who has made it his life’s work to get to the office. That’s what has bothered me slightly about Newt Gingrich, who constantly looks as though he is preening for the cameras and giving stump speeches at every opportunity. That’s what has turned me off slightly to Mike Huckabee, who seems as though he is crossing off days on his desk calendar until he can hit the campaign trail again for the 2012 election. And that’s what has irked me about Mitt Romney who, while he certainly has the fortune to spend, seemed to be doing everything he could to buy his own nomination a little more than a year ago.

That’s not to say that I don’t like any of those guys. I do. (Though, admittedly, I’d rather see Speaker Gingrich in a more behind-the-scenes, Axelrod- or Rove-type role.) I really like Mike Huckabee for the way he relates to the American people, and I really like Mitt Romney for his pedigree in terms of making a successful life of turning around troubled economies on the business and industry level.

In fact, as an aside, I’ve said for a while now that a Romney/Huckabee ticket would be nearly unstoppable — the two just compliment each other beautifully, each filling in the other’s weaknesses. The supporters, however, would never go for it. Unfortunately, they seem more intent upon tearing each other’s guy down than building up a force to dismantle all that has been done by this president.

“Tanned, rested and ready” is how one former Romney campaign aide described the former governor. And I hope he is. If there is any candidate poised to rip apart an incumbent Barack Obama for every economic misstep in a debate setting, it’s Mitt Romney. On the economy, the man just oozes competence, and after three years of allowing a rank amateur to take the United States to the brink of collapse, I believe the American people will be clamoring for someone who has been there, done that, and obtained great results.

Yes, Mitt Romney has had problems in the past with his conservative bona fides. But, you know what? So have I. Heck, a decade ago I was a liberal Democrat. I’ve obviously gone right since then, and the happenings of the past six months have developed in me a mean Libertarian streak. In fact, I would venture to say that Barack Obama’s presidency, even in its relative infancy, has made me a stronger, better, more vocal conservative, more in touch with the core tenets and values of conservatism than I ever have been before. And I can guarantee you that the same thing is happening to Mitt Romney. Probably even more so, as it must not be easy for a man who has made a fortune turning around faltering businesses to watch his beloved country going in the wrong direction.

Romney will be game. And while he may be overzealous in his planning, at this point I think we need all the help we can get.

Comments

Okay, Jeff. I hope you are right. You are virtually always right. I'll give him my vote.

Remember, I was a Democrat for 50 years. My conservative high school friend says my conversion was more like an exorcism!

It's 3:52 a.m.–I was listening to Boortz being replayed. He was talking about gasoline and that refineries will shut down in the USA because it will be cheaper to import refined oil because of the added fees due to carbon. Is Obama going to do ANYTHING that is GOOD for us? We can't use our own oil; we won't be refining it; and the U.S.A. is going to hell in a handbasket!

A Huckabee/Romney ticket would be my preference.

In any case, all politicians are out for themselves. I think Huckabee is less so than the others. It's just human nature I suppose.

I think you are right about Romney, Jeff. He would be a very competent and effective President..I know he has his critics due to his flip flops but I am glad to see that SOME conservative is beginning to prepare for the election NOW. We need others to step up and confront the liberal agenda boldly, and some are doing that. There are other capable men and women who would serve well in other positions like Gingrich. I hope they don't resort to sniping and attacking each other..the liberals would love that. The urgency of our situation and the devastation that is being forced on our country demand that we consolidate our resources and work as one to combat this assault on our freedom. Now, Obama is going to tell us what light bulbs we have to use?

I'm fairly sure that no politician in the modern history who lost a closely contested primaries became a President in the next cycle (feel free to correct me, my older daughter who usually consults me on American history is on vacation now). The stench of defeat takes a lot of time to rub off. That is the primary reason why I'd object to Romney and Palin, as much respect as I have for either, running in 2012. If Republicans want to take over – assuming they are actually allowed to run by the soon-to-be-appointed Election Czar – they must come up with an untainted candidate. Senator Jim deMint is, in my estimate, the absolutely best candidate for the money – young, fresh, popular, solidly conservative, not overly religious (as an atheist, I have hard time voting for Huckabee), capable of solidifying the Southern bloc and absolutely clean-handed.

5. RELEASE THE GLOBE!!! says:

Gail,

We are not GOING to hell.
    (We ARE THERE).

Sieg Heil Pelosi!

6. SAVE THE PLANET says:

And that better be a recyclable handbasket, Gail.

7. Still a Patriot says:

Hi Jeff -
    I've said this before – you need to research the records of Romney's term as Governor. Please check out massresistance.org.

Susan

Maybe that will open some eyes. It's what Rix has been trying to tell us from his own experience, too.

If you prefer a hyperlink, click HERE.

Still a Patriot, thanks for alerting us to this site…that's what we need…INFORMATION and FACTS about all those who are presidential hopefuls…we must make an informed decision as to who we will support. I hope Jeff will respond with his take on the validity of the criticisms against Romney. I agree that Jim Dimint is also a rising star who warrants consideration.

10. Bodenzee says:

Look carefully at what Romney did TO Massachusetts before you swoon over him.

I'm fed up with voting for the least worst; I wan't to vote for the best candidate.

Rix:

I agree 100%!!! I heard DeMint on Beck this morning, and I think he is very strong, and even humble! Do you think he would run?

Gail: I would like to know your thoughts on the ad picture to the right of the articles: Evony…Play Now, my Lord…….do you think we need to ask Jeff if we can get rid of this? It could prove to be too distracting to the male bloggers on AR!!

Hee-hee!

Lisa in TX

12. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

Lisa — I can't do much about the ads. I'm trying. Believe me, I don't want Evony ads up either.

13. MY EYES LEAN RIGHT NOW says:

Big boobs to the right??? where where? Just Kidding! I've been admiring them for days now.

Re: Evony ads

My late father-in-law owned a newspaper and was positively brilliant. He read the Harvard Classics as we read People magazine.

When I griped about an ad on TV, he remarked, "You're talking about it, though." He let that sink in and added, "Advertisers want an ad or commercial that people will talk about. It gives them more for their advertising dollar. Whether you like the ad or not, they want you to talk about it. If you talk about it, you will remember it."

The opposite of being loved is not being hated, but being ignored.

15. YOURE BEAUTIFUL says:

Evony,

Are those real? Will Obamas healthcare pay for fake ones?

I'm ready to move to Alaska. Go, Sarah!

17. Concerned about Romney says:

What state is Romney from as Govenor? How is that state's universal healthcare? Didn't he implement that in his state, and isn't it a huge failure? Isn't it MANDATORY, which goes against free market capitalism principles…and doesn't mandatory participation with a fine for those who do not "obey" go against the very concept of liberty? Just askin…

18. ROMNEY V EVONY says:

FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS this piece was to be about Romney NOT Evony

19. BILL CLINTON says:

I say the Evony ad stays.

20. LEGMAN says:

I'm racking my brain over the fuss about that ad.

Let's keep watching, I am still hoping someone else will surface. They need to be smart, strong, and has the best interest of people at heart. Not saying these individuals aren't that…but I am still watching, hoping…

I really like Marco Rubio from Florida state senate. If he would make it to Washington as a Senator. Then in two years, he could run…kind of like you know who.

This guy believes in America and doesn't mind saying so! I love it!! What I am saying it that there might be just the right one at the right time, this is what I am praying for…what I am saying it that I hope it will be apparent who should run! Please check out Marco Rubio from Florida, if you haven't heard of him. There are some videos of him on youtube, below is one:

22. goddessdivine says:

A guest on Beck yesterday said that Carter gave us Reagan. There's gotta be someone that will rise to the occasion to be our 'savior' from the Obama-wan.

At this point, I'll take anyone who qualifies as a Natural Born Citizen over the usurper currently squatting in the Whitehouse.

24. CAL says:

Go Mitt go!!! We need someone who knows what the heck he is doing. Huckabee is not a conservative – all his economic insticts are wrong. We need someone in office who has actually run something. I am sick of the career politicians who have contributed nothing to the GNP, but always seem to be rolling in the dough!

25. NO PAPER TRAIL BARRY says:

Right on Anonymous. (6:21)

26. Still a Patriot says:

Cal -

Please check out the records of both Governor Romney & Governor Huckabee. I would like for you to provide the facts that lead you to conclude that Mike Huckabee is not an economic conservative – and please don't quote Club for Growth.
    Thanks.

Old Bob – Are you still with us? I miss your viewpoints & your wisdom.

Susan

Mike Huckabee is definitely an economic conservative. He is also a social retro and a religious zealot, which scores no approval points with me. I can tolerate that in a VP but were he to win the primaries somehow, I'll rather burn my vote on a libertarian.

28. Shane says:

I think that you're right about Romney, but wrong about him allying with Huckabee. I had read that Huckabee threatened to do all he could to pull the evangelical vote if Romney won the primary. Also, Huckabee and McCain did all they could to make sure that Romney placed third in caucus states.

I think it's difficult to say who Romney would pick as a running mate at this point, but I'm willing to bet against Huckabee.

29. Lynn says:

To Shane — I think America's Right and her readers deserve better than for anyone to post unfounded rumors.

If anyone were going to pull a stunt like that, it would be Romney or his supporters. Evidence: view the deceitful attack ads with which Romney carpeted the air in Iowa and elsewhere.

Re: Huckabee and McCain "doing all they could to make sure that Romney placed third in caucus states," I assume you are referring to what happened in the West Virginia caucus early in the morning on Super Tuesday. I'm sorry that the Ron Paul supporters who were there preferred Huckabee over your man.

As for any other caucus states, if your man placed third — despite all the countless thousands of dollars he spent on having staff and buses in every state– then please wake up and smell the toast burning.

Jeff – it's nice that you are getting more in touch with the core tenents and value of conservatism. Also nice that you think the same thing is happening to Romney. He has a long way to go since his liberal governing days in Mass. I however prefer to support a real conservative and that is Gov. Huckabee. Huck is electable. (he has topped Romney SIX recent national polls) The only reason Romney is still on the scene is because he has the money to make sure his name is still out there. Huck is travelling the country speaking several times a week to groups of Americans who will be voting in 2012. He also reaches millions each week with his Fox show and his radio segment The Huckabee Report. The American people are getting to know Gov. Huckabee and they like what they see.

31. Not Shelby says:

A new Washington Post-ABC News poll conducted on July 15-18 shows Gov. Mike Huckabee leading among Republicans and GOP-leaning independents, with a 5-point lead.

(ASKED OF REPUBLICANS AND GOP-LEANING INDEPENDENTS) If the 2012 Republican presidential primary or caucus in your state were being held today, and the candidates were ("READ LIST"), for whom would you vote?

Mike Huckabee 26%
    Mitt Romney 21%
    Sarah Palin 19%
    Newt Gingrich 10%
    Tim Pawlenty 4%
    Jeb Bush 3%
    Haley Barbour 1%
    Bobby Jindal (vol.) 2%
    Charlie Crist (vol.) *
    Other/None of these/Would not vote/No opinion 14%

This Washington Post-ABC News poll was conducted by telephone July 15-18, 2009, among a random national sample of 1,001 adults including users of both conventional and cellular phones. The results from the full survey have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus three points. Sampling, data collection and tabulation by TNS of Horsham, Pa.

32. Grace 77x7 says:

I am also dying to hear something substantive explaining why Romney gets all this credit for being some kind of economic wunderkind when he was FOR that wretched stimulus bill (Huckabee was loudly opposing it from the beginning – not waiting for the polls to change his mind as Romney did).

And Romney not only could NOT "fix" Massachusetts' economy (so why should we expect him to be able to fix it on the national level?), but he gave them stealth taxes and – his worst crime of all as far as I'm concerned – the economic healthcare nightmare known as Romneycare.

I honestly want to know – what IS it about his political record that you believe validates your faith in him?

P.S. To the anti-Christian atheist, you prefer political candidates who use religion over those who live it? What a strange sort of reason to employ – opportunistic dissembling is apparently preferable to forthrightness. What is it about Christianity that frightens you? And why was it not a problem when devout Christians founded this country, established our Constitution & political system, and were many of our past presidents, but is an ideology to be feared now?

33. I Get It! says:

I find it ironic that the title of this pro-Romney piece is "Tanned, Rested, and Ready." Some of us are old enough to know that this phrase came from a joke about Richard Nixon, urging him to run for president again — several years after Watergate. He had retired to the so-called Western White House in San Clemente, CA, on the beach, where he did absolutely nothing. BTW, what HAS Mitt been up to lately? Haven't seen much of him….

34. Megan says:

In the photo of Mitt Romney, he looks like he's choking on something. Maybe the poll #s for the last several months (summer/fall 2009), showing Mike Huckabee consistently beating Mitt?