Energy Czar Carol Browner Hasn’t Read it, Either

This is from Fox News Channel’s Fox & Friends program this morning, specifically from an interview of Obama administration energy czar Carol Browner. Anchor Steve Doocy has a simple question for Ms. Browner — whether or not she read the Waxman-Markey cap-and-trade bill. Here’s the transcript of the brief exchange:

STEVE DOOCY: “I know the bill is over 1,000 pages long. Have you have read it?”
CAROL BROWNER: “Oh, I’m very familiar with this bill.”
DOOCY: “Have you have read it?”
BROWNER: “We have obviously been watching this for a very long time. I am very …”
DOOCY: “I’m sure you’ve got an idea of it, but you have read it?”
BROWNER: “I’ve read major portions of it, absolutely.”
DOOCY: “So the answer is no, you haven’t read it. But you’ve read a big chunk of it.”
BROWNER: “No, no, no. That’s not fair. That’s absolutely not fair.”
DOOCY: “No, I’m just asking you if you read the thousand pages.”
BROWNER: “I’ve read vast portions of it.”
DOOCY: “Okay.”

I know that many of you look at this cap-and-trade bill as a disaster. Obviously, it is. But it also presents the GOP with an opportunity to take power back in 2010 and beyond. When energy prices soar and when people start to lose jobs, Republicans across the country need to bring out short videos like this one to point out how the Democrats have squandered the American economy in an effort to grab power.

We need to be relentless on this one. They’re handing us the ammunition on a daily basis. Let’s make sure we use it.

Comments

Thanks to you, Jeff. You're doing an outstanding job.

Please make lots of back-ups. With all the disappearing acts going on, and with the great job you do, please archive your work like it's the value of gold (cuz it is!).

2. LIKE BEING A LITTLE PREGNANT says:

Kinda like a Supreme Court justice who has read a vast portion of The Constitution. This is so absurd.

verification word: biltymez
    Billy Mays cousin in Mexico
    RIP Billy

Once again, Unbelievable! What part of the question did she not understand?

4. WE DIDN'T BREED TO READ says:

What is the hold-up on seating the Omniscience-Imparting Czar? Nobody should have to read 1,500 + 300 pages.

5. Celia in TX says:

"Nobody should have to read 1,500 + 300 pages."

oh, raspberries!

that's what they're counting on, of course….all the little hiding trinkets inside that no-one is ever going to read because "Nobody should have to read 1,500 + 300 pages."

Sen. Inhofe Calls for Inquiry Into 'Suppressed' Climate Change Report
    Republicans are raising questions about why the EPA apparently dismissed an analyst's report questioning the science behind global warming.

7. the conservative resistance says:

I've two questions – when is cap-and-trade being voted on in the Senate (I need to bring those two paragons of political virtue, Jack Reed and Sheldon Whitehouse – which I refuse to believe is his name – down a couple of pegs beforehand), and when is HR 1207 going for vote before the house?

8. MS RASPBERRY says:

Man my sarcasm is so unfathomable to some.

I apologize.

I was wondering when the suppressed climate change report would surface. Senator Inhofe, thank you!

And, Jeff, this report is just simply gorgeous!

I'm waiting to hear an update on Carl Swennsen, who went to DC today with his Grand Jury indictments. I'll let you know when I hear something.

Seems some other things have been going on today, too. Not sure what that's about.

Verify: tiredier (tired, tireder, tiredest?)

10. AMERICAS RIGHT'S GOT TALENT says:

Kudos Jeff. This is a High Quality site, and you're pissing off the 'right' people.

11. Claudia says:

I think that the FIRST THING anyone does in the House and the Senate IF we get back into power, or before, if POSSIBLE, is to put up a BILL STATING that IF the actual person voting on ANY said Bill does NOT fully read every word of said Bill, they should NOT be able to vote on it. PERIOD, IF THEY DON'T READ IF FULLY, THEY CAN'T VOTE ON IT. And to prove that they DID READ IT FULLY they should have to take a test to make sure that they did read it fully, and that test would have to be administered before any VOTE could be made.

For them, any of them, to VOTE on their constituents futures and livlihood and ability to function in ways that they have been doing before said Bill came about in any manner should be against the law and is tantamount to TREASON against the people that they are supposed to be representing. Plus having a test to take before any vote would at least, partially STOP all these LATE FRIDAY EVENING VOTES THAT THEY KNOW WE THE PEOPLE DON'T WANT to take place!!!

NO PASSING THE TEST and the test has to be passed with at least an 80% percentile correct on the questions, and the larger the Bill, the more questions about it, AGAIN –NO PASSING THE TEST WITH 80% correct in the questions, NO VOTE, PERIOD!!!!

12. I DIDN'T READ IT, DID YOU READ IT? says:

The more I think about it, the two that didn't vote are showing more character. In effect they abstained, which they ALL should have done having NOT READ THE DAMNED BILL.

13. John Feeny says:

What if firefighters ruled the world?

"This is the easiest job I ever had."

I hope Jeff has some good Sonia stuff tomorrow. Don't let me down, big guy.

I love Doocy and the morning Fox crew.

Claudia, they should not only read it but have HEARINGS on it as well!

It just does not make sense (well, the right kind of sense, anyway) for an amendment to jump into the hopper at 3:09 a.m. with 300 pages on top of 1,000 and expect the Representatives to vote on it with any degree of competence!

16. Claudia says:

Also after a bit of thought:

By the way, this TESTING and FULLY READING of all Bills, should be done in the LOCAL, & STATE GOVERNMENTS AS WELL AS CITY AND COUNTY or PARISH. We have to make sure that everyone knows fully what they are doing, and what they are impsoing on WE THE PEOPLE, therefore a comprehension and knowledge test should be mandatory and if they don't pass it, NO VOTING….

17. Celia in TX says:

Sorry, Mr. Raspberry,
    I am married to Mr. Sarcasm, and I still didn't catch it! LOL

18. Bodenzee says:

Claudia,
    I share your frustration. I've also long advocated that every voter should demonstrate that the know (not feel) at least one thing about each candidate they vote for.

Why should Sec. Browner need to read the Act? Barry wants it passed…that's enough reason for it to be voted…right?

We need to turn out all 535…while we still have a nation.

19. goddessdivine says:

I've read somewhere that the reps in Congress have until July 2nd to change their vote, if they want to. Does anyone know about this? And what can we do to persuade (read: force) some of these traitors to wake up and smell the destructive impact this bill will have?

Celia, Mr. Raspberry, Ms. Raspberry, Mr. Sarcasm–

Don't feel bad–I never get it. Ask Jeff! Bless his heart–he emailed me to let me know somebody was being sarcastic the other day. I'm letting the cat out of the bag because my density is laughable. Actually, pathetic!

21. tm says:

OT:

ACORN Rent-A-Mob Thugs to Harass Lenders in 14 Cities Tuesday

22. FEEL THE LOVE IN HERE? says:

We love you Gail! Don't ever change!

23. HEY PELOZI, YOU"RE BILLS MAKE ME DOZY says:

I get the hives when Jeff and his contributors pieces are over a screen long….. can you imagine 1,300 pages. There ought to be a law! and a very long one at that (sarcasm).

24. KINDERGARTEN KOP NANCY says:

goddessdivine,
    if those 8 changed their notes, Nancy would get some Dems to change their votes. It's all a KINDERGARTEN up there.

25. HR 2454 TOO MANY WORDS, NO CENTERFOLD says:

I wouldn't even read a 1,300 page Penthouse. Get real, Waxman and Pelosi.

26. SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP says:

CLEAN HOUSE 2010
    435 NEW CONGRESSMEN

Even tho Boehner, bless his heart, appeals to me a tad

verification word: nonkin
    What common sense is to this congress

The trick is that the legislation will kick into full effect *after* 2010 so the Democrats will blame Republicans for it.

28. TIME FOR AR COMMENTS CLASS says:

Todays class SARCASM 101

sarcasm:
    a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual

Thank you class. You were very attentive. Tonights homework is to read HR 2454 and outline it

29. PAGING DAVID LETTERMAN says:

Hey, I just realized it's possible to be funny without calling someones wardrobe slutty, or talking about statutory rape of a politicians daughter!!! OK, I am guilty of mocking Waxman's appearance, but come on… to quote Larry The Cable Guy, "I don't care who you are, that's FUNNY",

30. SEX IS MUCH BETTER says:

My boycott of David Letterman is going really well by the way. Anybody else finding it VERY EASY to ignore that guy? Let's come up with our TOP 10 list of things we are doing instead at that hour. Coitus would be somewhere in there, maybe even #1 depending on how hot your partner is.

@goddessdivine…Just read something about reps in Congress having until July 2nd to change their vote, if they want to, on Barack Obama's Teleprompter.

(Note: there are so many copies of the "original" blog out there, that I found that it is easiest to type just "barack obamas teleprompter", to get to the correct one. Then the screen that comes up should say "Barack Obama's Teleprompter's Blog" because there is no POTUS without TOTUS — in red white & blue, with a 'picture' of TOTUS at the top right.

See the comment by Mountain Mama on 6/29 at 7:42pm, under article titled "We're French, We're Here, Now Deal With It". Her post also gives the names, fax, and phone #'s of all eight Republicans who voted for the bill.

Everyone, fax and/or phone these reps and request they change their vote.

Jeff has a link to TOTUS on the sidebar.

33. IT'S GETTIN UGLY says:

My 87 year old father, Purple Heart winner, Silver Star winner, Battle of the Bulge 44, just got a nasty letter from my sister sternly advising him not to forward any more emails to her regarding Pelosi. The father that fought to end facism in Europe has a daughter embracing facism in America. So sad.

34. T.I.M. says:

As my wife Jackie points out, these lawyers wouldn't dare show up in court without reading and re-reading every page of a document, so how can they pass laws without fully knowing what the laws say? As to the energy czar, she, as do most or our "leaders" takes a vast topic, and gives a half-vast answer.

35. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

IT'S GETTIN UGLY said…

I'd like to interview your father! The man is an absolute hero. Hmmm … any chance you'd like to run the idea by him? E-mail me.

36. VIVA KENYA says:

Awesome, Rush just repeated his Obama and God both don't have a birth certificate joke.

37. CRAZY TO LEFT OF ME CRAZY TO RIGHT says:

Sorry I misspelled fascism, I was weepy at the time. And yes I'm the same guy that has a hippie for a brother with an aversion to plastic bags. Seems the middle children are always the normal ones. I'm 4 of 7!

38. TO ALL WHO FOUGHT TO END FASCISM says:

CORRECTION: you don't 'win' commendations, you are awarded them. There is a big distinction.

39. I MUST BE REINCARNATED says:

And my father-in-law had The USS Yorktown shot right out from under him and sunk at The Battle Of Midway. I just don't understand the people willing to phhhht away the hard fought liberty and freedoms we have. Even the financial and capitalistic freedoms. Just crazy to me.

40. WHEN GOOD CHILDREN GO BAD says:

you might be onto something doing a story of how these politics are making some families ache. Here we have two war hero families, and yet quite a few of the baby boomer children offspring are seeped in the politics of liberalism and collectivism. Sounds like Pulitzer Prize material to me.

41. STATE YOUR CASE says:

And one guess, group, which state that sister lives in? First correct answer wins a cyber dinner for two.

verification word: incher
    Larry's pet name for Barry

42. CALIFORNIA FASCISM says:

NO TAKERS on the State quiz.
    Answer: CALIFORNIA

who would have seen that?

Californians are mean to war heroes
    (even family member war heroes)