Betting On a Dead, Green Horse

By Robert Wallace
America’s Right

As my wife and I were in the car with our two little kids on the way to dinner tonight, I explained to her why I was pretty sure that the cap-and-trade bill would pass.

This is a bill that no one has read. It’s a bill that–no matter how politicians squabble about the specific numbers–will significantly damage our economy right when we most need our strength to recover from this recession. Only this morning, Democrat darling and Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine (a big supporter of cap-and-trade) responded to a caller on the local AM radio station who wanted to know if Kaine would be willing to fight for a state-wide cap-and-trade plan if the federal effort failed. No, said the Governor, he wouldn’t. Why not? Because if Virginia passed cap-and-trade and the rest of the country didn’t, we’d be at a serious economic disadvantage. Jobs would be lost, he said, and we would not be able to attract new companies and investment.

Of course, the exact same logic applies on an international level. If the United States passes cap-and-trade and the rest of the world doesn’t, we will be at a significant economic disadvantage. I’ve heard some Democrats argue that we need to pass it so that we will be able to assume a leadership role in international talks. Anyone that thinks that India, China, Russia, and other major economies are going to shoot themselves in the foot just because we did it first probably also thought Obama’s Cairo speech would lead to democratic advances in Iran and warm Iranian-American foreign relationships. Ha ha. The joke, apparently, is on all of us.

But it gets worse. Not only are repressive and autocratic regimes–Russia and China–going to laugh while America enters the race with our self-inflicted economic damage, but even Western nations are not going to be willing to follow us off the cliff, leaving America to look less like a courageous leader, and more like an anti-social lemming.

The reason for this is that the “scientific consensus” on global warming–which was always a political facade rather than a scientific reality–is crumbling. Prime Minister Kevin Rudd of Australia was elected largely based on promises to pass global warming related legislation, but that bill is set to languish in the Australian legislature due to lack of support.

Australian Senator Steve Fielding decided to do his homework before casting his vote. He traveled to America and asked the Obama administration to provide scientific evidence to reassure him that man-caused global warming is real, and that cap-and-trade type bills will have a real effect. He received no assurances. He went back to Australia and voted against the bill because “he would not risk job losses on ‘unconvincing green science.’”

As Kimberly Strassel details in her piece for The Wall Street Journal, Mr. Fielding is not a lone exception but just part of a resurgent tide of criticism against the global warming hysteria. All across the globe, a slew of scientists are standing up to intense political and professional pressure to conform to instead state the simple fact: global warming is a theory full of holes. The temperature has not risen globally since 2001.

All of this means that no Democrat Representative in their right mind would gamble their future voting for a bill based on a theory that is going downhill in relevance and credibility. However, the folks who voted for HR 2454 were not in their right minds. Instead, this is what they were thinking:

Obama is our hope for change. He has plunged this country trillions of dollars in debt on a huge gamble that he can solve the recession and reform our country at the same time. Already the numbers don’t look good. But if Obama fails, we’re all screwed.

That’s it. That’s all there is to it. Wishful thinking.

No miracle is going to come along. The economy is going to continue to suffer, global warming skepticism will increase, and Obama’s poll numbers will continue to inch down. The only thing going up around here is the federal debt.

Right now, though, the Democratic Party wagon is hitched to Obama’s star. A defeat for this bill would have severely damaged his credibility and image as a savior, and all Obama has is image. Without the image, the juggernaut evaporates and then the Democrats are left as the majority party presiding over the Great Depression 2.0 — stupid reactionary policies and all.

Certainly go down with a whimper now, hope for a miracle and probably go down in flames later. Tough call, right?

All I know right now is that, no matter how much I can understand the logic, nothing earns them any leeway in my eyes. They have betrayed this country and their constituents for the sake of their own short-term gain. This is the same kind of near-sighted greed that brought us Enron and AIG, but I can tell you right now that in my view of small government no elected representative in the country is too big to fail.

It’s time for these clowns–especially the eight Republican turncoats–to learn that there will be a reckoning for this behavior, and it’s time for us to provide that reckoning.

I can hardly wait for 2010.

—————
Robert Wallace has been writing for America’s Right since December 2008, and lives in Virginia with his wife and two children.

Comments

Robert, when the Obots receive their electric bills and their heating bills, they will understand what is happening (if this insane bill passes the Senate). I think you will be seeing a lot of Democrats voted out of office in 2010, and I really pray they are.

In the meantime, I am writing to the eight RINOs who voted for it and to the 39 or 40 Democrats who voted against it. We are keeping score out here.

Meanwhile, letters to the editor wouldn't hurt, either.

I know you are as sick over this as we are.

2. Let us move forward says:

TEA PARTY TIME!!

Big turnout needed to let Washington know how we feel about what they are doing!

3. Linda says:

Oops – sorry Robert. You're the one who wrote this article and to whom I should have addressed my wishful thinking agreement. I apologize.

4. sharon says:

I am so angry right now I cannot put it into words. I almost feel like crying. I hope that the GOP take advantage of this, and expose it every day for what it is. I want to start right now for the election of 2010. The republicans can start now on daily reporting of how Obama is a liar… How's that tax cut for 95% of the American people………

5. Claudia says:

IF there is a 2010 VOTE, by my thinking Obama will by then have instilled himself as a dictator (ala Chavez) and he will destroy our ability to hold an election or vote him out of office by degree and we will no longer have an America……. or THe United States of. Today, we lost more than just a vote on a stinking Bill, we have almost lost the war to stay alive as a Country that is viable. Today was more important than those stupid Democrats saving face, it was about the lifeblood of this country being able to get it together again.

6. tm says:

Received this email tonight, passing it along to all of you:

NATIONWIDE TEA PARTIES ON SATURDAY AT FEDERAL COURTHOUSES.

GRAB YOUR FLAGS & JOIN YOUR LOCAL TEA PARTY!

Tea Party Patriots are organizing nationwide protests for tomorrow, Saturday across the USA at federal courthouses- get the info at:

http://teapartypatriots.ning.com/ and http://www.teapartypatriots.org/

Make stop signs, ask “Where is our voice? Where is OUR choice?” Let the Cap and Traitors know that We The People are coming for them!

7. Linda says:

Claudia – I have been saying this ever since this imposter was elected by those obsessed by their illogical anger and hatred for the right. I, too, fear that free elections in this country are going to be a thing of the past. I can tell by your post that you are as distraught by the events of today as I am. The lifeblood of this country is slowly being drawn and with hard work, perhaps it will get a healthy transfusion in 2010 if, as you say, we are still allowed to. I firmly believe that it is the intent of this administration to do away with the 22nd Amendment and follow the lead of Hugo Chavez.

Have you noticed that when Nancy Pelosi wants to go on another taxpayer-paid vacation she rushes through horrible legislation? First the porkulus bill, and now this. That woman needs to be deplaned.

As I was staring at my computer at work today viewing the final vote before I left for home, I was shaking my head from side to side. One of the young attorneys I work for asked me what was the matter. I told him that I couldn't believe that something as important as the c&t which would change this country entirely could be allowed to be passed by only a simple majority. His answer was, "Well, you have to talk to Thomas Jefferson about that. He made the rules." I was dumbfounded and didn't know what to say, because these people who voted yes today obviously have no respect for not only Thomas Jefferson and the founding fathers, but for this country as a whole.

Wishful thinking – you're right Jeff. That's all this campaign, administration, those who stand to hugely profit financially, and those who have been bribed by governmental positions and threatened are basing their politics and policies on. After all, why should they care about you and me trying to pay our electric bill when they stand to make billions from this fiasco. Oh that's right . . . they're supposed to be working for you and me (but who cares about that – they surely don't). Trust me, in my 62 years of life I have found that wishful thinking does not produce diddly-squat. Unfortunately, this country cannot and will not survive on wishful thinking.

May God continue to bless the United States and get us out of this mess before it's too late – if it isn't already.

BTW: I called my Congressman's office this evening (I couldn't get through to his Washington office because the voicemail was full, but left him a message at his Newport Beach office – here in SoCal). He's John Campbell – a strong conservative who is also on the budget committee – and I merely thanked him for standing strong in his vote against the c&t and asked him where We The People go from here. While you are angry (well, anger doesn't begin to express how I feel) at those who voted in favor of this mess, perhaps you can take the time to call those who voted against it and thank them.

Next up – Sotomayor. I can't wait to see the excuses they make for her.

8. goddessdivine says:

Great piece Robert. I can't believe this worthless legislation made it through the House. Let's hope the Senate has a bit more sense.

It's interesting…..you know who stands to profit big time from this? Our one and only Al Gore. He has a company that is developing software for all this cap and trade mumbo jumbo. He will make billions. He won't care if his electric bills double; he'll be uber rich. Oh yeah, Pelosi stands to make a buck or two from her investments. Washington is so corrupt it's despicable.

9. John Feeny says:

First, let me sincerely apologize to everyone who worked so hard and all together yesterday…my comments regarding the 'French Revolution' were out of place. I was just so angry at the complete lack of common sense that I couldn't see straight. I had to go right to bed. I can't ever recall being that upset about a political issue. My remarks were off-base, so please forgive me. I'd never behave in such a fashion.
    So, we move forward. According to 'TM' at the end of the comment string from yesterday, there would at least seem to be some hope about this legislation being beaten in the Senate. I'm certainly not going to get my hopes up; I'm going to prepare for the same and hope for a surprise. Having summers off, however, certainly is beneficial, because I can devote my time to working with everyone here and making calls when I can. We also have the glimmer of hope in the BC issue. I'm not willing to let what we have here go down without a serious, serious struggle.
    Let's go to work.

Oh my, how do I start explaining it once again? The Congress will not listen to and will not care about what you say, write, phone, fax, or rant in the blogs. Except for very selected few, they have only one major concern right now AND IT IS NOT THEIR REELECTION CHANCES because they know that THERE WILL BE NO REELECTIONS in many of the disputed districts. There will be APPOINTMENTS by the Anointed One or one of His trusted lieutenants – and whether that appointment comes in form of massive electoral fraud, ballot box stuffing, "sudden" revelations in the MSM, huge financial edge over opponents or (yes, I believe it is also possible) unfortunate "accidents" will be decided on case by case basis. The decision will be made by people whose interests are not those of the country but personal gains, power trips, sociopolitical revenge or even foreign agenda.

Those of you who believe that the Democratic elites will give up long-term power controls because of being "patriotic" are naive at best and stupid at worst. Those of you who believe that "the will of the people cannot be denied" should wake up, turn the TV on and watch the Iranian electoral drama unfold. Those of you who believe in the legend of "thinking conservative majority" grossly underestimate the demographic rends, as well as immense and likely irreversible damage caused by the ongoing dumbing-down of the young generation. The clock is working against us, folks.

Seen this yet – from WND:

Obama's "certified Kenyan BC" has turned up on eBAY – bidding starts at $1,000. But one can have it immediately for $1,000,000!

Interesting read, at least.

12. PARTIES ARE WIMPY says:

Once again, screw 'tea parties', WHISKEY REBELLIONS. Get serious people.

Hey! Is this true?

8 Repubs who voted for Cap and Trade can still change their votes? Something like a little over 4 days left to do so.

14. Anna Leigh says:

This legislation is beyond disastrous and I am livid. It seems no one in Washington is watching out for the citizens of this country. They have become so arrogant they don't even bother reading a copy of the legislation before they vote. We are being regulated and indebted to death. What happened to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"?

I am sick and tired of calling and emailing my democratic congressman and senators week after week. It's becoming a full time job and, until Friday, I felt like I was banging my head on the wall. For the first time, my representative voted against a bill on the floor. I guess that's a start! Now, it's time to pound away on the senate. Then we can look forward to Obama-care and immigration legislation. Can't wait . . .

Americans need to seriously think about tossing these characters out of office – all of them! They've lost touch with the real world and no longer consider what they do to this country. I would like to have some semblance of it left intact for my children.

"Hope and change" – no kidding – it can work both ways!

15. Chuck in San Diego says:

The fight shall continue into the Senate. I hate to say it, but my two senators are "Senators" Boxer & Feinstein. Most know that I'm fighting a lost battle here. I'm hoping that when they cast their vote on the senate version of Cap & Trade, there will be a nagging little voice in their head about someone saying "NO". They don't know it but it will be their long ignored conscience of common sense talking from the grave.

16. John Feeny says:

I'm pasting part of a letter that I was just sent by a Lt. Colonel in the Marines. Given the defeat that we suffered yesterday, I was thinking that we all might take some inspiration from it:

On September 19th, 2008 in Ramadi, Iraqi, two enemies faced one another. Gunnery Sgt Michael Burghardt was on his third tour in Iraq. He was a legend in the bomb disposal world after winning the Bronze Star for disabling 64 IEDs and destroying 1,548 pieces of ordinance during his second tour.

His story was reported in the Omaha, Herald and sent to me by a correspondent. The parallels were too interesting to pass up, so I relay the story as reported in the newspaper.

Responding to a cry for help, the Gunny arrived at a chaotic scene after a bomb had killed four US soldiers. He chose not to wear a bulky bomb protection suit. 'You can't react to any sniper fire and you get tunnel-vision,' he explains. So, protected by just a helmet and standard-issue flak jacket, he began what bomb disposal officers term 'the longest walk', stepping gingerly into a 5 foot deep and 8 foot wide crater.

The earth shifted slightly and he saw a Senao base station with a wire leading from it .He cut the wire and used his 7 inch knife to probe the ground. 'I found a piece of red detonating cord between my legs,' he says. 'That's when I knew I was screwed.'

Realizing he had been sucked into a trap, he yelled at everyone to stay back. At that moment an insurgent, probably watching through binoculars, pressed a button on his mobile phone to detonate the secondary device. 'A chill went up the back of my neck and then the bomb exploded,' he recalls. 'As I was in the air I remember thinking, 'I don't believe they got me.' I was just ticked off they were able to do it. Then I was lying on the road, not able to feel anything from the waist down.'

His colleagues cut off his trousers to see how badly he was hurt. None could believe his legs were still there. 'My dad's a Vietnam vet who's paralyzed from the waist down,' says Burghardt. 'I was lying there thinking I didn't want to be in a wheelchair next to my dad and for him to see me like that. They started to cut away my pants and I felt a real sharp pain and blood trickling down. Then I wiggled my toes and I thought, 'Good, I'm in business.' As a stretcher was brought over, adrenaline and anger kicked in. I decided to walk to the helicopter. I wasn't going to let my team-mates see me being carried away on a stretcher.'

He stood and gave the insurgents who had blown him up a one-finger salute. I flipped them one. It was like, 'OK, I lost that round but I'll be back next week'.'

The Gunny’s injuries – burns and wounds to his legs and buttocks – kept him off duty for nearly a month and could have earned him a ticket home. But, like his father, who was awarded a Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts for being wounded in action in Vietnam, he stayed in Ramadi to engage in the battle.

Words to live Bye: Saying you’ll do something may take one kind of courage, but actually doing it requires a different type. Real bravery lies in deeds, not words. — Aesop

17. WHAT IS A REVOLUTION says:

But what do we mean by the American Revolution? Do we mean the American war? The Revolution was effected before the war commenced. The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations…This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution.

John Adams, letter to H. Niles, February 13, 1818

18. THE SENATE, THE DELIBERATIVE BODY. HOPEFULLY says:

"I don't think 60 matters, because I think it's a phony number," says Jennifer Duffy, a top analyst with the Cook Political Report. "They're going to lose a lot of Democratic votes on some issues. And the Republican moderates have been decimated, so there are fewer of them to pick up. The Democrats will be able to move a lot of the agenda. But when they get to the hard stuff — like big tax increases or health care — they're going to have to compromise."

19. KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS WORDS says:

Jeff's right. The gestapo are playing hardball with freedom of speech:

A blogger and Internet radio host from New Jersey was arrested Wednesday by the FBI on charges he threatened to kill three federal appellate judges in Chicago.

The federal charges, filed in Chicago, alleged white supremacist Hal Turner called for the judges' murders after they affirmed on June 2 a lower court decision to dismiss challenges to Chicago's ban on handguns.

The three have each served as chief judge of the 7th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals: Frank Easterbrook, the current chief judge; Richard Posner, one of the best-known appellate judges in the country and a prolific author; and William Bauer, a veteran jurist and onetime U.S. attorney.

The charges alleged Turner used his Web site to call the three "cunning, ruthless, untrustworthy, disloyal, unpatriotic, deceitful scum" who violated the Constitution. "Let me be the first to say this plainly: These judges deserve to be killed,"

20. MONOPOLY ANYONE? says:

I know you hate Larry and won't let this thru but I LOVE this Obama monopoly board at this webpage. ROFL if it wasn't so sadly true.http://larrysinclair-0926.blogspot.com/

21. Jennifer says:

"If, on the other hand, we can keep the dream of hope for change alive a little longer maybe, just maybe, a miracle will come along.

That’s it. That’s all there is to it. Wishful thinking."

Reminds me of a good Burgess Merideth line…"You can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one you get first."

22. Bobby K. says:

All I can say is that I am sick, now the Dems can watch the unemployment numbers grow and take, sadly, the credit for it. We are at a time in this country when the silent majority must stand up and be heard, they do as they like in Washington while we work and slave to pay for mistakes. be quite nomore, stand up and speak out. Republicans as well as Dems have done this to us, where are all the heros when you need them.
    Factories will shut, energy prices will go up, food cost will go up, when will people learn. God help us, because we are not helping ourselves.

23. PEACE OUT says:

Every single evening
    As I'm lying here in bed,
    This tiny little Prayer
    Keeps running through my head:

God bless all my family
    Wherever they may be,
    Keep them warm
    And safe from harm
    For they're so close to me.

And God, there is one more thing
    I wish that you could do;
    Hope you don't mind me asking,
    Please bless my computer too.

Now I know that it's unusual
    To Bless a motherboard,
    But listen just a second
    While I explain it to you, Lord.

You see, that little metal box
    Holds more than odds and ends;
    Inside those small compartments
    Rest so many of my friends.

I know so much about them
    By the kindness that they give,
    And this little scrap of metal
    Takes me in to where they live.

By faith is how I know them
    Much the same as you.
    We share in what life brings us
    And from that our friendships grew.

Please take an extra minute
    From your duties up above,
    To bless those here in Jeffrey's blog
    That's filled with so much love.

Wherever else this prayer may reach
    To each and every friend,
    Bless each blogging entry
    And each person who hits 'send'.

24. Linda says:

It's okay John. We were/are all upset.

Did you see my comment about the Judge's fax number on the birth certificate issue? I doctored up your letter a bit to fit my needs and then went to send it to the fax number you gave. That number nevr answered. Any clues or help you can give me in that regard?

25. Ian Thorpe says:

In Britain as in most of Europe the politicans are mking noises about emissions control but delaying doing anything. They know that if human activity is the main factor it started 300 years ago when Abraham Darby built the first modern blast furnace and kicked off the industrial revolution. Within a hundred years all the developed nations were burning coal. So if it took 300 years to get where we are, the process is not going to be reversed in five minutes, noi matter what as yet undeveloped technologies might offer.

26. GUIDO says:

It's one thing to bet on a horse (who cares the color), even bet on a dead one for all I care, just don't borrow money from the Chinese, or anybody, to do it.

27. BEN FRANKLIN says:

Ben Franklin telling us like it is.

28. LAST TRAIN TO BROKESVILLE says:
  29. Chuck in San Diego says:

Very interesting and enlightening web page:

When Did Your County's Jobs Disappear?

An interactive map of vanishing employment across the country, updated with the latest figures.

30. THERE'S NO MORE GOLD IN THEM THAR HILLS says:

The financial crisis in California grew worse this week as State Controller John Chiang warned that if legislators and Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger fail to come up with a budget-balancing package, he would begin paying California's bills with IOUs on July 2. The last time the state did this was during the Great Depression.

31. vrajavala says:

it won't pass the Senate.

32. I MISS ROSS PEROTS CHARTS says:

This breakout of the vote is neat, with maps, and pie charts too!

33. LITTLE BLACK BOOK NERD STYLE says:

Am I a nerd or a patriot for having the phone numbers for the White House, the Capitol and the Supreme Court in my cellphone?

Sharon,
    I totally can relate, it makes me angry, too! Let's not give up, though. Let work hard to let the Senators know how much we don't want this bill! It isn't over yet!! Don't let up, call, email, then get your friends, families to call. Educate…wow did John Boehner do an excellent job!

It was great to finally hear a little of what was in the bill. It like another IRS of energy…it will bring our country to it's knees. Obama knows this.

Do you think this could happen here if there is a forced attempt to change our Constitution?:

36. Linda says:

Did you all see Senator Inhofe on Fox news this morning (6/29)? He said there is definitely a smoking gun report from the EPA that's been squelched that says that global warming is a farce – he even named names. See his report on why he believes that it will be defeated in the Senate at: http://www.myfreedompost.com/2009/06/senator-jim-inhofe-says-cap-and-trade.html

37. TIPPER, WHERE'S MY TROPHY? says:

Linda,
    wouldn't that be S W E E T. Make Al Gore give back his Nobel Peace Prize.