The Infomercial

Okay, so because of America’s Right, I felt obligated to tune in at 10:00 p.m. to ABC for the 90-minute Obamacare infomercial broadcast from the White House. I credit my A.D.D. for allowing me to fade in and out a bit, picking up a few tidbits here and there as President Barack Obama, fresh from a healthy dose of Just For Men (was I the only one that noticed the still wet and glistening coating of Soul Glo?), answered planted questions from planted audience members during the rare moments he wasn’t soaking up Diane Sawyer’s loving gaze.

I didn’t make it too far into the programming, however. At one point, as Charlie Gibson was playing the role of detractor with one of those “tough questions” promised by ABC, he asked the president how, if the new plan provided coverage for the 47 million uninsured Americans, the rest of us could get doctor’s appointments. I was hoping that Gibson would look down his nose at the president like he looked down his nose at Sarah Palin last fall, but instead I think I saw in his trousers the beginning of the Bill Clinton-like manifestation of a Chris Matthews-esque chill running up his leg. The question that broke the camel’s back, at least for me, went something like this:

“Mr. President, if your health care reform plan will ensure that the 47 million or so Americans right now without health insurance will receive coverage,” Gibson asked, trying to sound tough, “how will people ever get doctor’s appointments? I mean, it’s already difficult enough to get an appointment, right? Now, if there aren’t all that many new doctors, but 47 million new patients, how will that work?”

Obviously, that’s not verbatim, but the point remains — why didn’t Charlie ask about how many of those “47 million Americans” are here in the United States illegally, or how many earn more than enough money to pay for coverage but choose not to?

I couldn’t take it any more. The entire production, from the set to the makeup to the seating, just reeked of the kind of staged crap-fest we saw in Monday’s press conference, when the White House and the Huffington Post staged a question on Iran.

ABC should be absolutely ashamed of itself. Not only for refusing advertising from anyone with a contrary point-of-view, but for so easily bending over and assuming the position for a scared, defensive administration obviously trying to stem the growing backlash from voters on both sides of the political spectrum.

Comments

I keep seeing news about how ABC, CBS, and NBC have low numbers in viewership. They can't figure it out?

How lame! Maybe it's because I'm from the "Show Me" state, but I don't think you have to be anywhere near Missouri to want truth and fair media. We're America and not used to propoganda. Spins, yes. Lies, no.

This is one time the only way to get their attention is to hit 'em in the pocketbook. Boycotts of sponsorship/advertisers may do it, but they may not be able to connect those dots either!

2. BEND OVER FOR AL AND NANCY says:

The energy tax would:

Reduce aggregate gross domestic product (GDP) by $9.6 trillion

Destroy an average of 1-3 million jobs, every year

Raise electricity rates 90 percent after adjusting for inflation

Raise inflation-adjusted gasoline prices by 74 percent

Raise residential natural gas prices by 55 percent

Raise an average family's annual energy bill by $1,500 annually

Increase the federal debt by 26 percent, which is $29,150 per person

3. Laurie says:

Jeff, thank you for listening…I was not going to and did not. But really, I think you could have written a piece just from common sense and knowledge of what the zero has done in the past. Thank you for wasting your time for us..I do appreciate all your hard work.

My hat is off to you, Jeff. I didn't want to get sick on a perfectly nice Wednesday night by watching a nauseating infomercial. Instead, I baked a chocolate cake with old-fashioned cooked chocolate icing for Friday night's meeting.

I knew that you would cover it for us, and I had already alerted my congressmen about Jim DeMint's alternative healthcare proposal.

Thank you for the coverage and for the time you devoted to it. (Hope it doesn't make you sick!)

Anonymous at 9:15 a.m.–

Trust me, they will be able to connect the dots, particularly if we contact them and name the sponsors that we are boycotting and tell them WHY!

The honeymoon with the press is beginning to fray. Even reporters are tired of it, so why not the viewers? Plus, a "hard" question from a disenchanted reporter draws attention to the news source.

Jeff, you're right.

Everyone will have healthcare, but there won't be any physicians to take care of them. At least, any that you'll be able to understand.

There's already a shortage of both physicians and nurses. Many physicians are at or nearing retirement age. Medical school enrollments are way down and the ratio of foreign students to American students has completely shifted.

7. Linda says:

And I DO love your Billy May (pitchman) BHO picture morph.

This is another "look over here, not over there" timings. What's really important at this moment is to get Congress to vote against the Cap and Trade (tax).

What a joke Charlie Gibson's "tough" question was.

Does he think for a minute that those 47 million persons – legal and illegal alike – are going without medical care now? Of course not; they just show up at the ER, which costs those of us who do pay for services about $1000per visit.

Just calculate that out for the woman in Texas who visted the local ER some 200-plus times.

10. Linda says:

Anonymous @ 1:03 p.m.: AGREED. EVERYONE call your Congresspersons NOW. Pelosi's railroading through a vote tomorrow and, from what my representative tells me, it could be at midnight, as she has done in the past, hoping that no one to oppose it will show up.

Last time I went to E/R, it was over $3,000. An IV, x-ray, and cat scan because I had gotten dehydrated from the flu.

{rolling eyes}

12. HAMMER TIME, NO, HASSLE TIME says:

Dropped by my representatives satellite office, the person was gone to the DR according to a note on the door, so I just left thru the mail slot what I had intended to deliver in person…. one of those pink slips from yourefired.org…. I'd love to be a fly on that wall this afternoon. John Tanner, 8th District Tennessee, you suck.

13. VERY SAD says: