VOTER ALERT: Cap-and-Trade Bill Set for FRIDAY Vote

CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN!!

According to The Wall Street Journal, the cap-and-trade legislation co-sponsored by California and Massachusetts Democrats Henry Waxman and Ed Markey will likely reach a vote on the House floor on Friday.

This bill is an absolute nightmare, and will result in nothing short of sheer destruction of American business and industry, and will exponentially increase energy costs for individuals and families of all income levels from coast to coast.

For background information, including an assessment of the likely costs of the legislation, check out a previous piece here at America’s Right, The Exponentially Increasing Costs of a Manufactured Environmental Crisis, as well as a companion piece, ‘Green’ Spokesmouths Need to Curb Emissions. A quick breakdown of some of the expected costs:

• The typical family of four will see its direct energy costs rise by over $1,500 per year.
  • Pain at the electric meter will cause consumers to reduce electricity consumption by 36 percent. Even with this cutback, the electric bill for a family of four will be $754 more that year and $12,200 more in total from 2012 to 2035.
  • The higher gasoline prices will have forced households to cut consumption by 15 percent, but a family of four will still pay $596 more that year and $7,500 more between 2012 and 2035.
  • In total, for the years 2012-2035, a family of four will see its direct energy costs rise by $22,800. These inflation-adjusted numbers do not include the indirect energy costs consumers will pay as producers are forced to raise the price of their products to reflect the higher costs of production. Nor does the $22,800 include the higher expenditure for such things as more energy-efficient cars and appliances or the disutility of driving smaller, less safe vehicles or the discomfort of using less heating and cooling.
  • As the economy adjusts to shrinking GDP and rising energy prices, employment will take a big hit. On average, employment is lower by 1,105,000 jobs. In some years cap and trade reduces employment by nearly 2.5 million jobs.
  • The negative economic impacts accumulate, and the national debt is no exception: Waxman-Markey will drive up the national debt 29 percent by 2035. This is 26 percent above what it would be without the legislation and represents an additional $29,150 per person, or $116,600 for a family of four. To reiterate, these burdens come after adjusting for inflation and are in addition to the $450,000 per family of federal debt that will accrue over this period even without cap and trade.

Find your representative’s office number HERE. Call it. Call it NOW. It doesn’t matter if they are a Democrat, a Republican, or somewhere in between. Let them know that their vote on this disastrous bill is a bona fide determinative factor when it comes to their re-election in 2010. Support means they’re going home, plain and simple.

I cannot stress enough exactly how devastating this piece of legislation is. Frankly, I am absolutely astounded that something so detrimental to our national economy is even being considered nonetheless voted upon, even by Democrats.

This is winnable for concerned Americans like you and like me. Let’s make sure this doesn’t make it out of the House.

CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN!!

Comments

I'm on it! First thing in the morning I'm getting out my phonebook and getting my speech ready. At 8 sharp I will start at the top of the list and make my way down…I'm not just calling my own rep. I'm calling every one of them in Texas. Thanks for the status…frightening though it is!

Yes, sir! Will do!

Agree, this is CRUCIAL. Please make contact with your representatives. Some of us have called, written, faxed and emailed over and over again.

If you do one thing, make this call, or you can fax yourself or fax through other groups like grassfire.org and others.

You can make a difference.

4. TJ says:

Well, I wrote my congressman, but it won't do one bit of good because he helped write the damned bill!

All I can hope it that he will not be re-elected in 2010. He's been in office now for 11 years and it's time to kick him out.

I absolutely hate living in a blue state.

5. Linda says:

Done (for whatever good it will do here on the 'left coast')! Thanks Jeff!

6. DEAR DIARY says:

My journal entry today for my grandchilds historical perspective.

Called my congressman today to implore him to vote against Cap & Trade bill. I know this call will do no good with this Congress but I did it for you. May God have mercy on this Republic. John Tanner of the 8th District of Tennessee, you will reap what you are sewing. We Tennesseans know how to deal with people like you.

7. Amy says:

This is the most urgent action item right now. You can visit this site to send a message to your rep for free:

The site also includes a lot of information about just how bad this tax is:

"If passed and signed into law, H.R. 2454 will further cripple our economy and drain your pockets in the following ways:
    It will raise your household electricity rates by 90 percent, gasoline by 74 percent, and residential natural gas prices by 55 percent by 2035, after adjusting for inflation.
    It imposes an annual burden of $144.8 billion per year on U.S. households, and it will reduce household earnings by a projected $37.8 billion.
    It will further cut U.S. employment levels by 965,000 jobs by reducing economic output by $136 billion per year-this translates to a $1,145 increase in energy costs per American household.
    It will force low-income households to disproportionately bear the across-the-board energy cost increase, as a larger percentage of the poor's income goes toward energy costs, as opposed to wealthier households.
    It sets the stage to effectively kill the coal industry as it will be taxed so heavily, it will not be able to sustain itself."

Hopefully, we can defeat this.

8. sharon says:

Thank you for the heads up, just called John Dingell from MI.!!

The CBO has released their predictions of estimated costs of this bill as $175 per yr per household. I find that hard to believe but where do we find accurate information that addresses the increase in gas prices and electricity,etc? People are seeing this $175 as nothing to get excited about. Peloser is trying to push it thru quickly and many have not even read it…imagine that!!

Unfortunately, when your rep is Markey like mine is, it is a lost cause to call. I am embarrassed to say I am from MA – home of Markey, Kerry, Kennedy and Frank as well as Mini Obama ( Gov Deval Patrick).
    God help us all.

Anonymous at 10:38 a.m.–

As I do not have your snail mail address, please accept this message in lieu of a sympathy card.

We do have a couple of genuine, natural-born rosteriums representing GA districts, but we have some really good folks from here in D.C., too. You are welcome to join us.

A friend sent this link which explains what's happening in D.C. and to the United States:

Again, I am very sorry that you live in the degree of frustration as you do. It's bad enough with the Chicago gangsters at the head of the government.

12. TAKE A BREATH says:

This administration must be on cocaine, never sleeping, forever pushing for as much expensive legislation as humanly possible in as little time as possible. Give it a damned rest Barry. My grandchild is already $330,000 in debt thanks to this government. Good God almighty knock it off.

Thanks, Amy, for the info about capwiz.com/eagleforum…that is an excellent site with a lot of information. There is an article that contradicts the CBO projections of what this would cost and there are other articles from Phyllis Schlafly, etc. about this bill. We need to get this info out to as many people as possible. You can send your e-mail to your congressman on this site also.

I would call my congressman, but unfortunately I live in New York and my time might as well be more effectively spent running into oncomming traffic.

Gail B – Thank you for your sympathy, I sure do need it here in MA. Mitt Romney left us with a large surplus and just like Obama, within months Deval Patrick ate it all up as well as our rainy day funds. I would love to move south to GA or the Carolinas but who the hell would buy my home. I am definitely stuck in the Twilight Zone. May God save America.

To all these ppl who say it will do no good or that "I live in a blue state…it will do no good"…thanks a lot for your efforts. Do you think that perhaps there's a reason you live in a blue state? Maybe your apathy has something to do with it? Ridiculous…every word counts…every opinion counts…at least they know you're out there and that things like the Tea Parties are much more effective than they'll give them credit for. These idiots deserve to know what they are doing has consequences of dissent. If you don't call, then they don't know. Their arrogance will remain. Their ego will stay intact. And, they'll think that everyone else agrees with them too. If it were me, I'd call just for that reason alone. I'd call to tell them what idiots they are and that it pisses me off and that I'm making every effort to get the word out. But, for some of you, I guess "just taking it" is a better excuse. I bet what I'm saying here will get more of a response out of you than those that are destroying this country will. If you want to comment about my statements, they will be duly ignored…just the least I can do with the complacent attitude shown here.

Hey Anonymous- I have called my MA reps many times on different issues. Try calling Markey yourself and tell the intern answering the phone you are from Malden, MA
    (his home town though he has not lived there in almost 30 yrs). They have no clue where it is nor do they care about my opinion, I just get the same talking points and hang up more frustrated. I have never missed an election vote since I was 18 and never voted for the incumbent unless it is for President. My one and only vote for a democRAT was when I was 18 and clueless, who keeps these idiots in office is beyond me.

18. UP, UP WITH PEOPLE says:

We need to follow Tehrans lead and hit the freakin streets.

Yeah, I know every vote counts but when you talk with and work with the clueless morons here in NY you just know it is a lost cause. I admit defeat as I run into traffic and unfortunately leave the future in the hands of other voters from other states. I'm not going to argue on the phone with these corrupt clowns this is NY, it is a joke.
    My time is better spent preparing to defend myself as we are next in line behind California to go bankrupt.

20. VTC says:

Please take the time to respond to Rep. Hastings post on The Hill's Congress blog. You don't have to use your real name if you're not comfortable doing so, nor are you required to sign up at the site. The comments are moderated but do get posted in fairly short order. I've noticed that a few people are finally starting to submit comments. There are many posts from other representatives on current issues at the blog. I don't know how effective a medium the blog will prove, but it can't hurt to give it a shot.

A better way forward on energy (Rep. Doc Hastings)
    June 25th, 2009

On Monday, Democrat Representatives Henry Waxman and Ed Markey released an updated 1,200 page National Energy Tax bill. Unfortunately, the bill continues to contain a variety of measures that will devastate our economy and worsen the recession…

Where can one go to see how each representative voted on Cap and Trade?

22. ROLL CALL says: