Christmas in July for Unions?

Assigned Reading: Union Members Exempt from New Health Benefits Tax
(FROM: Human Events)

I think it was Charles Krauthammer who today deemed this the “greatest gift ever for the unions.” It really is a nightmare, and represents a host of broken campaign promises and typical liberal attempts at buying votes in perpetuity.

Jed Babbin does an excellent job. Please give it a read. An excerpt:

Union members and their families who receive healthcare benefits paid for by their employers would be exempted from a new tax on healthcare under one option being proposed by Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mt), according to a report by the Fox Business Channel’s Peter Barnes.

Baucus’s plan would tax health care benefits to raise from $161.9 billion to $418 billion over ten years to fund the nationalized “government provider” of health care benefits President Obama and Democrats want. Peter Barnes told me, “There would be preferential treatment for unions” under one version of the Baucus proposal.

As shown on page 3 of the Baucus outline published by Fox News under two of Baucus’ four options, healthcare benefits provided under collective bargaining agreements dated on or before January 1, 2013 would be exempt from the tax.

This is a surefire way for the Democrats to cement continued support from labor unions by means of an enormous entitlement package sure to be rescinded under Republican control. Furthermore, imagine the expansion of the union rolls between the passage of the health care legislation and the end of 2012.

Comments

1. JOHN EDWARDS says:

This sounds like TWO Americas to me.

2. Uncle Rick says:

I know that this may make me sound like a nut-case tax resister, but please bear with me. I have, indeed, researched the tax code and cases for more than a dozen years and I have some confidence I could tell a tax accountant or lawyer a couple of things they don't know about the code and its application, but that's not for here.

Taxes are necessary, but the underlying principles are ill understood, even by those who should know them. The most fundamental principle is this: rights may not be taxed. Only privileges may be taxed by the one having the authority to grant, deny, revoke or modify the privilege. When this is understood, it sheds new light on such matters as the proposed tax on non-union private health insurance, any payroll tax on citizens (foreigners work here as a privilege, so taxing them is perfectly OK).

What do you say, Jeff? Am I way off the page?

3. BUT CIGS PAY FOR S-CHIP! says:

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama , who still struggles with his own addiction to cigarettes, on Monday signed into law the most sweeping federal anti-tobacco legislation to pass Congress in decades.
    The law gives the Food and Drug Administration broad authority to regulate the marketing and manufacture of tobacco products. It bans fruit- and spice-flavored cigarettes, slaps expansive new warnings on packages and gets rid of the monikers "light" and "low-tar."
    It also allows the FDA to order manufacturers to reduce — though not eliminate — the amount of the addictive chemical nicotine that's in cigarettes.

4. CAN'T BEAT EM? JOIN EM! says:

Here's the plan, let's unionize all the non union people creating a mammoth union of non-unioners….. ha ha and ACORN, OR WHATEVER ITS NEW NAME THIS WEEK IS, IS NOT WELCOME.

5. cal says:

This is such bull****!!! I also heard that congress is planning to exempt themselves and all federal employees from nationalized healthcare. This just proves they know that socialized medicine is going to be a disaster for us lay people. The elites in Washington want no part of it when it comes to their own personal health.

Word verification: cured

How ironic. I doubt many people are going to get cured if we get stuck with socialized medicine!!!

6. Claudia says:

I just feel like I am in the middle of the "twilight zone" and can't find my way out, cause everywhere I look, I run into smoke and mirrors…… and cons who are trying to sell me on the latest psycho farce.

7. Linda says:

So I guess they really DO want a revolution and/or civil war, don't they!!! They're surely going to get it.

8. TODAY, KIDS, WE...... says:

This 'one' is gonna be so much more interesting than the one in 1776…. keep journals for the grandkids people!!!!!

9. WE NEED YOU SARAH says:

I am SOOOOO ready for a president that wears 'slutty' dresses and who has children that get 'knocked up' at the baseball stadium, as that pervert Letterman who I no longer watch says, than more of this bullsh**.

10. MAIL ONE TODAY says:

2010 – CLEAN HOUSE
    435 NEW congressmen

11. I HEAR RED LOOKS NICE says:

You civilians driving black SUV's might wanna be trading soon.

12. Edith says:

So now the "One" is bucking for Government control over our health care.I am at loss of words to describe my dismay as to what already has and is still transpiring to this once freedom of choice loving Nation.The "One" is suffering from Delusions of Grandeur to think only he knows what is best for us.Anyone in disagreement with his nightmares he wants to bestow upon our Nation because only he knows what is best gets chastized by him or his mouthpieces .Any opposition to his plans, regardless of how flawed, is run over by the democratic steamroller machine.
    We the people are no longer represented by our elected Officials as they bow to the"One" who believes he is all knowing.What an egotistical ass (with 4 legs)

Cal said, "This is such bull****!!! I also heard that congress is planning to exempt themselves and all federal employees from nationalized healthcare."

Jeff, isn't this discriminatory? Is it constitutional? Are we entitled to equal protection under the law or not?

Linda said…
    "So I guess they really DO want a revolution and/or civil war, don't they!!!"

Yes, Ma'am, they do. Then Obama/Soetoro can declare martial law, and Congress can't do ANYTHING FOR SIX MONTHS!

No way that I pay and the UAW workers don't! Lock and Load it's going to be a hell of a ride.

16. MY GILLY SUITS IN THE CLEANERS says:

I cry foul, why can 'lock&load' be said, but not 'calculate for wind when using a 30.06'?

Free speech is a wonderful thing, but it can be a dangerous thing as well. You know, like crying "Fire" in a packed theater? I wouldn't do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Jeff, but I believe that the threat of violence is a prosecutable felony offense, depending on what form it takes and who it is aimed at, so I wouldn't do that, either.

Old Bob

18. ARMOR OF GOD says:

Bob, self defense is a wonderful thing. I'm on 19 acres, so a 30.06 gives me that much more time to defend.