Barack Obama, Political Virgin

The president’s use of ABC News to woo the American people on health care will fall short, backfire

Barack Obama is all but guaranteeing himself a one-term presidency. Several polls continue to show that, despite the rhetoric from the mainstream press, the United States of America continues to be a center-right nation, and his administration and Democratic Party leadership have acted like a pimply-faced teenager in a hotel room on prom night — after years of planning and thinking they know what they’re doing, they finally find a willing participant in an ignorant electorate and a climate ripe for romance, only to prematurely ejaculate and ruin their chances for dates to come.

After only five months, the American people are starting to awaken and realize that they own three-quarters of General Motors, and small- and medium-sized stakes in banks large and small. They see an energy bill that will increase the regulatory and tax burden on American business and industry, and a healthcare bill that will restrict their freedom, surround them in red tape, and cost them the top-of-the-line care guaranteed by a free market health care system the envy of the world. Government has rooted itself in every aspect of their daily lives, and a country founded on the principles of limited government and power to the people will not take it for much longer.

News that ABC News will broadcast what will essentially turn out to be one large infomercial on Obama’s Health Care plan from the Blue Room in the White House will only serve to hasten this administration’s departure from the arms of its formerly willing electorate. The love is waning, the backlash is growing, and support for President Barack Obama and this Congress is inversely proportional to the expansion of government scope and reach.

As John Cardillo, an Internet security guru and [very] occasional contributor to America’s Right, pointed out to me in a message this morning, this is actually a good thing. Sponsors will rebel, and the networks are too dependent on advertising. ABC, as well as this administration, is “trying something that will bite them in the ass.” The rest of Cardillo’s message:

Doctors booed Obama at a meeting last week. The insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, and AMA are all dead set against his plan. He’s about to feel like Hillary when she pitched this nonsense in the 1990s. Americans will not support his Global War on Terror policies after the next attack — and with the way he’s going, there will be another attack. That alone will be his downfall. Right-leaning Democrats know this, and they also know that his economic policies are disastrous.

Twenty-three State attorneys general came out against his proposed gun legislationHis Supreme Court nominee is under fire. He showed ineptitude in his early cabinet picks. Obama’s political capital is dwindling, and the Democrat party is very nervous about 2010 and 2012. They won’t admit this yet, but he’s done too much too fast. None of it good.

His poll numbers are falling fast. Obama is below 50 percent on his handling of the economy and spending. His personal likability is still around 60 percent, but so was George W. Bush’s even when his issue-specific polling was in the 40s. Yesterday, Gallup reported that conservatives, as an ideological group, are the largest in the US, and comprise 40 percent of the country. That’s the highest its been since 2004. Liberals remained constant at 21 percent. This will mean quite a bit come 2010.

Rush Limbaugh continues to enjoy the largest audience in radio and his numbers are growing. Bill O’Reilly and Sean Hannity beat all of MSNBC in ratings. In other words, right-leaning hosts are on the rise, and the left is falling flat or down.

The Wall Street Journal is enjoying increased revenue while every other newspaper is struggling to stay alive.

We’ll have to weather a little storm for some months to come, but I think Obama and this Congress are the best things to happen to the right since Reagan.

I’ve been saying as much since the election. Back in November, perhaps even on election night, I noted that an Obama presidency would leave the American public like the survivor of a particularly wicked automobile accident — grateful to have survived, reinvigorated with a new-found respect for life.

Last year, I cited the well-known bi-partisan Battleground Poll to hammer home the point that the GOP need not moderate, that John McCain could coast to victory if he only spoke to the conservative base of his party rather than actively courted new voters from groups like La Raza. The Battleground Poll, like yesterday’s Gallup Poll cited by John and by myself, confirms that this nation does indeed settle to the right — for that reason, because America is full of people who have faith in God and faith in themselves, this continued culture of government intervention simply will not stand.

And this latest move by the White House and the mainstream press will only remind the American people of the control this administration and Congress has over everything around them. Regardless of how well ABC News disguises its propaganda with token opposition talking points, the report from the Blue Room will still be received as just that . . . propaganda.

The backlash is here. This is a completely defensive move by a White House increasingly found on its heels. Obama’s recent health care speech in Wisconsin was similarly defensive, not to mention embarrassing. See, this president is a man who has never, ever been truly opposed in anything he has ever done. He skated into Illinois public office by getting his rivals tossed from the ballot, and he skated into the White House not because of his policies but because of his empty rhetoric, combined with a disillusioned, war-weary, Bush-lashed American public and a politically inept Republican on the other end of the ballot.

But, just like a pitcher who has thrown seven no-hit innings only to have a frozen-rope double slapped into left-center may struggle through the next few batters to come, Obama is seeing adversity–true, ideological adversity–for the first time in his life. As a result, the White House organizes a cheesy, Obot-packed town hall-style meeting in Wisconsin, and then asks a slobbering Charlie Gibson to quit dry-humping the presidential leg and invites him and his organization to the White House.

Yes, this move by the president and his administration is an overt manipulation of an Obama-loving mainstream press. Yes, it is nothing short of disgusting for a nation founded on a limited federal government and a free press, and yes, Edward R. Murrow is rolling in his grave. But it is the overt nature of this move which will continue to alienate an American public already being alienated.

Therefore, as vigorously as I am shaking my head because of how far we’ve fallen from the tree of Liberty and the tenets of objective journalism, I remain confident out of knowledge that the upcoming ABC News broadcast from the White House is the political equivalent of that pimply-faced teenager leaving message after message on his disappointed date’s voicemail:

“Please come back.”

But she won’t. She’ll look instead to the upperclassmen in the room, the wiser folk who know what they’re doing. And the same thing goes for the American people — at the end of the day, no matter the romance and idealism which started it, nobody wants a 46-year-old political virgin.

—————
Absolutely phenomenal image from Mad Magazine. I laugh my head off every single time I see it.

Comments

The Best Piece you have done to date Jeff
    Bravo

Oh, my gosh! At The Drudge Report:

ABC has turned its news programming over to the White House and will broadcast from the Blue Room!

I really cannot even believe this ABC gig in the White House…okay, maybe I can! But it makes me sooooooo angry! Rush is right when he calls them the "state run media." Pathetic…this makes me feel kind of panicked for our country. Everything is so out of control.

Words fail me..

Except for one thing: I hope that all those who voted for this jerk enjoy their rationed care as they wait for their dialysis, chemo, heart surgery.

Lisa in TX

Lisa in TX

4. Cash Gifting Practice says:

Nice article. Obama has shown is greenness. I was willing to give him a chance but it looks like he's a 1 term guy. Ryan

5. IT'S ALL ABOUT HIM says:

And he isn't using protection on us either.

6. Laurie says:

I agree with Anonymous 11:26…BRAVO Jeff

7. COMRADES! says:

ABC
    ..Assisting
    …Baracks
    ….Communism

I LOVE the Mad Magazine picture!

9. Blad_Rnr says:

The problem as I see it is that I don't think a lot of what he has done can be overturned. We now answer to the EU, his SC nominee will be there for years to come, he has spent us into the poor house that no one will be able to get us out of, and he still has the media in his hip pocket. Anyone who runs against him will have to contend with that. I want to be optimistic, but this will take years and a lot of blood, sweat and tears to undo, and we will be lucky to find a true conservative who won't back down from doing the right thing if he/she does get into office. Call me less than enthusiastic.

Here's a smile for us:

From a link in Washington Beat newsletter:

"BIDEN'S NEXT BID

"Vice President Joe Biden is open to running for President, despite his failure to win his party's nomination in 2009 and 1988. Biden would be 73 on Election Day in 2016, assuming Obama wins a second term."

Do they REALLY think America wants another dose of poison?

Great article, Jeff one of your best. A little "earthy", but descriptively well put.

I hope that your optimism is as well placed. By all rights, it should be, but I'll believe it when I see it in 2010 and 2012. Call me paranoid if you will, but I believe that the "new world order" has invested too much in this "remaking of America" to go down in a routine election cycle.

The good news is that we won't have to wait too long to know the answer. November of 2010 is less than eighteen months away, so fasten your seatbelts. If I'm right, severe turbulence is dead ahead.

Old Bob

P.S. My observation of the recent termination of car dealers in my area only makes sense if the criteria was to disenfranchise dealers who had competing, non-UAW-made, automobile brands in their lineup. Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe it's only a conincidence in this area.

12. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

Gail,

My bet is that Biden doesn't even make the ticket in 2012. Obama will replace him, possibly even with Hillary Clinton.

More on that later … must work now.

I do believe ABC, MSNBC and Obama'a chickens are getting ready
    to come home to roost.

14. AMTRAK JOE says:

Bidens IQ is wayyyyyy toooo high to keep him intellectually challenged as president.

verification word: pasewer
    What Alren Specter crawled out of

15. PRAISE OBAMA says:

TWO blatant errors in your reporting.
    Dieties DO NOT get pimples, nor ejaculate.

16. JEFFERSONIAN JUSTICE? says:

ALEXANDRIA, Va. – Prosecutors say a Louisiana congressman was more than $60,000 in debt during the time he is accused of concocting a series of bribery schemes.

Opening statements started Tuesday in the trial of William Jefferson, a Democrat who represented parts of New Orleans. Federal agents found $90,000 in cash in his freezer, and he is charged with soliciting bribes, money laundering and other crimes.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Mark Lytle suggested that Jefferson's debts may have motivated him to seek bribes. In addition to $62,000 in credit card debt, Lytle said Jefferson and his wife had about $40,000 in bounced check fees and other penalties on their bank accounts.

The defense is scheduled to give its opening statement in the afternoon. The trial is expected to last about a month.

Seems to be some Ron Paul fanatics are voting over and over again here. Exactly why I never cared for Ron Paul. His supporters verge on being crazy, not honest and realistic. Obama supporters vs. Ron Paul supporters? Close call for opposite ends of wierdness.

18. NO WITCH HUNTS HERE says:

Oh the days of McCarthy when you were shunned if even slightly communist, now you're shunned if not communist enough. Dasvidanya Amerika.

19. OBAMA VOTER? PROBABLY says:

On May 21, a judge of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California dismissed a complaint filed by a woman who said she had purchased "Cap'n Crunch with Crunch Berries" because she believed it contained real fruit. The plaintiff, Janine Sugawara, alleged that she had only recently learned to her dismay that said "berries" were in fact simply brightly-colored cereal balls, and that although the product did contain some strawberry fruit concentrate, it was not otherwise redeemed by fruit. She sued, on behalf of herself and all similarly situated consumers, some of whom may believe that there are fields somewhere in our land thronged by crunchberry bushes.

I want to be optimistic but the worst thing we can do is underestimate Obama and his cohorts. They are working behind the scenes to INSURE that they never lose power..they will use every illegal tactic that they can come up with to neutralize the opposition. In order to wrestle our government out of their web of control, we will need monumental action and involvement from the citizens, conservative media and conservative lawmakers. It will be the most difficult thing we have been called on to do in a long time. We must have God's help to restore our nation. I am encouraged and I have faith in the American people.

Great thoughts from Mike Huckabee; Obama and Biden should practice what they preach before they ask us to follow their leadership.

According to tax returns, Obama gave less than 6% to charity in 2008. Biden, less than 1%. Yet they want us to share the wealth?

Oh, I'm adding some more of Huckabee's comments. Just too good to leave off.

"If I reach into my pocket and give something that is mine, that is charity; if I reach into your pocket and use it as if it's mine, that's theft.

But what about when the government takes what's mine, keeps a large part of it and then gives some of it away to others and then the government takes credit for its generosity with my money?

Whether the government is giving the money to a bank, insurance company, car maker or to someone in my neighborhood who bought more house than he could afford to pay for, it's still frustrating. Those who created our government didn't create it to be a charitable organization.

And if the government takes more money from the people who want to be generous and give above Joe Biden's 0.3 percent, then we've not just covered our neighbor's mortgage and a car-maker's blunders, but we've made Joe Biden's charitable contributions for him too."

23. tm says:

Zero is on overtime campaigning on ruining our healthcare system and IT ISN"T WORKING.
    Here's what we can do about it:
    Boycott any products advertised on ABC News.
    Call ABC News at: (212) 456-7777. They will tell you that you have to leave a message with the recording thing, just tell them to connect you with the office of ABC News Senior Vice President Kerry Smith, they will. You might get an answering machine or you might get a person. BE SURE AND TELL THEM THAT YOU AND MILLIONS OF OTHERS WILL BE TUNING OUT!

PRAISE OBAMA said…

"TWO blatant errors in your reporting.

"Dieties (sic) DO NOT get pimples, nor ejaculate."

Maybe deities don't, but the current administration and Democratic Party leadership probably do, right along with you!

Jeff did not err in this.

25. HA HA HA HA HA says:

ha ha ha, once again, Gail misses my sarcasm… ha ha ha ha

Wake up from your conservative reverie, folks! Take a hard, sober look outside the USA borders, as well as into history book. NOT A SINGLE POLITICAL LEADER WHO REACHED THE POINT OF PERSONALLY CONTROLLING MEDIA OUTLETS HAS EVER LOST AN ELECTION! Vladimir Putin, Hugo Chavez, Lukashenko in Byelorussia, North Korean tyrants… So get a hint – nothing will happen in 2012, regardless of how many conservatives go to pull the lever, unless Obama is openly defied. He already proved many times that he's perfectly willing to openly bend the laws – what makes you think he won't do it again?

27. Celia in TX says:

I wrote to ABC and complained about their programmng and signed it One Amongst Many Who Has Simply Turned You Off.

They sent me an email back with some spin included. They're gonna spin themselves to death.

Celia in TX

word verification whiessi….define as the sound of old, washed-up television networks

Celia (TX), I emailed ABC, too, but have not received a reply.

Did you snail mail or email? If you have an email address for ABC, please put it in a comment.

Thanks-

Sarcastic One–

Either grow up or go somewhere else to play your games, please.

Thanks.

30. Celia in TX says:

Gail, I just used the contact us link of abc.com.

31. YAWNNNNNNN says:

Hey Gail, grow a sense of humor. If it were just your diatribes and Old Bobs in here this place would be a bore.

32. ANONYMESS says:

Jeff, quite a site administrator you hired. Go Gail. Enjoy your Jeff crush.

33. Celia in TX says:
  34. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

[b]ANONYMESS said…

Jeff, quite a site administrator you hired. Go Gail. Enjoy your Jeff crush.[/b]

I wish I could afford someone.

Gail, though … as much as I appreciate you looking out for me, you DID miss the sarcasm!

And to the other guy — it IS "deities." "Dieties" is something that Michael Moore, Rosie O'Donnell and myself desperately need to do.

Thanks, Celia in TX.

google d i e t i e s

37. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

Anonymous said…

google d i e t i e s

No kidding. I had no idea the two were interchangeable.

38. Celia in TX says:

that other email was kicked back to me, try this abc.mediarelations@abc.com

Last night I sent another email, a "playful" one recommended by another website I frequent. It was followed by a list of every tea party in the country…too many to list here.

Now that you have opened up shop inside the White House we also need you to cover the Great American Spirit of it's ordinary citizens by planning national coverage of the following Independence Day Tea Parties. They will be going on all around our Nation on the 4th of July, 2009. We do apologize
    that this list is limited but still should give you time to plan massive coverage. We are just ordinary American Loving Citizens that work long hard days trying to make our own way. A little help from ABC that we have supported on our TV's for years would certainly be appreciated.

We will be looking forward to Spending the 4th of July with ABC!

Sincerely,

Hundreds of Thousands of Americans

I certainly am pleased to hear that without my "diatribes" this site would be a bore.

Any contribution to the enjoyment of others is deeply gratifying to me.

Perhaps the writer of that particular comment would be kind enough to elucidate what, in his/her mind, constitutes a "diatribe" so that I could focus in on that like a laser beam rather than simply speak the truth as I see it.

Old Bob

40. goddessdivine says:

I'll still sleep with one eye open. I don't trust the Obama-wan nor his cohorts one iota. He will do what it takes to stay in power and get what he wants, like firing inspector generals who might get in his way. And unfortunately there are too many idiotic registered voters who will keep this guy in. Even if we do get rid of Obama after one term, he will have done so much damage it will take decades to repair said damages.

But oh how I hope you're right!

41. ENGLISH CLASS SUCKS says:

actually they are not interchangeable, it's just that there is a lot of wrong stuff out there….(imagine that) I'll be more careful using google as my quick and dirty typo spell checker.