Maintaining Proper Discourse Following Today’s Shooting

My heart goes out to those innocent people hurt and killed in this afternoon’s shooting at the National Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C. I can neither imagine the realization that an armed madman is in your midst, nor can I comprehend the mentality it takes to commit such violent acts.

So far, we’ve learned that the gunman was James Von Brunn, an 89-year-old white supremacist and former World War II PT-boat captain who had a history of denying the Holocaust and overtly showing hatred toward Jews. Von Brunn, by all accounts, acted by himself.

Already, the issue is being politicized. At about 3:30 p.m., Fox News Channel’s Shepard Smith attributed the shooting to the “hate” which has emerged in America following the election of our first black president. There are still people out there who question his citizenship, there are still people out there who believe that he is a Muslim, Smith said, “and this has to stop.”

Smith also mentioned that, because Von Brunn was a PT boat captain in World War II and because he is a white supremacist, and also given the nature of the killing of abortionist George Tiller nearly two weeks ago, the Department of Homeland Security was justified in warning people, through an assessment released only a few months ago, to keep an eye on returning veterans in particular as possible “right-wing extremists.”

First, this shooting has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Barack Obama, with Barack Obama’s race, or Barack Obama’s national origin. Nothing. Yes, I think the citizenship issue has been perverted by the conspiratorial fringe of the American political right. Yes, I think the allegations that Obama is a Muslim are ridiculous. But it doesn’t matter — this was a bitter, hateful, prejudiced old man who allowed his hate to manifest and ruthlessly killed one man and injured others. This man hates Jews. He had a Web site showing his hate for Jews. He hated Jews long before Barack Obama took his place behind the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office; leave the president out of it.

Second, this by no means validates Janet Napolitano’s boneheaded DHS assessment. Yes, the people included in the assessment can become radicalized by a down economy. Yes, white supremacists by their very nature can be considered more likely to act out violently. But because this man served on a boat 65 years ago and, since then, has shown his hate and prejudice by no means is an indictment of all returning military veterans as possible extremists, just like the killer of abortionist George Tiller should not be an indictment of all people who feel adamantly about the sanctity of unborn life. After all, another group included in the assessment were those who were concerned about the expansion of government — I fit that profile, yet I would never, ever consider acting violently because of it.

Let’s keep the discourse where it belongs — security, the eradication of hate, and prayers needed for the family of the 39-year-old security guard killed in the attack.

Comments

1. Moonbeam says:

Very well stated, Jeff.

What angered me most was Sheps bowing to "Obama". He's very concerned that the truth is coming out.

A good read..

2. LOSING FAITH IN SCHREIBER says:

Jeff said: "Yes, I think the citizenship issue has been perverted by the conspiratorial fringe of the American political right."

LOAD OF CRAP. Why are such efforts in place to hide ALL documentation of this mans upbringing and life. Get real, Jeff.

3. Jennifer says:

I agree with your overall assessmnet (except for the Obama's citizenship and the fact I reallly don't think he's a Christian either). Democrats will be all over this one. Let's just hope Joe Biden delivers the message. By the time he's done their will be 50 people dead and Mitt Romney will have been the shooter. That should take some attention off Republicans.

Right on, Jeff.

I watched the same program and found myself hollering at Shep for conflating a whole bunch of unrelated "facts" to justify his opinion that we're all a bunch of nutcakes.

I was especially interested in his treatment of the email that he read from one of his viewers. He was incensed by it, but, truthfully, it pretty well stated what most conservtives are feeling.

I wonder if he's had any recent conversations with Glenn Beck? It sounded to me like Shep would park Glenn in the looney house with the rest of us.

No wonder Shep's ratings are at the bottom of the list of afternoon/evening programs on Fox News. I think that even their early morning show beats him. Maybe he should move on to CNN or MSNBC.

Old Bob

he is a muslim and we do deserve to see his birth certificate it is that simple

6. HEY FOX CAN HIM says:

Shep CREEPS me out and I haven't watched him in ages.

7. CALL EM LIKE YOU SEE EM says:

from Pamela Geller's WorldNetDaily article:

Americans rely on our media to vet our candidates. But the media morphed in 2008. Instead of investigative journalism, the American people were victims of activist propagandizing. Obama was never vetted. His lies were never exposed.

And so now we have our first Muslim presidency, just eight years after 9/11. The media can spin their subjugation and adulation a million different ways, but America did not vote for a "Muslim presidency," which is what this is. Everything this president has done so far has helped foster America's submission to Islam.

The Cairo speech was just the beginning. Imagine what the next three and a half years will bring to what Obama has called "one of the largest Muslim countries in the world."

8. Jan says:

So how do we reconcile the shooting in Arkansas based on anger over how Muslims are treated? According to this ideology can we blame this on the entire religion? What a moron. Sorry, I know I should be more gentle in my response but I am so tired of people spewing their ignorance when so many in America buy whatever the media headline indicates.

9. FRAUD 101 says:

Wow, I am a 57 year old software engineer, sunday school teachin, ukulele teachin, dog & cat lovin, guy next door…… but I AM smart enough to SMELL A RAT!, and if you, Jeff Schreiber, wanna label me a pervert of the conspiratorial fringe right, it says more about you than it does me. Anybody hiding things as vigorously as Barry Soetoro is gaming the system. Whatever comes of this, it rests on his shoulders.

Barry Soetoro is his real name and im in love jesue he truly is my saviuor amen the blacks is taking all our women and making brown babies the world is cuming to an end just like palin said they not taking my guns because i know jesus and he is in my life that man is no christian he dont love jesus him and that black rev. wright o i love god and no one can take my bible

1st. Barak Obama's Grandmother stated that she was there at the Kenyan hospital when he was born.
    2nd. I have worked in Moslem countries and know quite a few that aren't radically inclined. They all believe because Obama was raised as a Muslim he still is a Muslim. You cannot just quit the Muslim faith without some severe consequence happening.
    3rd. If he was adopted then his name is Barry Soetoro and he is not qualified to be President.
    4th. He has admitted he held English and later Kenyan citizenship which also disqualifies him. Dual citizens are prohibited from the offices of President and V.P.
    5th. We who believe he has hidden or faked his records should be heard and he should have to open these records to prove he is qualified. I had to submit to government investigation before I was able to get a Secret clearance to work on government sites. Obama never has been investigated.
    6th. When the truth is finally found out what will happen if all of us were right and it is proven he is a fake and a liar?
    The verification word was conin,
    just add a g and you have the correct meaning. Coning…

How about putting aside your "too clever by half" snideness and engage in a real conversation? Or is that over your head?

Come to think of it, that may have been a serious comment by you expressed in your normal way of speaking and here I am, the cynic that I am, thinking that there was something malevolent about it.

I'm really sorry. The last thing that I would want to do is insult someone who loves Jesus as I do.

Old Bob

13. Celia in TX is sad says:

I absolutely disagree with this statement, Jeff! "Yes, I think the citizenship issue has been perverted by the conspiratorial fringe of the American political right."

The only people who have perverted this issue are Obama and his cronies…they are exhausting every means at their disposal to keep this quiet, away from the light, sparing no expense….all to make it seem that people who give it attention are wearing tinfoil hats. That people who bring it up are laughed at. From the sounds of it, I guess they're doing a pretty good job.

You know, I've read this blog for a long time, and I was disappointed that you have never addressed this head-on, but I begrudgingly accepted that you just weren't wanting your website to be part of the tinfoil hat club (me, proud member!!)

But then to come on here today with that particular sentence, that was hard to take, and I think you've alienated a bunch of us who DO think it is a very, VERY critical issue….honestly and without a whacked-out conspiracy theorist mentality…just honest, American citizens who want a president who's honest with us.

Very hurt, Jeff, very hurt….

Speaking of eligibility issue, there was a curious thought to cross my mind today. Say, Obama's birth certificate is eventually discovered and proven fake or Kenyan. His name will be stricken from Presidential records and he'll likely flee or land in jail. Consequently, all laws signed by Barack Obama will become null and void. Would it also mean that USA won't have to repay Chinese loans signed by the Usurper?

15. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

Celia,

I've addressed the issue in great detail, and actually broke the story on the first lawsuit filed.

However, things have gotten out of control. The legal actions have gotten far-fetched. The whole process was not handled correctly from the beginning.

Do I believe there are still unanswered questions? Absolutely. But the way that certain people are going about it–disseminating false stories and statements in an attempt to continue the attention, for example–does more harm than good.

There are valid questions there, but the controversy should have been handled differently.

16. SARGE, I"M OUT!! says:

OH, China will get their money….. they have more soldiers than we do bullets.

17. SLICK BARRY says:

It depends on what the meaning of the word was, was.

18. Celia in TX says:

Jeff, I see where you're coming from, and I know of a few whom you're speaking of (lawsuits, etc.). My apologies, but it seemed from your sentence that you felt ANYONE who was hanging onto that question was part of the "conspiratorial fringe of the American political right"

Holy mackerel, the comment that I made earlier didn't include the to whom I was addressing it.. I was responding to the writer of that half-witted, mocking, racist, "comment" about "lovin jesus" and "the blacks takin all our women".

Hope that you didn't think that it was aimed at you, Jeff, or any of the other regular commentors.

Old Bob

The POTUS can be purple and orange STRIPED for all I care, if he would stop digging us into financial holes with every backhoe he can find!

That shooting had nothing whatsoever to do with Obama, and the leftists know it.

I'm so sick of them!

…as long as (s)he is a natural-born citizen, that is.

Wow…lots of different topics in this one article…
    Okay, first…I am so so sorry for the family who lost their loved one because of this maniac's rage and hatred. That is what breaks my heart. It was a sinking feeling to hear that he lost his life. So sad…also concerned for those who are hurt…and I am deeply sorry for the millions of Jewish people who will hear the message this scum sent by his actions. Clearly, he did it for that reason.
    As far as Shep is concerned…I stopped watching him a long long time ago when I noticed comments like the one you pointed out, Jeff. He once went on a tangent about Americans who disagreed with Bush selling our ports to Dubai. He made comments about "racism" etc…another wagging of his finger at those of us who would question the obvious, which was American security. My point was…and is…our ports are our ports. No other country should have that kind of authority within our borders, and most especially highly sensitive and easily infringed upon areas of entry. I mean, really. He said it had to do with "people who looked different from us", and gave much the same kind of verbal accusations as he did today. Despicable! So, because I virtually ignore Fox when he's on, I didn't know about this. I'll be sure to send an opinion to Fox later. Thanks, Jeff, for informing us on this issue.
    The BC issue? Well, yes, you have covered it, but I wonder why we all got all worked up about it, and now it's a non-issue? I am still very concerned about that. But, honestly…this administration keeps piling on such frightening and frantic legislation, mandates, and dictatorial enforcements that it's impossible to tackle all the issues it seems. It's strategy of the Alinsky kind for sure. And, when the SCOTUS clearly ignored the whole thing, threw it out, and discarded our voices, that was a strong message that we're not dealing with truth. I am not ready to throw out conspiracy theories, though. That is a method that has been used since the dawn of time, and it isn't crazy to think it's happening now or won't ever happen again.

23. tm says:

I think shep smith & geraldo should have been fired for their coverage of katrina. Also, shep is a little frazzled since cbs picked the perky woman over him when dan rather stepped down. Would have been a better fit for shep to be on the same network with that misogynist pervert letterman.
    As for the birth certificate issue – I think so many things were shoved under the rug that the bulldog press probably have bad backs carrying the load they refuse to show. They have too much invested in "their" historical moment. The new forgery (coming soon)will proudly be on display in the presidential library of zero in kenya, where zero will "have" to reside after his first and only term.

24. Bobby K. says:

Shep has been leaning more and more left ever since he covered New Orleans, I quit watching him along time ago, I change the channel at 3 and 6 to keep from watching him. And about the shooting having something to do with Obama, it's a load of crap, like the other comments from the post above, he should be on Msnbc, CNN, ABC, or CBS.
    And the truth about Obama will come out when the dems have had enough of him as well..

I concur, as usual. The only tie the shooting at the Museum has to Obama is possibly the Fascist ideas they share…

As for Shep, anyone that creepy really shouldn't be allowed to input ideas into the spectra. I'm convinced, he and the other liberally biased current events coordinators, are the reason people distrust the news media. I don't want commentary during the reporting of the current events. I want to hear the conditions and form my own opinion…save your two-cents for the waning minutes of the newscast.

Just for what it's worth…

Keep up the good work

RE:

I called Heidi Beirich of the Southern Poverty Law Center and left a message. She returned my call and I told her about my concern for her remarks during an interview with Shepard Smith yesterday on Fox News. I told her I am an average American citizen concerned about the Constitution and that I am not a right wing extremist. I told her Obama is not eligible to be POTUS based on the Constitution and she interrupted me and said that these are conspiracy theories and that the Supreme Court has decided this matter and I interrupted her and said no they have not and she said I am not going to debate you and hung up.

I tried.

Here is the contact information for anybody else that wants to help inform a misguided individuals and organization.

The Southern Poverty Law Center
    334.956.8200
    400 Washington Avenue
    Montgomery, AL 36104
    "Advocates for Justice and Equality"

They have a Hate Group Map but it is conspicuously absent of those intimidating voters with night sticks at the polls last November.

27. elspeth says:

I'm reluctant to post this, but feel compelled (sorry Jeff if you feel this is inappropriate):

Yesterday, I read an unusual take on the eligibility issue. Without supporting evidence, a commenter on another blog stated that the birth certificate is in hiding because it probably shows the original name Barry Dunham, making him a bastard. The commenter states that Obama Sr. is probably not the father. Without going into "why" the commenter states this, I wondered if not him, then probably a U.S. citizen, making our president a natural born citizen. This revelation (?) futher complicates the whole thing and probably is moot.

But the point I am trying to make is that it is ridiculous that we don't know. Regardless of conspiracy theories and any true right-wing extremists or those mishandling the issue, this matter should be settled as soon as possible and anyone who states we are not entitled to know more detail about our nation's leader is part of another kind of conspiracy, and it scares the hell out of me!

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!

elspeth

verification: silab…too close to salaam for my taste

I like what Michael Savage calls Shep:

SCHLEP!!!

Jeff: Please don't use the term "right-wing conspiracy fringe" term anymore. It is ambiguous and a broad-generalization. Just because people don't believe the "truth" that the MSM "reports" doesn't make them conspiracy theorists. There is more going on in this world than meets the eye…we have just been trained to not question authority or do independent research.

The powers that be (and are not visible) are fairly successful at discrediting and insulting anyone who does not automatically believe everything the government tells them…if you don't want to challenge yourself to do research of opposing viewpoints, that is fine…but don't discredit or insult those that hold a different opinion if you have not done the same investigation.

No one should believe anything they hear or read without doing real research. That is why God gave us a brain!

Besides, "conspiracy theories" isn't even an applicable label anymore, since there is so much concrete evidence as to what is TRULY going on, if the sheeple would do some quality research!

29. Sarah Brooks says:

Why don't YOU maintian proper discourse regarding today's shooting! Your comment "Yes, I think the citizenship issue has been perverted by the conspiratorial fringe of the American political right" is way off the mark. I have been working with Dr. Orly Taitz for months and if you research Obama, it is CLEAR that he is NOT a Natural Born Citizen. Why do you think he's paying millions to keep his B.C. secret? The conspiracy is on his part. Whose side are you on anyway? You sound like a RINO!
    And one last thing…I don't condemn people who kill to preserve innocent life. It's no different than someone killing Josef Mengele (Nazi) during WWII. Why don't you write about how Tiller jammed scissors into thousands if not millions of unborn babies' heads and sucked their brains out? We never talk about that…only how wrong it is to shoot an abortionist.
    Know this, if America really cared about its unborn, the nation would use whatever force necessary to protect the unborn.

If Barak Obama was adopted then his original birth certificate has no significance and is sealed and only he can open it. The original birth certificate is then replaced by a new certificate with any name chosen by the adopter.
    If there was an adoption then Obama has 2 birth certificates and both probably show he is not a U S citizen. The original is sealed and the new one shows his name is Barry Sotero.
    Another thing is he has admitted he is Muslim when he gave his speech in Cairo. Once a Muslim always a Muslim.
    We now have a half white, half Arab Muslim campaigning to be World President.

Sarah Brooks. The very fact that your working with someone with the moral clarity of Orly Taitz says it all. Uh, you do know Taitz is pro choice, right? Also she's using you as a patsy to post illegal crap to her blog in order to cover her own butt. Actually, it's stuff she posted herself in earlier days, took it down, then put it up there as if you were the one that provided the info originally instead of later. Also, it's a super stupid move to be posting your business email address all over the place. See if the admin will take it down.