Responsible Spending? Murtha Missed His Flight.

Assigned Reading: Wasteful Spending Has No Defense Now
(FROM: Charleston Daily Mail)

When I first touched upon the staggering waste of taxpayer money orchestrated by Pennsylvania congressman John Murtha for the Johnstown, PA airport bearing his name, I was preparing for an exam and, despite being outraged, could do little more than point readers in the right direction.

I’m going to do the same here — not because I’m in a time crunch (or any more than usual), but because no matter how hard I try, I could not do any better than the editorial appearing in yesterday’s Charleston Daily Mail. An excerpt:

The airport is just outside Johnstown, population 21,000. Thanks to Murtha, it has all kinds of federally funded goodies – a new terminal with a restaurant, an $8 million high-tech radar system that has never been used, a helicopter hangar, a motorized baggage carousel – and a taxpayer subsidy of $147 per passenger, double the national average.

Not that there are many passengers.

The airport has only six flights a day – all to the same location, Washington, D.C. – and each flight carries an average of only 20 passengers.

“Inside the terminal on a recent weekday,” the Post reported, “four passengers lined up to board a flight, outnumbered by seven security staff members and supervisors . . . . For three hours that day, no commercial or private planes took off or landed.”

Yet when Democrats passed the $787 billion “spendulous” bill earlier this year, what project should get another $800,000?

Murtha’s airport, which will have its second runway repaved.

Comments

1. cher-pa says:

Murtha is my state Representative, (Lucky me).This man needs to do some jail time for all his misdeeds.If he is ever found guilty I will be there on his judgement day.

2. HE IS A LOUSY AMERICAN says:

He has gone from "Semper Fidelis" to "Simply Frivolous"…… pretty sad….. come on 2010…. I'm even shelving my ammunition for now.

CLEAN HOUSE 2010
    435 NEW CONGRESSMEN

verification word: gamyto
    How dyslexic Tom Cruise spells our terrorist prison in CUBA

Hopefully, Murtha will soon be on the way out the door.

People really do not like for a Congressman to bring bad comments about their state, and they should not like folks saying bad things about any of their Congressmen.

As hard as people are struggling, Murtha would be embarrassing to me, if I were in his district.

i am in his district too. i will dance in the street when he finally goes away.

5. QUIT NAMING CRAP says:

One law we DO need; legislation to forbid ANY buildings, streets, facilities, etc etc to ever be named after any member of Congress….. they ARE NOT royalty… all they do is SPEND OUR MONEY! This would at least play a small part in ego control….. damn these people are vain.

Two words, Jail Time for that rediculous POS.

7. JOWL TO JOWL SCOWL says:

Hey Murtha, you can lose the grumpy colonel face….. you're outta the Corps now. Grow a set and try to get reelected WITHOUT buying an election. JERK

8. SPEND ALL YOU CAN SPEND says:

Once a Marine, ALWAYS a Marine; except in Murtha's case.