Gender and the Liberal Double-Standard

Playboy.com article shows the left’s penchant for talking the talk with regard to women’s rights, yet tacitly endorsing the degradation of women who refuse to toe the ideological line

Tonight, according to the Drudge Report, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin will be on Fox News Channel’s Hannity to discuss, among other things, the state of the U.S. economy and how President Barack Obama’s policies are making matters worse. I bring up Palin in the context of a Redstate.com article released nearly a week ago because, throughout the tail end of her and John McCain’s campaign last year, I wondered aloud and in writing several dozen times where the womens’ groups were as she and her family were getting absolutely eviscerated by the Obamaloving mainstream press.

This article, the Redstate piece, actually only calls attention to a posting since taken down from the Playboy Web site. And the linked piece isn’t so much an article in itself as a collection of screenshots from the Playboy site — while the screenshots themselves may be safe for work, the accompanying text is not.

The text of the Playboy article, entitled “So Right It’s Wrong” and featuring prominent photos of Fox News Channel’s Megyn Kelly, former Bush White House press secretary Dana Perino and Congresswoman Michele Bachmann, derides and degrades conservative women because they are conservatives, and because they are easy on the eyes. Photos are juxtaposed with vile and offensive text explaining who the people are, why the commentators do not like them, and whether or not they’re worthy of, well, that which got former President Bill Clinton into so much trouble.

The article features, among other things, a “Hate Fu*k Rating,” of which Hotair.com’s Michelle Malkin receives a simple “[w]orse than fu*king Eva Braun” and the aforementioned Bachmann–a sitting United States congresswoman, mind you–receives a rating of “[c]hemical castration has begun to look appealing.” Peggy Noonan is reduced to the assessment that she would likely “be up for some meaningless, Cheever-esque hate fu*king after a few gin and tonics.” Atlas Shrugs founder Pamela Geller–with whom I’ve spoken several times and can honestly say is a very nice woman–is deemed a “shrieking harpy.” Radio talk show host Laura Ingraham is called a “socially-conservative succubus who looks great with an open mouth dangling off a shotgun mic.” Also degraded? Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Amanda Carpenter, Mary Katharine Ham, and the aforementioned Kelly and Perino.

Now, let’s suspend disbelief for a moment and assume that, with diligent research and unfathomable luck, we could actually find a left-leaning woman who could be considered even borderline attractive. If someone like me, with a moderately popular Web site, were to characterize a liberal woman or several liberal women as a “top-heavy” or “with a posterior that could crack walnuts,” or rate them by how much I’d like to you-know-what the Marxism right out of them, I would be personally and professionally ruined.

It wouldn’t matter that I was merely a law student and legal writer and that this Web site was a mere hobby — word would reach the National Organization for Women, or some other similar group and I would be absolutely excoriated. As would anybody else who tried the same thing.

Thankfully, Helen Thomas and Janet Reno and Whoopi Goldberg just about set the bar for liberals aesthetically speaking, and Susan Estrich’s voice sounds like that of a drunk Muppet, so any temptation to assess the urge to engage in physical relations with left-leaning women is tempered enough so as to eliminate any fear of reprisal from angry womens’ groups. The thing is, however, that I don’t include a woman’s appearance in weighing what she has to say on a particular issue — with most liberal women, though, it doesn’t matter, as any undesirability on a purely superficial level is surpassed only by the wrongheadedness, ignorance and stupidity of their ideas.

But the political left can get away with it. Last year’s election showed that the left could absolutely destroy a female governor’s family, insinuating that the mother covered up for the daughter’s birth of a special needs child, and this recent Playboy article shows that they can dismiss a hard-working class of professional women–Megyn Kelly, after all, is about as good as it gets for thought-provoking news regardless of her gender and Michelle Malkin amazes me with how she has built an empire of her own at HotAir–merely because they are attractive.

Where, may I ask, are the womens’ groups? These women work their tails off. Michele Bachmann, for crying out loud, could very well be a qualified frontrunner for the GOP presidential nomination in 2012. Where is the outrage?

See, diversity only matters if it benefits the political left. Affirmative action should be selectively applied. Look, for example, at the Supreme Court, at how the personal story of Clarence Thomas is worth absolutely nothing when compared with the race-obsessed story of Sonia Sotomayor.

The political left in America is absolutely obsessed with identity politics, and the right has bought into it. During the election, conservative commentators were admonished for using Barack Hussein Obama’s middle name, yet it was the name by which he was inaugurated, and it was the name he proudly touted when speaking to the Muslim world last week from Cairo. During the primaries, the media questioned whether Hillary Clinton was being treated unfairly because of her gender, yet had no problem with the way that Sarah Palin was treated.

This political movement, across the aisle from where I stand, holds itself as being concerned for the little guy, driven by the hope for equality for the oppressed minority, but in reality they only use the little guy, only exploit the minority for their own political gain. Until America can realize this, until America can finally become post-racial and post-gender and look at people as people, there will always be this wrongheaded human component paraded around by the left as a distraction from their failing policies.

Sarah Palin had some brilliant things to say at an event last week about the expansion of government control through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. When I heard them, it reminded me of similar brilliant statements made by her South Carolina gubernatorial counterpart, Mark Sanford. But I did not look at the two politicians as a male and female — I looked at them as two people who understand Jeffersonian principles, as two people who love this country and should be listened to, as two people with executive experience in their State House that would translate beautifully to the White House in January of 2013.

It’s time we call out the left when they treat people like they treated Sarah Palin, like they treated the women included in that horrible Playboy piece. And it’s time to explain the double-standard to any and all who will listen.

Comments

1. BATTER UP! says:

Why did you photoshop Albrights baseball uniform and leave out the middle word "piecea"? Wanna bet she wears a cup?

2. goddessdivine says:

Excellent analysis, once again. I so tire of the left's politicking and absolute disdain for any female with a brain (I honestly think they feel threatened). All those conservative women are bright and intelligent on top of their good looks. Find me one attractive liberal with half that intellect…..

Anyone who gives any credibility to Playboy should have his own brain examined. An 80-year old man shacking up with a bunch of twenty-something playmates who couldn't find their own way out of a paper bag? So disturbing.

Great post. Our only hope is for people like Palin and Sanford step up and take it to these left wing loons who have our country strangled. You are right about the fact that the only thing they care about is their own power and bank accounts. The poor and hardworking Americans they so cheerfully misuse are only a means to keep their grand ruse alive. 2012 can't come soon enough but they conservatives need to start now getting the message out and choosing their leaders because their dem opponents never stopped campaigning and are continuing to push their agenda every minute of every day using every underhanded tool at their disposal. A lot of us will be looking for the leaders who emerge that we can support and work for. Palin sure is one.

Let me put it this way: it's not what's between the legs that should matter, but what's between the ears. Physical attractiveness may draw one's attention, but in order to retain MY attention, I want to hear some intelligent, reasonable conversation. That being said, only Playboy could possibly try to make such a weak association between looks and substance. Good grief!

Male or female–I'd be ashamed to be from some of the Congressmen's district or state, if people thought they (the Congressmen) represented the morals of the people back home!

For example, my cousin in California told me today that she wishes she could move out of CA, to some heavenly place like Texas. She is sick of the politics there!

BTW, I did NOT move from NC to GA because of the politics; but as sorry a job as Elizabeth Dole did in representing GA, it didn't surprise me when a Democrat kicked her butt back home.

6. Lilly says:

Totally agree and I was stating the same thing every time someone around me was bashing Palin!!!

I can't remember where I heard it said before but think it was Hannity. If you look at the Republican conservative women, 9 times out of 10 they are better looking the the liberal democrat counterparts and they have the brains to go with it! Your photo proves that theory, lol. Besides, we conservatives are always PO'd at the world 24/7 and have better cooping skills!

funny word verification
    fologuit = full of guilt?

"Sarah Palin had some brilliant things to say…"

Oh, my you really have lowered the bar.

I don't know about you, Jeff, but to me, the Democratic women look like they qualify as "double-baggers!"

Anonymous at 9:10 p.m.–

I wouldn't talk too much about lowering the bar regarding Sarah Palin.

Can you tell me ANYTHING that Obama(?) has done except organize people and read a TelePrompTer?

At least Sarah Palin is governor of a state without debt.

Mr. Know-It-All said that the Stimulus Package would fix the economy. He didn't even give the Congressmen time to read it, yet after four months, only 5 percent of it has been spent. Unemployment is way higher than he projected it would be without the stimulus.

We've been trying to tell you: The Usurper is trying to bring America to its knees. And, he's doing a damned good job of it, too.

hypocrisy and double standards are rampant in politics…the right-winger is just as guilty of hypocrisy as their left-winged counterpart they are trying to shoot down (no pun intended haha)

i mean, lets be honest here

11. Bobby K. says:

Amen Gail, I agree, the left is just mad. because most of the women on the left can be divided into two section, ones with looks and no brains and ones with no looks and no brains, they are just jealous, because all of the women on the right have looks and brains.

and Gail your cousin is welcome in Texas anytime. you all are

Thanks Jeff for an eye opening commentary and bringing it to our attention. Since I do not read or go to the Playboy Magazine, I would have missed this travesty. This piece is taking things down into the gutter for women – all women. For conservatives, it is like what school children would do to one another. This is not journalism, it is bullying and an attempt to sell their magazine and prove they are with Obama and his minions in every way. To many it is disgusting and will be their undoing for I am sure many will tell family and friends and these women will not allow this magazine in their house. I can think of so many better ways to discuss attributes or failings of all of these women, but Playboy took it to the gutter.

You are right Jeff. Where is the outrage on the left about this article? By their silence you can tell they are not for what is right or wrong or decent only about aggrandizing themselves and their leader. This says reams about them. Also, the way Sarah Palin was treated during her campaign was a sin. I saw Sarah speak and was very impressed by her words and by her sincerity and her love for her family and country. She may not be everyone's cup of tea, but she deserves respect as a human being. She deserves, as all of us deserve, to be treated as you would want to be treated if you were in their place.

13. Lilly says:

Correction!
    Besides, we conservatives NOT always PO'd at the world 24/7 and have better cooping skills!

14. FRESH POLITICS FOR ME says:

I proudly display my "PALIN" bumper sticker and I am so waiting for someone here in Memphis to ask me "Are you racist?" so I can ask them "Are you sexist?"

That happened, happen, and will happen for one sole reason: because the conservatives don't learn to reciprocate. The concepts of "fairness" and "good behavior" are deeply embedded into your Christian upbringing so you speak softly and pull your punches.

Human opinions, like pretty much anything else, adhere to Gaussian distribution. There are extreme minorities of both kinds but the so-called "consensus area" is somewhere in the middle. When you forcibly eliminate one of the extremes but not the other, the distribution evens out with time but the "consensus area" shifts to the other side. That is precisely what "political correctness" is about: it serves not to avoid insulting "sensitive" groups but to shift the consensus. And that's why it is so extremely important to shatter the P.C. rules anywhere we can – even if it goes against our educational "training".

The Consensus or political correctness avoids taking a stand on any issue and continues to muddle down the road. This in an effort to avoid extremes or is it to exert control. Diversity is the spice of life, but sensibility maintains it. To sit in the middle is to avoid being counted or speaking out for your own beliefs. It is like group-think or like teenagers who want to fit in with their peers so they submit to the crowd rather than go with their own thoughts and instincts. The great problem here is the masses can exert pressure on those who do not have an education or feel less informed than someone else or feel intimidated so they will submit. This is psychological pressure and is also used to break someone down to mold them to be part of the crowd or part of the "consensus group" in order to control them.

17. T.I.M. says:

It's time for conservatives to paint liberals for what they are — and do it in a way that resonates with the population. If the ad agency that runs those Mac is smart / PC is dumb ads put together a series of ads showing how off-base liberals can be, maybe the media-loving and -believing public would open their eyes.

18. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

Ohmigod. Brilliant.

"I'm a liberal."

"And I'm a conservative."

Brilliant.

19. ARTICLE 2 SECTION 1 says:

"I'm natural born"

"I'm British by birth"

Brilliant

Thanks, Bobby K.

I received this just when I was wondering if I was screaming at a deaf world!

I'll forward your comment to Bonnie in California. A NC friend has already told me she's sooooo homesick for Texas.

Here's a letter I sent to editors@newsweek.com:

Well, it's now plain to see that Newsweek is not a Christian magazine. From the nauseating words of Evan Thomas, it seems that employees at Newsweek now worship Barack Obama, aka the Great Usurper. I'm really surprised that your entire staff did not walk off the job!

Where is your patriotism?

This country is being led by the nose into socialism. Obama has called for the New World Order. My ancestors did not spill their blood on American soil and give their lives for this regime!

Where is your sense of decency?

Do you not know that this great nation was founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs? The Constitution of the United States and every Constitution of every State verifies this. We do not worship Barack Obama. He is not above the world. He is not God, and he is certainly not my Lord.

Where are your values?

"Our actions are consistent with our values; we get what we want in the end." – Unknown. What is it that Newsweek Magazine wants? A reputation for following genuine news? Or, a reputation for sucking up to a man who himself stated that he is British by birth? Have you not read the law concerning Hawaii and residency and age requirements having to be met in order to pass citizenship to an offspring? Guess what–I have read it, but not in Newsweek. Obama's mother was not old enough and did not meet residency requirements to pass her U.S. citizenship to her son. Barack Obama, Sr. was a British subject, a Muslim at that. Barry Jr. was adopted by Lolo Soetoro and went to a Catholic school where he, by law, studied his own faith — Islam.

If you value good reporting, why don't you get to the bottom of this?

What are you going to do about it?

Will you do the right thing and denounce the proclamation by Evan Thomas? I (and many others, as this has hit the airwaves) am revolted by his words. I used to have respect for Time, Newsweek, and other magazines; but this really threw Newsweek under the bus as far as I am concerned.

Newsweek is damaging the United States of America. Have you never sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States? Do you intend to show some effort to uphold the Constitution, or are you being paid off to promote this usurper in the White House?

(I invite you to send your own letter to editors@newsweek.com.)