Goodbye Molehill, Hello Mountain

Okay, so because I’m addressing this again after only a few hours, you can tell that it’s bugging the you-know-what out of me.

Before, I mentioned that I didn’t think NBC’s Brian Williams was bowing to Barack Obama at the close of a recent exclusive interview with the president. Among other reasons I felt that way was because I also tend to nod my head while shaking hands with someone, though unlike Williams I do not shift my gaze from their eyes to their shoes. I thought, in assessing Williams’ conduct, that it might be a regular thing for him like it is for me, and mentioned that I would be interested to see how he parted ways with former President George W. Bush in similar circumstances.

Now, didn’t I just a few hours ago write that we shouldn’t make a mountain out of a molehill? Well, call me Nancy Pelosi. I’m just going to say that it was my staffers who wrote that and, if you’ll excuse me, I’m due to have my face stretched in a half-hour. I’m still intrigued, because evidence of an obviously, outwardly subservient press (they’re already in love on the inside) is important in the grand scheme of American politics.

Now, while I can’t seem to find footage of such a meeting between Williams and Bush, I did find clips of Williams shaking hands with other folks, including David Letterman. Needless to say, I’m still on the fence:

When I saw this, I actually pointed to my computer and said “A-HAAA!” as though I was some sort of chunkier, younger, male version of Jessica Fletcher. As you can see, when Williams greets Letterman, an influential liberal entertainment figure, on October 3, 2008 there is no such deference. There is only steadfast eye contact. No bow.

Here, though, back in March of last year, Williams outs himself as bow-happy, going so far as to bow down before Late Show band leader Paul Shaffer almost as low and as deeply as Barack Obama bowed before the Saudi king a few months back. Here, he even nods his head when greeting Letterman.

Okay, and on Ellen DeGeneres’ television show in December of last year, Williams makes a point to bow a “thank you” to the audience a few times, but only after giving DeGeneres a hug. Now, wouldn’t that have been something — if Williams and the president hugged it out right there in the White House? I’d be willing to bet that Olbermann, if in such a situation, would be hoping for tongue.

So, for me, the jury is still out. Now, be clear that I have no question about whether Williams and the rest of his media comrades genuflect on the inside whenever Obama’s name is mentioned, nonetheless while shaking his hand, but I’m still not convinced that on the outside this was anything else than a man being polite and even a tad deferential to another, and nothing more.

Comments

1. GET A GRIP OBAMA WORSHIPPERS says:

What's with this fetish for a chain-smoking, psychotic-grinning empty suit of a man? I just don't get it!!!!

2. Linda says:

Good try, Jeff. You can make as many excuses as you want for Brian Williams, but I won't buy any of them. Even if it weren't a "bow" as such, as a fact he still salivates at the mention of the matinee idol's name, let alone being in his presence. All I want to know is (1) who's paying the media; or (2) what have they been threatened with?

Jeff's gonna gnaw this bone til it's gone!

Jeff, drink some milk! Get some sleep! Our manatee mascot has a full day tomorrow!

Thanks for the videos, however. I was hoping you'd put some up.

I still think Williams was only thinking, "We're done here."

4. QueMan says:

You like me may nod our heads in respect…..but don't 'nod' our torso…..as this creep from nbc did.

This is what is bothering you….our press has decided we should be a monarchy with a 'king' known as the 'messiah'…..and it makes real American's sick as well as the light speed to marxism does.

Jeff, you are so funny..thanks for giving me some humor in my day, I needed it…Olbermann would have been hoping for some tongue!!! Too funny but so true. I think you are probably right about BW, he was just showing respect to the bamster…I think if he bows to other people like entertainers etc. it is just jokingly done but to the Great One, a sign of respect or maybe he just has a case of the 'bends' or maybe he lived in a Geisha house once, I don't know. I think if he had bowed to Bush, Bush would have bowed back and they would have clunked heads. You are right to say there are more important things to worry about but isn't it fun sometimes just to laugh or smile and take things lightly for a moment…we haven't done that in a long time and it is quite soothing. Rick's article brings us back to the sad reality we face which is good, we need to stay focused. I just long for days when we could poke fun at each other and enjoy our diversities and go to sleep knowing that life would go on tomorrow and our children would be safe in this great country. It is still great but we have taken a detour and I don't like it so we must get back to the business of preserving our liberties.

6. A MAN AND HIS BIRD says:

Obamas pet peacock, N B C

7. American Genie says:

I watched this with a completely open mind, because I had serious doubts that any citizen of this country would do something like that.

When I saw it I thought it sure looked like a bow of subservience, but to be fair I watched it again.

The 2nd viewing convinced me that it was indeed a bow because if you will watch closely, when obama turns to walk away Williams bows again.

I'd venture to guess that you've never done that in your life.

I agree that lots of people nod when they greet or part. What I saw was not a nod.

God bless America!

You know you people sound crazy, right?

9. tm says:

Jeff, Brian williams bowed to his master. We are experiencing the new marxist press just like congress and the rest of government – out of control. Turn NBC off Jeff.

10. Right Wingnut Case says:

Anonymous at 10:02 p.m. said–
    "You know you people sound crazy, right?"

Right. (And with good reason!)

11. IZ says:

To be fair, Obama kind of bowed a little back to williams. Don't know what to make of it, but I, like Jeff, don't think this is that big a deal. Now the Bow to the Saudi king, that was subserviant, and was brushed aside by the media. That, more than williams' bow, shows the medias utter loyalty and devotion to their beloved leader.

12. RISE UP PATRIOTS says:

Anybody that thinks WE sound crazy, is thus C R A Z I E R. Hate to sound like a schoolyard but it is, without a doubt, true.

This country is going down the crapper under the Great Tanned One.