Supreme Court, Here We Come!

Assigned Reading: Chicago Law Banning Handguns in City Upheld in Court
(FROM: Bloomberg)

Given my heavy eyelids and waning laptop battery, I don’t have the time to devote to this as I’d like. All in all, it comes down to the debate over whether the Second Amendment should be incorporated against the states, something that I covered in fair detail almost a month ago, in a piece entitled The Victory for Gun Rights that Nobody Heard About.

This particular ruling, obviously, was not a victory. But, given the judges involved, it was not totally unexpected. Judges Easterbrook and Posner, while noted conservatives, maintained objectivity and upheld the law at this time with regard to their decision on this matter. The Second Amendment is not currently incorporated, and they set aside any leanings of their own — something a judge less committed to the rule of law may not have done.

Before going any further, I need to read the opinions in detail, something these darned eyelids just won’t let me do now. Regardless, this matter is headed to the Supreme Court, as it should, and I cannot wait for the federalism debate which follows.

Comments

1. JWaters99 says:

Did you notice during your recent Chicago trip that the city was extra safe because nobody there is allowed to have guns?

Only seven shootings in 24 hours!

Jon

damn

3. sharon says:

Fight on!!! That is sick, no other word…. I guess it's okay for the people of Chicago to be shot at and killed, but God forbid they try to defend themselves….. Lots of minorities there? sounds racist to me.- Jwaters99… great point in your post.

So, if you live in Chicago, the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply, right?

On the other hand, this sounds like the 10th Amendment in reverse: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

This is going to be a bumpy ride, folks! (Coffee–coffee–coffee!)

Hell has been described as a pocket edition of Chicago.

— Ashley Montagu "The American Way Of Life," 1967

No realistic, sane person goes around Chicago without protection.

— Saul Bellow

Chicago is not the most corrupt American city. It's the most theatrically corrupt.

— Studs Terkel, 1978

6. Claudia says:

I just can't believe that every single one of these lawmakers keep reposting and repositioning every single bill or would be law that they want just waiting for the right time, until they can slip it through and when no one is paying attention, to get the law up and running again…… when we and many other people have told them over and over again, that we do not want it…. just like the illegal immigration rulings that no one can seem to get through their stupid heads…

As far as I am concerned, every politician is SCUM and should be taken out and tarred and feathered for all the back-stabbing things that they are pushing down our throats in our supposedly "free country"…