Abortion, Murder and Overkill

My three-year-old daughter was born at 34 weeks and four days. She almost was born three weeks before that. I know that the late-term abortion doctor gunned down over the weekend, George Tiller, killed babies which were as far along if not further along than was my daughter, and for that my soul hurts.

What Tiller did with his life, the 60,000 young souls extinguished at his hands, should rest squarely on the shoulders of George Tiller. He should have expected to be judged on his actions by God. Introducing him early, however, by means of a gunshot wound to the head, was absolutely wrong.

Murder is murder. And while many people will contend that Tiller murdered 60,000 children through his life’s work, he did not run afoul of the law in doing so. Tiller’s killer did. Tiller’s killer decided to go to that church. Tiller’s killer decided to pull the trigger. And, while Tiller’s killer may have reconciled his actions for himself by justifying them as the murder of a murderer, as far as Kansas law is concerned, it was murder of a doctor. These unwilling mothers came to George Tiller, after all. George Tiller did not ask for his own death.

If the people of Kansas, as well as the rest of us, want to stop the George Tillers of this world, we must make them accountable under the law. Vigilantism does nothing for the overall cause — there are other George Tillers to step in and take over, and the action’s of Tiller’s murderer only makes it more difficult for those of us concerned with the sanctity of life to stop them. Putting an end to this procedure will require organization of the political kind. It will require the residents of Kansas to sacrifice their time to go door-to-door, to talk to people about the evils people like Tiller are committing. It will require a steadfast commitment to ensuring the state lawmakers that their elected position depends upon them doing the right thing — bringing the issue up in the form of state legislation, or in a referendum brought to the people at the ballot box.

That’s how we stop George Tiller. That’s how we effect true and lasting change.

I may not agree with Barack Obama on much, and certainly not on the abortion issue, but his statement this weekend regarding Tiller’s murder was right on. (Of course, so long as you forget completely about the actions taken by William Ayers):

I am shocked and outraged by the murder of Dr. George Tiller as he attended church services this morning. However profound our differences as Americans over difficult issues such as abortion, they cannot be resolved by heinous acts of violence.

His actions since, however, have left much to be desired. Today, we learned that his Attorney General, Eric Holder, authorized the U.S. Marshals Service to protect “appropriate people and facilities around the nation” in the aftermath of Tiller’s murder.

Now, apparently, our federal government is subsidizing protection for private citizens and businesses perceived to be controversial and therefore vulnerable to violence. Whhat about process servers? What about those people deemed by Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano to be “rightwing extremists” who choose to spend their time lawfully sitting in quiet protest outside Planned Parenthood offices? What about a guy like me, who uses his spare time to anger those on the left?

Shouldn’t the U.S. Marshals services be spending their time and manpower to protect witnesses, serve warrants, follow fugitive killers and guard courthouses like the one I’m in now?

How many abortionists have been killed in the past decade? Two decades? Suddenly, they’re the Templar Knights on the inaugural Friday the 13th? Since this weekend, all I’ve seen are people on the American right standing up and condemning the murder of George Tiller — has there been some sort of silent fatwa I’ve just not been made aware of?

What of military recruiters like the one killed in Arkansas? Does Barack Obama not see fit that military recruiting offices are protested by those on the left, just as Planned Parenthood offices are protested by those on the right? What of the serviceman also killed this weekend? Why no federal protection for these men?

Not only is there no protection afforded to those who give their lives to make this country safer, rather than those who work to kill defenseless unborn children, there is hardly any mention of the identity of the murderer of that military recruiter. Of course, the mainstream press has been falling all over themselves to identify the killer of George Tiller as one of those “domestic terrorists” Janet Napolitano warned us about, but no such effort has been expended to depict the recruiter’s killer as one of the Muslim terrorists that rational, right-thinking Americans know to worry about.

Before my head explodes, let me make myself clear. Abortion is murder, but is not against the law in Kansas. Shooting a man in the head in cold blood is murder everywhere. Assigning federal agents at taxpayer expense to protect people who could simply find moral high ground and no longer require protection is overkill.

Comments

Aren’t you as tired as I am over the redundant use of the word “terrorist” today?

Lord, have mercy! When the word pops up, I wouldn’t know if the writer is referring to an “Islamic terrorist,” a “right-wing terrorist,” or the “garden-variety terrorist” of the day, without knowing where the written piece came from or who wrote it!

Yes, I have a problem (now that you’ve mentioned it, Jeff) with the taxpayers footing the bill for U.S. Marshals’ security for private businesses. Of course, I have a problem with a lot of things going on in D.C., for that matter.

You are absolutely right, in that it is not against the law for abortions to be performed in Kansas, while murder is against the law in any state. And, from all the joy your precious daughter provides you and your family, I am prayerfully thankful that she made it, seemingly with her shoes on!

2. GiveMeSanity says:

Have you seen this article at Newsbusters.org? Apparently, there’s more to Tiller’s story than the MSM is willing to divulge. If the article is accurate, Tiller’s murderer had no pro-life affiliations, only extremist political ones. I agree with you. Abortion is murder, and assigning federal agents to protect abortionists is overkill. I’d like to add that news media spinning the story against pro-lifers without getting all the facts, is heedless.

As always, thanks for your great posts.

I agree that the murder of Dr. Tiller was terrible. The pro-life movement emphasizes the sanctity of ALL life and I have never heard any pro-life person that I know advocate violence. Unfortunately, ANY group can and does have fringe elements who act outside the constraints and beliefs of the organization. Their actions would never be sanctioned or encouraged by the organization to which they may have some remote connection. It is unfair for the media (but not shocking) that they are now attacking the pro-life advocates such as Bill O’Reilly…he is being viciously attacked. There are some on the pro-abortion side who are as angry, unreasonable and dangerous as the man who killed Dr. Tiller. Why would the pro-life movement advocate violence when they know that is precisely what would hurt their cause more than anything else? We who believe in the sanctity of life must not be intimidated or feel guilt because of what a misguided individual did as a result of a confused mind..we do not preach violence, on the contrary, we believe in the rule of law and value every life. I sympathize with the Tiller family and I wish this horrible tragedy had not happened…the person who perpetrated this murder should be punished. Those who are now spewing hatred toward the pro-life movement are no different than this person who chose to draw attention to himself by taking another life.

4. Lilly says:

Totally agree.
    Notice not a word or US Marshals for Recruitment centers. No condolences to the family of soldier killed. No mention of the suspect converting to Islam.

5. Hugh says:

George Tiller, MD, is totally responsible for his own actions. He had been warned! I do consider a previous attempt on his life to be a warning, however ill advised. He had the chance to turn from his folly of murdering 60,000 innocent babies.

Jeff, you say “George Tiller did not ask for his own death.” this is true. Who is his right mind asks to be killed? But his own actions sowed the seeds of his own death.

Jeff,you say “These unwilling mothers came to George Tiller, after all.” Unwilling mothers? I have only heard of one maybe two instances where an abortion was performed to protect the life of a mother! There may be times, many times where mothers are forced by others(boyfriends, husbands, parents), but I think that abortions are mostly a way to get rid of someone you do not want. It’s called birth control after the fact!

Why don’t the woman and young girls give their babies up for adoption? A culture of death has prevailed in this arena.

Your comment about Eric Holder’s actions is right on!

Hugh, Jeff said “unwilling mothers” as women unwilling to BE mothers. “Unwilling mothers” has nothing to do with whether the woman’s life was under any threat.

I would like a U.S. Marshal posted at my front AND back doors to protect me from the left-wing terrorist Janet Napolitano, because she terrorizes me every time she opens her mouth. Multiply that by 300 million plus another 20 million for illegal aliens in the United States.

As in “Why can’t I get a bailout, too?”, I ask, “Why can’t I have U.S. Marshal protection, too?

7. DELUSION says:

Is it just me? I can’t see myself going to ‘church’ on Sunday as I murder babies throughout the week. That must be one unique relationship with our Creator (and those babies Creator).

Jeff, I understand your rhetorics and agree with it. Myself being rather ambivalent on abortion issue, I should have probably remained silent on the issue. But when I see a flaw in one’s logic, I rarely hesitate to point it out.

Please look at the situation from a different angle. Imagine, for a brief and horrible moment, that a law is introduced to kill all children under 18 who were born prior to week 36 of the term (that includes my own daughter as well, she’s born on 31th week). The law, draped into some innocuous looking acronym and using cloyingly sweet rhetorics about “health of the nation” and “budget benefits”, is speedily approved by the Congress and signed by the Usurper in Chief. In two weeks, police comes in force to take your child. How many of them will you kill before they execute their order? The answer, I’m sure, will be “as many as I can and then twice that”. Will your religious beliefs or the fact that murder is a crime deter your finger on the trigger? I’m equally sure, the answer will be “of course not”.

I hope that this cruel example will let you see that the law of the people, and even the law of the Lord, cannot serve as the only criterion of what is right or wrong. So please think twice before joining the P.C.-driven chorus condemning the murderer: his child could have been one of 60,000 who died under the victim’s knife.

9. 60,000 says:

One request. If ya wanna murder babies during the week, would you mind worshipping God at home from your LazyBoy?

I have a conspiracy theory about this whole thing. I would rather not verbalize what it is, but many of you may understand exactly what I am getting at….

The Bible clearly teaches that any of man’s laws that violate God’s laws are invalid. So while Tiller was not breaking man’s laws he was breaking something far more serious, God’s laws. While I agree that his death was indeed cold blooded murder and the murderer should be prosecuted to the fullest, I cannot help but know that God allowed this killer to stop Tiller, and that Tiller’s fate is no more surprising to God than the thousand’s of babies that were murdered by Tiller. In fact, I would submit that the babies that were murdered were murdered unjustly, and Tiller’s murder was just…in other words, one will reap what they sow one way or antoher…in God’s time.

We must as a society stop allowing legal murder of babies. It is ripping our country apart.

12. D.A.Gust says:

Murder is a terrible crime.

Some how through all of the ‘news’ it seems to me there is now some kind of scale or levels of murder?

Maybe it’s just in how murders are reported to the public? I don’t get why any one murder is more important than the next, or prior, in the news.

Me thinks I got it!
    Politics is important, and if a murder has political value, it’s the most important murder, at that time, and will be used as a political tool.

You see ‘this’ murder is paying off, big time, in political terms. Not as if anyone, using it as a tool, actually really cares or cared about the doctor. They surely don’t care any more, or less, than they do about others who just happened to get mudered, it’s only the politics that matter to them.

This murder could not have come at a better time, this helps distract the masses from what is really going on….this could free thier hands to implace restrictions on more constitutional rights.

Yeah, Hey America! we be in big trouble….Pravda knows, but our people don’t….

Apparently Tiller’s site was supposedly scrubbed from the internet, but it was recovered, and here is the link to it:

There is other information available and pictures from his clinic, but I did not want to publish that here. It is/was very disturbing.

Jeff:

Kind of on a different note, I have a question: Wouldn’t the US marshals guarding this clinic be a violation of posse comitatus? What do you think? I am not very comfortable with the feds getting involved in this…shouldn’t the local law enforcement take care of it?

Lisa in TX

15. La Muse Poetique says:

Tiller was killed in a church.

I propose that the government send the secret service to my church this week, since obviously killings in churches are on the rise.

16. Kathy says:

Jeff, I am not as sure as you are that Tiller did not run afoul of the law. Because he aborted late-term babies, he was under court order (as I understand it) to have at least one other physician, who had no financial ties to Tiller, to sign off on the abortions. I understand that the physician who partnered with him, did indeed have a financial connection to Tiller. That, of course, does not justify his murder, but Tiller did snub the law and did what he wanted to anyway. He must have had quite a lucrative business. And, of course, all those engaged in the business of snuffing out life in the womb now have the resources and protection of the U.S. to protect their enterprises. Eric Holder is a very sick man.

What comes to mind about the legality of abortion is what the Apostle Paul said about all things may be lawful, but not all things are expedient or profitable (First Cor. 6:12, 10:23). Abortion may be lawful, but it only profits the abortionists like Tiller and Planned Parenthood, et al. The mother-to-be suffers sooner or later; the father-to-be suffers sooner or later and their families also suffer the loss of the one who was to have been a family member. And society suffers because a nation sanctions the taking away of all civil liberties to those babies whose parents, rather than give them up at birth, decide instead to have them killed. All euphenisms aside, abortion is murder. Can that act be forgiven? Yes, if one truly repents and seeks forgiveness from God.

So one murderer took another murderer’s life. Tragic on so many levels. However, it is a mistake to classify Tiller’s murderer as “pro-life”. Just because he is tagged “pro-life” doesn’t mean he is. If he really had been, he’d not have taken Tiller’s life.

17. Blad_Rnr says:

The wages of sin is death.

Thanks, Jeff, for opening up the conversation on Tiller’s death.

How can any clear thinking, moral, person no have mixed feelings about this? And how ironic that he was gunned down in a church – one that apparently accepted him in spite of his death-producing profession (which, incidently, made him a multi-millionaire).

What exactly is “murder” as opposed to ” “redress/justice”, “defense of one’s self or another innocent person”, “patriotism” (as in war). One person’s “murder” is another person’s “justifiable homicide”. It turns out to be whatever a jury decides that it is, based on the skill of the prosecution and defense attorneys; quite subjective, actually.

So, as I started out by saying, I have mixed feelings about this killing. I know that, as a believer, it falls under the command “Thou shalt not kill”, so I can’t condone it. But then I think about Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s decision to become involved in the attempted assassination of Hitler (forfieting his life in the process) rather than avert his eyes from the holocaust of the Jews.

From that perspective, I’m with Bonhoeffer, even though in this case the number is 60,000 rather than 6,000,000 human beings. It is so consistant with the post-modern mentallity, which is all based on “feelings”, that, in truth, the only thing that differentiates between legal killing (abortion) and prohibited killing (murder) is that we can identify with the “feelings” of the birthed person whereas we have no ability to empathize with the “feelings” of the unborn.

In any case, I’m not going to spend a lot of time mourning the loss of Tiller. It seems fitting to me that someone who makes a career of killing would be killed himself. Actually, wasn’t it Jesus who said “He who lives by the sword dies by the sword”?

Old Bob

19. SAVE THE BABIES says:

I want the scoop on the church this guy went to. That is just whack. Probably more like a country club meet-and-greet wacky church. A farce.

20. FYI says:

He attended a Lutheran church, his funeral to be held in a Methodist church.

21. Hugh says:

June 2, 2009

To Gail B: Certainly, "unwilling mothers" are unwilling to BE mothers. If they were willing to be mothers they would never go to fools like Tiller. As to your "‘Unwilling mothers’ having nothing to do whether a woman's life was under any threat” does not make sense to me. If a woman’s life is genuinely threatened by a pregnancy, then I can readily see that the woman would be an unwilling mother. So, if there is no threat the woman would normally be willing to be a willing mother. Genuinely threatened by a pregnancy would indicate a very high risk or absolute certainty that would incur much harm or die during the pregnancy or at actual birth.

I read of a case in an old Focus on the Family magazine. A pregnant woman went to a Christian doctor who discovered that the woman had cancer that needed attention soon or the woman would die. After much agonizing prayer to the LORD, the doctor went in to “take the baby”. Before he could do anything, he found charred remains. So, the LORD took the baby, protected the woman and saved the doctor from increasing heartache.

Any other threat that does not meet that standard or any other pressured reason for abortion is diabolical. I have actually spoken with Gianna Jessen, the woman who survived a saline partial-birth abortion.

I agree with Anonymous on June 2, 2009 2:51 PM

The Bible clearly teaches that any of man's laws that violate God's laws are invalid. So while Tiller was not breaking man's laws he was breaking something far more serious, God's laws. While I agree that his death was indeed cold blooded murder and the murderer should be prosecuted to the fullest, I cannot help but know that God allowed this killer to stop Tiller, and that Tiller's fate is no more surprising to God than the thousand's of babies that were murdered by Tiller. In fact, I would submit that the babies that were murdered were murdered unjustly, and Tiller's murder was just…in other words, one will reap what they sow one way or another…in God's time.

22. QueMan says:

I have no pity for either one of these murderers.

I know for a fact that my own mother would have aborted me in 1955 as would have BO/BS's mother in 1961 if it was legal. (I was born two and a half months premature….and there were 3 before and 2 after me who went to term….)

I lost a grandchild to murderers and would have enjoyed taking them both out (mother and abortionist), but know it is not my right and only God can judge them.

So please move on….nothing to see here…..

For those that are interested in the Tiller/Sebelius connection and the Phil Klein railroading, I suggest you take a look at some of the past articles Jack Cashill has on his site. He's been writing about George Tiller for quite a while now.

First off, I definitely agree with you that this killer went about this the wrong way. As much as I am against Tiller and what he did, this man did break the law, and did act as a vigilante which was wrong. Ultimately what he did could even result in a backlash and hurt the pro-life cause.

However, I feel the need to point out that, in some sense, justice was served. Very few people would be against a mass murderer being put to death through capital punishment, especially if he was planning more murders in the future. The difference in this case was not in the crime that was committed (mass murder), nor in the ultimate conclusion (death), but who and how it was carried out. If the law protected all life equally as it should, Mr. Tiller could have faced this same sad penalty legally and many years ago.

I am also glad on behalf of the hundreds, if not thousands, of babies who may now not be murdered. If any of them are saved as a result of this, I'm sure they will feel the same way.

Thanks for posting this and giving us a chance to comment on it. It is a very difficult and unfortunate issue, and I do have mixed feelings about this. But I can't help but feel in some sense, through a wrongful act, justice was served.

One other thing, if Obama listened to his own statement, all abortions (heinous acts of violence) should now also be immediately stopped.

"However profound our differences as Americans over difficult issues such as abortion, they cannot be resolved by heinous acts of violence."

One thing – I am a woman – my body is mine – I make decisions regarding what I do with it – no male has that right to tell me what I can or cannot do with any part of my body –

if men were able to become pregnant & give birth – the human race would become extinct

Anonymous @ 11:52 PM says:

"One thing -I am a woman – my body is mine – I make decisions regarding what I do with it – no male has that right to tell me what I can or cannot do with any part of my body – "

So, let me get this straight; in your opinion, an unwanted fetus is nothing more than an accident of recreational sex and as such, you have the right to, in effect, flush it down the toilet as you would a used condom?

I think that for persons with that perspective, it would only be fair, if the means were available, to have their libido removed.
    After all, regardless of whether procreation is thought of as a funcional demand of nature or a gift from God, such thinking is a form of perversion in its truest sense.

Perhaps if every woman were to become such a "pervert" (see definition "2a", Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary) the human race SHOULD become extinct. I see no point in human existence if life itself is held in such low esteem.

Old Bob

28. MAKE OLD BOB A CONTRIBUTOR says:

Right on, Old Bob.

29. LAW AND ORDER SVU says:

Aren't there a LOT of laws telling us MEN what we can and can't do with parts of our body? Just sayin.

30. Dr. L. B. Paint says:

I'm sorry, but murder is murder. With our government so corrupted from justice, there's no way we will ever change the legalized murder of children without a certain amount of vigilantism. The status quo will always fight to kill children. We have a moral obligation to do everything within our power to stop it. If needs be, we should depose the government and re-impose our Constitution.

31. DEPOSE BY ANY OTHER NAME IS STILL DEPOSE says:

I love the smell of what Dr. Paint is shoveling! I'm in!

32. SAVE THE BABIES says:

Where are the environmentalists on this! I hate to be too visual but all those aborted fetuses are ending up somewhere in the environment.

IMO, Roe vs. Wade is a terrorist act, that's been allowed to be committed over 60 million times! Adolph Hitler and Planned Murder-hood can be easily spoken in the same breath.

Tiller's death, was a direct product of his work environment.