The America’s Right ‘Identity Politics Pop Quiz’

Name: ______________

Date: ______________

POP QUIZ — IDENTITY POLITICS

Instructions: Below, you will find several questions and statements about race and discrimination at American institutes of higher learning. All statements have been reproduced verbatim and have been penned by minority students, though any reference to a specific race or ethnicity have been redacted. The questions are multiple choice — please select the option you feel most likely answers the question asked.

1. Which of the following three people are minorities?

a. Sonia Sotomayor
b. Michelle Obama
c. Barack Obama
d. All of the above
e. None of the above

2. Which one of the following two women attended Princeton University?

a. Sonia Sotomayor
b. Michelle Obama
c. Both
d. Neither

3. Which of the following two women lamented that, at the time of her attendance, Princeton University did not have enough tenured professors who shared her ethnic background on its faculty?

a. Sonia Sotomayor
b. Michelle Obama

4. This woman wrote that “predominately white universities like Princeton are socially and academically designed to cater to the needs of the white students comprising the bulk of their enrollments”:

a. Sonia Sotomayor
b. Michelle Obama

5. Which of the following two women criticized Princeton University because, at the time of her attendance, the school’s [insert ethnicity] studies program was “one of the smallest and most understaffed departments in the university” and that there was only one school-sanctioned group which was “designed specifically for the intellectual and social interest of [insert ethnicity] and other third-world students” on campus?

a. Sonia Sotomayor
b. Michelle Obama

6. Read the following statement, and answer the question below:

To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists and punk-rock performance poets. We smoked cigarettes and wore leather jackets. At night, in the dorms, we discussed neocolonialism, Franz Fanon, Eurocentrism, and patriarchy. When we ground out our cigarettes in the hallway carpet or set our stereos so loud that the walls began to shake, we were resisting bourgeois society’s stifling constraints.

Which one of these people composed the statement above?

a. Sonia Sotomayor
b. Michelle Obama
c. Barack Obama

7. Read the following statement, and answer the question below:

It has been said that the universities of America are the vanguard of societal ideas and changes. Princeton University claims to foster the intellectual diversity, spirit, and thoughts that are necessary components in order to achieve this ideal. Yet words are transitory; it is the practice of the ideas you espouse that affect society and are permanent. Thus it is only when Princeton fulfills the goal of being a truly representative community that it can attempt to instill in society a respect for all people — regardless of race, color, sex or national origin.

Which one of these women composed the statement above?

a. Sonia Sotomayor
b. Michelle Obama

8. Read the following statement, and answer the question below:

My experiences at Princeton have made me far more aware of my [insert ethnicity] than ever before. I have found that at Princeton, no matter how liberal and open-minded some of my white professors and classmates try to be toward me, I sometimes feel like a visitor on campus; as if I really don’t belong. Regardless of the circumstances under which I interact with whites at Princeton, it often seems as if, to them, I will always be [insert ethnicity] first and a student second.

Which one of these women composed the statement above?

a. Sonia Sotomayor
b. Michelle Obama

9. Read the following statement, and answer the question below:

The lack of commitment on the part of the university to the [insert ethnicity] heritage seems self-evident from these facts. Yet statistical evidence is not the total concern or complaint of the [insert ethnicity] students — what is terrifying to us are the implications. The facts imply and reflect the total absence of regard, concern and respect for an entire people and their culture. In effect, they reflect an attempt — a successful attempt so far — to relegate an important cultural sector of the population to oblivion.

Which one of these women composed the statement above?

a. Sonia Sotomayor
b. Michelle Obama

***PENCILS DOWN***

Honestly, the answers to the Identity Politics Pop Quiz are not nearly as important as the lesson which can be learned from any uncertainty among those taking it.

Over the past few days, I’ve been wondering aloud why President Barack Obama would select, as his very first nomination to the Supreme Court, a woman with so many possible points of contention among people on both sides of the political aisle. Between her overtly racist statement made during an event in Berkeley, California, to the videotaped statement about her penchant for making policy from the Court of Appeals bench, to the tales of her frosty judicial temperament, to the evidence that shows she may not even have the best possible grasp on the law at all, the nomination of Sonia Sotomayor seems almost as questionable for liberals as it does unpalatable for conservatives. All that considered, why would Barack Obama nominate her?

My first inclination was that Sotomayor was essentially a trial balloon in the Harriet Miers mold, meant to ensure that less scrutiny is placed on another pick down the line who might be a little less desirable ideologically but have otherwise decent credentials on the bench. But that didn’t seem right, because the Democrats have the votes to push anybody they like through the confirmation process.

My second thought was that, simply enough, the Obama administration’s vetting process hasn’t much improved since the “Office of the President-Elect” signage was printed up back in September of last year. Considering that Sotomayor’s biography on the American Bar Association’s Web page (see below, click to enlarge) points out, in stark black-and-white, that she is a proud member of the National Council of La Raza, this possibility did not sit well, either.

After that, I figured that the White House could very well have vetted her properly, but decided to act hastily in nominating her so the prospect of nuclear war on the Korean Peninsula could be reasonably cast from the front pages of newspapers from coast to coast. This still seems like a plausible possibility, but I’m fairly certain that the American people will stand up and take notice when Seoul, South Korea is vaporized by their not-so-nice neighbors from the north, or when Holocaust 2.0 kills six million more Jews thanks to a North Korean bomb in the hands of Mahmoud Aquavelvajaahd.

Finally, I settled on the simplest possible answer, the one which involves the least suspension of disbelief — Barack Obama looks at Sonia Sotomayor and sees in her the Hispanic mirror-image of his wife or the female, Hispanic incarnation of himself, and is just arrogant enough to believe that he’ll be able to force her through despite the points of contention piling up by the minute. Think about it. Sotomayor is a minority. She came from an unconventional childhood. She is obsessed with race, could care less about the U.S. Constitution, and holds “social justice” in higher esteem than progress or the rule of law.

For concerned Americans like you and like me, the saddest part is that the president will probably get his way. First, if he was able to obtain the presidency despite being connected with terrorists, racists, corrupt businessmen and more, surely the female, Hispanic version of himself will be confirmed despite a few hiccups. Second, with the help of the mainstream press, the American left is already re-shaping the arguments surrounding Sotomayor’s confirmation process. It’s no longer about objectivity on the bench, but rather about the perspective that the experience of an ethnic upbringing can provide. The capacity for empathy has replaced a foundational knowledge of the law. Senate Republicans are being told that any scrutiny will alienate Hispanic voters. Even the White House is in on the act, as just yesterday Press Secretary Robert Gibbs warned critics who would dare speak ill of Obama’s first choice that “it is probably important for anybody involved in this debate to be exceedingly careful with the way in which they’ve decided to describe different aspects of this impending confirmation.”

In reality, very few appointments within the United States government deserve more scrutiny than that of a Supreme Court Justice. And it’s not just the length of service issue either. The reason for such strict scrutiny has more to do with the very nature of the Court itself, a purpose which distinguishes it from every court below. The role of the Supreme Court is not so much to weigh specific cases as it is to adjudicate legal issues, with the parties to a specific case serving more as supporting cast to the underlying legal controversy in question. From what we know about Sonia Sotomayor so far, it is extremely apparent that she prefers things the other way around.

Competent Justices may differ on ideological matters, but all must be able to see past the mere people who brought the case and look mostly to the heart of the matter. In the case of Sotomayor, however, just as in the case of the president and First Lady, we see a bitter liberal who looks at the world in matters of race first, and substance second.

The answers, by the way, are: 1. All of the above; 2. Both; 3. Michelle Obama; 4. Michelle Obama; 5. Michelle Obama; 6. Barack Obama; 7. Sonia Sotomayor; 8. Michelle Obama; 9. Sonia Sotomayor. But it doesn’t matter. The statements from which the questions were developed may have been taken from different sources–Michelle Obama’s excerpted from her thesis, Sotomayor’s from a selection of writings and letters to the editor of The Daily Princetonian, and the president’s from his book, Dreams from My Father–but the worldview and perspective are one in the same, and should have all of America extremely concerned for our nation’s future.

Comments

That’s unbelievable.

How is this woman even a consideration?

2. brknowls says:

they’re all racists.

3. Chuck B. says:

absolutely brilliant!

Jeff, I’m in awe of your prodigious output of brilliantly written, well-researched, essays.

What a gift.

As for the subject matter of this piece, a paradigm shift has taken place in the U.S. that I believe will bring about the darkest period in American history. I may be wrong, and I pray to God that I am for the sake of my progeny and yours, but I honestly believe that nothing short of WWIII-like event can mend the rift – racial, economic, and moral – that has engulfed us as a result of Obama’s ill-conceived, long-planded, attempt to create a new “more empathetic” world order.

I sometimes feel like I’m driving across Kansas and am seeing a huge funnel cloud, weaving randomly, gaining velocity as it moves towards me, and I have no idea where it will be when it comes abreast of me. All I know is that all hell is going to break loose and there’s nothing that I can do but wait for it to choose its own path and victims.

Old Bob

Let us forget the P.C. rules for a minute and take an honest look at the situation.

They – Barack Obama, his wife, his recent appointee, Al Sharpton, the New Black Panthers, La Raza, huge swath of Democratic electorate – are RACISTS. They know the enemy and the enemy is YOU, a white professional Christian. They are at war, and their target is very well defined.

You – and that includes you personally as well as most readers of this blog and other people who call themselves conservatives – are not racists. Being good christians, you have no personal enemies and care for the country as a whole – “them” including.

And that’s how wars are lost, my friends, when you start caring for your enemy. That’s why America never won a single war since 1945. That’s why McCain lost, dragged down by his insistence to bring a rubber knife into a gunfight. Fighting a tooth-and-nail, no-rules war doesn’t make you “as bad as one’s enemy” – it makes you a winner capable of bringing your enemies to justice and living the life of freedom as you all deserve.

6. sharon says:

Thank you Jeff for your incredible writing and insight… Most days I feel like screaming.

7. amomx4 says:

I thought it was Mahmoud Aquavelvajihad

8. Dee says:

I agree whole heartily with Old Bob and I want to scream along with Sharon. I feel that this group is very racist and they want to divide the country, rich against poor, black or whatever color against white, those who want to be independent of the government against those who feel the government owes them and they are entitled. I fear for our country and what it will become.
    Thank you, Jeff, for a very interesting comparison.

9. PattyW says:

I don’t know about Princeton, but in all of my visits to Virginia Tech and I suspect, most universities in this country, I see a student population that is NOT, I repeat, NOT a microcosm of the general population of this USA where they are located. White males and females are NOT the predominate beings walking these campuses. I see many women, which is a good thing. But for anyone to say that the universities of today are RACIST must take up the cause for the white male who gets passed over for an “ethnic” person. I know for a fact that large universities will admit “ethnic” students with average grades before a white male student with excellent grades. We are not helping our “best and brightest” with this type of affirmative action and the Obamas are proof of that!

Big Head McSchreiber (that’s a compliment):

You compare yourself to a manatee, but I question how big your head is!

Think about it, folks–with ALL he has on his plate, he still manages to wrap his head around just about everything! (Do you ever have headaches?)

And, calling yourself “Khalid Sheikh McSchreiber” (‘It Was Torture’) shows that the brain cells do not lack elasticity for humor either!

As for the article, well, it just looks as though the liberals, along with the impostor POTUS, are just trying to suck everything they can out of the working class. Of course, that’s just my imagination in overdrive. The lazy, racist, socialist liberals would NEVER take advantage of ANYONE, right?

Obama eligibility?

Ephesians 5:11
    Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

—————————–
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
    - Thomas Jefferson
    —————————–
    “I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    - Thomas Jefferson
    —————————–
    “My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
    - Thomas Jefferson
    —————————–
    “The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
    - Thomas Jefferson
    —————————–
    In light of the present financial crisis, it’s interesting to read what Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

“Banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.”

—————————–
    Pixel Patriot – Hear Ye, Hear Ye

Excellent wake up article, Jeff. Thank you for your brilliant assessment. I have sent it on to Jon Kyl, (my senator)member of the Judiciary Committee. I added a few tidbits of my own in my lead up to your article.

This destructive woman must not be allowed to ascend to the highest court of the land.

Old Bob and Sharon and everyone else on this blog thread are correct in their assumptions. It’s a frightening scenario. Those of us with our wits about us feel as though we are riding off into the sunset with nothing beyond the horizon but more of the same destructive bitterness.

13. Claudia says:

As I have stated here, many times, I am so totally afraid and heartsick for this country that I am now beginning NOT to be able to sleep at night because of the nightmares that I have started having.

We are all so stupid that we (YES, us gone by the wayside and unable to articulate our thoughts, stand up for our values, true and righteous as they may be, Republicans and Conservatives)listen to and adhere to what those stupid vampid dems and libs tell us we should sorry about and we don’t stand up for what is right, true and honest…. when will we, the general public get some balls and start screaming? We must get a handle on this or we will lose our Country. It is almost gone right now…. when will we act???

14. GATOR-1 says:

Well I hit nine of ten, which actually surprised me as it was hard to discern Who, when most could well have been either or.

Now RIX…I am with you 100% about what you said……However it comes down to the same thing our servicemen and women have faced for years…..

Just because the Bad Guys chop off heads…WE cant do that back to them….although IMO it would get their attention pretty dam quick.

We simply cant lower ourselves to their levels of actions……THEY break the law to get what they want, yet we MUST find the way to defeat them without doing such things.

As Jeff has said we can copy some of their methods such as recruiting and organization. But we simply can not lower ourselves to break the law or advocate doing so in order to gain an advantage.

So yes we are at a disadvantage in those regards. A HUGE disadvantage since as UBS puts it “He Won”

I am as scared as anyone else about all this mess, But I do still believe that Justice and Freedom will reign supreme in the end.

Our Republic WILL STAND….

God will continue to Bless America so long as their are enough of us willing to make it so without compromising our most inner believes.

Our numbers are growing and will continue to do so every day so long as this Nation is on the wrong path. And it is as we know.

As the venom from the snake is used to make the anti-venom, we take our poison now and use it to make the anti-venom we need to take this Country back!

Exactaly HOW? I am not that smart but I do know…

Elections have consiquences…
    Elections are usually close…
    We still have elections…

Lets go win some for the Gipper as they say.

And lets keep our Heads Up. It is going to get darker before dawn but dawn WILL come.

As Always Thank You Jeff. And No Gail I cant figure out how he does it either it is truely amazing.

And sorry to be so late to comment on this story…..I’ve been busy and had a bit to catch up here.

BLESSINGS PATRIOTS

15. AS FOR ME says:

RIGHT ON Rix, sorry Old Bob, I wanna be in the Rix platoon.

16. WOOF says:

Who let the DOGS out? WHO? WHO? WHO? WHO?