Score One for Voter Intimidation

Assigned Reading: Malkin: Why is the DoJ Protecting New Black Panthers?
(FROM: Michellemalkin.com)

Thankfully, Michelle Malkin is more on the ball than I am. After all, I may have been the first one to report on the lawsuit in question when it was filed on January 7, 2009, but despite working in the courthouse and covering the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (which is why I had the filing in my lap before anybody else) for my day job, I never noticed that the Obama Justice Department had tossed out the default judgments in this case.

I share Malkin’s curiosity. I guess I could understand tossing out a default judgment if you really wanted the matter to go on and be heard on its merits, but in this case the lawsuit was dismissed as to two out of three defendants. At least the dismissal was without prejudice, but a dismissal after a victory by default is essentially the equivalent of a pardon.

Considering that the suit was seeking injunctive relief in the form of an order permanently enjoining the defendants from conducting similar operations at polling places in the future, and that default judgment would have provided the DoJ with a win, by tossing out the default judgment, I would imagine that the New Black Panthers would be free to operate in the same manner in upcoming elections, at least without running afoul of a court order.

Something doesn’t reconcile here, and I’m curious as to the reasons behind the dismissal. I’ll be following along as this progresses, that’s for sure.

Comments

As soon as I can get my jaw off the floor, I might be able to make a comment. Meanwhile…I’m blown away!

Life is great for the Anointed One, isn’t it? His regime won’t even have to spend taxpayer money on brown uniform for His faithful cohorts – they’ll just need to disrobe.

3. cher-pa says:

Eric Holder/Justice Department
    Black Panthers/ACORN
    US Census/Redistricting
    Illegal Immigration/Ethnic supreme court picks
    OH THE TANGLED WEB THEY WEAVE. It’s all about making sure Obama and the liberals win at any cost.

4. tm says:

Cher- pa is dead on. Makes you wonder if or how they will ever prosecute ACORN. This is so wrong on many levels.
    Anger beyond words.

PS Hey Jeff did you see this?

Did Erich “Mancow” Muller Fake His Waterboarding for Publicity?

5. Dee says:

I’m willing to bet that it will be even worse when BO runs again in 2012. Anything will be allowed just to get him re-elected. However, he wants to get all things done asap so maybe there will be nothing left to do and he won’t have to run again or maybe by then he will be “the king of all the czars”. MSM will put this on page 28 of section 2 of our papers. Everyday brings something new and amazing.

6. Linda says:

Gail, I enjoy your posts, but you’re not really surprised by this, are you?

Dee, sure it will. If this is allowed to go unpunished, the sky’s the limit for election fraud for the annointed one.

Just wait until the next election…just as he said, “You ain’t seen nothin’ yet!!!”
    As an average American citizen with no political aspirations…WHAT CAN WE DO??? This is getting downright scarey, and I pray things are going on behind the scene to stop the outrageous things that are taking place.

To “Anonymous 2:17 PM”

In reponse to your prayer that “things are going on behind the scene to stop the outrageous things that are taking place”, I would venture a guess that you are referring to the Republican party. If so, don’t hold your breath (but keep praying, as I also am).

All the Republicans seem to be doing is trying to find a way to triangulate by compromising conservative values in order to increase their share of the secular/progressive vote (the “Big Tent” strategy). It’s all about winning, not about promoting Christian/Judeo/Constitutional values that made the U.S. the envy of the world.

You know, like the Scripture verse says; “What profiteth a man if he gains the whole world but loses his own soul?” Unfortunately, the Republican party has managed to lose both the “whole world” and it’s soul. Quite a feat, actually.

I know that my position sounds foolish to most because most believe that it’s all about winning in order to make the desired changes. But, as I read history (and the Scripture as well) I see something far deeper in the success that we have had in the past. I see the hand of God.

What if the fog hadn’t unexpectedly rolled in that night, allowing Washington to escape across the river from almost certain destruction at the hands of the British (and Hessian)troops which, with the arival of dawn, were waiting to annihilate him and his army. What if, at the battle of Gettysburg, Lee had made the right call and Pickett and his troops hadn’t been wiped out in that suicidal charge at Little Round Top? The Confederacy would likely have won the battle, marched on to a virtually unproteced D.C. and won the Civil War.

Yeah, I see God’s hand in our history; not triangulation.

Old Bob

9. GATOR-1 says:

I LOVE IT HERE!

I think things and then someone writes them for me, Thank you Old Bob!

“In my opinion, the path to regaining a significant role for the Republican party in national politics is to stop focusing on winning and start concentrating those trditional/Constitutional values.

I know that my position sounds foolish to most (not to me Bob) because most believe that it’s all about winning in order to make the desired changes. But, as I read history (and the Scripture as well) I see something far deeper in the success that we have had in the past. I see the hand of God.”

The thing is Bob, I believe doing just that WILL result in winning!…It is the only thing that will. Simple basic concepts that most Americans hold Upmost.

“Yeah, I see God’s hand in our history; not triangulation.”

And I see His Hand in our Future My Friend!

FAITH…It is what we must keep as we walk thru the valley.

BLESSINGS PATRIOTS

“Gator-1 says”:

I’m often reminded of the line from the movie “Shadowlands” (C.S. Lewis) when one of his former students says “we read to know that we’re not alone”. That’s why I enjoy comments such as yours, and others, on Jeff’s blog so much; knowing that I’m not alone.

And I agree with you that holding to our values is the only way to go about winning, but the winning comes in second to the message.

Thanks again.

Old Bob

11. NO HOPE FOR USA says:

What if there were KKK or swastika laden whities at a poll? Yeah, that’s what I thought.

12. PUNK THUGS says:

America, stare at that photo and constantly come back to it. THAT, is our future.

13. Don says:

Have we all forgot that during the campaign Obama made the startling announcement that we need a “civilian military” as well trained and equipped as our military military? The Black Panthers are already uniformed, armed and apparently trained well enough in maneuvers to evade a trial. Are these guys the cadre of his Civilian Military ready to take on the tea party brigades???