Americans Want Less, not More

Assigned Reading: FNC Poll: Americans Want Less Government, Less Spending
(FROM: Fox News)

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell recently made news by saying that Americans “want more government in their life.” Americans disagree. Most — 71 percent — say they want less government in their life. A much smaller number (17 percent) fall in the category described by Powell.

Without going into too much detail–I’m about to go to the Circus with my daughter (yay!)–I just spotted this and wanted to highlight it along with another poll that I’ll highlight later. This lends a little credence to the distilled, role-of-government argument I believe the GOP should treat as the core of its leaner, meaner message.

I promise to get into it more later, and I still do have something in the works in terms of a mission statement of sorts, but in the meantime I thought this poll was pretty interesting.

Comments

“Americans Want Less, Not More” = title of this piece, but this time my comment concerns something besides government!

Ian, I saved this one for you! It’s a WSJ article about men’s underwear:

If you don’t get tickled reading it, I feel certain that you could come up with some really choice British comments that would make you laugh!

(Heck–why not? It’s Saturday!)

Well, Obama himself said that the national debt is unsustainable.

The liberal Dems “crucified” Bush for his spending on the war, yet Obama’s regime makes the Bush spending look like pocket change.

I’m waiting for the can opener for the can of worms that will produce the proof that Obama is a usurper, so that all this CRAP can be undone!

3. GENERAL DISAGREEMENT says:

Someone slipped Colin some of that purple kool-aid. Good gosh I used to really admire and look up to that man. He should have stayed and retired as simply a true American warrior.

Fox News! Found it on computer!

On the panel at left of the video screen click “Fox News” and watch Glenn Beck when it’s time for his program. Otherwise, watch Fox News “as seen on TV!”

Piece of cake!

5. POWERFUL WORDS says:

Conservatives often talk about “small government,” which, in a sense, is framing the issue in leftist terms: they’re for big government. But small government gives you big freedoms—and big government leaves you with very little freedom. The bailout and the stimulus and the budget and the trillion-dollar deficits are not merely massive transfers from the most dynamic and productive sector to the least dynamic and productive. When governments annex a huge chunk of the economy, they also annex a huge chunk of individual liberty. You fundamentally change the relationship between the citizen and the state into something closer to that of junkie and pusher—and you make it very difficult ever to change back.

-Mark Steyn

Jeff, I have to say I am relieved to read only 17% of Americans(Colin Powell included) have lost their marbles.

Jeff, I know of no better source of explaining the limited role of government than through lesson nine of the Truth Project, a 13 week teaching on developing a Biblical World view. Info can be found at truthproject.org.

My husband and I have led several classes now, and this lesson so transforms the participants thinking on this issue. I know it truly opened my eyes to reality. It very closely aligns with everything fiscal and social conservatives believe, but is supported by Biblical reasoning, which was used by the founders of this country. I encourage all that regularly read the columns here to find a local group and go through the study. You will be greatly educated, inspired, and moved to do more than complain.

Chuck Colson, former Nixon aide that served time for Watergate, also is developing a program called the Wilberforce Forum that teaches very similar concepts.

To “Anonymous @ 4:11 PM”:

Thanks for sharing the information on the “Truth Project” classes. I’ll check it out.

Old Bob

9. cal says:

If that poll is true, then how did Obama get elected? People are idiots if they did not think he was going to turn the US into a nanny state. I think the way you phrase the question matters. People may say they do not want government, but they probably do say they want someone paying for their college, mortgage, health care, etc.