A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Collectivism…

Before you folks get all angry at me, remember that the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner has always been the place for the president to make light of his shortcomings. Perhaps it’s just the partisan in me, but I do think that Barack Obama’s delivery was a little lackluster when compared with his predecessor, just like I thought that John McCain absolutely skewered Obama during a similarly funny, mid-October charity event.

That performance only underscores the importance of humor, even when it comes to the most serious of matters. With regard to McCain and the election, when he was using humor at the Alfred Smith Dinner, that was by leaps and bounds the most focused and aggressive I had seen him. Some people may think it inappropriate to laugh about certain things, but laughter and humor can be irreplaceable — and telling. This weekend’s performance from Obama certainly was

Regardless, Obama had some pretty funny lines during this event–yes, I would purchase and read “How to Shoot Friends and Interrogate People,” and I do think it would be a phenomenal name for Dick Cheney’s memoirs–even though he needed to use a cheesy (but funny) gag in order to facilitate the use of the TelePrompTer. So far, by the way, there has been no comment from TOTUS on his official Web blog. I’ll be waiting.

All in all, even if he didn’t bring down the house, the material itself shows that attention is being paid to many of the issues that we talk about here. If the Democrats, as angry as they were with the Bush administration, were able to laugh with the former president, we should be too.

Still, as much as I found the president’s comments amusing, I can only imagine how Chris Matthews was rolling in the aisles. What’s the over-under on how many times he needed to change his underbritches?

Comments

1. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

…and, yes, if I were the president, I would have not laughed when Wanda Sykes talked about Rush Limbaugh’s kidney failure…

Yahoo! Jeff is back. Now we can stop shooting the breeze among ourselves and get down to serious business.

As for our Commander-in-Chief at the press dinner, I chose not to watch the affair. I was afraid that his script-writer might actually have him say something truly funny and I might (involuntarily, of course) laugh. If I did, I knew that later I would feel deep embarrassment and humiliation for having been a traitor to how I actually view him.

For the first time in my life, I have come to doubt the President of the United States’ trustworthiness and intentions relative to the perpetuation of the free and democratic nation which we, at America’s Right, cherish so passionately.

So laugh on, “Mr. President”, soak up the adulation, grin from ear-to-ear, but I’m not buying it.

Old Bob

I didn’t think it was all that funny. In many ways, I kind of thought it was classless. He was on the a direct attack throughout the event instead of merely commentating on the headlines.

After I watched this, I went and viewed former President Bush’s last speech at the convention and I found it be funny.

I DO find it amusing that everyone was up in arms about people in the Palin crowd who yelled out “Terrorist!” but who are remaining quiet when the same things happens at a SCRIPTED event which saw the President laughing.

In my honest opinion, I really do think that Obama has a destructive ego and a mean streak just under the surface. In the end, I think it comes down to Obama and he’ll do whatever he can to carefully craft his image. What he can’t carefully craft, he sloughs off as immaterial and the media is all too quick to oblige him.

If I were ignorant of what that man is doing to our great nation, I could relax and laugh at his jokes.

Did you notice that he did not use the hidden hypnosis technique? Not one “anchoring” hand gesture, not a single one-fingered head scratch, not a hint of the hypnosis techniques as in the past. He wasn’t “selling” anything.

When that man speaks, my mind for detail picks up everything; I’ve learned to be on guard, to catch what he’s up to. This time he was just being entertaining. That’s a relief in itself!

5. Brian H says:

As always, compared to Rush’s 1½-hr extemporaneous speech, Locutus O’Borgus comes across as a wind-up smarm doll.

6. Laurie says:

Jeff, I could not agree with you more. I did chuckle at a few of 0′s lines and was totally appalled at that woman’s failed attempt at humor. She is just someone that is at the end of her career and has found her 5 minutes of renewed fame only to go down in the flames of disregard. No one with any intelligence will remember what she said tomorrow.

Do you remember the dinner where Pres. Bush started telling a joke and Mrs. Laura Bush interrupted and then stole the show by doing a total roast on Pres. Bush? It was really funny. One line i remember was when she said that the President went to bed every night at like 9pm and then she said, “Ladies, I am a desperate housewife..” (or something very similar) and it brought down the house.

And yes, wishing ill healthy on anyone is bad taste.

~laura

8. SPONGEBOB OBAMAPANTS says:

When I need a really good laugh, I just lift my copy of the Constitution off the coffee table and read it once again. Oh Boy, those founders were cards. Who would have ever thought this crap idea of self government would ever work? Nice try Jefferson.