Sanford Continues to Impress

Assigned Reading: Gov. Mark Sanford: Obama’s Path to a Lost Decade
(FROM: Human Events)

This popped up yesterday and, while I left its window open on the computer all day, I didn’t actually have the chance to read it until shutting things down for the night here. Our pending move to Charleston, SC provides me with added motivation when I really need it–as I type this amid gaping real estate law books and outlines on my dining room table, a ball cap with the palmetto and moon dangles from the chair next to me–and it seemed almost poetic to finish up a long, long night characterized by complete dearth of hope by reading a solid commentary by the governor of my future home state.

Sanford, as usual, is right on a whole number of issues, but while he is generally at his best when hammering home the need for fiscal responsibility, accountability and just plain sanity, in this piece I liked what he had to say about the size, scope and role of the federal government. Here’s an excerpt:

Second, the recent string of invasive actions by the federal government has completely altered the long-defined and successful relationship between the private sector and the government in this country. In his well-regarded essay, “The Spirit of Democratic Capitalism,” AEI scholar Michael Novak points out that “No state had so legitimated and separated the economic sphere [from government] as did the fledgling United States,” and that that was indeed central to the genius of America.

I’d suggest that anyone observing what’s taken place recently would be hard pressed to argue that this administration has worked to maintain that separation. To use just one example, a few weeks back President Obama effectively fired the Chairman and CEO of General Motors, the same company that was once revered as an icon of American economic prowess.

An economic environment in which winners and losers are determined not by the market but by political fiat undermines the real stimulus of our economy — private capital. For entrepreneurs to take risks in the marketplace they need to have an understanding of what the rules are and that’s not possible when they see ad-hoc bailouts and the President taking unilateral action in the economy as he has.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, my pillow is calling.

Comments

Hello Jeff,

Anything new on the different cases related to the non-eligibility of Obama?

When the Supreme Court judges are going to do their job?
    When are they going to avoid evading the case and start tackling it at its roots by asking Obama Hussein, the usurpator, to show the proofs of his eligibility, proofs that are either falsified or proofs that he simply will not be able to show?

When will justice in this country be a reality for everybody in the USA, no matter how poor people are, you the student of law?

How can one get justice if one needs a lot of money to have justice done?!!!

This judicial system in the USA is really sick, inefficient and only for those who can afford to have their cases presented in court!!!

2. Bodenzee says:

In the assigned reading list there’s an interesting piece about Justice Thomas’ thoughts on the constitutionality of the Fairness Doctrine, but…

Recently, reading Massachusetts v. Melon, 262 U.S. 447 (1923)I found this at Page 262 U. S. 488:

“We have no power per se to review and annul acts of Congress on the ground that they are unconstitutional.”

How does this bear on the court deciding “fairness?”

Jeff:

It’s hard to argue with Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, etc!

Lisa in TX

4. Lead Based Paint says:

Great. ANOTHER yankee moving down here.

5. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

Yep. And I’ll be right next door. I’ll borrow tools and never return them, give you a cup of salt instead of a cup of sugar, allow my grass to grow knee-high … there goes the neighborhood!

Lead Based Paint said…
    “Great. ANOTHER yankee moving down here.”

Ha-ha-ha! Well, if Jeff is a Yankee moving to SC, that’s by far better than being stuck in Arlen Specter’s state. L.B.P., where’s your Southern hospitality? You’re no Southerner–you sound more like a liberal Obot.

Lisa in TX said,
    This IS a great excerpt. I only wish that our strong conservative leaders would include in the defense of their positions regular quotes from our Constitution and the Founders..this would serve to remind and educate people as to the historical validity of conservative policy and beliefs and the causation of our prosperity.”

Lisa, some conservative Republicans have tried to introduce legislation to REQUIRE the Constitution’s reference for any bill to be considered, to ensure that the bill being considered does not overreach federal authority. (Another one bites the dust.)

I read the comments under the article in Human Events–Thomas Moses of Ohio certainly has a lot of venomous thoughts, but he kept on until he literally showed his ignorance! He and Lead Based Paint should get together. They would have a lot in common.

Oh–did you see Sen. Jim DeMint’s comment in Chuck Muth’s newsletter yesterday?

“I would rather have 30 Republicans in the Senate who really believe in principles of limited government, free markets, free people, than to have 60 that don’t have a set of beliefs.”

- Sen. Jim DeMint

True wisdom is abundant in South Carolina!

7. Dee says:

Jeff, are you sure you don’t want to stay in Pennsylvania? We would welcome you, especially if you plan on going into politics at some point. We would let you borrow our tools and lend you sugar. We would invite you over for a beer. We need people like you in this state.

Envious of your governor to be.

Here in Texas, se’re stuck with Perry, who serves at the pleasure of the same people pulling the O’man’s strings. Our other options for a new gov in the next election don’t look much better.

As for the flu panic pandemic, looks like the CDC and the WHO didn’t vet this one properly before hitting the panic button. Then again, the president was properly vetted either. Hmmm….I’m seeing a pattern here.

I like Sanford but I like DeMint even better. There is one problem… can you promise us you’ll work round the clock to vote out Senator Shamnesty? Then it may be well worth crossing the GA line into your state.

10. suek says:

>>You're no Southerner–you sound more like a liberal Obot.>>

I think you're right, Gail B…if LBP were _really_ a southerner, he'd have said "Another _damn_ Yankee moving down here"!!

Anonymous 12:28…

AGREED!!!

Perry + Hutchinson= no difference!

Both of them have attended the Bilderberg group…no wonder neither of them care about protecting the border. That would seriously set back their North American Union goal!

I would love to see TX Supreme Court Justice Dale Wainright run…he is brilliant, black, conservative, and a strong Christian.

Maybe someday…..