Justice Souter to Retire

So Souter makes two.

While the retirement of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg–who, at 76 years of age, was recently diagnosed with cancer–is inevitable, it looks like President Barack Obama’s first vacancy will come from the seat now occupied by Justice David Souter, the George H. W. Bush appointment who, upon reaching the bench and despite being characterized as a right-winger by Massachusetts Sens. Kerry and Kennedy, took such a hard left turn that he should have sewn a blinker onto the back of his robe.

Of course, while neither the retirement of Souter nor the retirement of Ginsburg–nor, even, the inevitable retirement of 89-year-old John Paul Stevens–would shake up the ideological makeup of the Court, I cannot say I’m pleased with the idea that the aged Stevens and Ginsburg, along with the 69-year-old Souter, would likely be replaced by Obama with much younger, much more radically left-leaning judges.

Regardless of what can be said about former President George W. Bush’s abandonment of free market principles during the latter half of his second term, history will likely be kind to Dubya and his legacy in two ways: first, his stance on global terrorism and, second, his appointment of Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Sam Alito. I look at those men and take heart in knowing they’ll be around for a while — for that reason, I’m not going to like what we’ll be seeing from Barack Obama.

I lack the time now to get into possible replacements but, from what I’ve heard, it’s not going to be pretty — at least not if you care for the Constitution as written by our founders.

Comments

So much for the prayer that things wouldn’t get any worse!

Isn’t it interesting people are bailing D.C. Those leaving have to be the ones that don’t want blood on their hands when the final takeover occurs.

3. sharon says:

Here we go…. with the Dem’s control, will not even be a nomination, just selection right on through…. I shiver to think who it could be…

4. tm says:

Souter did nothing with his left turn for me. I hate to say it but I agree with you TOTUS will likely have 3 picks during his “ONE TERM” with ginzburg (not doing well) and three in their seventies. The one who is my favorite out of all the justices is scalia – his son is a priest at my church down here -both of them are wonderful men. TOTUS will probably do what he always does and polarize it to fit his ego – I am certainly not looking forward to the three ring circus he will add with the picks.

Well, with this negative news and the probability of a dangerous loon appointment, we’ll see how the Republicans react to this probable nominee, and if the same interrogation tactics that were used on conservative judge nominees in the past (by democrats), will now be employed by tough Republicans on a liberal appointee. It will definitely be time to get tough about something, and the door will certainly be open.

6. GOOD BYE AMERICA says:

We’re screwed.

A TRUE story:

In Harry Reid’s new book (oooo…can’t wait!):

Reid goes up to freshman senator Obama and compliments him on his fabulous speech. O, without hesitation, responds, “Harry, I have a gift.”

THIS IS NO JOKE!

Can we all say CLINICAL NARCISSISM?

Excuse me while I go throw up!

Lisa in TX

Surprisingly, Bill “The Weatherman” Ayers is not on the list of potential nominees. Even more surprisingly, CNN failed to spin it as a “great bipartisanship effort by The One”.

Disappointingly, Souter voted left most of the time, and will not be a loss. He’ll be forever dogged, on Kelo vs. City of New London. JMO, but It’s got to suck to be him!

10. suek says:

These three were a given. They were just waiting and hanging on until they could get the democrat setup that would replace them with leftist leaning activist judges.

I’m waiting for the next move – the one that will put another two seats in the Supreme Court that Obama will be able to fill the court with a majority of leftist leaning activist judges. Then it really will be Good Bye America.

11. goddessdivine says:

I wonder if Obama’s appointee will have tax issues…..

Lets not forget something. It was Justice Souter who required the vault BC be shown back in November based on the Berg suit. SCOTUS Docket No. 08-570. Curiouser and curiouser..

13. CAL says:

You got to be thankful the Harriet Miers pick did not go anywhere.

14. Psydog says:

Jeff in the event of a total governmental break down
    - overthrow – is there any mechanism to oust Supreme Court justices? I do not know enough about the issue?

15. MAYHEM says:

Psydog, in the event of an ‘overthrow’ why would one stop with just two branches of government? Seems to me it’s every man for itself at that point. Anarchy, at least temporarily. Sure wish it wouldn’t come to THAT. Sad that the ballot box doesn’t get the job done anymore, Ignorance reigns.