Former CIA Director on Politics and Priorities

Assigned Reading: Porter Goss: Security Before Politics
(FROM: Washington Post)

Absolutely a MUST READ from former Florida congressman and former CIA Director Porter Goss, a frank assessment of how politics has usurped everything else in Washington, D.C., and how it must be stopped now.

Of course, I agree wholeheartedly, not only with Goss’s argument that “[w]e can’t have a secret intelligence service if we keep giving away all the secrets,” but also with his surprise at the blatant political doublespeak which has replaced common sense and the unification brought about by threats to American security.

The debate over detainee torture isn’t about torture. It isn’t about the detainees. It’s about control. It’s about the elected left appeasing the supporting left. It’s about making good on an eight-year-long vendetta against a former president and everything for which he stood, despite the success measured in a total lack of American blood spilled on American soil by radical Islamic terrorists since the attacks of September 11, 2001.

Read for yourself, but here is an excerpt:

A disturbing epidemic of amnesia seems to be plaguing my former colleagues on Capitol Hill. After the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, members of the committees charged with overseeing our nation’s intelligence services had no higher priority than stopping al-Qaeda. In the fall of 2002, while I was chairman of the House intelligence committee, senior members of Congress were briefed on the CIA’s “High Value Terrorist Program,” including the development of “enhanced interrogation techniques” and what those techniques were. This was not a one-time briefing but an ongoing subject with lots of back and forth between those members and the briefers.

Today, I am slack-jawed to read that members claim to have not understood that the techniques on which they were briefed were to actually be employed; or that specific techniques such as “waterboarding” were never mentioned. It must be hard for most Americans of common sense to imagine how a member of Congress can forget being told about the interrogations of Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed. In that case, though, perhaps it is not amnesia but political expedience.

Let me be clear. It is my recollection that:

• The chairs and the ranking minority members of the House and Senate intelligence committees, known as the Gang of Four, were briefed that the CIA was holding and interrogating high-value terrorists.
  • We understood what the CIA was doing.
  • We gave the CIA our bipartisan support.
  • We gave the CIA funding to carry out its activities.
  • On a bipartisan basis, we asked if the CIA needed more support from Congress to carry out its mission against al-Qaeda.

I do not recall a single objection from my colleagues. They did not vote to stop authorizing CIA funding. And for those who now reveal filed “memorandums for the record” suggesting concern, real concern should have been expressed immediately — to the committee chairs, the briefers, the House speaker or minority leader, the CIA director or the president’s national security adviser — and not quietly filed away in case the day came when the political winds shifted. And shifted they have.

Circuses are not new in Washington, and I can see preparations being made for tents from the Capitol straight down Pennsylvania Avenue. The CIA has been pulled into the center ring before. The result this time will be the same: a hollowed-out service of diminished capabilities. After Sept. 11, the general outcry was, “Why don’t we have better overseas capabilities?” I fear that in the years to come this refrain will be heard again: once a threat — or God forbid, another successful attack — captures our attention and sends the pendulum swinging back. There is only one person who can shut down this dangerous show: President Obama.

Comments

1. WISH GOSS WAS BOSS says:

Ah, there’s that aroma of common sense I so miss.

Does anyone under the Dome in D.C. know what the heck they are doing, what the consequences of their actions will be, or have the best interest of the American people (instead of their own fattening wallets) at heart? It certainly does not look like it.

The world is preparing for a pandemic flu that has originated in Mexico, that is suspected of being created for bio-warfare, and for which the vaccine against it is virtually useless, yet our oyster-brained champion of homeland security, Janet Napolitano, says that she sees no need to screen people coming into the United States from Mexico. I guess she figures, “What’s the point? They’re coming in illegally across the borders anyway.”

The mentality of this regime is frightening to me. I am not using the term “frightening” loosely, not after how I have seen AKA Obama behave with our enemies and tell the world that America is not a Christian nation!

I write “In God We Trust” on my checks and on the envelopes that I mail letters and checks in.

3. Claudia says:

the whole world is turning upside down in our Country and Obama is leading and running the show. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have a CLUE as to what needs to be done or how it should be taken care of and his narcissistic personality disorder is making every dicision for him and they are all WRONG!!!

diest, IF I turn the ie and ei around in my password today for this entry, I see the word deist which I memory serves me, weren’t Washington, Jefferson and Franklin each deist’s?

4. BlueWater says:

For anyone who doesn’t believe in evil, please explain the wholesale lying, people letting them get away with it, the media not covering it, the self-justification, the ignoring of their oaths, the election of an illegal, and on and on… Arrogance? While Obama clams to be a Christian, he has never once objected to being compared to Christ (a clue), and his team named the presidential auto something very presidential (The Beast). You can’t make this stuff up – it’s too nuts. There are bigger agendas at work here, and it would do people well to pay attention and change a few priorities…

Oh, I hate the loud crash of conflicting thoughts when they collide in my brain. It disturbs the quiet, behaving brain cells at rest! Here goes:

San Fran Nan (do click on “Brilliant Political Cartoon by Michael Ramirez” in the Daily Dozen list, BTW) denies knowledge of the Intelligence Committee’s discussions of the methods of interrogation.

There are demands for a special prosecutor and investigations and prosecution of those involved with being responsible for the methods of interrogations.

If the outcome of releasing memos/photos had been POSITIVE, don’t you suppose that not only would San Fran Nan’s memory would have been decisively better, but that she would have claimed RESPONSIBILITY for whatever?

I’ve heard that ignorance is no protection under the law. Guess this means that San Fran Nan is senile,i.e., incompetent! Otherwise, she’s a damned liar!

“Bluewater said” regarding Obama’s claim to be a Christian:

Like everything else that Obama says, one would have to be either a fool or totally ignorant (of the subject matter) to believe him.

On the one hand he says that he is a Christian, but, when asked if he belived that Christ was the only way to salvation, he said, with his usual condesending chuckle, “No, that’s not the God I believe in”. Now, just how does he reconcile that with Christ’s own words “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the Father except by Me”?

What level of hubris/self-worship must he have to claim that his perspective suplants even the direct words of the One he claims to serve?

Evil? Absolutely.

Old Bob

7. tm says:

So went from Carter II in the previous article and now we have Clinton II building the wall pre 9/11.

Flashback: Ashcroft Blamed Clinton Administration for “The Wall” between FBI and CIA
    From the testimony before the 9/11 Commission, reported in April 2004:

Attorney General John Ashcroft blamed what he called the refusal of the FBI and the CIA to work together during the Clinton administration for the failure to detect the plot for the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, quoting an FBI investigator Tuesday as complaining that “whatever has happened to this, someday somebody will die.” Ashcroft, a focus of fire as the commission investigating the attacks resumed its public hearings, said that for 10 years before Sept. 11, “a snarled web of requirements, restrictions and regulations … prevented decisive action by our men and women in the field.”

“Government erected this wall,” he said. “Government buttressed this wall. And before Sept. 11, government was blinded by this wall.”

Folks….wake up…this is just a ploy for the Democrats to take your eye off the real problems of the present by focusing your attention on the past…..the real problem is the USURPER in the White
    House and the DR.EVIL behind the face of the IMPOSTER by the name of George Soros…..he and his money are also behind this movement to hang BUSH and his administration!!

9. Jeffrey Shallit says:

The debate is very much about torture.

We cannot be hypocrites and try the Japanese for war crimes in World War II for waterboard, while doing it ourselves.

When we torture, we lose the moral high ground. Our enemies will then torture American servicemen with impunity, pointing to our example. We will see more McCains tortured, not fewer.

Furthermore, to show that we are serious about torture, we must bring to justice the people, including Bush and Cheney, who allowed this obscene practice to happen.

10. CAL says:

I call for the release of transcripts for all House Intelligence Committee briefings during Pelosi’s tenure on that committee!

Blue Water and Old Bob:

I second your comments! I have not been here lately as I have been doing some extensive reading and research…

While we don’t know exactly what role Obama is playing in this plan, it is so clear that we are heading for a one world government…careful study helps us connect all the dots. And obiously, this all will happen according to the book of Revelation…otherwise, I would have a hard time believing it! The CFR, the Bilderbergers, Trilateral Commission, NAU, SPP…when you mention these things, many think you are a paranoid freak! To that I say, do your research, and read the very words and statements of the people who are causing this march to world government!

People don’t want to believe it…they, out of their own perspective of decency, can’t imagine that there could be people who are planning horrible things…but not believing them does not make them FALSE!

I suggest reading Daniel Estulin’s book The Bilderberg Group. It will wake you up and challenge lots of ideas you have regarding what’s going on and who to trust.

Lisa in TX

Old Bob, that was great!

I think that AKA has made one true statement since he entered politics, and it was when he said, “My Muslim faith” to George Stephanopoulos, who “corrected” him with “Christian” faith.

And, when one accepts AKA’s own statement of his Muslim faith as truth, everything else he does and says unfortunately is in accordance with that mindset. For example, his bowing double to the Saudi king, his covering of Jesus’s initials at Georgetown University, and his statement that America is not a Christian nation.

It’s encouraging to hear comments from like-minded persons such as you, Lisa and Gail B.

And I agree that reading is one of the key missing ingredients in today’s population. I’ll get a copy of “The Bilderberg Group” and add that to my collection of pertinent information.

Right now, I have a stack beside my “reading” chair that includes “Atlas Shrugged”, “Inside the Revolution” by Joel Rosenberg, “Patriots” by James Wesley, Rawls (why the comma in his name I have no idea), Oswald Chambers’ daily devotions, and the Bible. Those, along with three newspapers (I maintain my sanity by reading the editorial pages of the WSJ), keeps me up pretty late at night.

I don’t know how Jeff does all that he does. He must read more than I do, plus classes, plus a young family. Amazing. We need to pray for him.

Old Bob