Good Night, and Shut Up

Assigned Reading: Keith Olbermann Offers $1,000 a Second for Sean Hannity Waterboarding
(FROM: Newsmax)

I’m no Sean Hannity, but if the money goes to charity as Olbermann insists, I’ll take him up on it myself. Even if I last for three seconds, that will likely far eclipse Olbermann’s charitable giving for the entire year. Of course, this particular arrogant joke of a journalist might actually be very charitable, but I cannot say for sure, as most liberals aren’t exactly known for their generosity. They’re far better at taking from some and giving to others rather than giving on their own.

After I’m done being waterboarded (and if I can solicit enough donations), I’d like to offer $1,000 to charity for every minute Olbermann stays alone in a closed, unguarded, unmonitored room with an unrestrained Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and a sharp, serrated knife. Perhaps, if he can hear himself think above the loud chant of “Allahu Akhbar” and has enough time to think before being serenaded with a KSM-performed special cover of the Mills Brothers’ classic, I Ain’t Got No Body, Olbermann might realize that, gee whiz, these people will stop at nothing to kill infidels like you and me. Good night, and good luck, indeed.

Even if Olbermann doesn’t agree to my counteroffer (or if it’s simply not feasible for other reasons), I’ll still gladly take him up on the offer he made to Sean Hannity. I’ll be more than happy to endure a few seconds of uncomfortable uncertainty if it will raise a few thousand dollars for the March of Dimes or the USO. Too bad our party-before-country leadership isn’t willing to similarly reduce the comfort level of murderers if it will save a few thousand American lives.

Comments

Patriots’ Turn

Out of a murky past the Usurper rose.
    Unconstitutional Laws he would impose..
    With minions and media they would devise.
    The plot of continual spreading of lies.
    And, with Congress they would meet.
    Also, those upon the Senate seat.
    Concocting a plan of Our Country’s fall.
    It would require them to “sell out” ALL!
    The Judges Courts they allow to Fail.
    Wrecking the balance of our Justice Scale.
    Just, for only, the Bankers Greed.
    They push through Bills they do not read.
    Believing they have sealed our Fate.
    By telling us that it’s to Late.
    But, wait! What is that thunderous sound?
    So very loud, it shakes the ground.
    Could it be millions upon millions of Patriots’ feet?
    That is marching, ever marching to Liberty’s drumbeat.
    Now, the good men will no longer ignore.
    The oath of allegiance that they did swore.
    Our Constitution is the key to restore.
    To the erosion of Freedom WE say. “No more!”

Kim American

2. PMSNBC says:

We need a rich conservative to pay Olbermann $1,000 a sec to keep his arrogant, infantile mouth shut. Man is that gut nauseating, like he’s in a Shakspearean drama all the freaking time.

3. tm says:

Action Alert:
    Read this :
    Ryan: Dems Will Rush Through Health Care

URGENT Watch the video:

Congress has pulled a move called
    "Reconciliation" Even Robert Byrd (D, WVA)is upset about this move today.

4. Dee says:

TM, the plan to hurry health care reform through is right out of Tom Daschle’s book. He writes that it should not be discussed. It should be attached to some other bill and voted on. The fact that this administration wants everything done in a hurry is very worrisome. They want no debate on anything.

5. tm says:

dee,
    I did not know that. And they couldn’t get the putz daschle in LOL. Even if your congressman or senator is a blue idiot call him. They are trying to get this all tied up and passed through before the 100 day mark as a present for dear leader – this is why that primetime press conference was called. Smoke and mirrors.

6. sharon says:

Oh yeah now the slime offers….. Now that it is illegal…..

Dee, I am very concerned as well regarding the health care.

actually?
    i dont dear keith will be able to hear beyond the sound of his heart beating like a drum.

8. Tigress says:

This is like saying you will volunteer for a mock auto crash. There is no real danger, no uncontrollable fear, and there is the feel-good knowledge of enduring something for the benefit of others. There is only temporary discomfort that you know will go away.

Try being kidnapped with no pre-knowledge, against your will, and going through the “enhanced techniques” with absolutely no knowledge of what the outcome will be.

I know everyone will say “well, the people on 9-11 had no choice…” etc, but we are not talking about committing terrorist acts on other people, we are talking about the interrogation techniques that WE have delineated for OURSELVES. I am not a terrorist sympathizer–I am talking about how we bind our own feelings and subjugate them to the laws we ourselves have written or signed on to.

Do we want our own people to be bound by our own laws or are we just going to give a ‘wink, wink’ to whomever we please because we FEEL their actions are ok? Do we allow the relative of a murder victim to assault the perpetrator in the courtroom because we FEEL it’s justice? And isn’t this type of lawlessness exactly what we get upset with Obama about (birth certificate, adhering to Constitution)? So breaking the law is ok, as long is it is our political faction doing it and not theirs?

Rule of Law–it’s one of the principles of our Constitution. (I welcome counterpoints, but if anybody accuses me of not loving my family or being un-American, I will not respond.)

9. goddessdivine says:

Olbermann is a moron. Why don’t these jerks get their facts straight that some of these techniques were used in extreme situations and that we were actually able to extract important information to save his own a#$?!

I like your idea of putting him in a room with a terrorist, and seeing how long he lasts. Or maybe we should pay him for every day he stays off the air. That would be more beneficial.

10. Interested Bystander says:

Tigress,

We honestly do not know if these techniques are torture or not.

According to those advising the Military, they are legal. You can have your opinion as to whether they are legal or not, and that what makes the US the best country in the World. The Congress was briefed, and from the reports I have read the most asked question was, “Is this ALL we can do?”

What you fail to recognize is that if you want to adhere to the Geneva Convention, do you not hold the enemy to the same standard? The Geneva Convention says that both combatants MUST wear uniforms. The terrorists do not. They should not receive the benefits of the Geneva Convention. That’s why they ARE NOT called POW’s, and are deemed to be enemy combatants.

Only in the US would being going through interogation with a doctor present, and with no threat of physical harm, be considered torture.

Now I would challenge you to not put yourself in the shoes of the kidnapped, but put yourself in the position of having someone kidnapped from your family, and the police capture one of the kidnappers, but they have no idea where your family member is being held. To what extent would YOU want the police to go to get information from the captured kidnapper?

That’s the standard that should apply, not what the Geneva Convention says.

These terrorists are animals, and should be treated as such.

11. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

These terrorists are animals, and should be treated as such.I disagree.

I treat my dog a heck of a lot better than these terrorists deserve to be treated.

As an aside, one concern I haven’t voiced about this whole detainee photo thing:

JEFF SCHREIBER SAID:

“Once we start treating these murderers like common, American thieves in American courts of law, I worry that the ACLU types will use these photos to purge damaging testimony, and work to get them off scot-free.”

This could be the exact reason for releasing the photographs. Because the way this regime thinks, it would not surprise me to learn that the regime expects the ACLU to it!

i just heard the news that secret information was stolen this past wk from a usa gov. secret proyect, the source said that it could be china or russia, does anyone knows anything about this?????

14. tm says:

From the NY Post:
    100 DAYS, 100 MISTAKES
    SARAH PALIN, GLENN BECK AND OTHERS ON OBAMA'S SHORT, ERROR-PRONE TIME IN OFFICE

15. Tigress says:

Regular interrogation techniques work and there have been lies about the results from and effectiveness of torture. This is from a former FBI agent who has testified to Congress and speaking out to counter some of the false claims associated with the memos that were recently released:

I wish we could make the enemy follow the Geneva Convention, but they did not sign onto it–we did. As a matter of fact:

“President Lincoln instituted the first formal code of conduct for the humane treatment of prisoners of war in 1863. Lincoln’s order forbade any form of torture or cruelty, and it became the model for the 1929 Geneva Convention”

The above is from an article that also describes our founding fathers’ position on treatment of prisoners: http://www.commondreams.org/views05/1217-30.htm

The enemy knows we have tortured and this endangers the lives of our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. This I find an abomination. Torture is totally counterproductive:

“Alberto Mora, who served as General Counsel of the Navy under Donald Rumsfeld, testified to the Senate Armed Services Committee in June 2008 that “U.S. flag-rank officers maintain that the first and second identifiable causes of U.S. combat deaths in Iraq–as judged by their effectiveness in recruiting insurgent fighters into combat–are, respectively the symbols of Abu Ghraib and Guantánamo.”

That is from an interview with Major Matthew Alexander, the military interrogator whose interrogations helped the US locate and kill Zarqawi: http://harpers.org/archive/2008/12/hbc-90004036

I understand the feelings people have about terrorists–they are vile, deplorable and care nothing for humanity. But we cannot let our emotions cloud our judgment as to what is right for the United States.

16. HERE KITTY KITTY says:

a tigress with no claws

17. Tigress says:

Wow, I am entirely unimpressed with your non-existent rebuttal.

18. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

Tigress, allow me.

First, these aren’t “prisoners of war.” They weren’t fighting in uniform. They weren’t fighting in formation, or at the behest of a central command unit.

Second, one FBI agent does not a policy make. Who knows exactly why he testified the way he did? Heck, Pelosi told some lies this week. Heck, Bill Clinton lied under oath. Are we really willing to stake our security on the testimony of one FBI agent?

Third, I don’t buy the egg vs. chicken argument that the so-called torture, or any of the Bush policies in particular, caused terrorists to rise up against the West. There were no such alleged practices before the USS Cole was bombed. There was no Abu Ghraib scandal before they tried to take the World Trade Center down the first time in 1993. There was no so-called “Bush Doctrine” in Munich in 1972, either.

These people want to kill us, and they would as soon cut your throat or mine, regardless of what we do.

I am NOT advocating that we start cutting off fingers, or that we sew their rear ends closed and keep feeding them, and feeding them, and feeding them. I’m NOT saying that we should be intentionally causing these people measurable pain — just pour some water on their heads and give them the ILLUSION that they are drowning.

If you really want to know about whether or not the PERCEPTION of harm was effective, petition your president to release the other memos that he was too afraid to release with the others.

– Jeff

19. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

Incidentally, let’s just say for a moment that torture is NOT off the table.

Let’s say that you’ve got a captured terrorist and a pair of garden shears.

If that terrorist has actual knowledge, much like KSM was known to have knowledge of pending attacks, how many immediately-endangered American lives would it take before you’re willing to take off a terrorist’s pinky finger?

500 people who will certainly die if you take the high moral ground?

10,000 people?

What about an Iranian suitcase nuke in a major American city? Is it really worth it for him to be able to hold a wine glass all fancy-like?

Where do you draw the line?

20. Jeffrey Shallit says:

Of course, you have no idea how much Olbermann gives to charity, but that doesn’t prevent you from defaming him.

Don’t you have any integrity? If this blog is worth anything, why not do the journalistic legwork required to find out, instead of casting aspersions?

21. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

I have enough integrity to point out what I don’t know, which is more than can be said for Mr. Olbermann.

I don’t know–yet–about charitable giving, but he sure doesn’t like to pay his taxes:

My problem with him isn’t charitability, anyway. If you believe that’s my problem with him, perhaps you should get some reading lessons.

But just for you, though, Jeffrey, as soon as I finish with my goddamn 21-hour days, I’ll go about finding out Olbermann’s charitable giving habits.

Once I know, I’ll let you know.

Until then, try to keep your comments focused on substantive political issues, if you dare.

You can start by answering the hypotheticals I posed in the comment above yours — as much as I don’t want to inflict pain (waterboarding ain’t painful), at what point is some pain warranted?

What’s your cutoff? Or are you fine with letting any conceivable number of people die before you make these people uncomfortable?

Look at it this way: You can either pull the curtains when an alcoholic gets drunk or you can call a spade a spade and not attempt to hide the fact that he’s drunk. In other words, you can be an enabler or not; you can allow yourself to be used or not.

Politics is the same way. Either call people on when they cross the line (defame them?) or shrug your shoulders in denial (let them use you). If they don’t want the truth known, they should make better choices.

Jeff Schreiber points out the poor choices. Deal with the facts, not what you WANT to read!

23. Tigress says:

I sincerely appreciate your rebuttal. We disagree. The articles I cited are from people who served our country honorably and deserve our respect (which I know you and everyone here gives them), so I have no reason to doubt the veracity of their experiences.

I know it doesn’t work sometimes, but I prefer to look to the rule of law as opposed to the feelings of those in power to point to what to do at the moment. If we allow those in power to break our laws at their discretion, we have tyrants as overlords, and our way of life–the shining beacon on the hill–is a sham.

PS-That one is NOT ‘my’ president.

24. UNDER OATH says:

Tigress,

tho it depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is.

25. Tigress says:

We don’t even have to look to the Geneva Convention–our Congress (Republican at the time) passed the War Crimes Act of 1996 by overwhelming majority in both House and Senate, signed into law by Clinton.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/2441.html for the text

Much as I would like for the whole thing to fade away and be forgotten, I am also getting sick and tired of elected hacks from both sides of the aisle giving the finger to our laws. We the People deserve so much better than this!

26. Jeffrey Shallit says:

Gail:

“Jeffrey Shallit, that was uncalled for. Who gives a rat’s a$$ what Olbermann gives to charity?”

You’re right, Jeff Schreiber’s slur was indeed uncalled for. So why is Jeff Schreiber bringing it up when he doesn’t know the facts?

Gail, if you don’t care whether Olbermann gives to charity, then take it up with the owner of this blog, not me, since he was the one who introduced the issue.

Jeff:

Ronald Reagan is your hero, right? Well, 25 years ago Ronald Reagan signed the UN convention against torture. And here’s what he said when he signed it:

“”The United States participated actively and effectively in the negotiation of the Convention. It marks a significant step in the development during this century of international measures against torture and other inhuman treatment or punishment. Ratification of the Convention by the United States will clearly express United States opposition to torture, an abhorrent practice unfortunately still prevalent in the world today.
    The core provisions of the Convention establish a regime for international cooperation in the criminal prosecution of torturers relying on so-called ‘universal jurisdiction.’ Each State Party is required either to prosecute torturers who are found in its territory or to extradite them to other countries for prosecution.”

For more information, go read

How low the conservative movement has fallen! From Ronald Reagan’s principled signing of the convention, to apologists for torture.

27. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

Sorry, Gene, I actually do understand your line of thinking, and certainly do understand the declaration …

… but your entire argument turns on waterboarding being torture. I don’t believe it is. If waterboarding is torture, then what else is? Yelling at somebody? Calling them names? Too much starch on the sheets?

And, Gene, you never answered my question — let’s actually talk about torture for a second, perhaps about cutting off a finger like Che Guevara was fond of doing.

If doing so will extract information that will absolutely save American lives, how many American lives is worth it?

Ten lives saved for cutting a finger off? One hundred? A thousand?

Or would no amount of innocent Americans be worth taking a pinky from a murderer?

It appears that Jeffrey Shallit has nothing better to do than to defend Moron Olbermann and divert attention, just as the other Obots are doing, while I worked on my lawnmower.

I got ‘er running, too!

Get a life, Jeffrey Shallit.

29. conservative in exile says:

Jeff, Gail, Jeffrey, and Tigress,

Waterboarding has been a part of our military training for decades. Not on how to do it, but how to overcome it. Many a man in uniform who has attended SERE have been waterboarded. Waterboarding is not torture, it is an effective interogation technique. When conductly properly, it does not result in any long term physical or mental harm. Find someone who was captured by the Japaneese during WWII and you can learn what torture really is.

As far as the Olbermann Challenge, I wish I could fill in for Sean because I would bankrupt Olbermann. At $1,000 per second for charity with the conditions being exactly the same as we used, I can hold out until Olbermann is broke and do it laughing. The problem is we can never use the technique successfully because our enemies now know exactly how we used the techique. Having this knowledge is what makes the technique no longer a potential method of gaining intelligence and protecting our nation. It becomes a simple case of mind over matter. Knowing that you are truly never in danger and that a doctor is over seeing the procedure, I would absolutely enjoy the whole process knowing I am proving the point of why we should not have released this information, demonstrating the lack of credibility that Olbermann has and taking all of his cash.

Conservative in exile–

I’m not against waterboarding. I used to be against it, however. There were instances where someone had to be given a tracheotomy and oxygen, but our leader, Jeff, will tell you that a “trach” is a far better surgical procedure than lopping off the head. (God! That was AWFUL!)

Your comment makes me even more comfortable with waterboarding. Thanks to both of you for your thoughts that changed my feelings about it.

Thank you, too, all you veterans. It still makes me cry when I think about how scared I was for my uncle during WW2. I knew that “all those Japs and Germans” (as I understood the war) were just out there trying to shoot him. I deeply sympathize with every child of a serviceman who has been deployed. I worry about your own safety, too.

Why can’t we just all get along? Why can’t we just declare all our laws that are unconstitutional null and void, let Congress take a long break, and let everyone live a peaceful life?

I believe that those who seek to control are out of control; and if the shoe fits AKA Obama, Pelosi, Reid, et al, so be it! I’d rather be writing, painting, and swimming than fighting Congress.

Thanks again, Conservative in Exile. Thank you, too, Jeff.

(Jeff’s exam is tomorrow and another one next Wednesday. He’s gonna be scarce! Pray for him! We need him to get through school.)

31. Tigress says:

from another patriot and service member: