Common Sense on Interrogations From Rep. Peter King

With regard to the ongoing debate over possible prosecution of Bush administration officials involved in the enhanced interrogation of terrorists by the Central Intelligence Agency, one Republican congressman’s statements have cut through the political couching seen on both sides of the aisle.

That congressman is New York Republican Peter King who, according to Politico, stated that the GOP would need to adopt a “scorched-earth” procedural approach and grind all congressional activity to a halt if the Obama administration kow-tows to the far left and brings charges against those who either authorized or carried out waterboarding and other techniques used to gather information from noncompliant terrorist detainees. He went on from there:

“If we have another 2,000 people killed, I want Nancy Pelosi and [liberal philanthropist] George Soros, John Conyers and Pat Leahy to go to the funeral and say, ‘Your son was vaporized because we didn’t want to dump some guy’s head under water for 30 seconds.’”

Thank you. My goodness, thank you.

When–not if–we have another jawdropping morning when Americans from coast to coast stare in disbelief at their television screens as images of death and horror are broadcast, the Democrats will be very much to blame.

Once again, Democrats are putting party before country, now even worse than during the height of the Iraq war when Nancy Pelosi attempted to drum up hundred-year-old controversy about the Turkish slaughter of Armenians in the early 20th century. At a time designed to undermine our efforts in Iraq simply for political reasons, Pelosi dusted off a decades-old procedural measure officially recognizing the slaughter as “genocide.” The Turks were outraged, and threatened to pull overflight and base privileges for our military, both crucial to supply lines needed by American troops in harm’s way in Iraq.

This time, Democrats are intentionally undermining efforts taken to keep this country safe from radical Islamic terrorists, measures which clearly have worked. This time, just like last, they’re doing it for purely political reasons. This time, however, mark my words — it will result in the spilled blood of innocent American men, women and children.

Even the Democrats’ intent to consider criminalizing intelligence gathering measures, coupled with the White House’s habit of changing rules of engagement overnight, will be enough to destroy morale and erode the confidence of those on the front lines of the intelligence wing of the Global War on Terror. Who, in their right mind, would want to follow orders today knowing that, tomorrow, Nancy Pelosi and her ilk will stand up, argue that they never knew anything about anything, and call for a show trial?

When terrorists kill innocent Americans on American soil–and they will, because people willing to strap bombs to children don’t seem to care about whether we suddenly criminalize the face-slapping of their murderous cohorts–it will be up to each and every one of us to demand that Nancy Pelosi, Barack Obama and the rest of those Democrats more interested in party politics than national security stand up, look into the eyes of the families who lost mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters, and explain to them that no, they wouldn’t do everything possible to protect America, that no, they wouldn’t make heartless killers uncomfortable, even if it would have saved their families.

ADDITIONAL READING:

Nancy Pelosi, April 23, 2009:
“In that or any other briefing…we were not, and I repeat, we’re not told that waterboarding or any of these other enhanced interrogation techniques were used”

The Washington Post, December 9, 2007:

In September 2002, four members of Congress met in secret for a first look at a unique CIA program designed to wring vital information from reticent terrorism suspects in U.S. custody. For more than an hour, the bipartisan group, which included current House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), was given a virtual tour of the CIA’s overseas detention sites and the harsh techniques interrogators had devised to try to make their prisoners talk.

Among the techniques described, said two officials present, was waterboarding, a practice that years later would be condemned as torture by Democrats and some Republicans on Capitol Hill. But on that day, no objections were raised. Instead, at least two lawmakers in the room asked the CIA to push harder, two U.S. officials said.

“The briefer was specifically asked if the methods were tough enough,” said a U.S. official who witnessed the exchange.

Comments

it is time for the republicans to start defending our nation¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
    it is time form to get their a&& off the ground and fight

Bah, big surprise – liberal fat cats gambling citizens’ lives over a political gain. Lived in Israel, been there, done that. It is a great and pleasant surprise, however, that someone in Congress grew a pair to stand up to them. It will be even greater surprise when someone will go an extra step and call treason by its true name.

A thought crossed my mind today that might be worth sharing. I wish some conservative in the Congress would voice the following: taking White House officials to court opens Pandora’s Box both ways, and it is Obama, Pelosi, Reid and some of their henchmen who might end up as defendants in 2013.

I keep telling you folks, Obama is dumb like a fox and the adoring American public is being set up.

He knows that the controversy over putting the prior adminstration on trial for engaging in practices that likely saved thousands of American lives will tear the country apart. It will be a “red meat” issue for both the MoveOn.org folks and for the “patriots” and the conflict will be fierce. I am convinced that he will fuel the fire until the kettle blows so that he has a wide-open field for revolutionizing the country.

Keep an eye on the events to come and then we’ll see if I’m right or not. As far as I can tell, he’s following the script perfectly. I’m not claiming to be clairvoyant (where the heck is SpellCheck when I need it?), but I simply don’t believe that a stable, prosperous, ammicably bi-partisan, society lends itself to his revolutionary plan to remake the U.S. into a country that is more to the liking of his South American friends and our enimies in other parts of the world. Chaos – financial and otherwise – is the medium that he will choose to bring about this end.

His goal is to “raise up the oppressed”(which, as understood within the context of “Black Theology”, means “all people of color”) by tearing down the structure that has produced the wealthiest, most powerful, nation in history. He will find common-cause with Marxists and Socialists and Islamists to achieve that end. That is his mission and I believe that he will do everything in his power to achieve it – everything.

So don’t be decieved into thinking that this is just another political phase in the history of the U.S. To steal a title of a best-selling business book, it is the “tipping point”.

As for me and my wife, we’ll be there for you with our wallets and our “boots on the ground”, Robert, when the next election rolls around, but in the meantime, we’re putting all of our resources and efforts into preparing a “safe place” for our children, our grand-children, and our soon-to-be-born great grandchild in case (when?) the “fertilizer” hits the fan.

Your faithful optimist, Old Bob

4. tm says:

I’m down here in dc, believe me – change on our side is definitely in the air as well as on the table.
    My friend, America will win.
    Politically speaking I think what you are seeing is a power hungry, novice administration showing its a** – given enough rope and time it hangs itself.

Agree with everyone. There is enough out there- from every angle-to finally bring all the messes to fruition.

Maybe there will be some forthcoming resignations. We can only hope the evidence of these various issues will be enough to do in the henchmen and their boss(es).

Pelosi gets her integrity from Obama, I think. She had to have been asleep as the lead Democrat on the Intelligence Committee! Otherwise, she is lying.

If the Regressive Democrats keep it up, and proceed to prosecute those connected with interrogation methods, they will get NO COOPERATION from the Republicans! This is not “how to win friends and influence people.”

How about MSNBC and GE?! Cute, huh?

7. Ann says:

Jeff

I am so glad that there are others as concerned as I about what is happening to our Home. I just received an interesting e-mail from a friend with a video that had been removed and has been rerouted through Canada.
    Check it out

Ann

i ask the question why communist do not leave the democratic party alone, and impose their marxist agenda from the communist party, the demo party has been hijacked by these extremists commanded heavens knows by how and with what purpose, (maybe the denver group), with all the hints of marxo-fascist: youth militia, cult to 1, purge, turned around the country´s institutions,etc

9. PATRICK HENRY says:

It’s only sedition if it isn’t patriotism. FIGHT PEOPLE. The spirits of the founders are with us.

10. Lilly says:

So Pelosi didn’t read back then either. Seems like she needs to go back to grade school.
    I really don’t think that there’s going to be any prosecuting of anyone at the CIA or the ones that gave the orders. That would lead to discovery and FULL disclosure and that is something that BO, Pelosi and Reid do not want. I think BO opened it up as an option just to look good to the libs. That just my thoughts though. It is great to see some conservatives in Congress finally find their spins though!

11. Bodenzee says:

This proves to me that Nancy Pelosi lied. Does she ever tell the truth? Is she even capable of recognizing the truth?

Clearly she is unfit to be a member of congress.

12. Bodenzee says:

Don’t think that Republicans will abandon the Democrats. I have two, Snowe and Collins that never met a Democrat that they wouldn’t support.

13. PUS*IES says:

We should execute instead of waterboard, anonymous A**.

14. READ HISTORY FOOLS says:

George Washington HIMSELF Had people hanged who showed just this kind of allegiance….

15. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

GONE. I didn’t see it when it came through the moderation mechanism.

MAKE MY JOB EASIER — THERE WILL BE NO TOLERANCE FOR ANYTHING REMOTELY CONNECTED TO CALLS FOR HARM OR DEATH FOR ANY PRESIDENT, SITTING OR OTHERWISE.

If you see it, PLEASE e-mail me, tell me where it is, and I’ll take care of it.

Come on, people, have some common sense. Especially you right-wing extremists. The left, I expect it from.

I fully support your admonition, Jeff, regarding suggestions of violence.

I know that I voice strong opinions (and sometimes frightening scenarios), but I abhor the thought of violence as a means of redress. In fact, that is my greatest fear, that some yahoo will do something that will bring condemnation on all of those whose only goal is a return to a Constitutionally-guided republic.

If anything that I say in my comments implies (or encourages that line of thought), it is totally unintended and please let me know, pronto. I’d rather be banned from the blog than bring disrepute to your great forum.

Old Bob

17. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

Thanks, Bob.

I’ve actually been considering opening up an actual discussion forum to correspond with America’s Right, but have been turned off to the idea because I lack the time to moderate it.

Me, too, Old Bob. Fortunately, Jeff knows I don’t get upset with him when I get so overly irate in a comment that he doesn’t post it.

Jeff, you have exams coming up faster than Mexicans coming over the border! The comment section is just fine (for now, anyway) for discussion.

Keep the lamp of freedom lit (that means the time you are awake) and study by it!

> I've actually been considering opening up an actual discussion
    > forum to correspond with America's Right, but have been
    > turned off to the idea because I lack the time to moderate it.

Give moderation rights to your contributors, make it easier on yourself. I'd say they are most trustworthy sort. But I agree, we do need a forum and you need to spend less time moderating and more writing and studying.

20. CAL says:

I think this business over torture, prosecuting the Republican lawyers and now releasing the photos are all part of Obama’s use of the Cloward Piven strategy to cause chaos in the government taking the public’s eyes off of the real problems-Obama’s desire to pass more of his radical agenda such as nationalized healthcare and cap and trade.

I have begun a zazzle.com site to create bumper stickers amd buttons protesting this obama and his agenda. My stickers highlight facts about obama that cover his life and politics. There are many damaging things in his past that have been forgotten or coverd up and I hope to make others aware of them. I would like to make some profit sure but my greater desire is to help to expose this fraud.Please look into my site 43rdsfan and many of the others on zazzle.com. Bumper stickers and buttons are seen by far more people that most of these great sites. Thank you and keep up the good fight.43rdsfan