From Romney, an Excellent Summation of Obama’s Foreign Policy Errors

Assigned Reading: A Timid Advocate of Freedom
(FROM: National Review)

Due to work and school obligations, I don’t have much time to put proverbial pen to paper today. Still, I read this piece while taking a moment to breathe, and thought it a good summation of Barack Obama’s foreign policy blunders and overall approach.

I know there are a good number of Mitt Romney detractors out there, and I understand where people are coming from in advocating for a certain candidate over another, but if at all possible, read the piece for a moment without paying attention to the byline. Read the piece as though it were written by an unnamed editorial board or by somebody low-profile like myself (suspend disbelief a little though, as my wallet isn’t nearly as thick as Romney’s).

Regardless of its author, I found it to be an excellent, excellent piece of writing. That it was written by a man who could be a contender for the 2012 GOP nomination, though, was an added confidence-booster. And yes, I would have said the same thing if it were written by Mike Huckabee, or Sarah Palin, or any other conservative leader.

Comments

The timidity is not only Obamas but Mr. Romney as well. Not asking for Obama’s credentials during the campaing has forever sentenced Mr. Romney to the trash bin of candidates.

Get back to your studies or work, Jeff! As much as I admire you and your writing, you could not have said it any better.

Oh, this is priceless! A left-wing extremist is put on the FBI’s Most Wanted Terrorists List, on the heels of Napolitano’s assessment of right-wing terrorists! (And this guy is identified as a left-winger in the story.) I wonder if Napolitano and San Fran Nan know about this yet!

From The Associated Press:

FBI’s New ‘Most Wanted’ Terrorist Is U.S. Animal Activist

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:25 PM

WASHINGTON — For the first time, an accused domestic terrorist is being added to the FBI’s list of “Most Wanted” terror suspects.

Daniel Andreas San Diego, a 31-year-old computer specialist from Berkeley, Calif., is wanted for the 2003 bombings of two corporate offices in California.

Authorities describe San Diego as an animal rights activist who turned to bomb attacks and say he has tattoo that proclaims, “It only takes a spark.”

A law enforcement official said the FBI was to announce Tuesday that San Diego was being added to the “Most Wanted” terrorist list. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the announcement ahead of time.

San Diego would be the 24th person on the list, and the only domestic terror suspect.

FBI spokesman Richard Kolko declined to comment on the pending announcement.

The move to add a domestic, left-wing terrorist to the list comes only days after the Obama administration was criticized for internal reports suggesting some military veterans could be susceptible to right-wing extremist recruiters or commit lone acts of violence. That prompted angry reactions from some lawmakers and veterans groups.

An arrest warrant was issued for San Diego after the 2003 bombings in northern California of the corporate offices of Chiron Corp., a biotechnology firm, and at Shaklee Corp., a nutrition and cosmetics company. The explosions caused minor damages and no injuries.

A group calling itself “Revolutionary Cells” took responsibility for the blasts, telling followers in a series of e-mails that Chiron and Shaklee had been targeted for their ties to a research company that conducted drug and chemical experiments on animals.

Officials have offered a $250,000 reward for information leading to his capture, five times the reward amounts offered for other so-called eco-terrorists wanted in the U.S.

In February, the FBI announced San Diego may be living in Costa Rica, possibly working with Americans or people who speak English in the Central American country.

Law enforcement officials describe San Diego as a strict vegan who possesses a 9mm handgun. On his abdomen, he has images of burning and collapsing buildings.

The FBI’s “Most Wanted” terrorist list is distinct from the much longer-running “Ten Most Wanted” list. Al-Qaida chief Osama bin Laden is on both.

There is another American already on the list, but he is wanted for his work overseas for al-Qaida. Adam Yahiye Gadahn grew up in California but moved to Pakistan and works as a translator and consultant to al-Qaida.

© 2009 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Word to verify: funro (Fun Row)

No matter how powerful one presumes Obama to be, it is the willing participants who allow his agenda to be successful. Obama is but a cog in a much larger wheel that turns with apparent ease. At the moment, this administration appears to be a well-oiled machine to those unwilling to look deeper. We all ought to be demanding full disclosure of the “man” behind the curtain. Wake up America! We’re not in Kansas anymore.

5. Ian Thorpe says:

Back from my short break and getting in gear. Having not previously known much about Mitt Romney apart from an unfortunate incident involving a dog and a car I have to say his argument is impressive, He writes with great style and I have a feeling that speaking (off teleprompter) he will make Obama look like an amateur too,

6. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

Glad to have you back, Ian.

Romney has some problems with his conservative bona fides, chief among them a bloated universal-type healthcare program from his days as Massachusetts governor.

And, while most of his indiscretions can be rationalized by having to deal with the bluest of the blue states, he still lauds the healthcare program.

Still, in the past two years, he’s spoken as articulately about the conservative message as anyone, and given his financial chops, he’d be formidable in the upcoming election should he choose to run.

7. Dee says:

Gail, thank you for the delightful article on the left-wing domestic terrorist. It did my heart good to see that.
    Mitt is right in his article. Why did BO not remind these countries of the many Americans who died to save them? He is not proud of the USA and could care less about the people. He sees himself as the world’s saviour. However, the world does not see him that way.
    I keep telling myself that “what goes around, comes around”. His supporters think he is doing a great job and that will last as long as he continues to preach “free everything” to them. Once they are hurt in the pocketbook, they may see things differently.

Oh, you’re quite welcome, Dee!
    ——————————

NC Congressman Walter Jones just sent me another email. Here’s his take on yet one additional Obama Policy Error:

JONES REACTS TO U.S. TRADE REP’S COMMENTS ON NAFTA

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Representative Walter B. Jones (R-NC) today reacted to U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk’s statement that the Obama administration can strengthen provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) without renegotiating the pact. Backing off President Obama’s campaign rhetoric supporting renegotiation, Kirk said on a teleconference with reporters that President Obama and Mexican President Felipe Calderon “have both said they don’t believe we have to reopen the agreement.”

Congressman Jones’ statement follows below:

“It is extremely disheartening that President Obama would backpedal on his promise to level the playing field for the U.S. by renegotiating NAFTA. Since 1994, the United States has run a $342.1 billion current account deficit with Canada and a $618.7 billion current account deficit with Mexico – a combined deficit of $960.8 billion. Clearly, NAFTA needs fixing.”

“As a result of badly negotiated trade agreements like NAFTA and CAFTA, the U.S. has lost 4.5 million manufacturing jobs since 2001 – 364,500 in North Carolina alone. The loss of jobs and the negative implications of an unlevel playing field with our NAFTA partners are clear. Trade deficits do matter and have real world consequences for American workers. President Obama and U.S. Trade

Representative Kirk need to fix NAFTA and work to ensure that future trade agreements do not repeat the failed NAFTA model.”
    ###

(I’ll bet Walter knew about the Tea Parties, too! To be honest, Obama’s decisions and actions sorta make me wonder for whom he is working.)

9. tm says:

Ok Jeff, I concede, if I did not know who wrote the article – It was a very articulate piece. Maybe, I am too prejudiced about romney’s record. He has the politician flip flop problem.

10. goddessdivine says:

Great article. And yes, Mitt is quite articulate…..who doesn’t rely on a teleprompter.

I particularly liked his last line: “I’m hoping for change”. That seems to sum it up.

Gail B,
    ‘Is it asking too much for the President of the United States to have better sense, a better grasp of the world, a little class, a more “presidential” demeanor, or perhaps some common decency?’

It IS asking too much, because he is NOT the president of USA! He is just a lying, cheating thug, traitor who should be thrown in a pit full of big fat ferocious rats.

Anonymous at 8:52 p.m.–

When you quoted my remark, didn’t you notice that I said, “Is it asking too much for the President of the United States…,” rather than “Is it asking too much for Obama….”

THE OCCUPANT of the White House, the man sitting at the Resolute Desk, not AKA Obama as a person.

See the difference? Hey–We’re on the same team!

13. CAL says:

I am tired of you apologizing every time you say something nice about Romney. What do you have against the guy? He has been a successfull businessman and politician and a good husband and father. I have not heard of one personal scandal which is rare with any politician. He is extremely intelligent and capable. There is noone out there that you can agree with 100 percent on all issues. So there is no need to feel embarassed if you find points of agreement with someone.

14. CAL says:

Romney’s editorial is the best case yet why it is important for an American President not to play nice with dictators. I think Obama sympathizes with Chavez and Ortega. I think Obama would like to be in complete control of third world country where the dictator controls every aspect of the citizens lives. America is slowly being remade into the image of its third world neighbors if Obama stays on the course that he is. That is apparently the change we have voted for.

15. JEFF SCHREIBER says:

Cal,

I don’t want to push any particular candidate on people — that’s not what I do here. Still, it seems that I’ve been writing non-stop about Romney. And that’s because, clearly, he’s been on point a whole lot recently.

Right now, if I had to vote, I would vote for Mitt. I guess I’m overcompensating a little bit, but I really want those who aren’t in his camp to look past the Ken Doll-face and the suit, to look past the past indiscretions, and see what’s percolating there now.

I was a liberal Democrat nine years ago. I’ve made quite a leap rightward. People need to have faith that Romney is capable of doing the same, and for the right reasons.

– Jeff

PS — And since you’ll ask, folks, if I could pick the best ticket right now for 2012, it would be either Romney/DeMint or Romney/Sanford.

The best of all possible worlds, the ticket I think would be the most effective in terms of bringing everyone in and getting the job done right — Romney/Huckabee. My goodness, they would compliment each other nicely, but unfortunately the two camps are just at each other’s throats.

I would hope DeMint, Sanford or Huckabee never stoop low enough to be on a ticket with Mitt-flip.

17. CAL says:

Thanks for clarifying. Do not know what you mean by Romney’s indiscretions. You must be referring to his flip flop on some social issues.

I do not know a politician who has not changed his mind.

Gail B, I know you are on the same team. Sorry I might not have expressed myself clearly.
    It is clear you are referring to Obama when you said you are asking too much for him to have a little class, more sense ….
    I was just venting that of course you can’t ask that of ‘president obama’ because he is NOT really the president!

Anonymous at 9:12–
    Here’s a hug!

20. HUGGIES says:

Democrats hug trees, we hug each other.